• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2013-04-12/interview-sword-art-online-reki-kawahara

Great interview with the literary genius Reki Kawahara.

Some good nuggets:

ANN: In a recent video, an interview for Sakura-Con with Aniplex, you said you put some time into Diablo III and enjoy it. What class is your favorite to play?
Kawahara: Ah, demon hunter.

ANN: Do you have any messages for your American fans?
Kawahara: I was very impressed that American fans love SAO and Accel World. More than I expected and I was so impressed. Both I and the publisher, ASCII Media Works, we really want to work with a publisher to publish the English version.

ANN: Are there any light novel works by some of your peers that you're reading currently that might inspire you?
Kawahara: After I signed with ASCII Media Work's Dengeki Bunko imprint, I couldn't read other writer's work because after I'd read a novel I could visualize the writer. It's not a light novel, but I really admire Stephen King. I may want to try a horror story.

and the best one -
ANN: The lead female characters in both Sword Art Online and Accel World, Asuna and Kuroyukihime, I thought, they were very strong, capable female characters. What kind of inspiration did you take to write those characters? Are they based on anyone you know in real life?
Kawahara: There are no existing people that I wrote them on based in the real world. I don't usually don't make a character, setting, or anything before I start writing. As I write the story, the girls become what they are now. So, somehow, I don't know exactly, but somehow, my subliminal idea or some hidden emotion creates the characters to be strong and capable.

fshah-ifc-gin-264-0bb160ac-mkv_snapshot_12-22_2013-03-22_21-06-58.jpg

Gintama 264 School of Beam Saber Arc End

Well so long Obi, really doubt you survived the blast but at least you went out in style.

Now they can go back to ignoring the dojo for x number of episodes.

Ultimadrago

Jex

Even now, I can't believe Madhouse animated Needless way back in 2009. I suppose that should have been the final sign that they had lost their creative vision and drive in terms of the work that they wanted to produce but at the same time that show was really fun and featured some pretty great animation.

Conan-san

ANN: Do you have any messages for your American fans?
Kawahara: I was very impressed that American fans love SAO and Accel World. More than I expected and I was so impressed. Both I and the publisher, ASCII Media Works, we really want to work with a publisher to publish the English version.

My Kindle is ready.

Jex

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2013-04-12/interview-sword-art-online-reki-kawahara

and the best one -
ANN: The lead female characters in both Sword Art Online and Accel World, Asuna and Kuroyukihime, I thought, they were very strong, capable female characters. What kind of inspiration did you take to write those characters? Are they based on anyone you know in real life?
Kawahara: There are no existing people that I wrote them on based in the real world. I don't usually don't make a character, setting, or anything before I start writing. As I write the story, the girls become what they are now. So, somehow, I don't know exactly, but somehow, my subliminal idea or some hidden emotion creates the characters to be strong and capable.

Trolling ANN in real life. He truly is a master.

Steroyd

so it cures your pretty and makes you ugly.

Well Heartcatch Precure's put on perfume to transform, Smile Precure's put on make up compact so it's not outside the realm of possibility to think that Precure was initially designed to make the young female youth feel ugly, so they then go buy Pretty Cure goods.

Speaking of adaptations making changes to the source material, can anyone think of any anime adaptations that actually improved on the original material? I mean, it's not really that common but it has to have happened a few times!

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

Do you folks have any more or am I just crazy?

Seikon no Qwaser. Though that's probably just because they got Uno Makoto to do the character art.

7Th

Speaking of adaptations making changes to the source material, can anyone think of any anime adaptations that actually improved on the original material? I mean, it's not really that common but it has to have happened a few times!

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

Everything by KyoAni. And I mean EVERYTHING.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
7th thinks it might be Smile + Heartcatch + Suite though!
Well Smile isn't Music or Fashion themed (more than usual PreCure). I said it on IRC but imagine if they pull a robotech and edit several PreCure shows into one single show. Fashion is HeartCatch, Music is Suite.
They also do a Charlie's Angels plot with Psy as Charlie. Thanks Enron for the last one.
NONONONONONONONO

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Never thought a video about a meaty asian guy dancing with sexy dudes and ladies is all the craze with prepubescent girls these days.

Far and away the most egregious aspect of the whole thing is the use of the word Gangnam at all. I mean, whitewashing the cultural origin of a show for a localized market is one thing, but the whole "all dem ching-chong languages/peoples is the same" attitude? Gross.

Like, if this was the 1970s, the show probably would have been retitled "Shanghai Super Girls" and no one would have even batted an eye, but "all Asians = Chinese" is I guess finally just un-PC enough that it has to be done more discretely. Now that Americans know that South Korea exists, it can finally be capitalized upon.

Steroyd

Off the top of my head:

K-On!
Berserk
Kaiji

One Piece in parts, although I'd attribute it to having the advantage in motion and sound.
I'd imagine Gintama is the same for this reason as well.

Although I think it's closer to say they compliment their original source counterparts very well.

Steroyd

Really? The One Piece anime really looks bad compared to the manga imo

That's why I said in parts, for a while they've gone at 1 chapter per episode pacing, which was painfully exposed in the Impel Down and Marineford arc and beyond, but moments like Sogekings song would simply not have been possible in that manner in the manga by virtue of having sound.

kazebyaka

Banned
highschool-of-the-dead_3985790.jpg

Highschool of the dead 1-12
I've heard that many people really hate this flick, but i just saw it and i must say, that it's pretty nice. It's not the smartest, deepest, coolest anime ever, but it's definitely entertaining. I liked pretty much all main cast of heroes, except the blond chick. She's 100% useless.
Fanservice was...normal. Story is fast paced and engaging, like pretty much most zombie related stuff (except talking dead).
Will wait season 2. And why is it called "highschool" of the dead? More like city of the dead or something, they spent 3 eps in school and that's it.
Really? The One Piece anime really looks bad compared to the manga imo
Like everything. But motion+sound beats all odds (i also haven't read OP manga, so anime only for me, win-win situation)

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 55: After the Ceremony, the Curtain Rises Once Again...

~ I hope nothing happens. ~

The new OP is brilliant.
Yang looked like Michael Corleone during his wedding ceremony. I love the joke about this is Yang's biggest Miracle.
Definitely looking forward to the adventures of the new trio Julian-Mashengo-Poplan. So glad Poplan will remain in the picture.
Damn, Julian got stunned by that redhead. She didn't look too interested though. Also, her introduction reminded of the 'jackpot' scene in the Spiderman comic books.

Far and away the most egregious aspect of the whole thing is the use of the word Gangnam at all. I mean, whitewashing the cultural origin of a show for a localized market is one thing, but the whole "all dem ching-chong languages/peoples is the same" attitude? Gross.

Like, if this was the 1970s, the show probably would have been retitled "Shanghai Super Girls" and no one would have even batted an eye, but "all Asians = Chinese" is I guess finally just un-PC enough that it has to be done more discretely. Now that Americans know that South Korea exists, it can finally be capitalized upon.

This is all starting to make sense.

jbug617

Banned
highschool-of-the-dead_3985790.jpg

Highschool of the dead 1-12
I've heard that many people really hate this flick, but i just saw it and i must say, that it's pretty nice. It's not the smartest, deepest, coolest anime ever, but it's definitely entertaining. I liked pretty much all main cast of heroes, except the blond chick. She's 100% useless.
Fanservice was...normal. I like boobs.
Will wait season 2.

I enjoyed the show but I don't think we will see a season 2 anytime soon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 55: After the Ceremony, the Curtain Rises Once Again...

Damn, Julian got stunned by that redhead. She didn't look too interested though. Also, her introduction reminded of the 'jackpot' scene in the Spiderman comic books.
dat Misato Katsuragi

Dresden

WHATEVER NOVIwait what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom