• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% 02

ErZtqK9.jpg
0EDdrnb.jpg

hO4Mlkl.jpg
qpy4FTX.jpg

Reverse harem force assemble! Cause, Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome is here to take your princess away!

They really upped the crazy harem antics this episode and it was a lot of fun. Even if it does feel that fish eye moe is just being dragged along here while any of her potential boyfriends is protecting her, it was still silly to see it all happen. Wakamoto is hamming it up which makes it even more better. I wouldn't mind if this season was basically idol training games as that would be fun.

I am also looking forward to the new songs!

wonzo

Banned
It's one thing to bring bad shit on yourself. It's another when another person just creates an environment that is possibly toxic and promotes stupid behavior which I feel is what wonzo is doing. I won't speak on your behalf though.
Ahh, but you misunderstand kayos90. I'm doing this not out of hatred or anything demeaning, but purely out of love. The only way for Articalys to come over the issues that he himself acknowledges is to slowly confront him with them until he is no longer held back by these chains, these past sins. I confront him with these simple truths so he may repent and be truly free. That is all I yearn for!

"Why?" you may ask, and again I shall simply answer:

LOVEYOU.jpg

Branduil

Ahh, but you misunderstand kayos90. I'm doing this not out of hatred or anything demeaning, but purely out of love. The only way for Articalys to come over the issues that he himself acknowledges is to slowly confront him with them until he is no longer held back by these chains, these past sins. I confront him with these simple truths so he may repent and be truly free. That is all I yearn for!

"Why?" you may ask., and again I shall simply answer:

LOVEYOU.jpg

You're no Chris.

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? - 12 END

This episode was stupid.
That fucking CG audience!
Lots of stills and poor animation, I think they blew the budget,
did they even have one?

Jex

I hate Manglobe for what they did to Deadman Wonderland.

I hate Manglobe for animating Deadman Wonderland, which is the reason that I watched the first episode, which is the reason that I now have to see a therapist. Fuck that piece of shit.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I hate Manglobe for animating Deadman Wonderland, which is the reason that I watched the first episode, which is the reason that I now have to see a therapist. Fuck that piece of shit.

I don't think I've ever seen you respond in such a way. I'm shocked.

yami4ct

Could not agree more. So much of that show really bothered me on a deep level. It wasn't fun, it was just awful to watch. I still ended up seeing the whole thing and hate myself for it.

Jex

Gundam ZZ-1

This was the worst first episode I've seen in my life. No hyperbole or exaggeration.

We have a poorly directed recap with smatterings of new info sprinkled somewhere and a Char's Mobile Suit quiz randomly thrown in that takes up like three minutes.

Yep. It only gets worse. Then it gets better, but by then it's too late. Bail out now!

This is hilarious to me, as I finally watched all of Z last year. After finishing I jumped to ZZ, and only made it four episodes before I quit. The tone shift just made me so angry, the opening was awful and the animation/art quality took a nosedive into shit land.

Plus the first episode being a ridiculous recap just infuriated me. Good luck sir. GOOD LUCK.

You have to be a true hero like ghostlightning to marathon the whole thing.

For reference, I'm no hero. I dropped it almost immediately.
Oh for fucks sake at the opening song for Gundam ZZ.
What, you got a problem with Anime ja nai?
Speaking of Toonamigaf

Insular butts!

If thinking that Deadman Wonderland, Magi and SAO are bad makes me insular somehow then I'm happy to accept that label. Although I prefer to think of it as having standards.
It was probably Macross Plus.

It could have been Do You Remember Love?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So ToonamiGAF are responsible for my plans to get SAO to number one in last years AOTY awards failing. Why are they so slow? I hope they stick with it!

zeroshiki

So ToonamiGAF are responsible for my plans to get SAO to number one in last years AOTY awards failing. Why are they so slow? I hope they stick with it!

The very vocal anti-SAO campaign within AnimeGAF would have drowned it out. Plus it was up against Hyouka.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Psh. I want Fate/Zero to be on Toonami. I await the day. I will rule that fucking thread with a damn ironfist.

JCG

Macross aside, though, what else is there worth watching?

Following the previous recommendations, Escaflowne is a good pick...although I don't know if you'll like having a female protagonist plus a lot of focus on shoujo romance and its typical conventions, which can be irritating when that's not your cup of tea. The ending is also fairly controversial.

Dresden

rurouni kenshin: trust & betrayal - 1

It's always nice when something not only lives up to your memories, but exceeds them.

Striking stuff--such dense, evocative use of shadows; it's seen all throughout the episode, often highlighting some interpersonal conflict, with the most noticeable, probably, that of the conversation between Kenshin and his master, when the shadow cast by the tree upon which he practiced both connects and splits them. It's such a nice bit of framing--it's the fork, if you will, one of the many Kenshin had to choose on his way to becoming the lovable fool of the regular manga/tv show, and you see just how the boy is struck by this sudden sense of possibilities, this spreading web of prospects; it's really capable stuff, all delivered without exposition.

The episode as a whole is characterized by the polarities between light and shadow, and the oppressive mood is broken up by sudden spurts of violence, each beginning and ending with a punchy, breathless tempo. All of them lovingly animated with creative storyboarding, with such lovely gore and the tearing/breaking of flesh and bone.

The flashbacks and the present-day horrors are all nestled together for Kenshin, and they unfold one after another as the Kenshin of the past and the present struggle to hold together. It's a nice reminder of how dissociative the boy is becoming, or as Katsura mentions, the two sides within him in conflict, the killer and the boy, truth and ideal.

Man, so good.

zeroshiki

I watch Tsuiokuhen maybe once a year. And as I've gotten older, I find that I appreciate its visuals and "dark" storytelling more and more.

At first I was kinda upset that it didn't have the look of the TV series but eventually I've come to prefer this style. Its a very adult OVA and took what was already a great property and elevated it way waaay up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The very vocal anti-SAO campaign within AnimeGAF would have drowned it out. Plus it was up against Kill Me Baby.
You think others would care what we have to say about it? I openly mocked it in the OT and people just dismissed what I had to say. The problem is OTs die after a while so I had no easy podium to convince others to vote for it from.

Dresden

I watch Tsuiokuhen maybe once a year. And as I've gotten older, I find that I appreciate its visuals and "dark" storytelling more and more.

At first I was kinda upset that it didn't have the look of the TV series but eventually I've come to prefer this style. Its a very adult OVA and took what was already a great property and elevated it way waaay up.

Yeah, it's just a total elevation of the source material. I like Kenshin, but Tsuiokuhen is just . . . it's when Deen was good. Goddamn.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 17

This is the end of the Winds of the Homeland arc, and it is DEPRESSING.
Sagara's unit is brutally murdered by Gauron, and he's forced to kill childhood friend, Zaid.
It really establishes Gauron as the big ol' threat and monster extraordinaire.

Zaid mentions at least twice that he wants to play for the winning team to Gauron.
This is a reference to Amalgam, the villains of the FMPverse, of which Gauron is the honorable Mr. Iron (Fe). So chosen because it cannot, actually, become an Amalgam.

In any case, the episode ends with a cute scene where clearly PTSD'd Sousuke slouches down next to Kaname and she asks him to say something. Cue the catchphrase: "It's not a problem."

Just a heads up guys if you haven't been told, Yamaguchi Noboru, author of Zero's Familiar and Green Green, has passed away at the age of 41.

zeroshiki

Yeah, it's just a total elevation of the source material. I like Kenshin, but Tsuiokuhen is just . . . it's when Deen was good. Goddamn.

Whoever came up with the idea to take a small portion of an arc in the manga (it was, what, 2 vols max?) and turn it into a serious OVA with super production values is a goddamn genius.

The manga is not that violent. Manglobe certainly played it up to an extent.

Eh, I don't know about that. The manga is definitely gorier at least. You actually see entrails and shit in the manga.

Also, Jex only saw episode 1, which IIRC was mostly a straight adaptation of the manga minus a minor backstory change.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There was a strong campaign for Kill Me Baby this year and YuruYuri last year. Its not impossible :p

Within this thread. Well gee that's hard(!) I'm talking about trying to get those outside of the thread to even bother voting. And you know how hard that is when even the smallest mention of anime causes people to explode with pure hatred.

Jarmel

Banned
Eh, I don't know about that. The manga is definitely gorier at least. You actually see entrails and shit in the manga.

Also, Jex only saw episode 1, which IIRC was mostly a straight adaptation of the manga minus a minor backstory change.

I just went through the manga and it really isn't that bad. There are like three or four scenes that are particularly gory in the first few chapters. The death race also seemed much more violent in the anime.

zeroshiki

Within this thread. Well gee that's hard(!) I'm talking about trying to get those outside of the thread to even bother voting. And you know how hard that is when even the smallest mention of anime causes people to explode with pure hatred.

Well you know how to do it next year. Infiltrate the "other anime thread" and get them to vote your will :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom