• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Suisei no Gargantia - 01

WKWnFkH.png

yANXq0v.png

I think I'm in love.

Very interesting opener. Will be sticking to this one for sure!

Dresden

gargantia - 01

My favorite opener of the season, and I only liked like 50% of it. Good times.

That jargon overload early on was kinda terrible. It's like those derivative fantasy things where everything has an apostrophe in it and sounds vaguely elvish/finnish - my sin'dari hkka'lar'h ji'ghsdisdfadsoaij, etc - except with European names to fill in the bubbles. It's all noise, and that's how I feel about the first half of the episode in general. There's some good stuff pre-battle, both art- and writing-related, at least; hints at the kind of society they're defending, the main dude's origins, the inevitable culture shock once he is introduced to the verdurous planet. But most of it is drowned by too much chatter--too much techno-babble that means nothing--exposition and explosions without context.

But the latter half of the episode - wherein we are introduced to the setting and a few of the main cast - was pretty damn good. Glad this is where the focus will be; the design-work is excellent and the contrast between the derelict background of the ship and the people living within it is rather indicative of the kind of dissonance Ledo suffered from in his war. Fond of how they show communicative difficulties by shifting perspectives--one moment you hear Ledo's speech as Spacebabble, the next it's Amy being rendered as something needing a translation.

Just where the story will go is obvious, but who cares, really.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you do, mention in the title that the Chimera Ant arc is starting, which is where the original anime left off.

I tried to fit in as much as I could. I wanted to make people know that it was made by the Yu Yu Hakusho creator, but at the same time mention the Chimera Ant Arc. I could only get in Chimera Arc though. I didn't want to have to shorten Yu Yu Hakusho, in case some people didn't know that was what the acronym stood for. I need to get some sleep now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536403

Jex

Attack on Titan 1

Everything has already been said about this show, so I'm just going to say it was an excellent to start to a hopefully wonderful series. Some scenes felt a bit weird, mainly
when Hannes was going to face off against the titan but after being intimidated by it he immediately goes back to pick up Eren and Mikasa to flee from it
. It just seemed off for this type of show, though this could probably be because I haven't read the manga. I also love the OST and the OP, they get me pumped in the same way a Ys song might.

It seemed pretty reasonable to me. Hannes has been 'defending town' which is another way of saying he's been doing very little with his time. He's not some kind of titan-slayer and he's intoxicated. He realised he was going to get annihilated for these very reasons.

It seemed pretty reasonable to me. Hannes has been 'defending town' which is another way of saying he's been doing very little with his time. He's not some kind of titan-slayer and he's intoxicated. He realised he was going to get annihilated for these very reasons.

Yea it's pretty much PTSD the show.

Instro

gargantia - 01

My favorite opener of the season, and I only liked like 50% of it. Good times.

That jargon overload early on was kinda terrible.

I stopped reading it after a fews seconds, really mind numbing stuff there. Particularly with how rapidly it was coming at you, but I guess that's the point since its pretty unimportant.

I should have explained that better. The way it went from him looking at the titan and then showing him rescuing Eren and Mikasa the very next shot made it feel very comedic in relation to the overall seriousness of the show.

Branduil

I should have explained that better. The way it went from him looking at the titan and then showing him rescuing the Eren and Mikasa the very next shot made it feel very comedic in relation to the overall seriousness of the show.

Well, I think that's supposed to be a little bit darkly comedic. It's funny because Hannes was so gung-ho and
"heroic" until he realized what exactly he was facing.

trejo

Gargantia 1

Excellent first episode. Between just this and Titan this season is justified already!

The technobabble at the beginning got old fast, as did the alternating fake language yelling between the characters though thankfully not as much. The first episode did a fine job of hooking me into the setting and I'm definitely interested in watching more.

Also, I didn't mind the squirrel too much mostly because I've suffered through enough mascot characters in my time to be unphazed by it. I do see how others would find it insufferable, however.

Well, I think that's supposed to be a little bit darkly comedic. It's funny because Hannes was so gung-ho and
"heroic" until he realized what exactly he was facing.

It was definitely funny, but I just feel it killed a bit of the tension in a very serious moment. It was definitely less forced than how some shows have done it.

CorvoSol

Weird hair guy with glasses is Tyrion?

More like Maester Pycelle.

GaoGaiGar Final 2

HOLY EFF. That was the most amazing episode of this entire show. Making Gai fight Mamoru, after Mamoru had killed someone, tried the trust of his companions and
blown Choryujin in half
as he ranted and raved about finally having Galeon's power while Gai argued with him was amazing. The scene where he's cracking up and dying in Gai's arms man. HOLY EFF. I was actually kinda bummed when
it turned out not to be Mamoru at all.

But seriously, Stallion and Swan White are having sex with each other even though they are siblings.

Pooya

Attack on Titan - 1

I really like the shaded look it has, it was alright though I hope this isn't another Evangelion clone. I expect the show to start looking like shit after first 2-3 episodes at most, my expectations are low at the moment :p

I like how all of these titans have troll face on, lol
I'm not sure if the ending part was supposed to be funny, I laughed

Grzi

Attack on Titan - 1

I really really enjoyed this. I read the first couple of volumes of the manga some time ago, so I don't remember much about it, and I'm not sure if I want to continue reading it, I'd much rather just enjoy the anime if they keep the same level of quality throughout the show. We all know that it won't look this good ALL the time, but I'd love to be surprised.
But yeah, great atmosphere, music, animation, tight direction, I couldn't be more happier.

I did enjoy the first episode of Magi too, though...

Jex

[Gargantia] - 1

The first half of this episode was pretty bad, all things considered. On one hand we have the much discussed issue of 'techno babble' fatigue which, by and large, did very little to illuminate what was actually going on. This was kind of a problem because the visuals certainly weren't helping to key the audience into what was going on. All I could make out was that there was some kind of battle in space but I had no grasp of the complexion of either side or how many units were involved or what there strategy was. All it ended up being was hundreds of moving images firing pew-pew lasers against something or other in a three dimensional battle and so it looked like a nonsense Star Wars space battle from the prequel trilogy. Action where you can't work out what's going on and you don't even care is completely redundant.

Luckily the second half was completely different and much better, although I don't know how interesting it's going to be when this initial tension between characters is inevitably resolved and we have to get to grips with the actual show. I'm cautiously optimistic at present.

fertygo

Any example anime doing technobabble right?

Only SB Yamato that came into my mind, and Dougram that I currently watching.

Pooya

Eren is already like the anti-Shinji so I don't get this comparison.

MC being exactly 180 of Shinji is probably one way author deliberately tried for it not look exactly like Evangelion to the audience, still only their motives are different, they are likely have similar vital roles against the titans... the premise is similar from this opening episode, mysterious nature of invaders is always interesting, hopefully keep it like that till the ending, can go a lot of different way later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom