• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

CG animation is not anime?

With some of the conversations about what is and what isn't anime, I wasn't sure. Something like the Final Fantasy movie Advent Children for example, some seem to see it as an anime but others don't. I can include it in the list as it's not really that big of a deal to me in the end.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
With some of the conversations about what is and what isn't anime, I wasn't sure. Something like the Final Fantasy movie Advent Children for example, some seem to see it as an anime but others don't. I can include it in the list as it's not really that big of a deal to me in the end.
Is it animation? Yes

Is it animation by Japanese people? Yes

This is not like Korra no Densetsu where you can make the arguments for it not being animu (it is animu though).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hey guys, what's anime?

What's a harem?

What defines a loli?

What is moe?

image.php

Nafe

Is it animation? Yes

Is it animation by Japanese people? Yes

This is not like Korra no Densetsu where you can make the arguments for it not being animu (it is animu though).

Ok. It's ultimately not really a big deal to me so I added it to the movies list.

Jex

If we're going for a basic and safe definition of anime e.g. animation produced in Japan then yes, it's an anime.

That's not the most robust definition of anime that exists but it is the most useful shorthand that I have access to.

Narag

Updated the OT list a bit. I don't know, would that Resident Evil movie really be considered an anime?

---

I hope he comes back. PreCure can't defeat the forces of evil unless the whole team is present.

or do you just want me to start calling you "Mad Pierrot The 2nd" from now on?

I could never fill his shoes. If he doesn't make it back anytime soon though, I'll attempt a summoning ritual.

Jex

I don't even know what's your problem is.
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with attempting to discuss of any of these particular topics. Each one is a potentially ripe source for discussion and they could all (potentially) allow you to take an interesting look at the anime industry.

However, for the most part what these discussions do is travel in circles with people espousing arguments based on personal gut impressions rather than logic or insight. They can also have the unfortunate consequence of generating bad feelings between fellow humans.

Of course, just because that's how things tend to end doesn't mean that they always need to end up like that. I was just highlighting a pattern that I had notice from reading the thread today.

There are usually plenty of other interesting things to discuss anyway.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with attempting to discuss of any of these particular topics. Each one is a potentially ripe source for discussion and they could all (potentially) allow you to take an interesting look at the anime industry.

However, for the most part what these discussions do is travel in circles with people espousing arguments based on personal gut impressions rather than logic or insight. They can also have the unfortunate consequence of generating bad feelings between fellow humans.

Of course, just because that's how things tend to end doesn't mean that they always need to end up like that. I was just highlighting a pattern that I had notice from reading the thread today.

There are usually plenty of other interesting things to discuss anyway.

Well. It started out as a nice discussion of two shows. Then it devolved into something horrific. lol.

/XX/

Talking again about organizing old posts and impressions and I went and collected together all the OT threads that I had or could think of. Some might already have these bookmarked or subscribed to but I thought collecting them in one place might make for easier reference.
You thought well! Many thanks for these and the previous seasonal threads compilation efforts, Nafe! One thread I loved 'lurking' at before taking the plunge and becoming a member here was this one:

Believe in me who believes in you -- The Gurren Lagann thread of burning passion - NeoGAF
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158216

Good times, good times... I'm sure 789shadow could very well check some "fresh" impressions from that thread!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You thought well! Many thanks for these and the previous seasonal threads compilation efforts, Nafe! One thread I loved 'lurking' at before taking the plunge and becoming a member here was this one:

Believe in me who believes in you -- The Gurren Lagann thread of burning passion - NeoGAF
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158216

Good times, good times...
This and the Brawl thread were what convinced me to join GAF.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hey guys, what's anime?

What's a harem?

What defines a loli?

What is moe?
What uncool folk call japanimation.

The separate part of a Muslim household reserved for wives, concubines, and female servants.

loli haet pizza

A text editor maintained by the GNU project

CorvoSol

Azumanga Daioh 2

Hiccups! And also volleyball! And detatchable Chiyo-chan pigtails! I love the way this show can go from completely mundane to utterly surreal in an instant. It's like a Japanese schoolgirl version of Ed Edd n Eddy.

cajunator

Banned

Thats a huge spoiler?!

Suisei no Gargantia - 01

Probably my favorite opener of the season so far. Very intriguing premise. Loved the artwork and the animation...even the CG was ok. Just hope that the entire show's budget wasn't blown in the first episode.

This is probably the case. Im expecting the next few episodes to take huge steps down in animation quality. Hopefully they don't fuck it up.

I just wanted to jump in and say that the Nyaruko-San W OP song is way more catchy than the original.

It won't stop playing in my head!

It definitely is. But I cant stop hearing "sons of bitches" XD
But who cares? MORE NYARUKO!
I need that figurine of her.

It looks like we are getting more Infinite Stratos
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-08/publisher-lists-new-infinite-stratos-tv-anime

Wonder if it's a reboot or a new story.

Honestly I didn't expect to see more, but I will watch this if Charles is in it. Such is my fate and my curse.

Sakura warrrssssssss
So good. How much of the show was released here? I only have the first OVAs I think.

There is always a "winner" in harem shows. Always.

I dunno. Maburaho was kind of weird in that
the MC split into multiple versions, one for every girl as a result of magic gone wrong

CorvoSol

confirm or deny, crunchyroll is the john cena of the anime industry.

I don't know what this means.

Broken Blade 2

So this episode was in part a "Shinji tries to run away" episode. Rygart decides he can't put up with the fact that his being an idealistic doofus has gotten some people killed, and also that this losing war is going to cost him all of his best friends. I still think King Hodr is gonna die so that Rygart winds up with Queen Sigyn, since Sigyn and Hodr never are ever seen together, and she's constantly throwing herself at Rygart, but I hope I'm wrong, because Hodr is awesome and has an owl.

I really like the Broken Blade as a mech. Something about the tattered clothes on it make it feel really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom