• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagami

Going with a friend to see what wolf kiddies are like.
This better be as good as you people have hyped it up to be!!

ibhe8Y1omXCa94.PNG

This has been a disappointing season for me so far.

Devil Survivor 2 Animiation and Arata Kangatari are in 1 cour rush hell.

Any hopes of Date a Live being worth watching the have been dashed.

Hataraku Maou-sama! is the bright spot for me so far.

I really hope Railgun S doesn't butcher the adaption of the next arc.

I thought Arata is at least 2?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Azumanga Daioh 2

Hiccups! And also volleyball! And detatchable Chiyo-chan pigtails! I love the way this show can go from completely mundane to utterly surreal in an instant. It's like a Japanese schoolgirl version of Ed Edd n Eddy.

Oooh, you're watching Azumanga Daioh now? Excellent! Such a great show. And basically the template that all modern high-school slice of life comedies are based on. Enjoy it!

CorvoSol

- The action itself is a mess of stuff exploding, camera's moving around, and lasers shooting at stuff. There's no sense of flow, of push and pull, of a serious battle taking place. There's no understandable geography. As we're never really told what's going on we can't tell how the battle is going and so this interferes with our ability to care about what is happening. Should we be excited that humanity is winning? Maybe, but we can't tell if they're winning or losing or what because this information isn't being shown.

This is precisely the problem I had with the so-called action in Gundam 00 from season S2 onward. By the movie it was utterly incoherent, just like the plot, dialogue and characters themselves.

Oooh, you're watching Azumanga Daioh now? Excellent! Such a great show. And basically the template that all modern high-school slice of life comedies are based on. Enjoy it!

I watched it a few years back, but I need something that isn't mecha to keep me sane. Also I'm trying to watch good anime (even if I've seen it) to wash out the shit taste of shit shows like Gundam 00 and Gundam AGE and Rah Inceston.

cajunator

Banned

Yup. I cannot believe how many spinoffs that show has generated and continues to generate. Truly anime struck gold when it happened upon that formula.

Kagami

I have to say, I fucking love Bodacious Space Pirate's OP. But fucking crunchyroll is lagging like a shitcan on 720p for some goddamn reason.

I don't like MomoClover's off-key singing but everyone seems to love this OP for the music and guitar.

Damn this is like moe FTL. Also a little like Girls und Panzer just because of the massive schoolgirl cast. A hell of a lot longer to get the point though, but now that we're there it's really hella exciting!

God damn, this is the most exciting hacking I've ever seen.
Episode 5 is awesome. Really sold me on the show.

BluWacky

Arata Kangatari 1

This show is not that great, but I liked it anyway.

There is nothing remarkable about its production values - there are some terribly animated horse things but otherwise it's what you'd expect from Satelight, identikit faces from all their shows and middling-to-poor CG effects animation (Code:Breaker this is not). Nor is the premise very original at all.

Part of it is, in fact, incredibly stupid - quite why no-one seems to see that normal world Arata is wearing completely different clothes and has completely different hair from fantasy Arata I don't know and it's badly explained.

So I'm not going to sell anyone on this show. I think I just have a soft spot for shows like this.

"Boy/girl in another world" stories have always been my personal favourite brand of adolescent wish fulfilment, and with the premise being that the two Aratas have swapped places I get double the fun (assuming, of course, the show ever chooses to do anything with the real world half ever again, given that it's theoretically much less interesting than waving swords around in fantasy world).

So I'm not recommending the show by any means, but... I'll watch more!

cajunator

Banned
I don't like MomoClover's off-key singing but everyone seems to love this OP for the music and guitar.

Episode 5 is awesome. Really sold me on the show.

Its a really unique OP. Like a space rock opera. totally amazing. Kind of like Kigurumi Wakusei the ED of Hanamaru Kindergarten. Just a frenetic song that keeps changing sounds and styles throughout. SO GOOD.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yup. I cannot believe how many spinoffs that show has generated and continues to generate. Truly anime struck gold when it happened upon that formula.

Seriously. It's like, every time I see a wacky teacher in a SOL anime, I think "Yep, there's the Yukari of this show". Yoshinoya is a Yukari. Fake Takane Shijou from Acchi Kocchi (I don't remember her name but holy shit she looks exactly like Takane) is a Yukari. Basically any wacky teacher character is a Yukari.

cajunator

Banned
Seriously. It's like, every time I see a wacky teacher in a SOL anime, I think "Yep, there's the Yukari of this show". Yoshinoya is a Yukari. Fake Takane Shijou from Acchi Kocchi (I don't remember her name but holy shit she looks exactly like Takane) is a Yukari. Basically any wacky teacher character is a Yukari.

Yukari is and always will be the best teacher in shows like that.

Metrotab

Banned
Nichibros - 12 (END)

Great show. It's hard to comment on sketch-based comedies like this, but I laughed till the very end.

The ED is one of the best I've ever seen.

8/10

OceanBlue

Not according to someone on AnimeSuki forums checked the DVD/Blu ray releases for this anime. The fact that the trailer and ending showed chapter 80+ material makes for a bad combination.

Lol at this comment from that guy who posted the information on Animesuki:
Thats the point. This is basically magi 2.0 .
We don't need to look for Magi 2.0 anymore! Arata Kangatari is sacrificing itself to save all of us!

sonicmj1

Because the series begins with the main character being a poopsocker and he literally, after 25 episodes, has no agency in the "real world". Even being a master kendo person only matters in the game world.

I don't think the distinction you're making between the real and virtual worlds is meaningful. In our interconnected online world, things that happen in cyberspace affect reality. I'm sure it's not much comfort to Adam Orth, for instance, that his comments weren't said in the real world.

We live in a world where someone like Flash can become a national celebrity because he's good at Starcraft. So why is it particularly disgusting to glorify Kirito for being good at this particular genre of MMO? His accomplishments ultimately had significant real-world consequences, and his relationships established in one game persist to the real world and beyond.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think the distinction you're making between the real and virtual worlds is meaningful. In our interconnected online world, things that happen in cyberspace affect reality. I'm sure it's not much comfort to Adam Orth, for instance, that his comments weren't said in the real world.

We live in a world where someone like Flash can become a national celebrity because he's good at Starcraft. So why is it particularly disgusting to glorify Kirito for being good at this particular genre of MMO? His accomplishments ultimately had significant real-world consequences, and his relationships established in one game persist to the real world and beyond.

Because presumably Flash is a human being with a personality, depth, and exhibits a wide variety of various human traits that a woman (or a man) would find attractive in another human being. This is how relationships work and why just having the same hobbies doesn't guarantee a 60 year marriage with several kids and grandkids.

At least, I assume he is more than just a Starcraft robot anyway.

OceanBlue

It's a shame since i was wondering how things will be since i kinda liked the first episode.

Lol, don't mind me. I'm just abusing a joke which probably stopped being funny a little while ago. I agree that it's a shame to hear about the rushed pace the anime might take, since I was kinda interested in the anime after seeing the PV (even if it looked kinda ugly, lol). I might give it a try anyway.

Noirulus

Majestic Prince - 01

Could have been worse. I appreciated the lighthearted nature of the main cast, because teenagers taking themselves seriously is rarely done well in anime.

The CG Action scenes were forgettable. There's a ton of destruction and fighting happening on the screen, but there was no way to gauge the threat of the enemy nor could you get a good sense of the scope of the battle. The characters strolled through everything and the enemy retreated almost instantly.

I'll continue watching it with low expectations in mind.

Joe Molotov

We postin' lists and rankings and shit yet?

----------------GET EXCITE!-------------
1. Attack on Titan
2. The Devil is a Part-Timer
3. Gargantia
----------------Maybe-------------
4. Devil Summoner 2
5. Severing Crime Edge
6. Red Data Girl
7. Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties
8. Muromi-san
9. Mushibugyo
10. Arata the Legend
----------------Shit Tier Border-------------
11. Leviatan
12. Majestic Prince
13. My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Suspected
14. Karneval
15. Samurai Bride
16. Flowers of Evil
17. Photo Kano
18. Date a Live

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Because presumably Flash is a human being with a personality, depth, and exhibits a wide variety of various human traits that a woman (or a man) would find attractive in another human being. This is how relationships work and why just having the same hobbies doesn't guarantee a 60 year marriage with several kids and grandkids.

At least, I assume he is more than just a Starcraft robot anyway.

Except they get along fine judging by what we saw in the show. Sure they met and got "married" cuz of the game but that's not why they're together though. I feel like you're disregarding the human aspect a lot and making them out to be some empty internet zombies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Except they get along fine judging by what we saw in the show. Sure they met and got "married" cuz of the game but that's not why they're together though. I feel like you're disregarding the human aspect a lot and making them out to be some empty internet zombies.
I suppose he showed great growth when he became Batman for an episode?

Articalys

I hesitate to make a list yet because we're only one episode into the season, but for now I've got eight shows I'm watching (seven new + Space Brothers), maybe nine pending future impressions, which is a lot more manageable compared to Winter either way.

Too bad almost everything is on Thursday or Saturday.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

In all honesty I feel like you view him as a lifeless empty character. He has no human aspect at all. This is definitely not the case. Even in the dumbest show, Date-A-Live included, has protagonists that show human characteristics and some semblance of personality/traits. The way you're describing Kirito seems to reject that altogether. I'd love to have a fruitful discussion but it feels like you're being uncooperative in trying to actually dissect something. Instead you're just baselessly hating on something. If that's how it's going to go down then I'm just going to end the conversation here.

Lol, don't mind me. I'm just abusing a joke which probably stopped being funny a little while ago. I agree that it's a shame to hear about the rushed pace the anime might take, since I was kinda interested in the anime after seeing the PV (even if it looked kinda ugly, lol). I might give it a try anyway.

I hope they don't rush this one.

Like i said earlier he hasn't seen them interracting outside the game enough because they couldn't show this.
Even if they did show them together outside ..maybe it wasn't enough ?

sonicmj1

Who doesn't want to be Batman?

I mean, in Twilight, Bella's defining character traits are that she's clumsy and she's madly in love with a vampire. And multiple people fall madly in love with her for that! This isn't unusual.

I'm not trying to make SAO out to be good or anything, I just don't think the fact that he plays MMOs suddenly turns standard teenage fulfillment schlock into the Dark Spawn of Satan.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 48: The Two-Headed Snake: The Battle at Rantemario

~ I need to leave this old body for the enemy firing squad, right? ~

Bucock is one hell of a tough fighter. Manages to hold himself up by the skin of his teeth against Mittermeyer, Fahrenheit and Bittenfeld. Great fleet combat too. The desperation attack by the Alliance reminded me of the theory that random moves in a strategic game can confuse master players dearly.
And Trung Yu Chan is an exceptional tactician. Where the hell did the Alliance manage to hide his talents before this war? Likable guy too.

Id make a list but I still have valvrave, karneval, arata, sparrow's hotel to watch out of the 13 shows I picked up :/

Flowers of Evil 1

Only issue with the visuals is the characters dont blush and stuff which was odd. The effect of the scenes to make them a bit more special and memorable was lost as all the character did was get flustered and nothing else, that is when Saeki and Kasuga had the moment where they both looked at one another with the grades and then he turned, I guess in most anime a characters face would turn red and what not.

Kasuga is an good character but Yamada and his voice was hilarious, easily great and most memorable moments of the episode. Nakamara was shocking with her comment as it was just so absurd and well unbelievably rude. I hope IRL JPN teachers and students are not that rude quite eye opening
when he was like about to hit her and stuff, rude

OP is in the running for best of the season and the ED is atrocious, Ill skip it every week.

7Th

The first episodes of the new seasons of Jewelpet and Pretty Rhythm got subbed.

AM I MAN ENOUGH TO WATCH THEM?

Talking again about organizing old posts and impressions and I went and collected together all the OT threads that I had or could think of. Some might already have these bookmarked or subscribed to but I thought collecting them in one place might make for easier reference.

Sometimes different ones might want to go back and read through an OT even if they can't contribute anymore. I read through the OreImo and Panty & Stocking thread after I watched those shows and I think I might go back and read through the Fate/Zero and From the New World threads sometime.

I tried organizing the OTs roughly the season they stated in each year and roughly alphabetically as well for multiple OTs in a season. This was only kind of a rough draft so I may very well have missed a few OTs. I thought the anime C: The Possibility of Money and Control had one for example but I can't seem to find it with what I'm typing in to search. I may be mistaken and there never was one either.

If anyone's interested anyway here's a list of a bunch of the one's I could find.

---

K-On OT (In this case the anime actually started in 2009 but the official thread for the show wasn't made until 2012)

Demon Maiden Zakuro(Otome Yokai Zakuro) OT
OreImo OT
Panty & Stocking OT

Winter
Wandering Son(Hourou Musuko) OT
Madoka Magica OT

Spring
Deadman Wonderland OT
Toriko OT
Hanasaku Iroha OT
Steins;Gate OT

Summer
Mawaru Penguindrum OT
The Idolm@ster TV OT

Fall
Fate/Zero OT
Fairy Tail OT
Future Diary(Mirai Nikki) OT
New Hunter x Hunter OT
Persona 4: The Animation OT
Sket Dance OT

Spring
Eureka Seven Astral Ocean OT
Hyouka OT
Kids on the Slope(Sakamichi no Apollon) OT
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine OT
Saint Seiya Omega OT
Space Brothers OT
Tsuritama OT
Zetman OT

Fall
From the New World(Shin Sekai Yori) OT
Little Busters! OT
Psycho-Pass OT
Sword Art Online OT

Winter
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OT

Spring
Attack on Titan(Shingeki no Kyoujin) OT
Devil Survivor 2 The Animation OT
The Flowers of Evil(Aku no Hana) OT
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet OT
Majestic Prince OT
OreImo Season 2 OT

Specials

Little Witch Academia OT

Movies

Angel's Egg(Tenshi no Tamago) OT
Wolf Children Ame and Yuki(Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki) OT
Resident Evil Damnation OT

You're missing my Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka and Dog Days OTs.

Also, Hells Angels might count, though I don't know if it's considered an OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom