• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Needless] - 1 (Rewatch)

As this came up in casual conversation I thought that I should check it out to see how well it holds up. The answer is: surprisingly well, at least for this episode.

While the direction wasn't exactly anything to right home about and the structure of the episode was fairly traditional I was nevertheless entertained throughout in spite of, or perhaps because, the material itself is so over the top.

What I really want to talk about is the art and animation. This episode has a really impressive visual flair throughout and there's tons of cool looking cuts. Perhaps because there were two animation directors, or perhaps just because it was the nature of the production team, but there's lots of crazy art on display:

NeedlessEp11_zpsb001f2a3.jpg:original
NeedlessEp13_zpsad653e35.jpg:original

NeedlessEp14_zps203d40ae.jpg:original
NeedlessEp17_zps1160d237.jpg:original

NeedlessEp18_zpsa4d39ae7.jpg:original
NeedlessEp19_zpse7f581cd.jpg:original

NeedlessEp110_zps51a35f54.jpg:original
NeedlessEp111_zps028082f2.jpg:original

Even the background art looks good, which I wasn't expecting at all:

NeedlessEp16_zpsb5e6babd.jpg:original
NeedlessEp112_zps52f3bb4b.jpg:original

Lots of key animators worked on this episode, although the only semi-notable one appears to be Jun Arai. Still, there were some interesting sequences:

ibfspKOamyQS4R.gif

iUx0qi79HAkR9.gif

ibgqaPevj61inr.gif

Jex

Episode one syndrome. Putting all that money up front!

Still, at least this show knows how to start well. Some titles don't even understand the importance of hooking people in early, even if you are hooking them in with a level of quality that the rest of your show can't hope to match.

Dennou Coil - 02

Boku Satchii. Fuck off Searchmaton! It's a lot more
effective with the his spherical drones out o it body, I didn't get why it got them back to the main body.
Since now I know pets
are actually infected with illegals, I wonder what the other Yuko wants with it.
The metabugs seems so useful
to be an unknown thing.
That's one creepy place to build a
cyberstudio Megabaa
. Nice action on the escape from Satchii,
I'm quite found of the gadgets and Yasako will get a chance to use them since now she's a Coil Cyberinvetigation member
, it would be really nice to be a child in this city.
Megabaa is the closest I'll get to see an old lady
shooting beams from her forehead.

yami4ct

Valvrave the Liberator 01

[IG]http://i.minus.com/iYPNhWdlMOp91.gif[/IMG]

It's amazing how adding some absolute insanity to a show can break up a boring old formula. I went from "This is alright, I'll watch it for the pretty mecha" to "Holy crap, this is going to be fuuuuuuuuun."

Articalys

I wonder if Shingeki being locked behind a paywall was one of MBS's conditions for North American streaming or something... well, I guess they haven't revealed all the details about the license yet, so we'll see.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I wonder if Shingeki being locked behind a paywall was one of MBS's conditions for North American streaming or something... well, I guess they haven't revealed all the details about the license yet, so we'll see.

Why not crunchyroll then?

kayos90

Because Crunchyroll simulcast episodes are free for everyone one week after the initial release date, right? I mean, maybe there's a show or two that don't have that, but I don't think so.

I thought they could make a show perma sub. If not then I guess that's reason enough.

Articalys

I thought they could make a show perma sub. If not then I guess that's reason enough.
I always thought they could perma-lock as well. Maybe not.
No, I know they can lock stuff to subscriber-only, I just don't recall it ever being done for a simulcasting series before.
Really, who knows how the entire deal went down. Maybe MBS simply approached Funimation first for reasons; I would have responded the same way if Crunchyroll had picked it up as subscriber-only anyway. I'm only speculating!

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 56: To Earth...

~ To combat the tyranny of Earth, we must cast our lot with Sirius. ~

Another documentary episode, focusing on Earth. Pretty funny how you can see the Cold War mentality of nuclear war in this alternative history. Poplan is deeper than I thought.

Kagami

highschool-of-the-dead_3985790.jpg

Highschool of the dead 1-12
I've heard that many people really hate this flick, but i just saw it and i must say, that it's pretty nice. It's not the smartest, deepest, coolest anime ever, but it's definitely entertaining. I liked pretty much all main cast of heroes, except the blond chick. She's 100% useless.
Fanservice was...normal. Story is fast paced and engaging, like pretty much most zombie related stuff (except talking dead).
Will wait season 2. And why is it called "highschool" of the dead? More like city of the dead or something, they spent 3 eps in school and that's it.

I really enjoyed it too. Suspenseful action scenes, attractive and fun characters, all those cool ending songs, some pretty animation. One of my favorites of 2010.

trejo

Valvrave 1

As far as first episodes go the large majority of this one felt extremely by the numbers. It's like they had a checklist of clichés to go through or a quota of tropes to fill. I mean, goddamn. Sure, it looked pretty enough but it was kinda tough to keep watching, honestly.

But then once that happened I kinda just stopped caring about any of those drawbacks in the same way I also stopped expecting this show to be good. Instead, I now expect it to be purely dumb stupid fun. I want it to go full on Code Geass trainwreck levels on everyone's asses.

Hopefully it will not disappoint my realigned expectations.

Naruto-Shippuden-304.jpg

Naruto Shippuden 304-305

Never really cared about the Sound 4 (except Tayuya) but it was nice seeing Shikamaru, Choji, Kiba, and Neji having a rematch with them again. Absolutely loved it when Kiba managed to break through the triple Rashamon gates and when they showcased Shikamaru's leadership skills. Ending with Naruto rescuing them was lame, though I appreciate it that they are keeping with the manga and not having Naruto meet his friends in his powerup form just yet.

kayos90

I don't get the massive obsession of yuri or lesbian relationships yall have. Maybe it's just me. What do you guys find about it that's so interesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom