• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suisei no Gargantia 1

iiuYkvXzqqwQr.jpg
There was a LOT of technobabble, so a good amount of that battle sort of flew over my head. I absolutely enjoyed it and the second half of the show though, and am interested in the further development of this world and the main character's. So far, it's my favorite premiere of the season.

Moonlight

Banned
Gargantia on the Verduous Planet Episode 1

Honestly, I was apprehensive about Gargantia going into it. I've started to get used to getting burned by Production IG shows, and while I liked what I saw coming out of the PVs, the same could have been said for Psycho-Pass.

But you know, this wasn't bad. I'm not sure it was great, but it kept my interest - the second half, especially. If nothing else, I can sense promise.

If I wanted to be honest, I wasn't too enamored with the first eleven minutes. Beam massacres and light shows aside, it just wasn't that thrilling of an action sequence. It's compounded by the sheer lack of weight to everything that transpires during the sequence, as well. I don't mean dramatically (although I have a few problems with that), it's just that there's no sense of impact or feedback in how they move, how they shoot - if the strong score wasn't picking up the slack, I'd go so far as to call it rather sterile. I'd call the floatiness I experienced endemic to the nature of CG techniques, but I wouldn't even say that the blame rests entirely there. I think I'd find it all much more palpable with better sound design. While you have the eternal excuse that space is a vacuum, and thus, soundless, I think it's pretty clear that's not what they were going for. I think Attack on Titan may have spoiled me a bit in this regard, but I think I wouldn't have felt so detached from everything that was going on in the space battle if the mechs sounded like they were locked in battle, sounded like they were maneuvering. I decided to rewatch the battle again and that sheer lack of weight to any of the actions the mecha are taking really takes me out of it. It looks like a battlefield, but very much doesn't sound like one. Ultimately, it doesn't give you enough reasons to get invested in what's going on.

I also wasn't that impressed by the tone it was trying to set. I think the impression that I think they wanted to impress upon the viewer wasn't broadcast very well. Dialogue and events transpire to indicate that the
battle is lost despite humanity is throwing everything it has at these plant-like lifeforms
. The events clearly indicate a mood of hopeless desperation to the conflict, but there's not that much they actually show you to better sense that. They "
take out the main fleet
", but the establishing shots don't impress upon you the scale of it at all. It's impossible to tell what the 'main fleet' even is. You understand it's important because of the name, but only in the abstract sense. Furthermore, I think the sequence would have benefited from showing what was going on with more of the human element, as in, the other pilots. Red is apparently fearless, but the same cannot be said for what's surely hundreds, if not thousands of other pilots that are apparently fighting the battle with him. Not that I'd expect or even want the perspective to bounce around pilots we aren't expected to care about, but I think this is another area where the ambient sound design could have benefited the significance and tone they wanted to set a great deal. As it stands, it doesn't do an outstanding job of it.

If there were no real dialogue to this sequence, I think the most I'd be able to get out of it in its' place in the story would be that humanity has just fought against some aliens and
lost a battle
. This doesn't feel like it decided a war.

I guess it's hard to understand why I would say that I actually liked this episode given all that, but I honestly don't expect that a space battle I've spent way too long complaining about was anything more than a means to an end. That end being Earth. And the second half really did catch my interest where it was flagging. The characters all seem pretty lively, and I actually really like a lot of aspects of the production. I love the color design, especially. Everything is vibrant and sharp, and the way the characters animate all help give the show a nice, very light overtone in the second half. As well, I think I should really give credit where credit is due with regards to the music, though. During the battle, especially, it added punch to moments that otherwise might have felt even more flatfooted than they were.

I think, if nothing else, the premise and the execution thereof makes me hopeful, if not confident that this show is going to be fun.

Still, this show certainly has me. I just hope it'll keep me.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
DokiDoki! Precure - 07

o4snMq4.png
v7VAssk.png

:sdburton as fuck

Okay Cure Sword, after learning about
your past and you being separated from the love of your life
I can understand why you were so standoffish and serious at the start of the series.

CorvoSol

Broken Blade 1

I actually liked it. Character design is sort of subdued, which is refreshing after the absurdly over the top designs of 00, but on the other hand, in some places the faces weren't as consistent as 00. In any case, I quite liked the idea of the hero being a flat-out nobody, and that his ancient mecha was also regarded as poorly made and useless by everyone around. The hero talking to the mech about not taking the trash-talk to heart because that's what everyone did to him and his brother was kinda awesome, too.

Kinda expect King Hodr (not Hodor) to die. It appears he's in a loveless marriage with the girl, and she's got some serious chem with the hero going on, although I like the idea of the hero starting out already not having gotten the girl.

In any case, I think this is a promising start, but I kinda wish they'd broken these 1 hour episodes into 2 half hour episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
DokiDoki! Precure - 07

Okay Cure Sword, after learning about
your past and you being separated from the love of your life
I can understand why you were so standoffish and serious at the start of the series.

Oh, if you like fake yuri, I guess you'll like this latest episode too. :p

Mature

Detective Conan 181:
That was a decent conclusion. It was surprisingly enjoyable for an anime original story, even if parts of it felt like it was only imitation Conan. It was nice to see Kogorou actually being fairly competent and even figuring out a lot of what had gone on, and Megure had some really funny moments. I thought it let a bit of the air out of the episode that they essentially revealed who the killer was so early on, though.
Anime originals in Detective Conan at their best have a great story, murder and deduction show and at there worst are just sort of plodding, but can be endearing or sometimes funny and cute. Rarely do I watch one and feel like that since everything is inconsequential and "filler" that im wasting my time and I think that's pretty commendable.

Majestic Prince 1:
I think I would have enjoyed this more if not for the terrible faces. Also, not since Gundam SEED Destiny has space been so full of colored explosions.

All in all, it was okay. I enjoyed the music, and I thought the mecha at least looked okay. There were some funny moments, although a lot of the attempts at comedy fell flat. The final three minutes or so of the episode were the first time where I felt really engaged in what was going on. I'll probably at least check out the next episode and see if this show goes anywhere good.

Anime originals in Detective Conan at their best have a great story, murder and deduction show and at there worst are just sort of plodding, but can be endearing or sometimes funny and cute. Rarely do I watch one and feel like that since everything is inconsequential and "filler" that im wasting my time and I think that's pretty commendable.

Yeah, I think this is true. It's only been a few times where I've watched something and felt like it was a massive waste of time and my intelligence has been insulted. (The only ones that really come to mind are the school flag episode, the birds flying away with the evidence, and the disappearing Detective Boys) At their best, they can provide a pretty good imitation of a 'real' Detective Conan case, and are highly enjoyable. The only major downside is that you know that nothing really interesting is going to happen with the characters (even when they try, like that two parter where the girl Kogorou tutored was the killer).

JCG

Broken Blade 1

I actually liked it. Character design is sort of subdued, which is refreshing after the absurdly over the top designs of 00, but on the other hand, in some places the faces weren't as consistent as 00. In any case, I quite liked the idea of the hero being a flat-out nobody, and that his ancient mecha was also regarded as poorly made and useless by everyone around. The hero talking to the mech about not taking the trash-talk to heart because that's what everyone did to him and his brother was kinda awesome, too.

Kinda expect King Hodr (not Hodor) to die. It appears he's in a loveless marriage with the girl, and she's got some serious chem with the hero going on, although I like the idea of the hero starting out already not having gotten the girl.

In any case, I think this is a promising start, but I kinda wish they'd broken these 1 hour episodes into 2 half hour episodes.

That's what comes with being a series of movies, I guess. Breaking it up into TV episodes would have knocked down the budget -especially for the mecha more than anything else- by a significant amount. Other than that...I remember liking this, with a few ups and downs, but my advice would be that you shouldn't expect to get a lot of resolution.

cajunator

Banned
As much as I enjoy Honoka and Nagisa as characters and generally like Max Heart, the other Precure series look so much more fun.
Maybe I will have to just beast my way through it in a couple days so I can move on to more interesting shows.

21178535513B24DF1D42C5

Cuticle Detective Inaba Episode 10

\o/ Lorenzo's face!!!! He looks so handsome!

First half with everyone visiting the goat farm was kinda flat except for the parts with Ogi. Second half definitely made up if only because of Lorenzo actually appearing with Don for a long period of time. Favorite part was definitely when the Don passed out when Soumei appeared out of the stone and a stream of bubbles came out of his mouth.

wonzo

Banned
Aku no Hana 1

It seems that I wasn't wrong in hyping both this show and Shingeki. The animation looks amazing, although a bit weird at first, and the bizarre style is really useful by making it impossible for the show's essence to be misinterpreted - which is something that those reading the first chapters of the source material end up doing regularly.

Good stuff.
Another one joins the fold, be sure to crosspost your impressions in the OT!
Bahi has spoken: https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/321064701540855808

"When you animate, you give life to the drawings. When you rotoscope, you render like a machine. Wich one do you prefer?"

Aku no Hana RIP!
bahi am cry @ the genius of aku no hana

Shergal

The end product of rotoscoping can look pretty good though. Aku no Hana looks bad because the rotoscoping was handled poorly.

Detective Conan 182:
Hey, whoever wrote this episode actually remembered that Haibara existed! That actually made it worthwhile. The scene at the end of the episode with her was pretty hilarious, and the Conan/Haibara scenes earlier on were pretty fun, too. They actually managed to get their interactions just right, which really helped since about half of this episode consisted of the Detective Boys running around and looking at nameplates. There were some funny scenes with Genta, too. Overall, it was a pretty fun episode even if it was about as lightweight as Conan gets.

yami4ct

Wait, so Valvrave is this Friday? Didn't know our mecha trio would be completed this early. What the heck, I'll go ahead and do the OT for that as well. It's a Sunrise mecha show, so I'm going to end up watching regardless of quality. Also, I have nothing better to do Thursday night/Friday.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bahi has spoken: https://twitter.com/bahijd/status/321064701540855808

"When you animate, you give life to the drawings. When you rotoscope, you render like a machine. Wich one do you prefer?"

Aku no Hana RIP!
oh lord
It's pretty fake. lol
The entire show has been about Mana building up a harem. Rikka's actions in episode ten are too dramatic to be only about friendship issues!
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 02

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM" KICK!

"HOW DARE YOU TOUCH MY CUTE GANMEN......" PUNCH

Glad you picked this up. It's my favourite anime EVER.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wait, so Valvrave is this Friday? Didn't know our mecha trio would be completed this early. What the heck, I'll go ahead and do the OT for that as well. It's a Sunrise mecha show, so I'm going to end up watching regardless of quality. Also, I have nothing better to do Thursday night/Friday.

I don't get why we don't have a join Mecha Spring OT where we discuss Valvrave, MJP, Gargantia, and GSDHD lol.

inaba+11.jpg

Cuticle Detective Inaba 11

Don's interaction with Akiyoshi throughout the episode was so sweet. It was really heartbreaking when their relationship all fell apart when he turned into a wolf. You could practically see the devastation on the Don's face as he was crying. I do wonder why he let himself be caught in the first place, since no one has even seriously bothered to capture him in the last 10 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom