• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Oh God, I can feel it coming. All night long...

"Change! Change! Haato Catchi! Chance! Chance! Haato Catchi! Dance! Dance! Haato Catchi! Haato Catchi Pretty Cura!"

Oh well. Last night I went to bed with Bioshock Infinite ending on the mind. This'll be easier.

I thought it was a good end and nice teases of characters from the manga, if only it was somehow possible for it to get a second season, since I highly doubt the manga will ever be in english.

Was there someone else that was teased beside the skull-headed guy?

I won't get my hopes up for a sequel. But I just might end up searching for raws of the manga if its as good as the anime.

I hope we get a S2 ...since it's obvious they didn't even tackle half of the things they should.
They should have ended it in a serious arc instead of pure comedy

Definitely.

I was fully expecting some sort of NORA involvement in the finale, but instead was treated to half of an episode to some character that just appeared.

Oh well.

Moonlight

Banned
Aku no Hana Episode 1

wbHoCPg.png
PIvAhwb.jpg

g58OH6j.jpg
tlihAPN.png

bSj69V0.png
AGfE0mn.jpg

fwVdrn1.jpg
H2itIy1.jpg
RQ0Qeaq.png

Articalys

Blind post before I go catch up and read the 10 pages I've missed due to being out all day.

Gargantia ep1

Absolutely phenomenal first episode. I believe in Urobuchi and Murata.

Instro

Gargantia 1

The less cg the better, but I really like whats going on in this show. Strong first episode, I'll be sticking with this.

Ezalc

Aku no Hana 1
This has been getting a lot of shit for its' art style lately, and while I can kind of see why people may not like it I thought it was alright, just takes some getting used to. On that note, I haven't read the manga for it, so I kept thinking that this was going to be some deep anime or something. I don't know if that's the direction the manga goes, but from what I read of the premise it seems like a standard wacky shit happens kind of deal. We'll see where it goes I guess.

NeonZ

Haiyore! Nyaruko-San! W ep1
Yup, it's Nyaruko and her crazy shit again. Time to see how many references is being shove in this time.

http://nyaruref.blogspot.sg/2013/04/haiyore-nyaruko-san-w-episode-1.html

Kind of funny how they still missed some obvious Kamen Rider references there. Makes me wonder why the author is so fond of referencing Kamen Rider though. It's not even just the anime, even the novel covers are blatant Rider references. Are Rider fans really that likely to be part of the same otaku audience that Nyaruko targets? Kind of weird that Toei itself doesn't make more products specifically targeting older fans, if so...

ZoddGutts

Little Witch Academia - I said a few words about this, and don't want to write a long review -- this is a pretty basic OVA, and unless it became a series or something there's not all that much to say -- but yeah, it was enjoyable. The story is about a girl who sees a magic show (with real magic), and then wants to be like the woman magician (witch) who had done the show. Her magical abilities are suspect, but when she gets older she goes off to witch school anyway. So, the characters are teenage girl witches at witch school. Yeah, the MC is your generic somewhat hopeless-seeming but actually skilled when it matters protagonist. The other girls at this school are all stereotypes as well; there's the "rival" girl who's sort of a tsundere princess style character, a teacher (
who has a secret of her own
), and several other characters, including two friends for the main character, and two hangers-on (maybe "friends") for the rival girl. It's a fairly traditional story, as the girls accidentally mess up and then have to save the day, but it's well enough told, and yes, the animation was pretty good.

Oh yeah, no pantyshots (or fanservice stuff) here, their legs just vanish into the skirt. Sure, why not. Keeps it classier, I guess. I think can see why people mention the animation in this, though, it is good, and there are some fun parts too like
the long fight against the dragon that took up the last part of the OVA
. Overall, it was fun. I'd watch more if it existed. But yes, the story and characters were very, very generic, and have nothing original about them at all, and that is a negative.

Same opinion here. Great animation and visuals but the story and the characters were a bit too generic. Still worth watching though.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - Ep 1

Enjoyable first ep. Had more fun watching this than MJP. Will watch more of Gargantia.

Digimon Adventure Season 2 Episodes 8 - 21
tumblr_mjyiu5SB0j1r2viyio1_250.png

Why cant Magnamon be one of the permanent digimon in their arsenal. Whole Golden Armor Digivolution and his presence was as epic and awesome as Angemon's first appearance in season 1. Magnamon is truly one of the best digimon there is and truly deserves more. Excellent addition to Davis's collection. Truly he is on TK's tier of best character and best digimon. For Ken
so sad that he lost after all he went through and even losing Wormon. Why?! Even with a crest too :( Hopefully he learns kindness and embraces it more or gets back involved in the plot, will miss him if he's gone as he and TK had great moments too, like their little fistfight.

The digirap is awful and needs to never be used, why was it even an ending theme substitution at times :(

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
You really are turning into SDBurton. :(

More like you're losing your touch for sensing yuri!

=============================================

Doki Doki! Precure - 09

89AaX5a.png

Dawwwwwww.

"The baby has gone missing!" episode. A lot more enjoyable than the one from Futari wa which damn near made me quit the season. I gotta say I'm starting to become pretty fond of the mascots as well. Their antics are enjoyable to watch and they don't have the annoying personality that seems to plague most mascots from the series.

Instro

Aku no Hana 1

Yeah I'm not sure I can watch this. The design choices are interesting, but ultimately a lot of it just feels distracting from the story that is being told. The show does succeed in creating a very peculiar atmosphere, both strange and unsettling, with its sound design, visuals, VO, etc. In the end though it felt like I was watching a novelty, not something I could handle over a season, and honestly the pacing dragged badly and the episode was mostly boring.

Quasar

Haiyore! Nyaruko-San! W ep1
Yup, it's Nyaruko and her crazy shit again. Time to see how many references is being shove in this time.

So much joy in this show.

Also watched Gargantia. An actual straight scifi show that I actually like. New show of the season for me. At least based on one episode.

I think I might make a PSA OT for Hunter X Hunter on Off Topic. I love this series and I just started back on the remake. There was a Yu Yu Hakusho thread not too long ago, but I'm guessing that 3/4 of the people singing praises for YYH ever never read or watched HxH. Tis a sad thing that HxH got localized so late.

Just finished episode 7 of the remake. Man it must be so easy to pass the Hunter Exam if you already can use Nen. I guess learning that though is the final test.

If you do, mention in the title that the Chimera Ant arc is starting, which is where the original anime left off.

cajunator

Banned
Oh God, I can feel it coming. All night long...

"Change! Change! Haato Catchi! Chance! Chance! Haato Catchi! Dance! Dance! Haato Catchi! Haato Catchi Pretty Cura!"

Oh well. Last night I went to bed with Bioshock Infinite ending on the mind. This'll be easier.

just wait until ED2.
you will be singing to the Precure messiah like a fool.

Blind post before I go catch up and read the 10 pages I've missed due to being out all day.

Gargantia ep1

Absolutely phenomenal first episode. I believe in Urobuchi and Murata.

agreed. I was quite pleasantly entertained from the start. Normally I pause episodes of stuff partway because I have the attention span of a water flea, but Gargantia held on tight.

TTGL 05

Get back to the awesome!

ohohohoho heehee!

Instro

speaking of gargantia.

Everything would have been fine if his fucking AI piece of shit alerted him when the space squid was above his ass.

AI was too busy with docking procedures bro.

Definitely enjoyed that episode now that I think about it, I can always tell that I'm into something when I find myself surprised that the episode is already over.

JCG

Attack on Titan - 1

I haven't read the manga but still....this looks promising, despite (or maybe even precisely for) being the most explicitly and implicitly depressing thing I'm going to watch during the season. Thankfully, the rest of my schedule should have enough lighthearted content to compensate for it.

While I evidently can't judge the adaptation it seems Araki is doing a good job handling the direction here, especially during the scenes involving the titans (or the giants or...whatever you want to call them). Admittedly he could afford to just take things a little bit more calmly during the regular conversations though. Those were somewhat overplayed but, overall, the episode came out fine.

Kind of funny how they still missed some obvious Kamen Rider references there. Makes me wonder why the author is so fond of referencing Kamen Rider though. It's not even just the anime, even the novel covers are blatant Rider references. Are Rider fans really that likely to be part of the same otaku audience that Nyaruko targets? Kind of weird that Toei itself doesn't make more products specifically targeting older fans, if so...

Author just love kamen rider so much

Dynedom

Woo Mechanime post:

Majestic Price - 01

Passable enough to survive the rule of 3. Next 2 episodes need to deliver. The character designs are quite goofy, with Tamaki perhaps being too :cajun for this show. Then again, there is no real indication to the tone of this show. If its a lot less serious than say Fafner or the SEED series and is going to fill a sort of Vandread void that has been there in mechanime for the past few years, then I might enjoy it.

Worried that the first episode was all high production and we're going to see a huge dip. The CGI didn't bother me too much except for some of the shots on...Earth was it?

Honestly, with all the shots on their eyes, was half expecting Izuru to go into SEED mode :lol

----

Gundam Unicorn - 6 - Two Worlds, Two Tomorrows

I thought this was one of the better episodes. The last parts of the episode really gave me chills because it had that classic Gundam build up to the final battle (I mean, even if past Gundam shows were shit, most of them at least are able to hype you up for the Main Event).

It was good seeing
Zimmerman find some sort of closure. It's refreshing to see stuff like this, especially considering Loni never got hers and ended up dying from it. If the point of Unicorn is to finally end the Zeon/EF conflict through some sort of "letting go of revenge' deal and working together, his actions with Marida are a first step.

All sorts of death flags being raised here although it being Gundam, you never know (if this has a Tomino finish, the only thing to survive might be the Haro)

I'm also guessing Full Frontal's
removal of his mask may be lost on some people who have never watch prior series. I cannot remember if this is the first time you see his face or not. I love the mystery around whether or not he is actually Char. I'm guessing he is not, considering that would be an unnecessary blow to the UC timeline and canon.

I'll go into more later because despite this not being much of an action episode, I found it a lot more interesting than most episodes that were filled with more action. The plot and character developments and revelations were good.

----

Time to check out Gargantia next!

Mayou 01

Screen%2520shot%25202013-01-04%2520at%252010.18.49%2520AM.png

This has so much potential, but the fanservice threatens to kill it. It's like the Spice and Wolf directors were ordered to make it appeal to more mainstream anime ethusiasts, which I'm guessing is more or less what happened

yami4ct

Woo Mechanime post:

Majestic Price - 01

Passable enough to survive the rule of 3. Next 2 episodes need to deliver. The character designs are quite goofy, with Tamaki perhaps being too :cajun for this show. Then again, there is no real indication to the tone of this show. If its a lot less serious than say Fafner or the SEED series and is going to fill a sort of Vandread void that has been there in mechanime for the past few years, then I might enjoy it.

Worried that the first episode was all high production and we're going to see a huge dip. The CGI didn't bother me too much except for some of the shots on...Earth was it?

Honestly, with all the shots on their eyes, was half expecting Izuru to go into SEED mode :lol

----

Time to check out Gargantia next!

Remember my MJP OT exists. More people welcome. Great discussion to be had with this show, I can tell.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536304

Mayou 01

This has so much potential, but the fanservice threatens to kill it. It's like the Spice and Wolf directors were ordered to make it appeal to more mainstream anime ethusiasts, which I'm guessing is more or less what happened

I actually forgot how fanservice-y the first episode was of this show.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 12

So ends the Behemoth Arc, with Sousuke successfully deploying the Lambda Driver again. This episode is really the only time in the entire series I ever stop to question the actual sizes of the various Arm Slaves. According to Wikipedia, the Arm Slaves in the books are 8-10 meters tall, and the ones in the anime are 15-18 meters tall. Which seems consistent with what you see on the screen. After all, Chidori more or less fit in the Arbalest's hand during the Khanka arc. Wikipedia also says that the statue of the Gundam in Japan is approximately 18 meters tall, and that Gundams range 18-20 meters in height. So the Arbalest is roughly as tall as the first Gundam, which makes sense, since people have been shown to fit in the hand of a Gundam more or less the same as they do the hand of the ARX series.

Oh, and Sousuke kills the Behemoth by shooting blue energy bullets in its butt. Which is awesome.

wonzo

Banned
Mayou 01

Just read the superior manga.

Mayou 01

For better or worst. They kinda ran out of boob budget early on.

Mayou 01

Soon the boobs will become less important, and economics plays its course.

Milamber

Mayou 01

Unfortunately, the manga version is currently at the point the anime ended at.

Phi Brain 05

Oh hey, childhood drama. I didn't sign up for this. And isn't it a little too early to pull the I can't do puzzles anymore card?

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 12

So the Haiaku Shiki is the coolest mobile suit in UC Gundam so far. It just is. Freakin' sweet. Also the nuclear explosion was pretty terrifying. I assume the explosion at Jiborou is the basis for Gundam SEED's Alaska/Cyclops incident. It was pretty freaking nuts, though.

Also Kai sounds weird with MAN voice now. Oh, and I guess Hayato is meeting up in this one. Didn't Hayato hook up with Frau Bow at the end of MSG?

Mayou 02

We're getting there. I still think the relationship between the Hero and Demon "King" compares unfavorably to most romances, much less Holo and Lawrence, but it's hitting on the themes of rational calculation being more important than passion and social privilege even more significantly than Spice and Wolf, with more bite. Looking forward to more.

Danj

Saw Majestic Prince ep 1 on Saturday; might have to rewatch it as I watched it on my mobile phone on the bus so it's possible I missed something that would've brought it above average; still, I'll check out the next episode anyway.

Just watched Gargantia ep 1 this morning. Awesome first episode, the first half was so jam packed that when it got to the middle I was like aww crap, it's over already? but no, it was only half of it! The plot concept isn't particularly original (
future person at war with alien species travelling back in time/through a wormhole to a more primitive Earth
has been done before) but this particular implementation is shaping up well. Plus it has a giant robot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom