• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

MSZG 17

OH GOD IRMA YOU'RE SUCH A BITCH. QUIT TRYING TO TAKE KAMILLE'S GUNDAM AWAY FROM HIM AND GIVING IT TO AMURO. UGH WHY CAN'T YOU BE SEYLA?

In this episode we're introduced to Four and the Psycho Gundam. These Cyber Newtypes are apparently the basis for the Extendeds and Innovatdoadoarass in SEED and 00 respectively. The Psycho Gundam is not so different from Destiny's Destroy Gundam. The battle was also reminiscent of the Behemoth Arc in FMP, in which a modified human pilots a larger than average mobile suit.

OH GOSH IRMA YEAH WHY NOT PRY INTO MIRAI'S LIFE AND JUDGE HER? Seriously, for as twerpy as Kamille is, he's just a twerp. Beltachika Irma is legit an awful character.

sonicmj1

Toradora 21

Everything I love and hate about this show in one episode. I like the characters, and I think the show sometimes does a great job of expressing its various forms of adolescent confusion and angst, but then it keeps sabotaging these moments with contrived outside bullshit that instantly destroys my suspension of disbelief.

I know this show has some passionate defenders, so I'm going to express myself in spoilers so I can fully explain where I'm coming from.

This episode is largely about building up a conflict between Ami and Minori, because Ami is as pissed as I am that Minori continues to hurt Ryuuji while trying to pretend she isn't doing anything. So even when the show was stuffing everyone into a closet just to have an excuse to give Ryuuji/us a view of this drama, I was invested. That boiled over into a pretty contrived fight, but I was still onboard because sometimes teenagers are dumb and it seemed like it'd hopefully lead to some explanations that they'd been teasing for ages about Minori's issues.

But then her hairclip flies off, Taiga runs after it, and I completely stop caring. It's contrived in the worst way. I can even make a list.

- Why was the hairclip in an open pocket? They're skiing, Minori has no reason to have it in an accessible pocket, and she would be wearing layers underneath her rented ski jacket that could hold it. Like the PE windbreaker she was wearing when she showed it to us in the first place.
- How the hell does a hairclip fly five million feet over the barrier and deep into the forest? It's a hairclip in the snow. Wind wouldn't do shit to it and it'd just hit the snow and stop. And be shiny and easy to find.
- Why would Taiga ride her sled down the slope? Why wouldn't she just walk?
- You're telling me nobody noticed the giant goddamn hole she put through the barrier right next to where everyone last saw her? Ryuuji noticed pretty quickly when she wasn't around. That hole in the fence is the first thing the characters would see. But nobody notices it for hours, including the rescue staff sent to find her.
- Taiga is found motionless where she fell, not far from the fence. A significant amount of time has passed since she crashed. She's bleeding from the head. This is a huge problem.
- Ryuuji doesn't call out to his friends when he finds Taiga, and moves someone who could very easily have a neck injury in order to give her a piggyback ride. Realistically, he probably made her a paraplegic with that move. I guess now he can take care of her forever just like he secretly wants.
- Even if Taiga is now suffering from serious brain damage, why would she confuse Ryuuji with Kitamura, if she was expecting to be rescued by Ryuuji?
- ... This is how you tell Ryuuji that Taiga is in love with him? This was the only thing you could think of?

I guess this is the only way you can spring unexpected revelations on a character completely unable to put two and two together when it comes to emotional problems. But all the contrivances and thin logic make it impossible for me to take the show's dramatic intentions seriously.

It's part of a pattern going back to the culture festival (where the events with Taiga's father weren't enough, they had to create circumstances so Ryuuji could win a race for her heart or something) or Kitamura's saga with the student council president (where he makes up his mind, but there's only one minute before the deadline omg). Toradora has interesting characters, and it should have more faith that they're interesting enough to watch without pulling some shit out of the air.

Well, I'm not that far from the ending, so I'll try to finish it this weekend or something.

Ami is the best girl, because somehow even when she's being incredibly passive-aggressive she's still the most honest person in Ryuuji's life.

Theonik

For 7th:
http://i.minus.com/iLOtWp9rPpSq9.jpg
Precure antagonist chick drawn by everyone's favorite artist, Yuji Himukai.
[REDACTED]

What is this ?
Is that a helmet ? Who did this design ? Who the heck is responsible ?
Does he need a light or a head torch built in the cloth ? is this an april fool joke ?
Maybe it's a camera like on Gundam.

Oh for fucks sake at the opening song for Gundam ZZ.
Just remember that this isn't anime.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! stuff

I'm one of the passionate defenders you spoke of, so in light of that, I'll say this:
That whole ski trip thing was absolutely the worst part of the show for me. I agree with pretty much everything you said about it. It's seriously some contrived bullshit for drama's sake, and it honestly isn't done very well at all. And you're right, the show does have the tendency to do stuff like this for the sake of moving the plot along, when it could honestly have just stuck to something a bit more realistic and gotten the message across just fine. It's like, my other big problem with the show is how it often relies on drama by way of lack of communication. ESPECIALLY between Minori and Ryuji. But as I said the first time I addressed this a while back, this seems to be something that's prevalent in a lot of Japanese drama, animated or otherwise.

All in all, I suppose I see Toradora! as something that is far more than the sum of its parts. It's got problems, it absolutely does (and I still need to read the LNs to see just how many of these problems were solely the anime adaptation's fault and how many of them were present in the source material). But in light of that, I feel that it still tells an amazing love story. It just stumbles along the way at times.

wonzo

Banned
akibaranger12.jpg
akibaranger12a.jpg

IT'S TIME

Hajime no Ippo 74

Ippo vs Sendo fight II round 6, will write a review for the final episode but just wanted to share the fight is reaching its climax! You know, both fighters refuse to give up as emotional song plays...

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar Final 7

So I have noticed that, as the whole GGG series progresses, things have kinda gotten a lot scarier and darker. That said, seeing the return of the Mobile Unit was freaking awesome. There's something that has remained sweet, innocent and even wholesome about much of this show, and it's hard to hate it. That True Heroes with Courage will always conquer evil and save lives is an encouraging thought and message, even if some would disparage it as cliche. In fact, you might almost see this show as a struggle between the innocent and idealistic Braves and the increasingly terrifying and cynical Zonders, Primevals, and Soul Masters.

Jintor

I'm one of the passionate defenders you spoke of, so in light of that, I'll say this:
That whole ski trip thing was absolutely the worst part of the show for me. I agree with pretty much everything you said about it. It's seriously some contrived bullshit for drama's sake, and it honestly isn't done very well at all. And you're right, the show does have the tendency to do stuff like this for the sake of moving the plot along, when it could honestly have just stuck to something a bit more realistic and gotten the message across just fine. It's like, my other big problem with the show is how it often relies on drama by way of lack of communication. ESPECIALLY between Minori and Ryuji. But as I said the first time I addressed this a while back, this seems to be something that's prevalent in a lot of Japanese drama, animated or otherwise.

All in all, I suppose I see Toradora! as something that is far more than the sum of its parts. It's got problems, it absolutely does (and I still need to read the LNs to see just how many of these problems were solely the anime adaptation's fault and how many of them were present in the source material). But in light of that, I feel that it still tells an amazing love story. It just stumbles along the way at times.

yeah pretty much

I just accepted the whole thing basically. I saw no reason to question my own suspension of disbelief at the time and see no reason to retroactively do so now, either. That might be somewhat uncritical but I think, on the whole, I don't particularly want to critique Toradora!. That said, if I were to critique it, I'd pretty much say what you're both saying

How can I put it? I bought into the show enough and that event wasn't jarring enough to shock me out of it.

Kazzy

Toradora 21

Everything I love and hate about this show in one episode. I like the characters, and I think the show sometimes does a great job of expressing its various forms of adolescent confusion and angst, but then it keeps sabotaging these moments with contrived outside bullshit that instantly destroys my suspension of disbelief. .

Yep, I pretty much agree with everything that is being said (ending spoilers) . At a point, the show seems content to exist within those plot contrivances, with robs the characters of any real agency. It just means that we are left to watch them react to these, and in a way which renders them as caricatures.

For something that is ostensibly built around portraying this romance, its hard to accept just how unsatisfyingly it predicates all of that.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
yeah pretty much

I just accepted the whole thing basically. I saw no reason to question my own suspension of disbelief at the time and see no reason to retroactively do so now, either. That might be somewhat uncritical but I think, on the whole, I don't particularly want to critique Toradora!. That said, if I were to critique it, I'd pretty much say what you're both saying

How can I put it? I bought into the show enough and that event wasn't jarring enough to shock me out of it.

Agreed. I've only come to realize some of the criticisms I have with the show in the time since I watched it. But none of those criticisms are enough to really lower my opinion of the show. Like I said, it's a show that I consider to be more than the sum of its parts.

Jintor

To turn the question around a little, do you [Sonic and Watanabe] ever feel immersed enough in a show where you don't actually bother to critique it? Like, the way I consume media I feel, I just watch it, let it wash over me and see what kind of 'vibe' I get out of it, and then afterwards I'll watch it again if I feel like it to see why I felt that vibe and try and quantify or justify my reaction. Some stuff holds up under scrutiny, others don't, but that initial first impression is the thing I value the most when watching something - especially because I value the first-time viewing reaction far more than rewatchability, message, themes etc. So I was wondering if this was the way everybody else watches shows, or if you're consciously critiquing even as you watch a show for the first time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
To turn the question around a little, do you [Sonic and Watanabe] ever feel immersed enough in a show where you don't actually bother to critique it? Like, the way I consume media I feel, I just watch it, let it wash over me and see what kind of 'vibe' I get out of it, and then afterwards I'll watch it again if I feel like it to see why I felt that vibe and try and quantify or justify my reaction. Some stuff holds up under scrutiny, others don't, but that initial first impression is the thing I value the most when watching something - especially because I value the first-time viewing reaction far more than rewatchability, message, themes etc. So I was wondering if this was the way everybody else watches shows, or if you're consciously critiquing even as you watch a show for the first time.

It's absolutely how I watch shows. Like in the case of Toradora!, I just loved the characters and "feel" of the show so much that I really wasn't very critical of it. I was too busy rooting for Ryuji and Taiga (seriously, go back and read my impressions, :lol) to think about story inconsistencies and plot contrivances. Like I said, I've only come to realize some of the problems with the show in the time since I watched it. I've rated it a 10 on my MAL, and I'll always stand by that. Because in spite of any problems, in the end, Toradora! gives me feels like no other anime ever has.

Jintor

I had an experience I can only describe as 'transcendent' at the end of Planates that topped it.

And I think Bebop is way better crafted, although it's not really a show that lets you invest in a character so much as it... hmmm... well, you relate to its cast differently, I think.

sonicmj1

It happens. My personal soft spot is for hot-blooded things. There were some really silly plot twists and character heel/face turns in Giant Robo, but it's also in service of a universe that's already so outlandish that I'd accept almost anything, as long as it furthers the fighting and triumph of the spirit and stuff like that. There's probably stuff in Girls und Panzer you could take the same way.

I agree that if something didn't strike me as odd as it was happening, then it probably wasn't that important to criticize. I'm not interested in tearing down something I enjoyed in the moment, because if I could enjoy it that way, it was probably doing something right. With Toradora, I may not have known all the reasons why initially, but the things I'm mentioning struck me as they occurred as contrived and ridiculous. They kept me from enjoying it the first time through, and that's why I'm so hard on them in my impressions.

The line between "improbably dramatic" and "contrived" is different for each person, but Toradora keeps landing on the wrong side for me.

EDIT: Reading cajun's post, I'm reminded that Steins;Gate didn't bother me at all.

wonzo

Banned
AKIBARANGER S2 1

The first third was a mix of flashbacks with new stuff and the rest was pretty much entirely new "flashbacks" to fill in the story up till now. Pretty fun stuff!

I'm gonna
miss the old Blue ranger but I'm sure they'll find a good enough replacement. also dat :shyamalan ending

cajunator

Banned
Nice question ..

From Worse to best

1-yes precure
What does dream, rouge , lemonade, mint and aqua have in common ?They are all variants of cocktails but i'm not sure that what the "Yes" is for

6-dokidoki precure
Card theme , easy to understand if you've played cards in your life

7-suite precure
Theme on music , easy to pick and understand

8-futari wa precure
Duality of theming ( light + dark ) .. then they added shining so it's simple and effective

I'm taking into account only the names not their usefullness as a character.

From what I heave read up on the Precures, I think the first season and doki doki are probably the best in keeping with a theme, but the names always just seemed silly and contrived anyway. Like naming a character cure Lemonade.. what?

The way some of you folks talk about Precure, even I'm a bit curious.

Is it actually any good? And if so, is there a good place to start from that won't make me hate the franchise? I've been trying to watch stuff outside of my safety zone these days.

Precure is pretty good. the first season is enjoyable on a shallow level and feels like Sailor Moon a bit. Its a pretty simple straightforward by the numbers mahou shoujo. Heartcatch is probably the one that goes the deepest into the characters and story, as many peoples impressions have led to believe. Heartcatch and Smile are worth your time if you want to watch any of them.

Macross aside, though, what else is there worth watching?

Kiddy Grade.....

Does Mai Hime count as mecha to you?

Have you watched Escaflowne?

And these.

Great OST.

Yes Mai Hime had an AWESOME soundtrack.

Psh. I want Fate/Zero to be on Toonami. I await the day. I will rule that fucking thread with a damn ironfist.

Will that be your ultimate power level?

Yes. I just finished rewatching Steins;Gate since my friend hadn't seen it and he was overall pretty impressed with it, but the plotholes were a bit ore obvious this time. Still I think its one of my favorite series now and Makise Kurisu is an absolutely god tier character to me. We also finished the show by watching the Omake episode, which I hadn't previously, and it tied up a couple loose ends in the most heartwarming and hnnngh inducing way possible. Kurisu is the absolute best kind of tsundere. she's a lot more subtle than Rie's in your face style, and doesn't abuse Okabe. she's just sturborn and the chemistry between them is absolutely PERFECT. I havent enjoyed character interactions in a show like that in a while. That show just impresses more each time I watch it, despite its flaws.

BluWacky

I immediately go into everything with a "critical" hat on. That's not to say I don't want to have an emotional reaction to something, but with any entertainment I want something that engages my brain in some way. I don't know if that's the same thing as your "immediate first impression", though.

For instance, back in 2003 or whenever it was I was super-hyped for Honey and Clover - first ever noitaminA show and all that (I knew next to nothing about the manga). As you may know, the show opens with the wheel of Takemoto's bike spinning as he monologues over it. That immediately caught my attention - not just because of the manipulatively emotional music that plays over the scene, but the combination of the dialogue and the visual metaphor engaged my brain and my heart at the same time, and I spent the rest of the episode thinking about all the ways that the direction and writing were more interesting than many other shows etc.

If the show has lots of interesting things going on in it either technically or narratively then I get increasingly thoughtful about it. If a show is bad, then quite often I get more critical of it as I try and pinpoint exactly what I don't like - because that makes it interesting enough for me to watch for the whole 22 minutes or whatever, rather than switching off and doing something else (which may be more constructive, but whatever...)

I'm not very good at "turning my brain off", whether it's for silly comedies or for wallowing in the atmosphere of iyashikei stuff. This means I can't enjoy all sorts of things that are probably quite "good" objectively - I know this makes me sound like a total elitist ass but it's not the effect I'm going for :(

cajunator

Banned
I immediately go into everything with a "critical" hat on. That's not to say I don't want to have an emotional reaction to something, but with any entertainment I want something that engages my brain in some way. I don't know if that's the same thing as your "immediate first impression", though.

For instance, back in 2003 or whenever it was I was super-hyped for Honey and Clover - first ever noitaminA show and all that (I knew next to nothing about the manga). As you may know, the show opens with the wheel of Takemoto's bike spinning as he monologues over it. That immediately caught my attention - not just because of the manipulatively emotional music that plays over the scene, but the combination of the dialogue and the visual metaphor engaged my brain and my heart at the same time, and I spent the rest of the episode thinking about all the ways that the direction and writing were more interesting than many other shows etc.

If the show has lots of interesting things going on in it either technically or narratively then I get increasingly thoughtful about it. If a show is bad, then quite often I get more critical of it as I try and pinpoint exactly what I don't like - because that makes it interesting enough for me to watch for the whole 22 minutes or whatever, rather than switching off and doing something else (which may be more constructive, but whatever...)

I'm not very good at "turning my brain off", whether it's for silly comedies or for wallowing in the atmosphere of iyashikei stuff. This means I can't enjoy all sorts of things that are probably quite "good" objectively - I know this makes me sound like a total elitist ass but it's not the effect I'm going for :(

It just makes me more interested in your initial reaction to Arjuna. I haven't SEEN Arjuna though, which is probably a capitol offense in this thread.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Goddamnit, why did I have to watch that trailer for the Hidamari Sketch Sae/Hiro graduation...special...OVA...thing (seriously just tell us what the fuck it is already) again?

These damn onions, man...;_;

Tears will be shed like never before when this comes out. ;_;

Kazzy

Yes, it's usually why I try to write my impressions, after I've finished with something. If I stop to give my thoughts on every individual facet of a show, I feel that it robs me of that moment to moment enjoyment. I don't really like to analyze things as I'm watching them either, and only ever write something I feel compelled to. As you say, you strive to get that immersion. I think approaching it with a critical mindset would rob it of that spontaneity. Its also why I typically avoid trying to watch things on a weekly basis, because its not at all conducive to how I watch anime.

It's like when I watched Evangelion, I only provided a breakdown because I was naturally stopping to digest stuff. With Toradora!, I think I watched it in a couple of sittings, getting through it all very quickly. That said, I only really finished writing my thoughts after about a week or so of being removed from those, mainly because it's so easy to react a certain way to something, whether good or bad. I0t's always quite easy to articulate why you dislike something, in lieu of offering any sort of praise, even if you did in fact like certain aspects. And after reading a number of impression posts on here, people clearly target that kind of rhetoric. So I was very aware of just how critical I may sound, but I felt those problems were extremely pertinent to my overall enjoyment of the show.

I actually did like Toradora!, and It certainly got a reaction out of me. I just thought that it was disappointing in light of what it manages to do well. I mean, If I thought that it was simply bad, I probably wouldn't have written very much at all.

I think I've already mentioned that it was all your initial talk about it that got me to watch it in the first place. So in that respect, I (hopefully) gave a reasonable explanation as to why I ended up feeling the way I did. This is most likely an overly presumptuous way of looking at how others view impression posts! But when discussing something, particularly when it is well-loved by someone, I think that it's mean to simply dismiss it . If you don't like it, fine, but I at least try to verbalize that reasoning.

I think everyone (well, almost) is a little guilty of reverting back to that overly flippant nature of discussion, so I try to avoid it when giving a genuine response.

BluWacky

It just makes me more interested in your initial reaction to Arjuna. I haven't SEEN Arjuna though, which is probably a capitol offense in this thread.

My initial reaction to Arjuna was "this is ace."

Arjuna aired just as I was really truly getting into anime "properly". I had pretty much just finished watching Escaflowne for the first time as it aired on TV over here and was completely and utterly obsessed with it - I convinced my family to buy a chipped DVD player so I could import the DVDs from the States etc. So to discover that there was a show directed by Escaflowne's creator, with the same composer and theme tune singer (a big deal for me as I'm a big Yoko Kanno and Maaya Sakamoto fanboy to this day), was very exciting.

The first episode of Arjuna, as it aired on TV as opposed to the DVD cuts, opens with a montage sequence, beginning with a seagull swooping over Kobe as this track plays. The very first words you hear Juna Ariyoshi say are, I believe, "one hot summer day... I died." The rest of the sequence shows cuts from later in the episode - particularly the beautiful sunset motorbike scene, or when Juna floats out of her body on the operating table - juxtaposed with shots of her practicing kyuudou. It's a really beautifully directed sequence and gives no hint of the weirdness that comes later in the series, and it immediately held my interest - I mean, your protagonist has just told you she's going to die in the first episode!

There's all sorts of other awesome bits:

i) Juna and Tokio down by the harbour - it's a great establishing scene, with characterful animation and voice acting. You really get a feel for how their relationship works (or doesn't).
ii) The bike ride mentioned above, with the sun setting over Kobe and Cloe playing over it
iii) The climactic action sequence - the CG's dated by now, and sure Arjuna looks really really weird, but I thought it was pretty epic when Juna saves Tokio.

Sure, Cindy is annoying as hell, and Chris's elliptical bollocks dialogue is always stupid. But I loved it anyway.

cajunator

Banned
Some people buy weapons but don't use them to kill people.

Gun owners. (well most of them)

My initial reaction to Arjuna was "this is ace."

Arjuna aired just as I was really truly getting into anime "properly". I had pretty much just finished watching Escaflowne for the first time as it aired on TV over here and was completely and utterly obsessed with it - I convinced my family to buy a chipped DVD player so I could import the DVDs from the States etc. So to discover that there was a show directed by Escaflowne's creator, with the same composer and theme tune singer (a big deal for me as I'm a big Yoko Kanno and Maaya Sakamoto fanboy to this day), was very exciting.

The first episode of Arjuna, as it aired on TV as opposed to the DVD cuts, opens with a montage sequence, beginning with a seagull swooping over Kobe as this track plays. The very first words you hear Juna Ariyoshi say are, I believe, "one hot summer day... I died." The rest of the sequence shows cuts from later in the episode - particularly the beautiful sunset motorbike scene, or when Juna floats out of her body on the operating table - juxtaposed with shots of her practicing kyuudou. It's a really beautifully directed sequence and gives no hint of the weirdness that comes later in the series, and it immediately held my interest - I mean, your protagonist has just told you she's going to die in the first episode!

There's all sorts of other awesome bits:

i) Juna and Tokio down by the harbour - it's a great establishing scene, with characterful animation and voice acting. You really get a feel for how their relationship works (or doesn't).
ii) The bike ride mentioned above, with the sun setting over Kobe and Cloe playing over it
iii) The climactic action sequence - the CG's dated by now, and sure Arjuna looks really really weird, but I thought it was pretty epic when Juna saves Tokio.

Sure, Cindy is annoying as hell, and Chris's elliptical bollocks dialogue is always stupid. But I loved it anyway.

One day I will learn from the mountain. the problem is tracking down a dvd copy on ebay that isnt ludicrously expensive.

Jintor

Seitokai Yakuindomo

The jokes are pretty funny, and the direction is pretty decent, but the animation is cleaaaaaaarly on a budget. Repeat students in every group shot. Weird perspective bits. Incredibly CG background.

But yeah. The jokes are pretty funny, so I can excuse pretty much everything else. Ahaha, this blunt humour is amazing.

Soma

Seitokai Yakuindomo

The jokes are pretty funny, and the direction is pretty decent, but the animation is cleaaaaaaarly on a budget. Repeat students in every group shot. Weird perspective bits. Incredibly CG background.

But yeah. The jokes are pretty funny, so I can excuse pretty much everything else.

Probably my favorite guilty pleasure anime.

Best kaichou <3

Milamber

Seitokai Yakuindomo

But yeah. The jokes are pretty funny, so I can excuse pretty much everything else. Ahaha, this blunt humour is amazing.

iFFdxPqCpjPfL.gif

Jintor

Fine, they save it for when it's important

I fucking lost it when the kaichou lay down sideways on the table for the interview, and then the interviewer was like "I guess I have no choice" and lay sideways on the table too to do the interview. Completely deadpan Pfft.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Seitokai Yakuindomo

So I just Googled this show and discovered that the main character is voiced by Shintaro Asanuma (Sakaki in Acchi Kocchi, Izayoi in Mondaiji). Welp. Watching.

wonzo

Banned
NEEDLE SMUT 2

I said I was gonna drop this but then...

creepyjeff.gif

dat creaey yuri incest

*redrops until more smut appears*

e: forgot to mention for all the hair fetishists out there:
IT GROWS BACK

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Candy Boy did not come anywhere near to what I thought it would. Hell, Shoujo Sect was probably creepier.

This is true. It's just the first (and thus far only) show with that sort of theme going for it that I've ever watched, so it's kinda my go-to reference for such things. Heh.

I need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom