• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
kCB8jn5.jpg

Damn, I didn't need to see this. I already felt bad about the adaptation, now I'm annoyed.

I don't think that's necessarily true, but it is extremely overused.

Well technobabble pretty much means using a bunch of terms that the audience can't follow along. It's not babble if it's properly explained or justified.

I think I just grew really tired of the world and characters as it went along. There just wasn't a whole lot there to carry the show for a second season, if you ask me.

Plus it didn't help that the whole "Idol Culture" insanity started getting creepy and terrible instead of weird and funny.

Of course, that's just in my opinion. You might end up believing otherwise.
The first season didn't really have anything much creepy, so on that part I'll have to see... I will start S2 soon.

While I disagree with your take on LWA being that unoriginal, I think we can all agree that the visual spectacle created by Trigger is what makes the material "stand out" in this case.
It's got nice, entertaining animation, but the story and characters are so, so bland and generic... overall good, but it'd be a lot better with a better story. I understand that it's just one half hour OVA, so as-is it's not too bad, but if it was a series, or full-length film, I'd expect more.

Tweeny witches is pretty good. check it out.
Studio 4C is another very talented studio.
I'd forgotten about that anime. Might need to try it.

Is (near) flawless execution not enough?
That's just animation though, not plot, characters, etc... as I said, it was fun and entertaining and I liked it, but it had no originality or unique elements (or good storytelling or characters, it's just very generic stuff) and that does matter.

Same opinion here. Great animation and visuals but the story and the characters were a bit too generic. Still worth watching though.
Yeah.

Wait...HALF the episode?
Half of the first episode is more than I should have ever watched of it... (I finished episode 1, unfortunately)

I guess its because of the way people think the issue effects the persons mind. When playing a shooting game people don't suddenly jump to conclusions that your going to kill someone, however if they caught you playing a game that involves incest they would certainly think something is wrong with you.
That is probably true, yeah.

incest is nowhere near the same level as murder...
Also incest is actually legal insome countries and states. I agree its controversial but its not completely illegal like murder or other far more horrible things.
No, I don't think that brother-sister (or parent-child) incest is legal anywhere.

I'm not a fan of it but if its two consenting adults who want to do it, who really gives a shit?
There are historic and biological reasons why we look down upon incest, mainly the fact that kids of incest couples are more likely to develop genetic deformities and that incest between different generations often results from the abuse of power of those in higher positions of authority.
Right. There is also that the romantic-love-between-siblings feelings so common in anime simply don't exist in something like 99.9% of actual human beings with siblings. I know that anime is not realistic, but really, that's a pretty extreme case of "this really virtually never happens, and anyone with a sibling knows why".

Nyaruko W
Some of the fourth wall breaking stuff was okay. And I don't really mind the references when they're actually relevant and hit something that isn't super obscure like Bewitched. Really though this is pretty much unwatchable when all the main character does is whines and inflicts physical abuse on women.
Um... what? Since when is Bewitched obscure?

Cuticle Detective Inaba Episode 5

Yuta x Noah OTP. Those two are perfect for each other.

Hot spring half was nice. Haruka proving himself to be a pro at doing nothing is quite worrisome, since I was hoping he wouldn't be the villain that gets sick very often. At least there was some background on his assistant, kinda felt since they were introduced that they were just flat characters. Lorenzo wearing a bath towel over his head was definitely disappointing, hopefully there's a glimpse of his real face later on. Ping pong match was great with Kei unlocking his true power by retorts. Found it rather nice of him to want to lose the match just so Inaba could be with his brother for the night.
Wait, anime with mixed bathing in an onsen where no one cares much, apparently? That's interesting, I might have to try this... *watches some* Yeah, seems fun. I'll have to watch more.

Dresden

Technobabble by definition is bad.

Nah, if the obfuscation is intended or if it serves a purpose, it's cool.

The problem with Gargantia's technobabble is that it's all just fluff meant to provide legitimacy for the beamspam/ctrl-v formations.

Branduil

Technobabble is just the sci-fi equivalent of magical incantations in fantasy. The problem is when it becomes a focus instead of something that adds a layer of verisimilitude to otherwise unbelievable technology.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Technobabble is just the sci-fi equivalent of magical incantations in fantasy. The problem is when it becomes a focus instead of something that adds a layer of verisimilitude to otherwise unbelievable technology.
Naw, the fantasy version of technobabble is the 20 minute flashback that explains the "Dawn of Man" and some ancient battle that took place thousands of years ago but has very little bearing on the current story other than to evoke the sense of history through a fake mythology.

Branduil

Naw, the fantasy version of technobabble is the 20 minute flashback that explains the "Dawn of Man" and some ancient battle that took place thousands of years ago but has very little bearing on the current story other than to evoke the sense of history through a fake mythology.

That's the fantasy equivalent of the bad kind of technobabble.

Gargantia 1

This is NOT the kind of show you want to watch when tired. The first half was filled with way too much going on on-screen at all times and a shitton of technobabble. I did like the laser show, but it was damn tiring just trying to keep up with everything, which is only made worse when you have to read subtitles.

Second half was cool, though. I like the setup here. Don't really know enough about the characters to have an opinion of them, but I'll at least watch the next few episodes to see where it goes.

Jarmel

Banned
Nah, if the obfuscation is intended or if it serves a purpose, it's cool.

The problem with Gargantia's technobabble is that it's all just fluff meant to provide legitimacy for the beamspam/ctrl-v formations.

If they're parodying it, that's something else entirely. Even if it's intended though, that's not a good thing.

Jarmel

Banned
Nah, it doesn't have to be restricted to the realm of parody. Ian Sales recently proved this.

You're gonna have to give a more specific example as I'm not going through his entire works. Trying to trick or outthink your audience isn't exactly great storytelling.

Jintor

Bodacious Space Pirates is going really slow. It's lucky that the concept of 'high school girls running an awesome spaceship' is more than enough to hold my attention for far longer than would otherwise be warranted. I hope it's got some good stuff on the horizon.

Polar Bear Cafe 7

Shirokuma-san is the best. Lol dating test just like a driving test.

Oh god kawaii polar bear. So good. That expression.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bodacious Space Pirates is going really slow. It's lucky that the concept of 'high school girls running an awesome spaceship' is more than enough to hold my attention for far longer than would otherwise be warranted. I hope it's got some good stuff on the horizon.

Mild spoiler: there are
lesbians

Dresden

You're gonna have to give a more specific example as I'm not going through his entire works. Trying to trick or outthink your audience isn't exactly great storytelling.

His recent (and most-feted) work, Adrift on the Sea of Rains. It's a case of using 'technobabble' to depict the psychological cage in which the characters willingly encase themselves.

Jarmel

Banned
His recent (and most-feted) work, Adrift on the Sea of Rains. It's a case of using 'technobabble' to depict the psychological cage in which the characters willingly encase themselves.

I haven't read it so I can't refute it. Actually seems interesting so I might get around to reading it.

Dresden

I haven't read it so I can't refute it. Actually seems interesting so I might get around to reading it.

It's pretty good, so it's nice you might get around to it, but I don't see what there's to refute--dealing in absolutes the way you did earlier is just going to turn up contrary examples, because any time something becomes a trope (as t-babble did in sci-fi), there's going to be a reaction to it, and that reaction isn't going to be restricted to parody.

Arthea

I've watched the first episode of majestic prince. Can't say characters impressed me, actually kinda depressed instead, but I like mechas.

mAcOdIn

Mayou 01

Screen%2520shot%25202013-01-04%2520at%252010.18.49%2520AM.png

This has so much potential, but the fanservice threatens to kill it. It's like the Spice and Wolf directors were ordered to make it appeal to more mainstream anime ethusiasts, which I'm guessing is more or less what happened
I felt the opposite. It's like it had no potential. I don't feel anything between the two leads. It's literally the coldest love story ever. They could have just started the first episode with the chick asking the hero to fuck with him just shrugging and saying "I guess so, I'm yours so, uh, I got some time to spare before going back to doing nothing."

And of course you get nothing of consequence from the glasses maid girl either,, maybe I should've stuck with it long enough to get to the blond knight, but, Jesus the show was so boring.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I felt the opposite. It's like it had no potential. I don't feel anything between the two leads. It's literally the coldest love story ever. They could have just started the first episode with the chick asking the hero to fuck with him just shrugging and saying "I guess so, I'm yours so, uh, I got some time to spare before going back to doing nothing."

And of course you get nothing of consequence from the glasses maid girl either,, maybe I should've stuck with it long enough to get to the blond knight, but, Jesus the show was so boring.

At least this didn't happen to Spicy Wolf!

mAcOdIn

At least this didn't happen to Spicy Wolf!
Right?

Plus, no one could ever properly animate a love sequence between Lawrence and Holo. The perfect couple with the perfect romance deserves a perfect scene and there's noone alive with that experience. Instead we'd have sweaty men arguing over whether they should make her go full wolf to please the furry fans versus, I guess there's really no need to contrast that with anything, it's bad enough.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Right?

Plus, no one could ever properly animate a love sequence between Lawrence and Holo. The perfect couple with the perfect romance deserves a perfect scene and there's noone alive with that experience. Instead we'd have sweaty men arguing over whether they should make her go full wolf to please the furry fans versus, I guess there's really no need to contrast that with anything, it's bad enough.
Uh, no. Anthro wolf, sure. Full wolf? Pass.

I highly recommend it -- it's one of my all-time favorites. I particularly like how the show doesn't always take Ippo's side when the two combatants step into the ring, and you usually have a sympathetic backstory for the other fighter. The story is also well-paced, and in places where more training segments might bog down the story you instead skip to the actual fight and watch the fruit of each fighter's efforts. It certainly set the standard for most combative sports anime to follow, and is equal parts inspiring, sincere, and exciting.

Thats like a perfect description of everything I like in a anime! I started watching Ippo and stopped at episode 7 before I realized it was 3am lol. I wanna go do some rope skipping and work out!

Yes, and it doesn't even feel close to ending, either. I feel like I've been keeping up with series like Ippo, Conan and One Piece forever, and their manga are still probably going to be running for at least 5-10 more years. It's pretty crazy.

But unlike Conan and OP there is no long running Ippo anime :S

cajunator

Banned

Polar Bear Cafe 7

Shirokuma-san is the best. Lol dating test just like a driving test.

Oh god kawaii polar bear. So good. That expression.

it does get pretty good.
the opening episodes are pretty much for hard sci fi fans.
later on there are lesbians.
yarrrrr!
Also the blurays are lovely!
*hugs blurays

Wiktor

Right?

In full wolf she's of such size that there's no way Lawrence would ever be able to please her :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I'm nearly done with both Acchi Kocchi and Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb. Once I finish them, I'm thinking about going for A-Channel and GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class. Because apparently I have to watch everything adapted from a Manga Time Kirara yonkoma. Or something.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on those two shows?

Jarmel

Banned
It's pretty good, so it's nice you might get around to it, but I don't see what there's to refute--dealing in absolutes the way you did earlier is just going to turn up contrary examples, because any time something becomes a trope (as t-babble did in sci-fi), there's going to be a reaction to it, and that reaction isn't going to be restricted to parody.

That's because the connotation of the actual meaning of technobabble is negative. The wording itself is loaded and is inherently a negative. Can it be manipulated into being a positive by somehow reflecting that the characters inside the work don't understand what is going on as well as the readers themselves? Sure but then it borders on parody or satire, either way there is a heavy element of self-awareness.

Actually, are you sure it's not jargon they're using compared to technobabble?

Theonik

duckroll to sell us out so they can make an new animeGAF thread every month?
I expect licensed AnimeGAF video games any time now. Chethammer a strategy game about tits by Relic.

I just keep rolling down, rolling down, rolling down ♪
It's tumblin'

Any example anime doing technobabble right?

Only SB Yamato that came into my mind, and Dougram that I currently watching.
08th MS Team! :lol

Kazzy

That's just animation though, not plot, characters, etc... as I said, it was fun and entertaining and I liked it, but it had no originality or unique elements (or good storytelling or characters, it's just very generic stuff) and that does matter.

Maybe, but generic doesn't automatically equate to bad, at least for me. It's how something works within that framework that usually dictates how I view something, and whether it does enough to successfully circumvent those notions we attach to something we'd typically deem as "generic". After all, are perception is always skewed, so what actually falls under that banner is continually shifting.

I just think it executes on its core aspects excellently, however simplistic. Which I guess is something that you interpret as a lack of ambition, at least in terms of narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom