• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Sunrise needs to come out with another Gundam. I'm sick of all the subpar mecha shows going on right now. Sure some of them are good but they aren't Gundam!

Just avoid the disaster that was AGE and Sunrise should be fine.

It needs to be better than AGE, 00, and Destiny for me to care. 3 Gundams in a row have sucked like no other. Now that I'm branching into other mecha shows, its done nothing but illustrate to me how much the Gundam franchise sucks ass now.

It's a Riolu evolving into a Lucario mid-fight.

I'd say Ash never pulls that kind of BS, but I distinctly remember him using Pikachu to defeat an Onix and a Golem.

Jex

I guess my point is that the direction is designed to inspire certain feelings and that fails if I'm too distracted by how ugly the animation is and how bad the acting and lip-synching are. Nagahama doesn't get a pass for that just because the storyboards are nicely composed.

Well, I do believe that their goal was to create something ugly, which is why I feel it succeeds. Most of the weird choices in terms of the visuals seem to be deliberate, like how no one has a face when they're a certain distance from the camera but once they draw closer they get one. I assumed that was just a one off thing but it seems to be pretty consistent, so either they did it to save money (likely) or it's just another technique used to make the world feel uncomfortable. I guess it could be a happy meeting of both.

There's no excuse for the lip-synching crap though.

Ezalc

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 10

Ash is never allowed to win.

All you need to see to have this proven is the Sinnoh league. Ash was robbed from winning that shit and then him losing to the kid in the Unova one just makes it worse. Motherfucker didn't even have 6 pokemon goddamn.

Jex

Sakaki isn't the right answer to everything?

Broken Blade 3

Ugh, so, right up there with "1000 years old but body of a 12 year old" and "Your mom/sister is totally okay to bone because she's not your mom/sister, you just call her that," my new least favorite anime trope is "12 year old girl with the body of a 25 year old woman." Which explains in large part why I don't like the character of Cleo. Even if she did force Queen Sigyn to provide us all with another more or less fanservicey nude-scene. Rygart supposed that maybe something was done to Cleo, since she's an ace pilot 12 year old with an amazing bod, but then, this is Rygart, and he's about as idiot hero as this show can get.

That said, I REALLY liked the fights in this episode. Particularly when Rygart in his newly outfitted Delphine shows up, barreling at them ridiculously high speeds in heavy armor. It was nice to see the hero's mech treated as an implacable monster, since usually that's the villain's job. Cleo's scene was actually pretty ace, too, in spite of my dislike of her character.

[....]Still enjoying this show.
There's some awkward dissonance in this post!

CorvoSol

There's some awkward dissonance in this post!

Why? I don't like the stupid Cleo and Nike junk, and I have a tendency to talk more about what I like than what I don't, but I'm still enjoying it. Just not for those reasons.

The characters are kinda dumb and honestly the fan service ain't doin' it for me, but I'll be darned if the fights aren't hitting the spot.

Branduil

Well, I do believe that their goal was to create something ugly, which is why I feel it succeeds. Most of the weird choices in terms of the visuals seem to be deliberate, like how no one has a face when they're a certain distance from the camera but once they draw closer they get one.

There's no excuse for the lip-synching crap though.

I'm sure it's deliberate(and also a budget issue), I just don't feel like their intent matters. If it looks bad, it looks bad.

Jex

Do we need to do this agin?

Yes. Yes we do;

DpR0ySk.jpg

I mean for fucks sake, eyes don't go there. They don't!
What? Now you want to argue that the shows poorly made so badly that you've started going insane!

Jex

I'm sure it's deliberate(and also a budget issue), I just don't feel like their intent matters. If it looks bad, it looks bad.

Absolutely, although 'looks bad' is of course, subjective. For example, it doesn't bother me or hinder my enjoyment of the work at all but it's clearly an issue for many people. I would recommend that they didn't do some of things they did precisely because it puts so many people off.

Jex

Doesn't make it any less distracting when their faces just disappear. People wouldn't give normal anime a pass for not drawing faces so I don't see any reason to do so just because it's "arty."

Well, most people do tend to give most shows a pass for a variety of sins such as:

- Empty city streets that should be filled with people. Obviously drawing and animating hundreds of people is hard work so it makes sense not to do it. It's certainly less distracting than the alternatives which are:

- Draw crowds but have them be largely made of stills.

- Draw symbolic representations of people a la Penguindrum

- Still shots in general. Stills are extremely common in anime and they're obviously done for budget saving reasons. Nobody goes on and on about stills, despite the fact that they're fairly distract, because we've grown used to them.

The different, of course, is that Aku No Hana has so many different ugly things in it all at once.
It's noticeably shoddy and just another sign of difficulties with budget, production, whatever. The rotoscoping is undeniably poor all throughout, even accounting for intent, which in this case seems rather haphazard--there's no sign that the occasional facelessness has anything to do with some idea in mind.

I'm pretty sure that it is done deliberately (and for budget reasons) as mentioned above. It's not random.

It needs to be better than AGE, 00, and Destiny for me to care. 3 Gundams in a row have sucked like no other. Now that I'm branching into other mecha shows, its done nothing but illustrate to me how much the Gundam franchise sucks ass now.

Destiny was terrible but 00 was good imo. Then AGE ruined it. What mecha shows are you watching BTW? I would like to branch out past Gundam.

Branduil

Well, most people do tend to give most shows a pass for a variety of sins such as:

- Empty city streets that should be filled with people. Obviously drawing and animating hundreds of people is hard work so it makes sense not to do it. It's certainly less distracting than the alternatives which are:

- Still shots in general. Stills are extremely common in anime and they're obviously done for budget saving reasons. Nobody goes on and on about stills, despite the fact that they're fairly distract, because we've grown used to them.

The different, of course, is that Aku No Hana has so many different ugly things in it all at once.

Sure, but blatantly faceless characters is a little different from budget-saving still frames or cheaply drawn crowds(and we don't usually just give those things a pass, they still have to be done well for what they are. Hence why we're always making fun of the ugly CG crowds often used in anime these days).

And I think the still frames issue is an example of why using rotoscoping for this was a bad idea. Obviously, in most anime, when you have classroom full of people, most of them won't be animated. But the good thing is you can choose to pose and draw them in a way that won't distract from the main characters. But with Aku no Hana, they just had to choose a random frame from the background actors and trace over it, and the result is really distracting, goofy-looking, and bizarre, as it looks like the background characters are frozen in time.

Ezalc

I'd say Ash never pulls that kind of BS, but I distinctly remember him using Pikachu to defeat an Onix and a Golem.

Pokemon evolving mid fight have always been in the anime, this isn't anything new. Pikachu beating Onix only happened because he hit the sprinklers in the gym which gushed out water. Don't remember him beating a Golem, though him winning against Brock's geodude was bullshit.

Jex

aiura - 01

Yet another three minute 1.5 minute anime with lovely art; I guess Nakamura brought along Kaneko and others for the ride. Only eyesore was that ugly box-bus. Also feeling a vague stab of guilt for skipping out on Mouryou no Hako again.

You couldn't resist the siren song of girls doing stuff I see.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Gargantia looks like it'll be pretty good. You guys weren't kidding about the technobabble, show got better after that. The beginning was a colorful mess.

Boring robots too. Majestic Prince one ups it in that department.

CorvoSol

Destiny was terrible but 00 was good imo. Then AGE ruined it. What mecha shows are you watching BTW? I would like to branch out past Gundam.

I'm currently watching GaoGaiGar Final (I'd highly recommend GGG if you like Super Robot shows), Full Metal Panic! (My absolute favorite) and Broken Blade, which is a meh show with awesome fights.

My recommendations are:
Real Robots:
Martian Successor Nadesico
Full Metal Panic
Super Robots:
Eureka Seven
The Big O
Gurren Lagann (which I suspect you've already seen)
Rin-Ne no Lagrange.

Pokemon evolving mid fight have always been in the anime, this isn't anything new. Pikachu beating Onix only happened because he hit the sprinklers in the gym which gushed out water. Don't remember him beating a Golem, though him winning against Brock's geodude was bullshit.

He beats the Golem in the opening credits to the First Movie without any water at all. I can't find it, but it's massive BS.

The twins were my least favorite part of the show. So boring.

Ben-to - 10

I was thinking who they would fight since they
defetead the strongest Wolf of the east, Monarch.
The way the twins fight really is boring. =___=
But they are back to fighting, and this is better than the last episode.
Next,
is the hentai going to avenge the Ice witch?

CorvoSol

I see the waifu thread has finally blown up.

I blame Waifu Emblem. I never cared about Waifus until that game. Now I have to attend family functions knowing I picked the same Waifu as my brother.

We're talking about the man I name ALL rivals after in Pokemon. Now we've shared a waifu. I feel . . . sullied.

Kagami

drawing and animating hundreds of people is hard work so it makes sense not to do it. It's certainly less distracting than the alternatives which are:

Or the Glorious Future alternative:

ibxWXgaBeqjXOp.gif

cajunator

Banned
You couldn't resist the siren song of girls doing stuff I see.

Girls doing stuff can be so much FUN!

I'm currently watching GaoGaiGar Final (I'd highly recommend GGG if you like Super Robot shows), Full Metal Panic! (My absolute favorite) and Broken Blade, which is a meh show with awesome fights.

My recommendations are:
Real Robots:
Martian Successor Nadesico
Full Metal Panic
Super Robots:
Eureka Seven
The Big O
Gurren Lagann (which I suspect you've already seen)
Rin-Ne no Lagrange.

He beats the Golem in the opening credits to the First Movie without any water at all. I can't find it, but it's massive BS.

Kiddy Grade. Watch ittttt.

I see the waifu thread has finally blown up.

Mostly it just seems to be a bunch of people questioning why I'm 30 years old with a room like that.

CorvoSol

Girls doing stuff can be so much FUN!

Kiddy Grade. Watch ittttt.

Mostly it just seems to be a bunch of people questioning why I'm 30 years old with a room like that.

Kiddy Grade, huh? I dunno, maybe I'll put it on after GaoGaiGar. Trying to decide between that and Code Geass, which I am not a fan of the character designs in.

I blame Waifu Emblem. I never cared about Waifus until that game. Now I have to attend family functions knowing I picked the same Waifu as my brother.

We're talking about the man I name ALL rivals after in Pokemon. Now we've shared a waifu. I feel . . . sullied.

So, which character is it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nausicaa:

Basically serious business Laputa. Really good, although the dialogue was often heavyhanded. I guess this is an unfair complaint when it's so old and such a seminal work in the genre. In fact, most of its flaws can be explained away by citing its age. So what I'm saying, really, is that it didn't age perfectly.

Bonus:
Dissatisfied with Warriors of the Wind, Miyazaki suggested that people should put it "out of their minds."[5] Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki have asked fans to forget its existence and later adopted a strict "no-edits" clause for future foreign releases of its films. On hearing Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein would try to cut Princess Mononoke to make it more marketable, one of Studio Ghibli's producers sent an authentic katana with a simple message: "No cuts".

(Oh and they never explained how they got out from beneath the world.)

Ben-to - 11

Does Asebi have a reason to exist? I wonder.
Damn, Ice witch was cute with her cold. "Oh, for the love of God!"
What is Heracles secret combo and his relantionship with the twins?
Now the fight is on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The last two posters two posters after me need to play Dark Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom