• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
What is the most lewd anime sister gif y'all got around to nuke that thread with?

can't be too lewd... but straddle that line.

Dude, quit pushing the boundaries. Its not worth it for a cheap laugh.
Plus I wont be able to see that adorable avatar for a while. Or forever at this point because youve already used up a bunch of lifelines. Dont do stupid things.

Dude...if you really think that saying "but there's lots of incest pandering anime out there" is going to make people think that the subject matter is any less distasteful or make them any less disturbed that people watch it, or that it's any less weird, then I really don't know what to say.

I'm going to go take a nap with my kitty.

Im saying only that its normal in the context of what exists in anime. There are far more fringe topics than siscon.

Mature

Patlabor TV 1

Perhaps the main feature of the Patlabor franchise that separates it from other mecha series is its mundanity. The TV show drives that home, since it starts with Section 2 containing and arresting a drunk driver (albeit not doing the greatest job of containing). I like this treatment of mecha as just big vehicles, as opposed to amazing crazy superpowered weapons. It keeps things on a more human, approachable scale.

Speaking of humans, this episode served as a good (re)introduction to the central cast. Despite this being a different continuity from the OVA/movies, their personalities are still the same. (I wonder, will they ever show the actual pilots of Section 1?) I really liked how the scenario was designed to show off Noa's enthusiasm, affection, and aptitude for Patlabors. Having her get accidentally mixed up in the already formed Section 2 makes for a stronger character introduction than just dropping everyone off all at once like the OVA did. While Yamazaki and Shinshi got shafted as always, Asuma, Ohta, Shinobu, and especially Goto, whose laid-back nature steals the show, got their chance to shine as well.

The production values have taken a substantial hit from the OVA, as is to be expected, and these character designs will take some getting used to. The downgrade from the OVA OP to the TV OP is even more painful. But I think the scenario and character work, which should be explored in a way the OVA didn't do much of, will make up for that.
I've read that the movie continuity is significantly more muted than the TV series. It would make me hesitant to start it.

Detective Conan 200:
This episode did a pretty good job with the Kogorou/Eri relationship, even though Kogorou was absent for much of the time. It was nice to see once again just how smart Eri is, and how determined she is. Ran, on the other hand, was a complete idiot, regularly completely missing the point of what her mother was trying to do, and even actively hindering her with her own stupidity. The final scene with
Eri listening to her recording of Kogorou talking to her and asking to get back together
was very touching.

Yamamura, as per usual, is a complete idiot who fails to get anything right at any moment.
Ran falls victim to the unfortunate reality of regularly being surrounded by geniuses. It's kind of like how Solid Snake in the Metal Gear series has a genius level IQ, but just happens to be around people who are the smartest, so he in turn looks dumber.

I didnt say every anime fan had to enjoy those genres, just that they are prevalent enough not to be weird. Theres nothing in Oreimo that wasnt explored to some degree before in other anime. Its really not a strange thing to see anime pandering to siscon.

Yeah. Never have unterstood the fuss around oreimo. It's not that much different from billion other shows and the incest has been pretty damn tame so far. Sure there is incestous undertone in it but posts what you see in gaming side every time Oreimo thread pops up like ''why is this sit allowed'' and '' I am so disgusted by this'' feel like little overreaction. Not to mention that the same people play games like GTA happily even though the games have some questionable content but I guess shooting people is normal.

Mature

Bro your still a junior. You should be wary. I don't see why you need to do that in the thread its pretty much over run with anime-gaf. Everyone in gaming side has left so you ain't going to get the reactions you may hope for.
He aint a Junior because he's new though, haha.

Blusby

Yamato 2199 Chapter 5 (15-18): Awesome shit,
ties up the subplot of the Izumo plan and also makes the struggle for power within the Empire all the more clear with the assassination attempt, before all we had was the magic elf chick givin' funny looks to specific people (though to be fair she gives funny looks to everyone). Domel is in rouble but by the looks of the trailer for Ch. 6 he'll take center stage and my dear Melda will become relevant once again :).
I'm kinda iffed though that Yamamoto hasn't really done anything in the past 8 or so episodes passed her quarrel and acceptance of Melda, it's almost like that was the end of her whole character arc (she never really had an plot relevance anyway). Also comatose Iscandarian princess as the navigation system (Lol).
Overall I liked this chapter though not as much as chapter 4 with its great horror-esque ep 14. The next chapter looks amazing from what I have seen in the trailer and I can't wait for it to be released. I'm probably going to watch the original Yamato when I can find the time.

cajunator

Banned
Bro your still a junior. You should be wary. I don't see why you need to do that in the thread its pretty much over run with anime-gaf. Everyone in gaming side has left so you ain't going to get the reactions you may hope for.

ahahaha.

No he has been around a long time.
He created some threads that didnt go over very well. thats why Im telling him not to push his luck. he already has one foot out the door. But I agree with chickdigger on a lot of things so I dont want to see him go :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
is SNAFU anywhere near as good as Henneko is? Cause Henneko is AWESOME.
SNAFU is a mess. The characters do a really poor job of distinguishing themselves, and moments where they cross paths and should be reacting off each other don't have any snap to them. The show bloats itself regularly on lengthy cynical monologues on friendship that are essentially nonsense, and the show is incapable of properly raising the stakes to create meaningful climaxes both within episodes and across the series as a whole.

cajunator

Banned
maybe~

But man is the show quite lewd these eps.

A cruel world we live in when one can get banned for posting screen captures and gifs from anime in the official anime thread.

True it has gotten a bit lewd in the most recent eps. Particularly with that one scene with Azusa.

SNAFU is a mess. The characters do a really poor job of distinguishing themselves, and moments where they cross paths and should be reacting off each other don't have any snap to them. The show bloats itself regularly on lengthy cynical monologues on friendship that are essentially nonsense, and the show is incapable of properly raising the stakes to create meaningful climaxes both within episodes and across the series as a whole.

And what do you think of Henneko by comparison?

I've read that the movie continuity is significantly more muted than the TV series. It would make me hesitant to start it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "muted". If you mean more atmospheric and evocative, less comedic, then yes, most definitely, since you're dealing with Oshii vs. not-Oshii. I think it's likely that the TV series will have better treatment of the characters besides Goto though.

Jex

I'm not sure what you mean by "muted". If you mean more atmospheric and evocative, less comedic, then yes, most definitely, since you're dealing with Oshii vs. not-Oshii. I think it's likely that the TV series will have better treatment of the characters besides Goto though.

Pretty much everyone in the TV series gets a fair amount of attention or, at the very least, their own one off episode. There's even some really great Goto stuff later on.

Mature

I'm not sure what you mean by "muted". If you mean more atmospheric and evocative, less comedic, then yes, most definitely, since you're dealing with Oshii vs. not-Oshii.
Since my experience with Patlabor is just the two Oshii films, I wouldn't know if they're films that work because they jive with the franchises typical themes and feelings, or because they flip it on it's head and make it something more profound.

dimb

And what do you think of Henneko by comparison?
I'm only four episodes in on Henneko. I'll catch up on it this week or next. Henneko has done a much better job of drawing strong bonds between characters by placing them in difficult situations together. Clear goals are set and followed through on, so the show feels like it moves at a decent pace and we get genuine character progression even over short periods of time. Snafu is terrible about these things.

Jex

Attack on Titan won't win for the same reason Sword Art Online didn't win. It's less of a Jojo thing where everyone who watches anime loves it because it's a throwback to an old classic. It's more of a Toonami thing where lots of people who probably don't watch anime, don't post in anime threads, and don't care about anime in general just find it really cool. If it's the only anime they watch, they're not even going to bother "voting" in an AOTY thread.

In the end raw popularity doesn't mean much in GAF's AOTY, there are many other factors.

And thank the lord for that.

Just read the oreimo thread

*sigh

Uninformed people spouting nonsense while some animegaffers had some oil to the fire.
Seriously guys let it die next time.

Dresden

Gobelins, the school of visual communication in Paris recently (well, in the last few weeks) started putting up the student-animated shorts made for Annecy up online. The archive is here, and I guess they'll upload more as time goes on.

GOBELINS, l'école de l'image is the pioneer school in digital communication and interactive design. For nearly 50 years, GOBELINS has trained the talent of tomorrow in the fields of photography, both interactive and graphic design, animated filmmaking, entertainment and immersive animation as well as the communication and graphic industries. GOBELINS is a vibrant community 700 students coming from all around the world.
Our philosophy is to support the freedom of the students to express their creativity!

Some really beautiful work there.

Jex

I think both sides have something to hark about.

1) The costumer design is a bit revealing (school girls don't wear that) but I think the bigger problem is who fights in skirt? You know whats going to coem from this...

Well, the Air Master, for one:

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We're going to need a proper list of hummingbird accounts. Noticing some non AnimeGAFfers following me (including one of the admins(?))

cajunator

Banned
I'm only four episodes in on Henneko. I'll catch up on it this week or next. Henneko has done a much better job of drawing strong bonds between characters by placing them in difficult situations together. Clear goals are set and followed through on, so the show feels like it moves at a decent pace and we get genuine character progression even over short periods of time. Snafu is terrible about these things.

Having not seen SNAFU I cant really draw comparisons myself but I agree that Henneko is surprisingly well developed for a semi-harem show. I say semi because its mainly between two girls, and the MC only seems to really be interested somewhat in one of them.

Dresden

My favorite:

z9UZGDF.png

dimb

Having not seen SNAFU I cant really draw comparisons myself but I agree that Henneko is surprisingly well developed for a semi-harem show. I say semi because its mainly between two girls, and the MC only seems to really be interested somewhat in one of them.
There are only two girls in the running in SNAFU as well. They are really lame and middle of the road though.

I think both sides have something to hark about.

1) The costumer design is a bit revealing (school girls don't wear that) but I think the bigger problem is who fights in skirt? You know whats going to coem from this...

2)She looks pretty badass and serious about fighting. If this show nails the fighting the "sexualisation" will easily be ignored.

it's harder to name anime girls that don't fight in skirts these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom