• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think I'd ever go that far. To say that it was above average for an anime production would be fair, but just highlights the tendency of most TV anime to be rather poorly directed. What you're claiming is that the direction was actual praiseworthy but I can't think of any moment in the series where I was really carried away by the exquisite craftsmanship of the direction.

Well whether something even turns out to be well produced in the first place requires a certain level of quality on the part of the director. Just making sure stuff is properly planned and organized is part of their job. Just throwing money at a project doesn't mean it's going to turn out well. Ito did a relatively good job making sure that SAO's quality was consistent compared to the flounderings of Magi and Shin Sekai. Now as for particular scenes that I thought were well put together; parts of episode 15 such as the conversation between Kayaba and Kirito,the final scene in ep 15, and the final scene in episode 25. While I did feel my IQ dropping as I watched these scenes, I acknowledge that they are well put together. I also think the molestation scene in episode 24 did a good job of playing up the creepiness aspect. While it's Berserk Eclipse for kiddies, I think the scene did a good job of demonstrating the emotions of the characters and relating that to the audience. A lot of the scenes worked for people on an emotional level and I think Ito deserves credit for that. That said, I hate the fuck out of the writing.

Nafe

I only assume that they list characters like "Boy A, Boy B, Women A" etc. for un-named characters in anime as I've seen in some other cartoons. I would assume she would just be "Coworker" or something similar if that were the case.

OK, there were a couple characters listed as something like "Operator A" and "Operator B" and I think another that was "TV Reporter (or Announcer)" and she wasn't any of them.

trejo

Typical disgusting anime fan.

Usually this'd be the part where I try to make a case for myself but in this instance I really can't. :(

Baseball girl > student council president girl > photographer girl > childhood friend > sister > girl whose bangs cover her eyes > pathetic envious girl > gimnast girl

fshah-ifc-gin-263-80e2a782-mkv_snapshot_15-19_2013-03-15_23-28-12.jpg

Gintama Episode 263

Gin should try playing the role of bad guy more often since he's really good at it.

Still feel bad that they can't save Obi, at least Shin is starting to man up again and has entered the battle.

trejo

If I were the crueler type I'd upload a youtube video of the transformation sequences set to that stupid song.

*wink* *nudge*

Jex

Well whether something even turns out to be well produced in the first place requires a certain level of quality on the part of the director. Just making sure stuff is properly planned and organized is part of their job. Just throwing money at a project doesn't mean it's going to turn out well. Ito did a relatively good job making sure that SAO's quality was consistent compared to the flounderings of Magi and Shin Sekai. Now as for particular scenes that I thought were well put together; parts of episode 15 such as the conversation between Kayaba and Kirito,the final scene in ep 15, and the final scene in episode 25. While I did feel my IQ dropping as I watched these scenes, I acknowledge that they are well put together. I also think the molestation scene in episode 24 did a good job of playing up the creepiness aspect. While it's Berserk Eclipse for kiddies, I think the scene did a good job of demonstrating the emotions of the characters and relating that to the audience. A lot of the scenes worked for people on an emotional level and I think Ito deserves credit for that. That said, I hate the fuck out of the writing.

I don't really have a fundamental disagreement without over Ito's directorial strengths or the overall quality of Sword Art Online's direction but rather I disagree with how impressive that is in an overall sense. To say that it's 'very well directed' would imply that I had been wowed. The only time I've ever been "wowed" by something this year, or even really last year, was Tamako Market episode 9. There's a show with really great production values and direction throughout but the ninth episode easily eclipses the rest of the series, and the vast majority of stuff that's beeing made at the moment.

Awww snap!

http://i.imgur.com/xhqYwvl.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9q3Du1P.jpg[IMG]

Railgun S is already looking better than ever! Maybe the Daihaisei Arc will be animated after all![/QUOTE]

I have no idea what to expect from Railgun S now, in a good way. The fight with a certain esper at the end of the OP was the biggest surprise to me. I was expecting the screen time of the other main girls to be increased compared to the manga, but seeing the possibility of more Touma screen time surprised me.

[spoiler]Mental Out is looking to be getting alot of the limelight in the near future. Her role in the Daihaisei Arc, making her debut in the Light Novels, and already appearing in the railgun anime. Kamachi must have big plans for her. [/spoiler]

Jarmel

Banned
I don't really have a fundamental disagreement without over Ito's directorial strengths or the overall quality of Sword Art Online's direction but rather I disagree with how impressive that is in an overall sense. To say that it's 'very well directed' would imply that I had been wowed. The only time I've ever been "wowed" by something this year, or even really last year, was Tamako Market episode 9. There's a show with really great production values and direction throughout but the ninth episode easily eclipses the rest of the series, and the vast majority of stuff that's beeing made at the moment.

Well I think part of that has to do with the writing in that it's part of a show. Ep 9 in Tamako was a very well planned bit and the story arc came together into an exceptional episode. No matter how well produced, by well produced I'm referring to the visuals and music, an episode is, the writing has to support it to some extent otherwise it becomes a jumble that takes the audience out of the scene. SAO's writing is so shitty at times, that it really ruins series. When during emotional moments, the audience is asking "What the fuck is going on? Why should I care? This doesn't make sense.", then it really limits the impact of what the director can do. It all has to come together as a whole. That said, a truly exceptional director would realize how shitty the story is and either had it flat out rewritten for the better or add in a bunch of stuff to make the narrative better but I wonder how many directors are allowed that much leeway in the first place.

yami4ct

...Think I'm gonna wait for an official confirmation.

I would. There's been the whole Saban bringing over Kamen Rider as Power Rider rumor for absolute ever and nothing has ever come of it. Saban is likely just exploring options right now. And, yeah, that name is absolute hilarious.

As a Sentai fan, I give this piece of advice. Just ignore the western adaptation. Take it as an opportunity to laugh at how bad it is, buy toys of the show you love in the US, and move on.

Yahari Ore Yadda Yadda 2

Was not really digging the first half of the episode, it was just as painful as watching any given scene in OreShura. The second half however had an entertaining new character who seems to be part of the main cast of goofballs now. Still a mixed bag, but I'm still enjoying this and maybe the new characters yet to be introduced will keep me watching.

I would. There's been the whole Saban bringing over Kamen Rider as Power Rider rumor for absolute ever and nothing has ever come of it. Saban is likely just exploring options right now. And, yeah, that name is absolute hilarious.

As a Sentai fan, I give this piece of advice. Just ignore the western adaptation. Take it as an opportunity to laugh at how bad it is, buy toys of the show you love in the US, and move on.

based off the quality of power ranger stuff vs sentai... you probably don't want gangnam girls toys.

LegatoB

I'm glad that cover says "Not Final" because it's all kinds of terrible.
Pretty sure that's the stock cover that came with my copy of the Japanese BD release, and I'm fairly sure this is exactly the same release. The Japanese version includes alternate covers featuring the rest of the cast, if you'd prefer those.

Mature

Calling it Gangnam Girls is far beyond the stupidest shit you could intentionally dream up.

I mean, they're calling it that because of the song, right?

Jex

Well I think part of that has to do with the writing in that it's part of a show. Ep 9 in Tamako was a very well planned bit and the story arc came together into an exceptional episode. No matter how well produced, by well produced I'm referring to the visuals and music, an episode is, the writing has to support it to some extent otherwise it becomes a jumble that takes the audience out of the scene. SAO's writing is so shitty at times, that it really ruins series. When during emotional moments, the audience is asking "What the fuck is going on? Why should I care? This doesn't make sense.", then it really limits the impact of what the director can do. It all has to come together as a whole. That said, a truly exceptional director would realize how shitty the story is and either had it flat out rewritten for the better or add in a bunch of stuff to make the narrative better but I wonder how many directors are allowed that much leeway in the first place.

In the case of Sword Art Online I don't think it's really up to the director to improve the quality of the story or the writing because that doesn't matter to the target demographic. Rather, I think Ito knew exactly what his audience wanted and he gave them that - he made the junk that they wanted to consume and he did it with more skill than expected. This was clearly the right strategy, commercially speaking.

The only time I'd like to see a director alter the material he or she (hey it happens) is working on is when they have a strong which is hampered by a few weakness that could be rectified. SAO is inherently trashy and so not really something that I could imagine being 'saved'.

Jex

Speaking of adaptations making changes to the source material, can anyone think of any anime adaptations that actually improved on the original material? I mean, it's not really that common but it has to have happened a few times!

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

Do you folks have any more or am I just crazy?

Mature

Speaking of adaptations making changes to the source material, can anyone think of any anime adaptations that actually improved on the original material? I mean, it's not really that common but it has to have happened a few times!

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

Didn't people say this was the case for Chuu2?

Dresden

Probably a long list, but off the top of my head, stuff like

Mushishi
Blue Exorcist
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Kimi ni Todoke
Ghost in the Shell
Hajime no Ippo
Nichibros
Nichijou
Needless

and so on and so forth.

We tend to remember the failures more than the successes, because successful adaptations tend to just eclipse the source entirely.

Jarmel

Banned

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

I have a feeling that Berserk one is going to irritate the shit out of a few people.

Sankarea comes to mind though.

Jex

Probably a long list, but off the top of my head, stuff like

Mushishi
Blue Exorcist
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Kimi ni Todoke
Ghost in the Shell
Hajime no Ippo
Nichibros
Nichijou
Needless

and so on and so forth.

We tend to remember the failures more than the successes, because successful adaptations tend to just eclipse the source entirely.

I was going to say Ippo but felt like I hadn't read enough of the manga to pass comment.

Ghost in the Shell is one I should have thought of myself.

Also, I'm getting the urge to watch the Needless OP again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6M4Lp_kRS0

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

I definitely enjoyed watching the two seasons of The World God Only Knows more than I enjoyed reading those 40 or so chapters.

NeonZ

This is a different situation from Power Rider though. Power Rider was found due to the name being registed by Saban, but that's it. It never appeared in any press releases or announcements. This seems to be an actual active project that soon will have an actual reveal. Of course, it might not be a Smile Pretty Cure dub at all.

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

When you say improved, are you counting remaining faithful, yet elevating it in terms of presentation and whatnot?

In that case, off the top of my head

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2012
Mirai Nikki
Death Note (minus the ending)
Hunter x Hunter 2011

Dresden

Can't believe I didn't mention Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. There's so many.

e: and I guess someone will mention Akira, inevitably.

Erigu

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

(You listed Berserk, so you're at least a bit crazy anyway, sorry.)

Hmm. Well, Rurôni Kenshin Tsuioku Hen, obviously. Other than that... Mind Game?

Didn't people say this was the case for Chuu2?
Was that before or after the "serious turn" though?

Disappearance and the OG season for Haruhi definitely.
Those were novels!

Conan-san

It's short for Pretty Cure, which is short for merchandising dat shit.
Though I'm at a loss as to how going from that to Gangnam is going to help marketing any besides the meme link.

I mean Kamen Rider to Masked Rider makes sense (Even if the content within didn't), as is going from Digimon Xros Wars to Digimon Fusion Battles (same thing, more or less) this is about a million miles off.

Jex

Can't believe I didn't mention Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. There's so many.

e: and I guess someone will mention Akira, inevitably.

You know what the Akira manga is? Overly long and not particularly compelling. The anime is vastly superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom