• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
. Any one of us here has a list this long and longer of things that we enjoy that have nothing to do with a 100x120 image, which is why my skin crawls when it's used to dismiss anyone wholesale for any reason--I'm sure you're more than aware of what happens if you voice a controversial opinion in a Nintendo thread with a Microsoft avatar, for instance. GAF has wonderful ideals and I'd love to see more people actually living up to them.

Yeah, this is something that I have to deal with, although I have my fair share of controversial opinions on Nintendo things.

Japanese animation is just something that I like, no more and no less than anything else that I like. I'm an aspiring history professor, I enjoy traveling, cooking, and photography, I adore most premium cable dramas and comedies, I stay informed on politics and current events, I take care of several animals, I game, I'm learning woodcrafting, and I even have several "boring old man" hobbies that I'd probably also be mocked by GAF for like model railroading and antique collecting.

Now I'm feeling insecure about my own lack of hobbies :/

CorvoSol

Lol, why does it sting? Just curious. DId you think I was older?

I thought you were older than I am. I didn't realize I was several years older than you, haha.

He feels inadequate compared to your long tag.

And the youthful virility of his avatars.

Escaflowne 15
Holy shetttttt Dilandau is a girl?

Man AnimeGAF sure long to read at these day.

You gotta spoiler this stuff, Ferty. It's one of the most mind blowing moments of the entire show.

Also, JIJUUUUUUCAA! JIJUUUUUCAAAAA! JIJUUUUUUCAAAAAA!

I know that when I ran with an anime avatar, I noticed people responding to me differently. It's one of the reasons I stick with this one, actually that's partially a lie, I'm just too lazy find make a better one.

CorvoSol

I keep my avatar because honestly how could I ever find a better one than this?

Yeah, tell me about it. I basically read, write, play games, and occasionally watch tv shows or anime.

I garden, hike, am studying international politics and relations, speak two languages, and read four.

I'm also woefully unemployed and squandering my summer break thinking about what Utena's bike shorts mean rather than brushing up on classical versus neo liberalism, which I'll need to know in a month or two.

Jintor

I like AnimeGAF even if I don't even bother to catch up on overnight posts anymore

Yeah, tell me about it. I basically read, write, play games, and occasionally watch tv shows or anime.

Duder, that's plenty of hobbies. Personally I find I just need to cut down on the time I spend arguing about inconsequential bullshit on the internet...

I do write myself every now and again when something is on my mind. Analysing things, suggesting ideas (like the half serious there should be more dating sim aspects in games) and other things, although I tend to rush things.

Come to think of it.... I don't have too many hobbies. I don't even read :/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Now I'm feeling insecure about my own lack of hobbies :/

If it makes anyone feel better, just because I like doing something doesn't mean that I actually get the opportunity to do it often. I'm too broke to actually travel or cook right now; I just watch TV and experience it by proxy :lol

I also have hobbies that I liked but I just straight-up stopped participating in because I sucked at them. See: art, writing, all sports.

CorvoSol

Jealous.

I'd like to be halfway competent at another language instead of just this shitty pidgin Chinese I can manage.

Well, when I say I "read four" what I mean is "I am fluent in English and Portuguese, and I studied enough French in Highschool that I can muddle my way through a text in French or Spanish by converting it to Portuguese in my brain."

I gained this skill by living in Brazil for two years. It was a marvelous experience. The downside is that now that I'm a full hemisphere away again, finding ANYONE to speak, and not like internet chat but actually vocally communicate with in Portuguese is a pain.

Skiing doesn't really seem like an affordable hobby sport to me unless you live in a good region for it though.

Well I'm in north east US, so that's a pretty good region. It's not like parts of Alaska or Vermont, but we do have quite a few ski places within 40 minutes of here.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I thought you were older than I am. I didn't realize I was several years older than you, haha.

Ah, I see haha.
And the youthful virility of his avatars.

<3

Pretty much all I do. Except for the writing part. Also, I play random VN's.

I keep my avatar because honestly how could I ever find a better one than this?

I can't imagine you with a different avatar :x

Jealous.

I'd like to be halfway competent at another language instead of just this shitty pidgin Chinese I can manage.

I spread myself too thin with languages. I became semi-competent in Spanish, French, and German, except I haven't had any reason to use them for years and now I don't remember much of it anymore. I could probably read a newspaper in those languages, but beyond that...

Jintor

Well I'm in north east US, so that's a pretty good region. It's not like parts of Alaska or Vermont, but we do have quite a few ski places within 40 minutes of here.

Ah, well, undoubtedly I am influenced by living in Australia and not seeing snow until I was 6 when we went somewhere for that express purpose

CorvoSol

The real reason is because my avatar appears in a GIF with the avatar of my brother that Sunhi made once upon a time.

When your avatar is in a Sunhi.gif, however briefly, you don't just go changing it.

Jealous.

You and me both. I was born and raised in Murrica and my Chinese was so awful that I could barely make myself understood when I was in China a few months ago for vacation.

You know, I could use someone to practice with if you're interested.

Skiing doesn't really seem like an affordable hobby sport to me unless you live in a good region for it though.

Well I guess I live in alaska, but I don't like skiing.

Haven't really done art in about a year or so, not that I'm great at it. Not fully decked out to try digital drawing either.

Dresden

I can speak Korean, and muddle through English, but the one thing I'll always regret is taking Spanish over Japanese for my mandatory language courses. I like to believe that my weebish interests would have aided in comprehension, or effort, or something. Instead I can count to ten or so after two years of Espanol.

Jintor

Well, when I say I "read four" what I mean is "I am fluent in English and Portuguese, and I studied enough French in Highschool that I can muddle my way through a text in French or Spanish by converting it to Portuguese in my brain."

I gained this skill by living in Brazil for two years. It was a marvelous experience. The downside is that now that I'm a full hemisphere away again, finding ANYONE to speak, and not like internet chat but actually vocally communicate with in Portuguese is a pain.

I spread myself too thin with languages. I became semi-competent in Spanish, French, and German, except I haven't had any reason to use them for years and now I don't remember much of it anymore. I could probably read a newspaper in those languages, but beyond that...

Spanish is on my hitlist after Japanese, but the way things are going, it's going to be another decade before I get Japanese down... I'm hoping total immersion by hopefully going to Japan to stay for a year or two, and not having to balance it with Law at the same time, will help out, but... I don't know, I might just not have a head for languages

Took Spanish and Japanese in school, but I'm pretty awful at both. Also had to learn Hebrew, which pretty much exited my mind the second I finished my Bar Mitzvah. English is all I'm fluent in, and even that I can't speak good.

Jintor

I honestly have no ability to read Chinese at all. It's pretty depressing considering I went to a language school for that exact purpose for years and years. All I got out of it was a profound ability to cheat my way through language courses...

I'll say this though I feel pretty good at art. I'm not fantastic or anything, but if I can get the right kind of picture in my head I can generally find a way to express it digitally/on paper. Eventually. Given enough time.

survivor

Banned
I'm learning French as a third language so I can go to France and visit Kurita. Plus it might give me a slight advantage in getting a job in Ottawa, Montreal or whatever Canadian city that likes French.

I do want to learn Japanese for my weaboo interests so I can read whatever manga I want, but I don't have the time or the motivation for that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The only language that my rural ghetto high school offered was Spanish so I took that, and it was taught at the pace of the slowest kids in the class so I basically memorized the book in two weeks and slept for the remainder of the year. I can still read it fairly well, but I can't understand a lick of spoken Spanish. It's too damned fast.

I guess I can speak a little Japanese. I actually just discovered this week that there's an old Japanese lady a couple of houses down from me named Masako. I wonder if she'd give me conversational lessons if I paid her :lol

I also called the hotel in Paris that my sister is staying at this week and asked in French to be connected to her room. It felt gratifying to be understood even if it was only like one sentence.

Ro-Kyu-Bu! OVA
M7GxGsP.png

ixonIf8.png
5 minutes in and I already feel like a criminal. I can't do this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
@Mad Pierrot's post:

Err... did something happen over the weekend? o_O

Long story short, Tamerlane got banned in the Wire vs. Sopranos thread, someone noticed that another poster did the "lol anime avatar" thing and wasn't banned, there was the usual discussion on OT culture and mod policies, and Stump actually came here with an amazing post explaining everything.

Jewelpet KiraDeco 42

Nostradamus Tonzuradamus has predicted that the world will end tonight! And you know what horrors await us if that happens?

jsN4IJX.jpg

Heaven forbid! Only the cute girl messiah Milky can avert this dreadful fate! By hosting a dance competition!

So, yes, another enjoyable episode of absurdity. What I didn't enjoy, though, was all the sweet potato propaganda:

gbhKxRT.jpg

Sweet potatoes have a revolting taste; it's a disgrace that they're being peddled to kids like this.

Speaking of kids, I now have a reason to sit through the ED as it's now featuring real girls dancing:

They're so adorable.

Also, Angela and Labra in toilets:

yYKQ7sf.jpg

Why? Why not?

I spent the better part of five years learning Spanish, but now I can barely read a passage (it's actually hilarious, I accidentally turned on the spanish subs for Kuttsukiboshi, and I could sort of follow along, but I ended up listening to the Japanese audio instead.) XD

I can't speak Spanish worth a damn, but it's much easier than Japanese is. See, I never really had an inkling to learn Spanish. Right from the onset back in middle school I wanted to learn Japanese, but they only offered French, Italian and Spanish. The majority of my family can speak Spanish, so I went for the easiest of the choices.

I started learning Japanese by myself in high school, but only really learned how to write the kana. It was until college that I finally took a course in Japanese (and the first month was learning kana anyway, so I was ahead of the curve there). My hope is actually to be fluent enough to be a translator some day. I'm starting my second year studies when September rolls around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What is this from? And should I be watching it?
New NBC show called Crossing Lines starring William Fichtner and lots of European people.

Other than actually being shot in Europe, I'm not sure there's really anything there that distinguishes from your standard "team of cops with dark pasts solve crimes" though. But if you like Europe, you could do worse?

---

Ghost in the Shell: Arise
mEDjVcAl.jpg

Robot? More like moe-bot, amirite guys? Hello? Is this thing on?

That was pretty cool. It almost makes me want to check out the second movie and maybe the television series... but realistically, that won't happen. Still, looking forward to whenever the second episode will come out.

Jintor

Maou-sama 07

Man, Maou's enthusiasm about his promotion is kind of contagious.

I love this dumb character dynamic here between all the characters.

zeroshiki

Long story short, Tamerlane got banned in the Wire vs. Sopranos thread, someone noticed that another poster did the "lol anime avatar" thing and wasn't banned, there was the usual discussion on OT culture and mod policies, and Stump actually came here with an amazing post explaining everything.

Ahh... well, good rule of thumb is to ignore the people who go "lol anime avatar" since their opinions are probably not worth your time anyway. Sucks about Tamerlane getting banned.

The correct answer would have been West Wing over those two anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom