• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
chickdigger. Asking all the tough questions.

i'm loading up for war.

iboitKrBAJzbw4.gif

iNOHRGIIQPwBo.gif

ibc0fZ8yYOvr8I.gif

CorvoSol

if korea goes to war... will anime pretty much be canceled?

My research paper will!

Full Metal Panic! 15

FUN FACT: This was the first episode of FMP I ever saw and I thought that Kaname was some kind of ghost or something because of that scene where she fades in and fades out. Anyway this is the start of the Winds of the Homeland Arc, which is the best arc in the first season. Unfortunately both SRW J and SRW W just dismiss it as Sousuke fighting Zaid on Dr. Hell's island, which doesn't do it much justice.

Anyway, it's awesome because Sousuke is given a team of mooks, Andy, Jackson, Batiste, Bill and Grey, and they don't want to listen, but once they encounter Gauron, they quickly begin singing a different toon.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Date A Live - 01

The whole premise is absolutely ridiculous, but here I am willing to watch another episode of it. Any reason why "clockface" girl is popular? Not familiar with this series at all so I wanted to know what she brings to the table before I possibly deem Tobiichi best girl.

Date A Live - 01

The whole premise is absolutely ridiculous, but here I am willing to watch another episode of it. Any reason why "clockface" girl is popular? Not familiar with this series at all so I wanted to know what she brings to the table before I possibly deem Tobiichi best girl.

I like her because she's the most attractive and apparently going to be voiced by Asami Sanada.

Yuyushiki 1 - What is this, exactly? I guess it's another one of those "nothing" shows. It's not really a comedy, because it's rarely funny, but it's not much of anything else either. It's just a show about three girls, two of whom are brain-dead idiots and one who is tsundere, and their not particularly interesting day at school and mild yuribaiting. Yeah, it was pretty boring... I may keep watching, I'm not sure, but not exactly exciting stuff, that's for sure. There was no plot to speak of, not all that much yuribait (it had a few good moments, but that's it), not much comedy... boring. I didn't come into this with all that much in the way of expectations, but it probably didn't meet them, whatever they were. With no plot and two very annoyingly stupid characters as 2/3rds of the main cast, this show isn't that great.

Sparrow's Hotel 1 - This 3-minute anime looks like a poorly drawn series from 10-15 years ago, except it has none of the quality that made some ugly-looking shows from back then good (like, obviously, Kanon 2003. Yes, I still love that show.). This one? It's just bland. Bland, average, and not particularly interesting. But on the other hand, it wasn't too bad, and there were a few amusing moments, and it is only three minutes, so there's not much of a time expenditure. As for the show, it's about a super-strong woman who might be an assassin or ex-mercenary or something who works at an otherwise normal hotel. It's vaguely amusing gag humor stuff, like her picking up the whole matress instead of taking off the sheet. Was it actually good, though? No, it wasn't.

Aiura 1 - 4 minute slice-of-life anime about three girls. Yeah, I guess three girls is the new four? Yuyushiki is also about three girls. As for the show, this episode was quite bland and generic, but it probably was the best of the three in this post... that's not saying a whole lot, but at least it was moderately interesting, I guess. Still though, Aiura is a very generic and bland slice-of-life "comedy" series about a group of girls, and it's got nothing really to distinguish it from the others, so far, other than the 4-minute episode length. This episode was about the girl who looks younger than her age. It was alright.

Overall, I miss Puchimas... but wait, finally there's a new Here Comes the Black Witch episode! Well, as of like a week or two ago, but I hadn't noticed.

Here Comes the Black Witch 26 - In this episode Choco learns time-forward and time-reverse spells... and then messes up and accidentally sets off a loop. So yeah, it's Choco in Groundhog Few Minutes, pretty much. :) The results are entertaining as ever. This really is a good, funny little 5 minute show... for anyone who hasn't, consider watching it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Aim For The Top! Gunbuster] 1 (Rewatch)
Fuck yeah, this is as good as I remember. It's been a while since I last watched it, so I forgot some details to be honest.
Noriko pulling off the Inazuma Kick in the first episode was great.
I mean, how can you hate on charismatic school-age girls persevering against adversity while delivering lots of boobage? Sure, Girls Und Panzer shows us that lolis getting into the roughness of heavy machinery has an allure, but back in the eighties the girls looked like girls and the machines were fucking giant robots. Anno may be a perv, but he knows where to hit my sensibilities. Just look at that
training montage
!
It wouldn't be Aim For The Top! without delicious throwbacks to Aim For The Ace!, and obviously that means copious amounts of Dezaki. From Noriko's budding admiration/love for her onee-sama, the NTR shenanigans, to Coachi being Coachi, this is some real melodramatic stuff. And I love it! It obviously takes a lot of shortcuts considering the short running-time, but the archetypes and how Anno lovingly brings them to life here are really fun.
It even does technobabble right! Take that, Urobuchi!

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Everyone Acts Like a Whiny Bitch Zeta Gundam 14

OH GEEZ. WELL HELLO THAR NOT-SEYLA MASS. YOU ARE HERE TO HAVE ALREADY SPECIAL CONNEXIONS WITH AMURO AND ALSO CHAR? BUT YOU'RE NOT SEYLA MASS? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Oh, and like, the rest of this episode is everyone whining it up at everyone else. Katz. Kamille. Amuro. WHINERS.

If it wasn't for Char all these hormones would sink the Garuda. Oh and there's some super clingy "Cyber" NewType who seems to be the basis for Anew Returner. Let's hope she doesn't suck major like Anew did.

I can't remember anyone's name but Peterhausen's in Demon King Daimao.

Green > Yellow > Blue > Purple > Red

Uh... yeah, I don't think I can remember any of them offhand either. I'm not very good with names...

Anyway... hmm. Yellow > Blue > Red > Green > Purple, I think, for me.

Of course though everyone's favorite "remember by other term" one has to be...

France > everyone.

Instro

I think videogames will be okay, since they're released in stores. TV anime will probably be totally fucked because all the late night stuff will be preempted for ongoing news reports instead about the regional situation.

Maybe they can present the news in animated form, everyone wins!

Problem is that the 'training arc' was like 1min long lol. Biggest problems iwth the movies is that Nanoha isn't really developed into anything.

Still fun stuff.

I think the most characterization Nanoha really got was in StrikerS of all things; more ironically, via flashbacks.

And StrikerS probably isn't going to be adapted into a movie(we know movie 3 will be original material)... which is also probably a good thing, because I really can't see how a movie-condensed StrikerS would be any good beyond watching explosions.

(Maybe if they decided to overwrite canon like they did with the Zeta movies? I enjoyed a lot of StrikerS, but there's also a lot of it I would love to see rewritten, or erased...)

I think the most characterization Nanoha really got was in StrikerS of all things; more ironically, via flashbacks.

And StrikerS probably isn't going to be adapted into a movie(we know movie 3 will be original material)... which is also probably a good thing, because I really can't see how a movie-condensed StrikerS would be any good beyond watching explosions.

(Maybe if they decided to overwrite canon like they did with the Zeta movies? I enjoyed a lot of StrikerS, but there's also a lot of it I would love to see rewritten, or erased...)

What they should do is abandon StrikerS, Vivid, and Force, (ESPECIALLY THAT LAST ONE!!), and instead write a new series which doesn't ruin Nanoha by making her get injured before it starts and is unable to use her awesome powers much anymore. Make something actually great instead, like both of the movies are, the second one especially! That would be fantastic. I doubt they'll do it... but they should. (The first half of the first movie was only decent, but the first movies' second half, and the second movie start to end, are quite good.)

What they should do is abandon StrikerS, Vivid, and Force, (ESPECIALLY THAT LAST ONE!!), and instead write a new series which doesn't ruin Nanoha by making her get injured before it starts and is unable to use her awesome powers much anymore. Make something actually great instead, like both of the movies are! That would be fantastic. I doubt they'll do it... but they should.

Movie 3 is original storyline, it could still happen!

Sunrise needs to come out with another Gundam. I'm sick of all the subpar mecha shows going on right now. Sure some of them are good but they aren't Gundam!

Just avoid the disaster that was AGE and Sunrise should be fine.

Ben-to - 07

Pool episode.
Damn it, Ice witch!
Omoppai bentou. lol
All the names have a lame story. I expect the opening to change the main character to hentai.

What they should do is abandon StrikerS, Vivid, and Force, (ESPECIALLY THAT LAST ONE!!), and instead write a new series which doesn't ruin Nanoha by making her get injured before it starts and is unable to use her awesome powers much anymore. Make something actually great instead, like both of the movies are! That would be fantastic. I doubt they'll do it... but they should.

Yeah... the franchise started fraying pretty hard at the seams when StrikerS went out, but Vivid and Force extend that into a hot mess. Force especially reads like fanfiction--well, to the degree that it makes the plots preceding it look like works of Shakespeare.

I liked a fair bit about StrikerS... Subaru and Teana were actually a decent, well-developed combination, for example. I thought about 4-5 of the 12 Numbers were pretty interesting to watch, Jail was a scale-fitting villain for the scope of the plot, and in terms of big-picture-pacing it was surprisingly coherent for all the shit it tried to juggle.

What I don't like about StrikerS is like a laundry list so let's not go there. lol.

If Movie 3 decides to overwrite existing canon, I hope Subaru at least somehow survives the purge. Maybe Agito and Teana too.

Dresden

aiura - 01

Yet another three minute 1.5 minute anime with lovely art; I guess Nakamura brought along Kaneko and others for the ride. Only eyesore was that ugly box-bus. Also feeling a vague stab of guilt for skipping out on Mouryou no Hako again.

Alternate older Nanoha who isn't injured and weak (most of the time) would be fantastic. They should make that.

As long as it felt like Nanoha, as in fighting other mages just as strong as they are and not some shitty minions/robots, I don't care what age of Nanoha does it. Honestly I hope it's set in the StrikerS universe since I'd love to see Subaru in HD.

CorvoSol

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 10

Ash is never allowed to win.

Is that a crystal Lucario? What kind of hijinks are those?

GaoGaiGar Final 5

There was a lot of creepy fanservice in this episode. As in "Hey here's Swan White totally and completely naked! She's unconscious from alien space roofies." "Here's Renee totally naked! She's being horribly tortured by an alien and remembering the time Bionet horribly tortured her as a child!" "Here's some booty and almost full frontal nudity! On an alien half-bee!" "Papillon's shirt is all ripped off! Because she was assaulted by an alien grim reaper."

Except I don't consider Papillon fanservice because she has a creepy ass face and also I'm still not over the fact that they took the one dark skinned lady and made her WHITE. For no reason. Weirdest come-back from the dead ever.

This episode starts with
Gai dying
so it's kind of an indication of how royally effed our heroes are. The plus side is that Mikoto finally gets to be badass for once in her life.

Articalys

As much as I love Porco Rosso, my first thought was "well, one more step towards Totoro and Mononoke blu-rays".
Totoro has been out on BD everywhere but the US for a while, and it's coming here at the end of May. Everyone's still waiting on Princess Mononoke though.

Dammit, I forgot how the US gets treated like shit when it comes to timely Ghibli BDs thanks to Disney.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Nausicaa

An alright film, highlights were the gorgeous flying machines and Anno doing Anno things. Too much dissonance in terms of character portrayal for me to really enjoy it though.

cajunator

Banned
Totoro has been out on BD everywhere but the US for a while, and it's coming here at the end of May. Everyone's still waiting on Princess Mononoke though.

Dammit, I forgot how the US gets treated like shit when it comes to timely Ghibli BDs thanks to Disney.

Oh man. Princess Monoke HD. Cannot fucking wait for that!
The parts with bloodworms might get a bit squick though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom