• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really great that the draw of KyoAni has been reduced to the SDBurton equivalent of retarded harem tropes.

NGLekWN.gif

Taruranto

Having only watched the anime and not read any of books I just have to say: FUCK!!!.

Where do the books stand in relation to the anime? What book follows on from the end of Second Raid?

A Dancing Very Merry Christmas. Not worth, but then again i think FMP is overrated LN garbage.

Tenumi

Banned
DokiDoki! Precure: 21

This was a great episode, at least to me it was. High stakes, confrontation, and decisive moments.
Regina looks like she's firmly on the Precure side now, and with the next episode preview, we'll be getting Cure Ace, which I expect to be her.

--------------------------------------

A little side note about my watching impressions. I tend to think of myself as a bit more laid back viewer. I tend to not have to much issues with most shows. If it interests me, I'll watch it, if it doesn't, I don't. It takes a bit for me to think a show isbad. I know that others disagree with this, and I'm sorry if I got on anyone's nerves, especially last week's Precure.

I guess in a way, I'm the casual Anime watcher. Companies must love me...

cajunator

Banned
I learned something new today.

Knowing how the ending is gonna go already, if they're following the manga, i'm probably gonna be pissed at every episode till the bitter end.

Yeah it was inevitable that he would choose poorly. Hes a complete idiot of a protag.

Just wanted to say thanks and that I'm reading your post and others offering recommendations, even if I'm not responding. And I appreciate that my thematic hangups are being respected. Thanks again.

I was wondering if you might enjoy Kino's Journey. Its a pretty serious show overall with actual philosophy and human theme exploration. Highly recommend it. Only thirteen episodes and some ovas.

Just another shout out that Theonik's efforts to remember to make constant butt puns are neither forgotten nor pass unappreciated. This right here is some dedication to a running gag, people.

It would be so easy to make an ass of things butt he pulls off the feat.

Muromi-san 12

Why do I feel like I just watched a softcore hentai?

Well that's what Kuttsukiboshi was. >.>

Taking what I can get, as soon enough we'll be knee deep in swimming, upper body, and fujoshi pandering. :(

Hey, don't forget the fudanshi! >.>

Which leads me to think, Miracle lights in the Doki Doki movie will utterly kill me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ending was more like GoGo and Fresh's movie.

Better yet, would they even NEED Miracle Lights since Mana is here?

I can't wait to see what unholy terror the Dokidoki girls need to fight in order for Mana to get a power-up. (Who wants to take bets on the name of the power-up? I'm thinking Cure Sweet Heart).

CorvoSol

Worst Girl. I didn't actually hate her (there wasn't enough there to go either way for me), but she was a missed opportunity. I don't think she needed to be another
quasi-love interest
. I think they should have just focused on making her a likable comrade and everything else would have flowed from there. Either way there wasn't enough time to build her up properly.

About Mao and Sagara.
The way she tries to play off Kurz's death like she didn't have feelings for him while Sagara just keeps apologizing. And then she finally lets it all out, telling Sagara that he can't die too. Man, that shit hurt. Especially because not once does she even think to point the finger at Sagara, which is what I was expecting her to do.

=((((

I keep telling people Mao is Best Girl but no one ever listens. Her relationship with Sousuke isn't romantic, but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the most meaningful ones he's got.

Gankutsuou #5

Whit this background, I'm expecting Dios to drop from the sky any second now.

Well, close.

I'll never, ever get over that hat.

Having only watched the anime and not read any of books I just have to say: FUCK!!!.

Where do the books stand in relation to the anime? What book follows on from the end of Second Raid?

It goes from Dancing Merry Christmas on, but the Christmas arc, at least in the manga, isn't that big of a deal. You mostly need it so you can see,
Sousuke tell Tessa he doesn't love her.

A Dancing Very Merry Christmas. Not worth, but then again i think FMP is overrated LN garbage.

Dagger in my spine. I can't call FMP overrated when it feels like I'm the only one round these parts what talks about it.

Dancing Merry Christmas, though the first volumes do things pretty differently from the TV series. If you like the franchise, it's worth reading.

yami4ct

Madoka Magica 3

Now THIS is the show I was expecting. Well, by the end it was. The beginning 2/3 were as boring as the last two episodes.

Ok, so let's see how I've done on my prediction list from last time.

Bad mother? She comes home drunk, so yep on that one. I knew she was a bad role model, but she only is getting worse

Mami dying? Saw that one coming, too. Didn't think it'd come that quickly, though. It wasn't hard to see coming. Death flags abound, but oh boy was that death brutal. What's worse, you can say she died because she was finally not alone. She was so excited to have friends, she got careless and lost her head.

Evil catbbit? Sure seems like it, still. It's remarkably pushy. It's desperately wants to push these girls into deathly situations. And its reaction to Mami's death? Nothing at all. No remorse, no surprise, no facial emotions. It just pushes the other girls harder to get a replacement. That thing is evil, kill it with fire

The stage is now completely set for the show to be what it's going to be. I really appreciate that. Now, I hope it invests in making its characters more likable. All these situations mean nothing if I don't like the characters, which right now I don't particularly.

One question I have to ask. I don't think the answer will spoil anything, but don't bother answering it if it does.
Are there any limits on what these girls can wish for? What would stop Madoka from wishing for Mami's death to be undone? I assume that'll be answered next episode, but I'm going to be really annoyed if they sweep it under the rug.

Hattori

Banned
Yeah it was inevitable that he would choose poorly. Hes a complete idiot of a protag.

I was wondering if you might enjoy Kino's Journey. Its a pretty serious show overall with actual philosophy and human theme exploration. Highly recommend it. Only thirteen episodes and some ovas.

It would be so easy to make an ass of things butt he pulls off the feat.

Kino's Journey is amazing, I second this recommendation.

Madoka Magica 3

She was so excited to have friends, she got careless and lost her head.

One question I have to ask. I don't think the answer will spoil anything, but don't bother answering it if it does. Are there any limits on what these girls can wish for? What would stop Madoka from wishing for Mami's death to be undone? I assume that'll be answered next episode, but I'm going to be really annoyed if they sweep it under the rug.

1.) I see what you did thar. :D

2.) It depends. It'll be explained later how the wishes work.

yami4ct

1.) I see what you did thar. :D

2.) It depends. It'll be explained later how the wishes work.

1) You accidentally undid my spoiler tag. My want to edit the end tag back in.

2)Ok, exactly how I thought it was going. Just making sure I didn't miss something.

EDIT:You fixed it already. Good. Hahaha.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - 01

Holy shit this new villain (?) is a badass. She went
ham on Nanoha with her rocket hammer. But thankfully my girl Fate has returned to protect her love. Get hype!

Shergal

Gargantia 12

The show has been quite bland for the last couple of episodes, especially with the change to the mist-filled place and the art inconsistencies. I don't really have much interest in what they're trying to do, and the plot became predictable as hell too.

I was hoping the action would be better this week, especially with Kameda on board and all, but honestly it was a rather weak effort. The CGI robots were weightless, the camerawork and choreography were pretty mediocre and the 2D effects were nothing special either.

Going to watch the finale to see how it wraps up and then hopefully the two OVA episodes will be back to an enjoyable laid-back tone.

Oofuri 7

Good conclusion.
Should have just had them actually have tears and such when Kanou started speaking and mentioning that he would be all lonely with Mihashi gone.
. They dont have many baseball matches in this do they?

dumbyugi

I didn't think all of them had been professionally translated? Also I don't know that there are any bookstores round these parts anymore. Barnes N Noble got shut down and all.

The first 4 novels were released by Tokyopop but they are very hard to find. There is a group translating the novels but they're only at the begining of volume 1 and are very slow.

cnet128

Banned
Madoka Magica 3

Bad mother? She comes home drunk, so yep on that one. I knew she was a bad role model, but she only is getting worse

Dude. Stop hating on the best mother ever. Just...stop.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 25

Beach episode! I can't say I expected to see our new villain getting caught up in a heated
kakigoori selling
battle XD So much for any chance of taking her seriously.

That said, I'm grateful to her for one thing: she gave us
confirmation that Michiru and Kaoru are still alive, just being held captive by Akudaikaan
! Hells yeah, that's what I like to hear. Now just hand over all your Miracle Drops, because the sooner we collect them all, the sooner we can restore all the Fountains, and the sooner all the Fountains are restored, the sooner the Cures can head back to Dark Fall and save their friends!

Also in this episode: Moop and Foop reminisce about their lives in the drained Fountain of Sky, and how Michiru and Kaoru were tsundere as fuck even back then. Seriously, those two were never cut out for evil at all. I'm pretty sure saving the lives of cuddly little spirit creatures does not earn you any points on the Scale of Villainy.

e_i

Doki Doki Precure episode 21

Mana is the BEST PRECURE EVER.
Or at least near the top
I squeed through the whole
lava pit scene. "Daisuki Mana-chan"

Regardless of my opinion of the show, I find myself listening to both SAO OPs on loop. They aren't bad at all.

Anyway, I finally finished Darker Than Black. Gonna check out the first episode of Utena later tonight... Oh, and BRS TV, because I promised SeraphisCain I would.

yami4ct

Dude. Stop hating on the best mother ever. Just...stop.

Wait, wait. Do you actually think she's a good mother? How? She seems absent from the house most of the time, she come's home drunk, when she is home and talking to her daughter she constantly blabs about herself instead of trying to get to know her daughter and her problems. I know being a working parent is tough, but this lady is just super selfish. She acts like she isn't a parent at all.

Wait, wait. Do you actually think she's a good mother? How? She seems absent from the house most of the time, she come's home drunk, when she is home and talking to her daughter she constantly blabs about herself instead of trying to get to know her daughter and her problems. I know being a working parent is tough, but this lady is just super selfish. She acts like she isn't a parent at all.

I think she's a fairly believable character. Madoka's mother may not be the greatest woman who ever lived, but she's a decent mother, despite being a flawed person (like most good characters). You're acting like she's a female Gendo Ikari instead of a hard working woman who occasionally has a few drinks.

NeonZ

Does Regina
even need to be a Cure? She is already stronger than all four of them.

The main problem with Regina not becoming a Cure is that it means she certainly will just become a villain again, or a damsel in distress, until near the finale, making the show spin in circles. We won't get a non-Cure Regina becoming basically a team member until the show is almost ending and they have no more merchandising to push.

On top of that, it also means she won't get to do anything in later movies. Just look at the
second duo from Splash Star.

Well that's what Kuttsukiboshi was. >.>

Hey, don't forget the fudanshi! >.>

I can't wait to see what unholy terror the Dokidoki girls need to fight in order for Mana to get a power-up. (Who wants to take bets on the name of the power-up? I'm thinking Cure Sweet Heart).

Oh god. That could work actually.

7Th

The main problem with Regina not being a Cure is it means she certainly will just become a villain again, or a damsel in distress, until near the finale, making the show spin in circles. We won't get a non-Cure Regina becoming basically a team member until the show is almost ending and they have no more merchandising to push.

I think she will become
an actual Cure in the usual 30's climax, when they ave to fight an enemy Regina's current abilities are worthless against.

yami4ct

I think she's a fairly believable character. Madoka's mother may not be the greatest woman who ever lived, but she's a decent mother, despite being a flawed person (like most good characters). You're acting like she's a female Gendo Ikari instead of a hard working woman who occasionally has a few drinks.

She's only shown up for like 5 minutes over 3 episodes, but as of right now this is the impression I get. It might change. It would change dramatically if she actually started talking to her daughter about her issues rather than blab about her work tales all the time.

The main problem with Regina not being a Cure is it means she certainly will just become a villain again, or a damsel in distress, until near the finale, making the show spin in circles. We won't get a non-Cure Regina becoming basically a team member until the show is almost ending and they have no more merchandising to push.

On top of that, it also means she won't get to do anything in later movies.
Just look at the second duo from Splash Star.

..... FUCK! SHIT! ASS!

I FORGOT ABOUT THIS. That is the worst part of the Allstar DX movies.(also spoiler that last part please).

cnet128

Banned

She's not a traditional mother, certainly, because this is a progressive family with a working mother and a stay-at-home dad. But she's a really passionate person who throws herself completely into her work, and still finds plenty of occasion to spend quality mother-daughter time with Madoka and give her lots of honest advice and life lessons.

Syrinx

Hyouka 9

They''re called "whiskey chocolates" for a reason, Chitanda. Though how do you get that drunk just by eating whiskey chocolates? There should be enough chocolate in there so that you at least don't pass out. But hey, it was fun while it lasted.

And since when were horror and mystery considered the same genre?

I'm assuming next episode Oreki will determine who the killer is supposed to be.

yami4ct

She's not a traditional mother, certainly, because this is a progressive family with a working mother and a stay-at-home dad. But she's a really passionate person who throws herself completely into her work, and still finds time to spend quality mother-daughter time with Madoka on a pretty regular basis, and give her lots of honest advice and life lessons.

I have seen absolutely none of this so far. If she starts exhibiting this trait, than my opinion will change. My biggest complaint so far is she seems really selfish, but that's just what's been shown of her thus far.

I feel like you may be judging her based on a whole series of seeing her rather than seeing my opinion as just my impression as she exists right now.

cnet128

Banned
I have seen absolutely none of this so far. If she starts exhibiting this trait, than my opinion will change. My biggest complaint so far is she seems really selfish, but that's just what's been shown of her thus far.

I feel like you may be judging her based on a whole series of seeing her rather than seeing my opinion as just my impression as she exists right now.

Well, I feel like the coolness of Madoka's mother was pretty apparent from their interactions right back in episode 1. But it's true that it will probably become more apparent once you get the chance to see more of her.

zeroshiki

I would be fine if Free turned into a Slam Dunk! where the brolust is in the fangirls' minds rather than a Kuroko where the brolust is explicit.

I mean, there's a way to appeal to fangirls while being discreet about it. Let's hope they take that path.

Syrinx

They have one conversation in particular that stuck out to me. I forget which episode it was, but it was one of my favorite moments in the series.

Edit: In that the piece of advice just really resonated with me and struck me as a piece of advice I probably would have liked to have had in my life at a younger age.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Worst thing to ever happen to the genre? Worst thing to ever happen to the genre. All part of Anno's master plan to end Mecha forever.
CGI mecha was a thing way before Anno decided to take a dump on top of his own legacy.

cnet128

Banned
They have one conversation in particular that stuck out to me. I forget which episode it was, but it was one of my favorite moments in the series.

Edit: In that the piece of advice just really resonated with me and struck me as a piece of advice I probably would have liked to have had in my life at a younger age.

I think that'll be Episode 6.

Branduil

I would be fine if Free turned into a Slam Dunk! where the brolust is in the fangirls' minds rather than a Kuroko where the brolust is explicit.

I mean, there's a way to appeal to fangirls while being discreet about it. Let's hope they take that path.

I see no reason to think that's the way they're going based on the previews.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

But where's the fun in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom