• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Mars of Destruction

Well, that was considerably dull. You win, jgminto. This is the most flat and uninteresting entry on "The List" I've seen to date. Thankfully, it was only 20 minutes.

yami4ct

Valvrave 08

Going into this season, I expected awful, melodramatic modern AU Sunrise garbage, I was so so so wrong. Damn, show of the season right here folks. Fantastic.

Jex

I feel a bit silly for not knowing that the name Valvrave is a pretty clear reference for the Valarvn in Danish folklore. At least that explains the design of the raven on the outside.

Branduil

I feel a bit silly for not knowing that the name Valvrave is a pretty clear reference for the Valarvn in Danish folklore. At least that explains the design of the raven on the outside.

You should never blame yourself when Japan's terrible attempts at spelling other languages are to blame.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mars of Destruction

Well, that was considerably dull. You win, jgminto. This is the most flat and uninteresting entry on "The List" I've seen to date. Thankfully, it was only 20 minutes.
Yeah, if you're not into seeing moe troops get killed in silly ways it can fall extremely flat. Should remember to couch it more in the future.

CorvoSol

Valvrave 08

Going into this season, I expected awful, melodramatic modern AU Sunrise garbage, I was so so so wrong. Damn, show of the season right here folks. Fantastic.

Even though it does still contain awful, melodramatic Sunrise garbage? Cuz that's the only description for the way the student council president freaked out that his pet computer nerd had someone else inside her cardboard box.

yami4ct

Not knowing much about any european folklore other than Norse, I would have never got this. Pretty awesome catch there. Makes some of the symbolism around the units make a lot more sense.

Even though it does still contain awful, melodramatic Sunrise garbage? Cuz that's the only description for the way the student council president freaked out that his pet computer nerd had someone else inside her cardboard box.

This is melodrama with a purpose though. The show's melodrama adds to the comedy, instead of dragging the show down like it did in crap like GSD.

wonzo

Banned
'tis sad to see more people not appreciate the masterful sound design present in Mars of Destruction (╯︵╰,)

it seems IDEA FUCK can never catch a break

yami4ct

Hmmm, reading that article, the ravens gain mystical powers that lead people astray and had terrible superhuman abilities. Wonder if the Valvrave power is going to end up leading our heroes down a dark and evil path. Who am I kidding, of course it is!

Dresden

jewelpet kira deco - 01

This has to be the ugliest anime bus I've ever seen.

0EL3zHz.jpg

As with most of the other tacky, shiny things in the show though, it's handled wryly enough that I didn't mind. The proliferation of junk in the show is so gauche, but it's amusingly subversive about it.

Some of the more daring details--like their creation mythos being based around a girl go-go dancing under a legendary mirror ball--got me pretty damn good. The end took an interesting turn, with the appearance of the hot-blooded KiraDeco 5. I was entertained.

note: opal-hime is my favorite jewelpetthing

Articalys

Extended Blu-ray sales list for May 20-26:

-- (*22) --- *1,619 **1,619 **1 D.C. III ~Da Capo III~ v3
-- (*23) --- *1,580 **1,580 **1 Magi v5
-- (*26) --- *1,344 **1,344 **1 Sasami-san@Ganbaranai v3
-- (*31) --- *1,019 **1,019 **1 Robotics;Notes v5
-- (*33) --- **,993 ***,993 **1 Rozen Maiden BD Box
-- (*38) --- **,875 ***,875 **1 Nozoki Ana Sexy
-- (*41) --- **,818 ***,818 **1 Fairy Tail -Haou no Miko- LE
-- (*43) --- **,712 ***,712 **1 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun v7
-- (*47) --- **,626 ***,626 **1 Shinsekai Yori v7
-- (*48) --- **,624 ***,624 **1 Zetsuen no Tempest v5
-- (*57) --- **,478 *11,202 **2 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! v6
-- (*72) --- **,349 *18,767 **5 Love Live! v2
-- (*73) --- **,339 ***,339 **1 Mangirl!
-- (*74) --- **,337 **3,188 **2 Tamako Market v3
-- (*78) --- **,319 *34,725 **5 Girls und Panzer v4
-- (*81) --- **,308 **5,447 **3 Seitokai Yakuindomo Kaette Kita OVA
-- (*88) --- **,277 **2,335 **2 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha v3
-- (*89) --- **,269 *25,903 **5 Sword Art Online v7
-- (*94) --- **,250 ***,250 **1 Hikaru no Go BD Box Pro Kishi-hen v2
-- (*98) --- **,242 *15,442 **5 Macross FB7 Ore no Uta wo Kike!
-- (*99) --- **,240 *27,752 *10 Love Live! v1

K-On! 12 END but not really

FuwaFuwa Time

Wow, Yui, you picked the perfect time to be sick AND not make it a gag either! You made Azusa worried, and she merely put up that front because she wants a hug ;-;

AND on top of that, you forgot Gitta!

Ui continues to be quite the good girl, proving she's even more awesome than Yui (like everytime she appears).

As the our final show, it was nice to remind us of not just Yui's journey, but our journey to this "conclusion" of this show, of cute girls doing music things, where character interactions was sublime in all of the moeblob given to us to look at. The end show was pretty great, but we still a goal in sight to say that K-On! isn't over yet.

Jubern

ZZ Gundam 24

It's sort of depressing to know that even in the future bigger powers are using Africa as their own personal stomping grounds. It makes sense, but is still depressing.

Also, can anyone who knows UC Gundam explain: After Zeta Gundam, did the Titans just collapse altogether, or are they just a severely weakened force? If the former, does that mean the AEUG took control of the Earth?

Titans were disbanded, yes. The AEUG's goal was never to seize power, so it went back to the regular federal forces doing their job without the Titans shitting on them. If I'm not going stupid, the power was technically always in the Federal government's hands, it's just that the Titans controlled them and the parliament, at least until Char's speech and the revelations of the atrocities the Titans did. So the same incompetent fools are still in place.
Despite defeating the Titans in the Gryps conflict, the AEUG didn't really dealt with Neo Zeon and are considerably weakened too. The Federal governement being the same dicks as always, they're thinking of maaaaaybe talk things over with Neo Zeon. So they officially recognize the AEUG, the bigwigs still see them as a possible nuisance that might make negotiations fail.

Not really related to ZZ's story, but
the AEUG is officially disbanded some time after ZZ, with their people being integrated into the regular forces and, a few years later, Londo Bell.

I've resigned myself to the fact that Free! isn't going to be the Kuroko's Basketball of swimming anime, but rather the K-On! like others have said. I'm still going to get my :DTL's worth out of this.

Articalys

Also, now that we know the Mangirl numbers, the full Winter 2013 First Volumes lifetime-to-date sales ranking is complete:
27,752 10 Love Live! [BD]: 2013/03/22
*9,371 *3 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27
*8,095 *2 Vividred Operation [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27
*7,562 *3 Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru [DVD+BD]: 2013/02/27 [Vol. 2 drops to ~2-3k]
*7,238 *2 Hetalia The Beautiful World [DVD]: 2013/04/24
*6,645 *2 Puchimas! -Petit iDOLM@STER- [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27 [●]
*5,031 *2 Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27
*4,676 *2 Tamako Market [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/20
*4,281 *1 Courtesy of Zettai Karen Children -The Unlimited- Hyoubu Kyousuke [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/20
*3,726 *2 Minami-ke Tadaima [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27 [●]
*3,707 *1 Yama no Susume [BD-BOX]: 2013/05/24
*3,261 *1 Chihayafuru2 [DVD-BOX+BD-BOX]: 2013/05/22
*2,981 *2 AKB0048 Next Stage [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27 [●]
*2,905 *2 Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/22
*2,773 *2 GJ-bu [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/06 [●]
*2,710 *1 Maoyuu Maou Yuusha [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/20 [●]
*2,499 *1 Senran Kagura [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27 [●]
*2,321 *1 Cuticle Tantei Inaba [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27
*2,018 *1 D.C.III ~Da Capo III~ [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/20 [●]
*1,910 *1 gdgdFairies (season 2) [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/28 [●]
*1,708 *1 Sasami-san@Ganbaranai [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/27 [●]
*1,838 *2 Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? [DVD+BD]: 2013/03/29 [●]
*1,824 *1 Senyuu. [DVD+BD]: 2013/04/24
*1,549 *1 Kotoura-san [DVD+BD]: 2013/04/03 [●]
**,954 *1 Wooser no Sono Higurashi [BD]: 2013/03/22
**,880 *1 Boku no Imouto wa Oosaka Okan [BD]: 2013/04/19
**,715 *1 Ai Mai Mii [DVD]: 2013/03/22
**,339 *1 Mangirl! [BD]: 2013/05/24
The number between the sales and the show title is how many weeks of sales data we have for that volume.
Anything with a dot next to it was sold on both BD and DVD but we only know the numbers for one of the formats (typically BD), so it might have actually sold a bit more.
Also note that a couple shows (most notably Oreshura as mentioned) had larger-than-normal dropoffs for subsequent volumes due to vol.1 being at a lower price, or packaged with a ticket for a live event, or other factors.

Kokoro Connect 09

9nVBxLx.png

I audibly said "YES" to this line.

Not enough Inaba in this episode, thankfully she's got the dialogue with Heartseed at the end. Apparently he's known about their stories since way before, because he knew of how Inaba was in middle school.

I kept getting worried that Heartseed was going to switch with Mr. Goto when they were in the shed, but oh whatever.

Jex

I don't quite know why people want Free! to feature nothing but swimming in it's trailers. It's clearly going to be present in the show at some point, but you wouldn't want it to be only about that. Then you'd end up in a Chihayafuru situation where the show is about nothing but karuta. I'm glad that KyoAni don't focus on the main subject to the exclusion of the characters in the show.

Real answer: water animation is hard work.

I don't quite know why people want Free! to feature nothing but swimming in it's trailers. It's clearly going to be present in the show at some point, but you wouldn't want it to be only about that. Then you'd end up in a Chihayafuru situation where the show is about nothing but karuta. I'm glad that KyoAni don't focus on the main subject to the exclusion of the characters in the show.

Real answer: water animation is hard work.

I think the concern that there won't be much swimming in the show is understandable. A Chihayafuru type situation isn't really possible due to the animation difficulties you mention.

wonzo

Banned
Yeah but unlike Karuta, swimming is cool and fun and full of UPPER BODY.

karuta's just a game for ocd japanese romance poem otakus with too much time on their hands

Shergal

It makes sense that the character PVs would be like that. They aren't supposed to be grand anyway.

I just hope the actual swimming and water sakuga are good, when they happen.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah but unlike Karuta, swimming is cool and fun and full of UPPER BODY.

karuta's just a game for ocd japanese romance poem otakus with too much time on their hands

karuta could be full of UPPER BODY if they wanted it to be. just sayin'

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also, now that we know the Mangirl numbers, the full Winter 2013 First Volumes lifetime-to-date sales ranking is complete:

The number between the sales and the show title is how many weeks of sales data we have for that volume.
Anything with a dot next to it was sold on both BD and DVD but we only know the numbers for one of the formats (typically BD), so it might have actually sold a bit more.
Also note that a couple shows (most notably Oreshura as mentioned) had larger-than-normal dropoffs for subsequent volumes due to vol.1 being at a lower price, or packaged with a ticket for a live event, or other factors.

All those bombalicious numbers. I'm kind of surprised Mangirl flopped since it's basically Bakuman with moe girls and in 5 minute segments.

But hey, Natsu no Arashi remains #1 as Shaft's least successful show. Yay? lol.

I'll just pick up Chihayafuru s2 when
Taichi wins.
So never, then.

CorvoSol

Code BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA R2 23

Going into this, I just want to say that the way R2 ACTUALLY ended was Suzaku killing Lelouch at the Kurugi Shrine, then keeping his promise to shield Nunally from The Emperor. Since the Emperor's scheme pertains only to the fever dream of insanity that these last 5 episodes have been, I'm assuming that after doing this and exposing Geass and clearing Euphemia's name, Suzaku destroyed all things related to Geass to avert future hazards. He became the Knight of One and freed Japan and over a long period of years the UFN caused the Empire's power to dwindle. THE END.

Then, the next year after, Sunrise released a movie sequel and it's just an hour and a half of Nina being savagely beaten to death.

We now return to your regularly programmed lapse of sanity.

Nunally throwing that crane and making the rainbow in the OP never ceases to be corny to me. As a teenager, I would have loved the HELL out of this show and rooted for Lelouch to the BITTER end.

You know Suzaku, you're gonna have to run it by me again, what Prince Sneasel has done, because I can't think of a damn thing. Aside from implying for the sake of yaoi fangirls and :DTL that he and Canon were gay, I haven't learned a SINGLE thing about Sneasel this entire time. It's funny that while Odysseus was probably meant to be the milque toast character, Sneasel's the one who wound up that way. He's like an empty jack in the box. I keep cranking expecting something, and when the box opens . . . ta da, nothing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some
Nunally tearing Lelouch a new one
to bask in. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of Lelouch pretending to be some comic book villain to hide the truth that isn't actually the truth. No better way to get people to believe you're a scumbag than to tell them you are one, I guess.

OH HERE WE GO FUCKING NINA GETTING TO FEEL SO GUILTY. MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE. YOU KNOW. DEVELOPED A WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION. FOR PRINCE SNEASEL. WHICH HE HAS NOW USED. What in the name of the God of Mecha, WHAT did you think you were building when you made a goddamn GIANT NUCLEAR BOMB?

Princess Cornelia is the Best Girl in the show. Possibly the best character. She also had one of the best mecha, because it had a frickin' cape.

If this speech passes for character development for Prince Sneasel, consider me underwhelmed.

OH GOD DAMN YOU GOD OF MECHA WHY DO YOU ALWAYS DO THIS TO ME!??!!? I MEAN SERIOUSLY, FIRST YOU TAKE
Ray and Charles
FROM ME, THEN
Kamina, and my bro, Kamille Bidan,
AND LET'S NOT FORGET
Princess Euphemia
NOW YOU DO THIS?

WHY YOU DO THIS? WHY WOULD YOU
kill Cornelia?
WHY?

Is Sayoko's Maid thing stuck to her head? If not, why is she still wearing it in a hospital bed?

HEY. HEY WRITERS. HEY. You know who DOESN'T understand why Lelouch is doing this? ME. THE AUDIENCE. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Why is Suzaku working with Lelouch now? WHY WOULD YOU MAKE SUCH AN ENORMOUS CHANGE AND THEN NOT EXPLAIN IT FOR OVER AN EPISODE? Please stop making cryptic allusions to the Zero Requiem! I didn't skip an episode, so you can't pretend like I did!

Gee, Lelouch, tell me again, why did all those people die? It couldn't be the numerous times you ordered people against their will to kill themselves en masse, could it? Or the multitude of people you murdered through subterfuge? Or the time you
forced your sister to murder innocent people before you murdered her yourself, you slimy, craven scumbag piece of dirt.

Like, am I supposed to feel sorry for Lelouch? Am I meant to sympathize with him or his cause at all? How can I? I don't even know what that cause IS anymore, and every shitty, evil, petty thing he's done so far stands between me and giving him the benefit of the doubt. This barely even seems like the same PLOT anymore.

Hey you know what I like? Nina is working for the shitbag who
murdered her beloved Euphemia
and also has betrayed Sneasel, but nobody goes "Oh she makes her way to the top by betraying everyone constantly" like they did with Suzaku, even though you know, it's the same thing. Fuck you, Canon. If Sneasel is a side character trying to be a main character you're an extra from another show entirely.

NO. WAIT. You can't just musically montage over the fact that
Valetta is pregnant with Ogie's baby.
!! GET BACK HERE WITH THAT.

"I'll make both of you into records on my harddrive." Bwahahahahahaha. That's . . . a line. In this show.

How does Prince Sneasel know Lelouch better than anybody else? Lelouch vanished when he was like, eight. And now suddenly Sneasel is an expert on him? The only one on your side who'd know would be Nunally, bro.

You know, it SOUNDS all exciting as they rearrange for all these different battle formations at once, but basically this would look really dumb to anybody watching it, and be annoying as hell to the soldiers participating. Lelouch's soldiers I can buy, because they're forced into Geass obedience, so they MUST do as he says. But Sneasel's would get fed up or someone (Tamaki) would crack and initiate combat.

Lelouch's plan is to send all his guys to die until his brother's nigh infinite supply of nuclear warheads runs out. Tell me again why anyone thinks Lelouch is smart at all? This is the stupidest plan of the ever.

Nevermind. Lelouch's plan requires he rely on Nina. He's fucked. Even if he succeeds, he'll have to listen to her whine about how successful she was, and well, then he'll wish he'd lost.

Kokoro Connect 10

PH9EVTe.png

Approximately what my face looked like during this episode

Fuck yes. Inaba girl of FOREVER

She's pretty much a clone of me, right down to telling a friend to go after the one I had a crush on and sucking at cutting cucumbers.

Heartseed once again shows he's actually a pretty decent dude. He really is making them all much better people through their hardships.

This is my favorite episode.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Code BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA R2 23

Going into this, I just want to say that the way R2 ACTUALLY ended was Suzaku killing Lelouch at the Kurugi Shrine, then keeping his promise to shield Nunally from The Emperor. Since the Emperor's scheme pertains only to the fever dream of insanity that these last 5 episodes have been, I'm assuming that after doing this and exposing Geass and clearing Euphemia's name, Suzaku destroyed all things related to Geass to avert future hazards. He became the Knight of One and freed Japan and over a long period of years the UFN caused the Empire's power to dwindle. THE END.

Then, the next year after, Sunrise released a movie sequel and it's just an hour and a half of Nina being savagely beaten to death.

We now return to your regularly programmed lapse of sanity.

Nunally throwing that crane and making the rainbow in the OP never ceases to be corny to me. As a teenager, I would have loved the HELL out of this show and rooted for Lelouch to the BITTER end.

You know Suzaku, you're gonna have to run it by me again, what Prince Sneasel has done, because I can't think of a damn thing. Aside from implying for the sake of yaoi fangirls and :DTL that he and Canon were gay, I haven't learned a SINGLE thing about Sneasel this entire time. It's funny that while Odysseus was probably meant to be the milque toast character, Sneasel's the one who wound up that way. He's like an empty jack in the box. I keep cranking expecting something, and when the box opens . . . ta da, nothing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some
Nunally tearing Lelouch a new one
to bask in. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of Lelouch pretending to be some comic book villain to hide the truth that isn't actually the truth. No better way to get people to believe you're a scumbag than to tell them you are one, I guess.

OH HERE WE GO FUCKING NINA GETTING TO FEEL SO GUILTY. MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE. YOU KNOW. DEVELOPED A WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION. FOR PRINCE SNEASEL. WHICH HE HAS NOW USED. What in the name of the God of Mecha, WHAT did you think you were building when you made a goddamn GIANT NUCLEAR BOMB?

Princess Cornelia is the Best Girl in the show. Possibly the best character. She also had one of the best mecha, because it had a frickin' cape.

If this speech passes for character development for Prince Sneasel, consider me underwhelmed.

OH GOD DAMN YOU GOD OF MECHA WHY DO YOU ALWAYS DO THIS TO ME!??!!? I MEAN SERIOUSLY, FIRST YOU TAKE
Ray and Charles
FROM ME, THEN
Kamina, and my bro, Kamille Bidan,
AND LET'S NOT FORGET
Princess Euphemia
NOW YOU DO THIS?

WHY YOU DO THIS? WHY WOULD YOU
kill Cornelia?
WHY?

Is Sayoko's Maid thing stuck to her head? If not, why is she still wearing it in a hospital bed?

HEY. HEY WRITERS. HEY. You know who DOESN'T understand why Lelouch is doing this? ME. THE AUDIENCE. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Why is Suzaku working with Lelouch now? WHY WOULD YOU MAKE SUCH AN ENORMOUS CHANGE AND THEN NOT EXPLAIN IT FOR OVER AN EPISODE? Please stop making cryptic allusions to the Zero Requiem! I didn't skip an episode, so you can't pretend like I did!

Gee, Lelouch, tell me again, why did all those people die? It couldn't be the numerous times you ordered people against their will to kill themselves en masse, could it? Or the multitude of people you murdered through subterfuge? Or the time you
forced your sister to murder innocent people before you murdered her yourself, you slimy, craven scumbag piece of dirt.

Like, am I supposed to feel sorry for Lelouch? Am I meant to sympathize with him or his cause at all? How can I? I don't even know what that cause IS anymore, and every shitty, evil, petty thing he's done so far stands between me and giving him the benefit of the doubt. This barely even seems like the same PLOT anymore.

Hey you know what I like? Nina is working for the shitbag who
murdered her beloved Euphemia
and also has betrayed Sneasel, but nobody goes "Oh she makes her way to the top by betraying everyone constantly" like they did with Suzaku, even though you know, it's the same thing. Fuck you, Canon. If Sneasel is a side character trying to be a main character you're an extra from another show entirely.

NO. WAIT. You can't just musically montage over the fact that
Valetta is pregnant with Ogie's baby.
!! GET BACK HERE WITH THAT.

"I'll make both of you into records on my harddrive." Bwahahahahahaha. That's . . . a line. In this show.

How does Prince Sneasel know Lelouch better than anybody else? Lelouch vanished when he was like, eight. And now suddenly Sneasel is an expert on him? The only one on your side who'd know would be Nunally, bro.

You know, it SOUNDS all exciting as they rearrange for all these different battle formations at once, but basically this would look really dumb to anybody watching it, and be annoying as hell to the soldiers participating. Lelouch's soldiers I can buy, because they're forced into Geass obedience, so they MUST do as he says. But Sneasel's would get fed up or someone (Tamaki) would crack and initiate combat.

Lelouch's plan is to send all his guys to die until his brother's nigh infinite supply of nuclear warheads runs out. Tell me again why anyone thinks Lelouch is smart at all? This is the stupidest plan of the ever.

Nevermind. Lelouch's plan requires he rely on Nina. He's fucked. Even if he succeeds, he'll have to listen to her whine about how successful she was, and well, then he'll wish he'd lost.

This episode is huge cock tease with everything. You have no idea what is coming for you.

Westlo

Kokoro Connect 09

Fuck yes. Inaba girl of FOREVER

She's pretty much a clone of me, right down to telling a friend to go after the one I had a crush on and sucking at cutting cucumbers.

Heartseed once again shows he's actually a pretty decent dude. He really is making them all much better people through their hardships.

This is my favorite episode.

Inaba bros!

Best girl of 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom