• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I think it's because Sword Art Online presents itself as something it isn't.

If you really believe that, then I think there's a high level of ignorance involved! :p

it did that while also snubbing the best three characters completely, pulling endings out of its ass, forcing the fakest relationship since star wars episode 2, and having extremely boring villains. thats just part one though.
luckily I cant tell you what part two was like.

What you described is exacty what I mean by the typical mediocre anime. Tons of shows are like that. Nothing new. :p

I just finished Tsuritama (no major feat, it's only 12 episodes) but I gotta say the whole experience was just sublime.

Who knew an anime about fishing could be so heartwarming and happy. I feel all fuzzy inside :D

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar Final 3

AWWW YEAH. Now this is how you do a coup d'etat, folks! GGG has decided that the UN can suck it and has blasted off into outer space to find Mamoru and also save the universe. Mr. Taiga approved Final Fusion with a GOLF CLUB KEY. Suck on that, Kingdom Hearts. Entouji spent most of the episode reasonably upset over the death of the love of his life at the hands of who he thought had been a friend. Renee continues to pretend she's a badass, but she's not Gai.

Dresden

Episode 2 made it pretty clear just what kind of a series it'd be - you've only yourselves to blame if you kept watching, and hated it.

I did watch up to ep7 but that was for lizbest, etc, etc.

it did that while also snubbing the best three characters completely, pulling endings out of its ass, forcing the fakest relationship since star wars episode 2, and having extremely boring villains. thats just part one though.
luckily I cant tell you what part two was like.

Let's be honest here, you wouldn't care if you liked the waifus more.

cajunator

Banned
I just finished Tsuritama (no major feat, it's only 12 episodes) but I gotta say the whole experience was just sublime.

Who knew an anime about fishing could be so heartwarming and happy. I feel all fuzzy inside :D

now this show on the other hand was just excellent.
fishing is a rarely explored subject in anime and Tsuritama made it as fun as possible.

Ultimadrago

For the record, I don't really think Sword Art Online is a particularly good show. I just don't see how it's any worse than the majority of mediocre pandering stuff which mostly defines the anime industry. It's a show about a boy who goes into a game and saves the girl. Big fucking deal. Boo hoo. It's not surprising that it's successful because it's easy to understand and it looks pretty cool.

Yep, yep, yep.

Also, I genuinely laughed hard through much of it (especially that part. You know, that part). Ironic/not ironic/sub ironic, I don't care.
Season 2 when A-1, Kawahara be praised and so on.

Nice! It indeed is a nicely done story of boys bonding over the open blue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Episode 2 made it pretty clear just what kind of a series it'd be - you've only yourselves to blame if you kept watching, and hated it.

#hatewatch.

duckroll knows, he finished The Newsroom.

jgminto

I don't get why people say the blacksmith chick and the dragon tamer were good characters. They were no better than any other female character on the show. Blacksmith girl fell in love with Kirito almost instantly and Dragon Tamer was a loli that got licked by giant tongues and also loved Kirito. They even had a thing at the end of the show proving they still love Kirito.

Only good characters were red haired dude who was in like 20 minutes of the entire show and the Fairy King because the delivery from Takehito Koyatsu was hilarious and over the top, which would have made the show more enjoyable if that was incorporated more.

cajunator

Banned

Let's be honest here, you wouldn't care if you liked the waifus more.

silica and lisbest were amazing and klein was cool.
the show just introduced fun characters and then neglected them for blank slate characters. it made the show tedious to watch.
I would loathe infinite stratos completely if charles didnt exist.
I would hate oreimo if manabi and kuroneko werent in it.
A character I like can save a terrible show for me.
SAO neglected the ones I liked.
its that simple.

Branduil

If you really believe that, then I think there's a high level of ignorance involved! :p

I think it definitely presents itself initially as a "serious dramatic story." Of course it soon becomes obvious what it really is.

Really it's hated for the same reasons that Twilight is hated in the west.

Defuser

I don't get why people say the blacksmith chick and the dragon tamer were good characters. They were no better than any other female character on the show. Blacksmith girl fell in love with Kirito almost instantly and Dragon Tamer was a loli that got licked by giant tongues and also loved Kirito. They even had a thing at the end of the show proving they still love Kirito.

Only good characters were red haired dude who was in like 20 minutes of the entire show and the Fairy King because the delivery from Takehito Koyatsu was hilarious and over the top, which would have made the show more enjoyable if that was incorporated more.

Lizbest forge for him one of the best swords ever. Asuna cheats by sandwiches.

Narag

I don't get why people say the blacksmith chick and the dragon tamer were good characters.

Small business owner, independent, accomplished. Just some ill advised feelings towards Kirito is all. Who could blame her either? Dude probably had the appropriate skill maxed out to win her over even accidentally.

silica and lisbest were amazing and klein was cool.
the show just introduced fun characters and then neglected them for blank slate characters. it made the show tedious to watch.
I would loathe infinite stratos completely if charles didnt exist.
I would hate oreimo if manabi and kuroneko werent in it.
A character I like can save a terrible show for me.
SAO neglected the ones I liked.
its that simple.

A lot of that is due to how it was adapted. One shot chars were from short stories in the second book to help better define the world early on. Going from 1-70whatever in 2-3 eps would have been terrible.

Defuser

as I was mentioning before, Suou is the only reason that I acknowledge that DTB2 exists.

AWr45QK.jpg

Bow down to your goddess.

jbug617

Banned

Great show. I think I had it as my best show last year.

Narag

YUYUSHIKI will be available to Crunchyroll’s in the following territories: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, and Scandinavia.

Just in case Jintor wonders.

duckroll

CR gonna get it?

They already did: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/08-1/crunchyroll-to-stream-yuyushiki-anime

“Yuzuko, Yui, and Yukari, three girls who just started high school in spring, are always together. After school, the three of them attend their own "Data Processing Club" with two computers and a whiteboard between them, searching for random words on Google and then discussing the results. Their day to day life is mostly uneventful, mainly only consisting of girls flirting, but for some reason it's difficult to tear one's eyes away from this new generation of high school girls' communication. Their cute, laid-back high school lives are defined by hanging out, club activities, and occasional hints of yuri. Au uneventful, good life - that is their "yuyushiki" (rule)”

CorvoSol

Azumanga Daioh 3

Something I really like that I noticed in this episode is the incredibly modest way in which the ladies, and most specifically, Ms. Yukari, dress. I've been watching a lot of mecha anime, and in that there's a tendency to always have the most fanservicey outfits you can get for women. Even when they're in standard military outfits, you have ladies spilling out everywhere.

By contrast, Ms. Yukari dresses, well, like a modest, normal school teacher. GRANTED Yukari isn't normal at all, but her wearing of conservative, long-sleeved shirts without massive cleavage windows or her adorable green jumper dress from this episode was a nice change of pace.

I don't mean to insinuate that women can't look sexy and be normal, or that all women ought to cover up, but I dunno, I feel like Yukari's utter lack of fanservice really makes her a more down-to-earth character.

But I'm mostly blowing this out of proportion myself. I just think Yukari has a nice, modest wardrobe, which is pretty uncommon in anime.

Moving past that, one of the things I liked about this anime when I was younger was the way you could kinda see your own circle of friends in the girls. I was definitely a Tomo growing up. Y'all?

Shergal

Michiko e Hatchin

Just finished it. To be honest, the show got progressively weaker starting by the second half, and many episodes were not very enjoyable. It did suffer very noticeable dips in production quality, and many key scenes in episodic entries were just hindered by poor draftsmanship and average direction. The stories themselves were highly inconsistent in quality, many were just plain bad like that one with that book and the androgynous boy, or the one about the tomatoes.

The 'main' plot of the show was handled pretty well though, the last two episodes were up to par and thematically fit with everything the show promised to deliver. I've seen some comments about the ending being bad, but I didn't even notice something people might take offence to! Really, it was just fine for me.
Hana becoming a single mother
neatly summarizes what the series had going for it, and the fact
we didn't get the token bittersweet ending with Michiko dying and stuff
was nice. I have to say that Hana's haircut and outfits at the end were pretty shit-tier, but her bad taste in fashion was a running theme of the show too :p

A problem I have with the latter half is how little good action we got. Most of the stuff had mediocre animation and choreography, I can't even remember a memorable action sequence off the top of my head. For a show that sells its action as a strong point in the premise and first couple of episodes, I thought it underperformed greatly. I don't even think the character designs lend themselves well to action, but the animators made it work (somewhat) in the early eps. Shame this wasn't the case for the rest of the run.

Overall, though, the show was quite interesting. For its great setting, some of the good episodic stories, and its refreshing take on the portrayal women, I'd say it was worthwhile.
I don't think I'd recommend it to people who aren't looking for something specifically like this, though.

One last thing: This shot at the very end was absolutely unnecessary and cheesy.

Azumanga Daioh 3

Something I really like that I noticed in this episode is the incredibly modest way in which the ladies, and most specifically, Ms. Yukari, dress. I've been watching a lot of mecha anime, and in that there's a tendency to always have the most fanservicey outfits you can get for women. Even when they're in standard military outfits, you have ladies spilling out everywhere.

By contrast, Ms. Yukari dresses, well, like a modest, normal school teacher. GRANTED Yukari isn't normal at all, but her wearing of conservative, long-sleeved shirts without massive cleavage windows or her adorable green jumper dress from this episode was a nice change of pace.

I don't mean to insinuate that women can't look sexy and be normal, or that all women ought to cover up, but I dunno, I feel like Yukari's utter lack of fanservice really makes her a more down-to-earth character.

But I'm mostly blowing this out of proportion myself. I just think Yukari has a nice, modest wardrobe, which is pretty uncommon in anime.

Moving past that, one of the things I liked about this anime when I was younger was the way you could kinda see your own circle of friends in the girls. I was definitely a Tomo growing up. Y'all?

The character designs themselves just aren't right for an excessive amount of fanservice. Which seems weird to say considering Hidamari Sketch has one dedicated fanservice character that seems to just work despite how innocent Ume Aoki's character design comes off as.

CorvoSol

The character designs themselves just aren't right for an excessive amount of fanservice. Which seems weird to say considering Hidamari Sketch has one dedicated fanservice character that seems to just work despite how innocent Ume Aoki's character design comes off as.

Sakaki and Yomi definitely have the potential for fanservice, though. Creepy as this is bound to sound, Yomi's socks must be some manner of fetish fuel.

Azumanga Daioh 3

It's what I like the most out of slice of life shows with how believable the characters interacting can be, and give me childhood nostalgia.

I was a Sakaki, only nobody thought I was cool.

Sakaki and Yomi definitely have the potential for fanservice, though. Creepy as this is bound to sound, Yomi's socks must be some manner of fetish fuel.

They're one of the characters in the show with actual sex appeal, but it would feel weird to have it in anything that aren't the pool/beach episodes.

And dude, Yomi's zettai ryouiki is one of the most popular/the greatest clothing fetishes. Not weird at all.

Michiko e Hatchin

Just finished it. To be honest, the show got progressively weaker starting by the second half, and many episodes were not very enjoyable. It did suffer very noticeable dips in production quality, and many key scenes in episodic entries were just hindered by poor draftsmanship and average direction. The stories themselves were highly inconsistent in quality, many were just plain bad like that one with that book and the androgynous boy, or the one about the tomatoes.

The 'main' plot of the show was handled pretty well though, the last two episodes were up to par and thematically fit with everything the show promised to deliver. I've seen some comments about the ending being bad, but I didn't even notice something people might take offence to! Really, it was just fine for me.
Hana becoming a single mother
neatly summarizes what the series had going for it, and the fact
we didn't get the token bittersweet ending with Michiko dying and stuff
was nice. I have to say that Hana's haircut and outfits at the end were pretty shit-tier, but her bad taste in fashion was a running theme of the show too :p

A problem I have with the latter half is how little good action we got. Most of the stuff had mediocre animation and choreography, I can't even remember a memorable action sequence off the top of my head. For a show that sells its action as a strong point in the premise and first couple of episodes, I thought it underperformed greatly. I don't even think the character designs lend themselves well to action, but the animators made it work (somewhat) in the early eps. Shame this wasn't the case for the rest of the run.

Overall, though, the show was quite interesting. For its great setting, some of the good episodic stories, and its refreshing take on the portrayal women, I'd say it was worthwhile.
I don't think I'd recommend it to people who aren't looking for something specifically like this, though.

One last thing: This shot at the very end was absolutely unnecessary and cheesy.

I liked the music. Story was so-so. The action was nice and vibrant.

Shergal

I can get behind how Aku no Hana looks (I really dislike it though), but I didn't get a feel for what the story will be. The pacing was sleep-inducing, and it seems like it will be some convoluted angsty deal.

cajunator

Banned

cant wait!

So ANN absolutely loves Aku no Hana, LOL.

whats not to like? aside from the art.

Zettai ryouiki is magical.
see Rin from fate stay night, Tamaki from Toheart, Yuna from Maburaho, Corticarte from Polyphonica...

It's what I like the most out of slice of life shows with how believable the characters interacting can be, and give me childhood nostalgia.

I was a Sakaki, only nobody thought I was cool.

I was...A poorer version of Chiyo.

CorvoSol

They're one of the characters in the show with actual sex appeal, but it would feel weird to have it in anything that aren't the pool/beach episodes.

And dude, Yomi's zettai ryouiki is one of the most popular/the greatest clothing fetishes. Not weird at all.

Yeah. I actually really dig the innocence of Azumanga. Like, GTO is amazing as all hell, but on the other hand, its nice to see people coping with mundane problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom