• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsionBolt

Sword Art Online engdub trailer was posted http://youtu.be/C8Jl_-b7ju0

"Your name's Keelytoh."
"Ah suhnuh!"
"If I die in the game... I'll die in REAL LIFE"

It seems to match the show in quality. A solid investment that everyone who would consider buying SAO will surely approve of.

Am I the only one who likes dubs better when they change the names to something the actors can pronounce? Or, I guess, use competent actors, but that's even more rare.

No problem ? Should i use my definition of harem or the one i've been told a few hours ago ?
Because those aren't the same results.

Quote to see an example

*wikipedias*

The fuck is this shit.

But still not what I was asking for. I want an anime about a harem of loli sisters (not hentai).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ah, nice as in "lively", not "friendly". Gotcha.

Well. It's not like we were at each other's throats. At least I wasn't. I mean the topic concerned each of our hated shows so it's obvious that the tone would be presented as such. I wasn't being antagonistic, or at least that was not my intention. I can't speak for firehawk12 though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well. It's not like we were at each other's throats. At least I wasn't. I mean the topic concerned each of our hated shows so it's obvious that the tone would be presented as such. I wasn't being antagonistic, or at least that was not my intention. I can't speak for firehawk12 though.

The problem is that I genuinely detest SAO as much as Glenn Beck or any other Fox Friend, so my perspective is suitably skewed. lol

kayos90

The problem is that I genuinely detest SAO as much as Glenn Beck or any other Fox Friend, so my perspective is suitably skewed. lol

You make it sound like I don't genuinely detest DAL. I actually thought I couldn't hate a show like this but... idk...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You make it sound like I don't genuinely detest DAL. I actually thought I couldn't hate a show like this but... idk...

DAL is just another iteration of the shitty harem anime though. I guess I find it interesting that this is the one to break the camel's back, as it were.

kayos90

DAL is just another iteration of the shitty harem anime though. I guess I find it interesting that this is the one to break the camel's back, as it were.

I don't get the camel's back joke. Is that like a joke about a virgin's first time or something?

Tenumi

Banned
Sword Art Online engdub trailer was posted http://youtu.be/C8Jl_-b7ju0

The video doesn't seem to load for me. Probably a good thing since its Sword Art Online.

Speaking of which, When I was hanging out with some old friends watching some anime, one of them piped in about how awesome SAO is and how we should watch it. Lucky for me, I already knew not to take her opinion seriously: She's obsessed with Hetalia.

This has been a disappointing season for me so far.

Devil Survivor 2 Animiation and Arata Kangatari are in 1 cour rush hell.

Any hopes of Date a Live being worth watching the have been dashed.

Hataraku Maou-sama! is the bright spot for me so far.

I really hope Railgun S doesn't butcher the adaption of the next arc.

cajunator

Banned
So the six pages made in the short time I was asleep this morning was mostly haremshit talk.
Figures.

Mayoi Neko Overrun ended up with no winner, talking about the books since there will never be a second season.

This show was so disappointedly boring. There's no loss not having another season.

Can you even consider School Days a harem? Other that Koto and Sekai who else likes Makoto?

School Days is THE HAREM by which others are judged.

tumblr_m5z0dvj1ob1qbyztsy9.gif

You posted best girl. not sure why. don''t care why.

Crunchyroll got Yuyushiki

One box to go.

fuck yeah!

Talking again about organizing old posts and impressions and I went and collected together all the OT threads that I had or could think of. Some might already have these bookmarked or subscribed to but I thought collecting them in one place might make for easier reference.

Sometimes different ones might want to go back and read through an OT even if they can't contribute anymore. I read through the OreImo and Panty & Stocking thread after I watched those shows and I think I might go back and read through the Fate/Zero and From the New World threads sometime.

I tried organizing the OTs roughly the season they stated in each year and roughly alphabetically as well for multiple OTs in a season. This was only kind of a rough draft so I may very well have missed a few OTs. I thought the anime C: The Possibility of Money and Control had one for example but I can't seem to find it with what I'm typing in to search. I may be mistaken and there never was one either.

If anyone's interested anyway here's a list of a bunch of the one's I could find.

---

K-On OT (In this case the anime actually started in 2009 but the official thread for the show wasn't made until 2012)

Demon Maiden Zakuro(Otome Yokai Zakuro) OT
OreImo OT
Panty & Stocking OT

Winter
Wandering Son(Hourou Musuko) OT
Madoka Magica OT

Spring
Deadman Wonderland OT
Toriko OT
Hanasaku Iroha OT
Steins;Gate OT

Summer
Mawaru Penguindrum OT
The Idolm@ster TV OT

Fall
Fate/Zero OT
Fairy Tail OT
Future Diary(Mirai Nikki) OT
New Hunter x Hunter OT
Persona 4: The Animation OT
Sket Dance OT

Spring
Eureka Seven Astral Ocean OT
Hyouka OT
Kids on the Slope(Sakamichi no Apollon) OT
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine OT
Saint Seiya Omega OT
Space Brothers OT
Tsuritama OT
Zetman OT

Fall
From the New World(Shin Sekai Yori) OT
Little Busters! OT
Psycho-Pass OT
Sword Art Online OT

Winter
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OT

Spring
Attack on Titan(Shingeki no Kyoujin) OT
Devil Survivor 2 The Animation OT
The Flowers of Evil(Aku no Hana) OT
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet OT
Majestic Prince OT
OreImo Season 2 OT

Specials

Little Witch Academia OT

Movies

Angel's Egg(Tenshi no Tamago) OT
Wolf Children Ame and Yuki(Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki) OT
Resident Evil Damnation OT

I really appreciate your amazing yet frightening encyclopedia knowledge Nafe.

OP RANKING

Muromi-san
Attack on Titan (everyone has seen it, no need for links)
Tanken Driland
Gargantia
Obari does Obari things

Actually, Takuto only had one girl kinda going after him. Every other girl had her own love interest. Rahxephon is Bones' real harem anime.

Muromi's OP really stick with you.

Yuyushiki! Yes! Let's process some data, motherfuckers! :D

tumblr_mkxstpx3IK1snb835o2_400.gif

I love your enthusiasm for things I like.

I'm looking at that Penguindrum OT. I'm not one to buy anime merchandise, but I would totally consider buying one of those giant stuffed penguins. I don't think they actually sell them though.

Those penguins are a ripoff. Almost bought one before I realized they look completely different from the show and from advertised.

So guys which is the best loli from a harem show? The world must know!

Shinobu of course!

Best meme of forever.

It feels like I'm experiencing a future S.O.S. post. Debating what is and what isn't a loli is a bit like discussing what is or isn't a harem with the added downside of making you sound like a paedophile. If they're under 18 you're being creepy. Presuming that you're like, over 18.

And if we are over 31?

TTGL 07-08

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

MY TITSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ib1pZEMAUFXBaV.gif

KAMINA NO

I see you have crested the chain hill and I sincerely hope you are holding on because you are about to be taken for a ride you aint gonna forget.

They adapted a episode from hayate no gotoku straight from the manga ?

This was a so - so episode , however i can't help but feel sorry for everyone who is confused by this turn of events

So to compensate i'll explain a few things for people who haven't read the manga if they wish to follow this season.

Where is the huge mansion, the guards and klauss ?
Nagi lost her right to inherit the sanzening familly money, as such she lost her mansion and her guards. Hayate and maria followed nagi when she relocated to this new mansion that was her property alone ( given by her mother ) and thus not part of the sanzenin estate. hayate followed because he has a moral debt to pay, maria followed to care care of nagi

Why are they all living together ?
Nagi has this mansion to fall back to, but want money , so she decides to rent the rooms. She then market the rent with bonus and said bonuses of the room rents is that they come with butler services provided by hayate & maria

Why is X character in here ?
Tama
is in the new house garden
Shiranui
is in the new house wandering
Isumi
has a room but spend most of her time doing demon exorcist with sakuya , outside and lose her way back
A-tan is a new character in the anime but present in the manga. she is
the child version of Athena who was Hayate first love and the one who taught hayate all his butler skills. She reverted to a child state and is spending time in a mansion protected by hayate since she needed a body guard. She also need hinagiku senbonzakura sword spirit powers to recover. Her child state has very few memories of hayate.
Hinagiku
was coerced into living in the mansion by Hayate , Aika & A-tan. She does it to stay close to hayate.
Ayumu
realised that this much girls near hayate is dangerous for her plans and asked wataru money to earn a 2 month rent pay for one of the rooms.
Chiharu
had her house destroyed in a fire and needed a quick place to live.

Who is this new character ?

Ruka Suirenji
works as an idol , like hayate and hinagiku she was at a young age forced to live alone with debt from her parents
She is friends with chiharu , she also aims despite her idol work to be a mangaka ( just like nagi) they are rival in that aspect. She fall in love with hayate too and thus also has a room in the new mansion

Kayura Tsurugino
took a vacant place at hakuo academy since wataru left the academy to focus of his company. Despite her apparance , she is a girl but doesn't have feeligns for hayate .. she is an "otaku expert ", spending her time in the mansion but usually sleeps in a tent in the garden.Give advice to nagi for her manga ( work in progress )

Jex

[Gargantia] - 1

While I've already posted some very rough initial impressions about this episode earlier I thought that I should put out something a little more substantial in the face of all the impressions that people have posted in the thread. Firstly, I wanted to disagree with one of the major criticisms that has been levelled at the first half of this episode: that it's loaded down with pointless technobabble.

There doesn't appear to be a broadly agreed definition of technobabble but all you really need to know is that it's a portmanteau of "technology" and "babble" because that really speaks for itself. When we're watching a show and characters are just spouting meaningless tech-related words back and forth to each other then we're suffering through a section of techonabble. Technobabble is generally bad because it's meaningless nonsense that usually attempting to disguise a writer solving a problem magically (Hey, how could you possibly fix that Warp Drive? Through the power of nonsensical words!) or because it's the writer attempting to disguise the fact that nothing much is going on. The writer is throwing a shroud over your eyes to distract from the fact that they're not being explicitly clear about what's going on.

Now, the opening to Gargantia is entirely told by characters who exist in an alien future setting that we know nothing about. This results in a variety of stretches of dialogue-types - exposition, normal dialogue and military dialogue.
Firstly, there's some straight forward exposition in the form of clearly biased speech that briefly establishes the setting and conflict. Then there's some more clunky exposition near the start of the fight where it's explained why they are attacking the enemy from the position that this one particular position. This may not be particularly subtle writing but neither is it pointless or unnecessarily obfuscating technonbabble.

Then there's some conversations that occur between characters before the fight which do a little bit to establish character - they aren't really bogged down with techonabble either.

Then there's the military operation where people are barking about commands and no-one is explaining anything. As such, a lot of the terms they throw around are meaningless to us because we really don't know what the heck they're talking about - what's a Klauserpass? Or a Telemocy Swing? I imagine that most of you take issue with these particular moments of the script and I can see why. However, they don't really bother me because they just appear to be fancy words for something that's fairly simple. A Telemocy Swing appears to be when you enter or exist a wormhole. A klauserpass missile appears to be some kind of big bomb, like a space nuke. It looks like he's just trying to spice the script up with some big words which doesn't actually make your script any clever, instead he's trying to add some character to the descriptions to that the setting feels more concrete. I don't think it's particularly effective but neither does it really qualify as an exercise in bad technobabble because the terms aren't pointless - they all clearly relate to something specific within the world of the show.

So, if we assume for a moment that the problems with the 'space' half of this episode aren't caused by bad technobabble then what is actual cause of the problem? I think it's actually pretty easy to pinpoint the problem: the battle sequence is a confusing and entirely unsatisfying mess that it's hard to care about.

So, there are a few key points to this battle, as far as I can tell:

- Humanity has laid all it's forces on the line and they must succeed. This is explicitly mentioned by Ledo's commanding officer. So we're immediately know that this is a really important fight. However we don't know anything about the nature of humanities conflict with the Hideauze. For example, are the Hideauze about to eradicate humanity? What's the balance of power like between the two factions? What will happen to humanity if are hero's cannot destroy the Hideauze nest? As none of this is laid out it's kind of hard to care whether our heroes win or lose because we don't actually know what's on the line. You can't just tell us it's important without saying it's important because x y and z. I think this is a major problem.

- The battle starts with the humans shooting a bunch of lasers and their super-weapon at the enemy plant-canon. Then in the middle of the battle something happens with people flying around and shooting lasers. A
t the end the plant-canon has regenerated from it's earlier-attack and wipes out a large portion of the human fleet, forcing the survivors to retreat.
Then Ledo decides to go showboating for reasons that are unclear. He says he's going to hold them back, but it's never clearly visually expressed that his particular action of going back delayed the Hideauze for long enough to allow his comrades to escape. This is a problem because if we can't tell whether our hero is helping people or not then it's a little hard to care about whether he succeeds or fails.

For example, what's going on here? I know that Ledo turned of his limited and activated maximum lazer-spam mode, but what does that accomplish? Does he kill stuff that helps save lives? Does he help slow the enemy down? It's really quite hard to say. In a particularly egregious sequence his lazers just appear to cause explosions rather than kill the enemy. I'm sure the enemy are supposed to getting blown up by this attack but they never actually bother drawing them in.

- The action itself is a mess of stuff exploding, camera's moving around, and lasers shooting at stuff. There's no sense of flow, of push and pull, of a serious battle taking place. There's no understandable geography. As we're never really told what's going on we can't tell how the battle is going and so this interferes with our ability to care about what is happening. Should we be excited that humanity is winning? Maybe, but we can't tell if they're winning or losing or what because this information isn't being shown.

Very occasionally you'll also see a HUD which clearly shows where all the units are supposed to be and what the battle formation looks like. Sadly rather than use this symbolic representation of the battle to help the audience understand the ebbs and flows of combat they instead opt to show you more lasers shooting at stuff. Legend of the Galactic heroes this is not.

Kagami

SAO basically empowers nerd fantasies to the point that it really is despicable. It's the equivalent of trying to trick people to smoke by having pretty models smoking cigarettes on those old ads. Never mind the fact that they cause cancer.

At least in every other harem, the dude has to talk to a physical girl in order to make her drop her pantsu on sight. In SAO, all that happens over their version of Xbox Live.
I expect the SAO audience is far more composed of children like RyougaSaotome's students than shut-in ultranerds in need of intervention.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They adapted a episode from hayate no gotoku straight from the manga ?

This was a so - so episode , however i can't help but feel sorry for everyone who is confused by this turn of events

So to compensate i'll explain a few things for people who haven't read the manga if they wish to follow this season.

That's certainly helpful!

cajunator

Banned
Finally caught up! (sorta)

Ooooooh myyyy g-

oooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Oh my. SDBurton is gonna explode.

Hey guys, what's anime?

What's a harem?

What defines a loli?

What is moe?

School Days
School Days
School Days
not School Days

Only good thing about SAO was Silica and Lisbest.

fixed for authenticity

Man. You guys. What the hell?

:(

I dunno. This thread went off the deep end suddenly.

Azumanga Daioh 2

Hiccups! And also volleyball! And detatchable Chiyo-chan pigtails! I love the way this show can go from completely mundane to utterly surreal in an instant. It's like a Japanese schoolgirl version of Ed Edd n Eddy.

This show started the whole cute girls doing cute things craze pretty much. but no show has really been able to reach its heights IMO. Except maybe K-On.

Sounds like a communist harem show.

Sharing is caring!

[Gargantia] - 1

While I've already posted some very rough initial impressions about this episode earlier I thought that I should put out something a little more substantial in the face of all the impressions that people have posted in the thread. Firstly, I wanted to disagree with one of the major criticisms that has been levelled at the first half of this episode: that it's loaded down with pointless technobabble.

There doesn't appear to be a broadly agreed definition of technobabble but all you really need to know is that it's a portmanteau of "technology" and "babble" because that really speaks for itself. When we're watching a show and characters are just spouting meaningless tech-related words back and forth to each other then we're suffering through a section of techonabble. Technobabble is generally bad because it's meaningless nonsense that usually attempting to disguise a writer solving a problem magically (Hey, how could you possibly fix that Warp Drive? Through the power of nonsensical words!) or because it's the writer attempting to disguise the fact that nothing much is going on. The writer is throwing a shroud over your eyes to distract from the fact that they're not being explicitly clear about what's going on.

Now, the opening to Gargantia is entirely told by characters who exist in an alien future setting that we know nothing about. This results in a variety of stretches of dialogue-types - exposition, normal dialogue and military dialogue.
Firstly, there's some straight forward exposition in the form of clearly biased speech that briefly establishes the setting and conflict. Then there's some more clunky exposition near the start of the fight where it's explained why they are attacking the enemy from the position that this one particular position. This may not be particularly subtle writing but neither is it pointless or unnecessarily obfuscating technonbabble.

Then there's some conversations that occur between characters before the fight which do a little bit to establish character - they aren't really bogged down with techonabble either.

Then there's the military operation where people are barking about commands and no-one is explaining anything. As such, a lot of the terms they throw around are meaningless to us because we really don't know what the heck they're talking about - what's a Klauserpass? Or a Telemocy Swing? I imagine that most of you take issue with these particular moments of the script and I can see why. However, they don't really bother me because they just appear to be fancy words for something that's fairly simple. A Telemocy Swing appears to be when you enter or exist a wormhole. A klauserpass missile appears to be some kind of big bomb, like a space nuke. It looks like he's just trying to spice the script up with some big words which doesn't actually make your script any clever, instead he's trying to add some character to the descriptions to that the setting feels more concrete. I don't think it's particularly effective but neither does it really qualify as an exercise in bad technobabble because the terms aren't pointless - they all clearly relate to something specific within the world of the show.

So, if we assume for a moment that the problems with the 'space' half of this episode aren't caused by bad technobabble then what is actual cause of the problem? I think it's actually pretty easy to pinpoint the problem: the battle sequence is a confusing and entirely unsatisfying mess that it's hard to care about.

So, there are a few key points to this battle, as far as I can tell:

- Humanity has laid all it's forces on the line and they must succeed. This is explicitly mentioned by Ledo's commanding officer. So we're immediately know that this is a really important fight. However we don't know anything about the nature of humanities conflict with the Hideauze. For example, are the Hideauze about to eradicate humanity? What's the balance of power like between the two factions? What will happen to humanity if are hero's cannot destroy the Hideauze nest? As none of this is laid out it's kind of hard to care whether our heroes win or lose because we don't actually know what's on the line. You can't just tell us it's important without saying it's important because x y and z. I think this is a major problem.

- The battle starts with the humans shooting a bunch of lasers and their super-weapon at the enemy plant-canon. Then in the middle of the battle something happens with people flying around and shooting lasers. A
t the end the plant-canon has regenerated from it's earlier-attack and wipes out a large portion of the human fleet, forcing the survivors to retreat.
Then Ledo decides to go showboating for reasons that are unclear. He says he's going to hold them back, but it's never clearly visually expressed that his particular action of going back delayed the Hideauze for long enough to allow his comrades to escape. This is a problem because if we can't tell whether our hero is helping people or not then it's a little hard to care about whether he succeeds or fails.

For example, what's going on here? I know that Ledo turned of his limited and activated maximum lazer-spam mode, but what does that accomplish? Does he kill stuff that helps save lives? Does he help slow the enemy down? It's really quite hard to say. In a particularly egregious sequence his lazers just appear to cause explosions rather than kill the enemy. I'm sure the enemy are supposed to getting blown up by this attack but they never actually bother drawing them in.

- The action itself is a mess of stuff exploding, camera's moving around, and lasers shooting at stuff. There's no sense of flow, of push and pull, of a serious battle taking place. There's no understandable geography. As we're never really told what's going on we can't tell how the battle is going and so this interferes with our ability to care about what is happening. Should we be excited that humanity is winning? Maybe, but we can't tell if they're winning or losing or what because this information isn't being shown.

Very occasionally you'll also see a HUD which clearly shows where all the units are supposed to be and what the battle formation looks like. Sadly rather than use this symbolic representation of the battle to help the audience understand the ebbs and flows of combat they instead opt to show you more lasers shooting at stuff. Legend of the Galactic heroes this is not.

You just did a review of the lamer part of the show. This show is great because it literally comes back down to Earth. All the technofuckery was to establish who the guy is and didnt really come across as that important. at least not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom