• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I haven't watched anime for almost two weeks and I think I almost don't want to catch up and watch any anime at this point. Everything is already "old". Given that anime sucks and will forever suck, did anything happen to save anime? Did all the hyped shows become massive disappointments? Do people still think Aku no Hana is a piece of shit (to be eaten)?

That said, I'll just post this because I figure SDBurton should see what real yuri looks like:
I actually grabbed two volumes, since one had a Hiyori Otsu short and one had a Takamura Jin short. (I also picked up a random used copy of Shit Eater because... well, why not I suppose).

Also, ANN did a 2.5 hour podcast "debate" between Zac and a guy who runs a blog called Task Force Moe about... well, moe. That was certainly one way to kill time on a bus ride.

7S1svLo.gif

I haven't watched anime for almost two weeks and I think I almost don't want to catch up and watch any anime at this point. Everything is already "old". Given that anime sucks and will forever suck, did anything happen to save anime? Did all the hyped shows become massive disappointments? Do people still think Aku no Hana is a piece of shit (to be eaten)?

If that's the attitude you have, you probably shouldn't be watching any anime. (Honestly, given what I've seen, you probably shouldn't be watching any television.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shingeki no Kyojin was Magi'd.
Aku no Hana was successfully disappointing.
Hataraku Maou-sama saved the season.
So duckbranduilhype is strikes again? (I can't remember the teams),
I don't know if I can trust you on everything else though!

This is the best season since probably 2008.
Speaking of which...

Sorry bro, Yuri Hime contains real yuri. Even if Yuru Yuri taints the magazine!

akibaranger s2 is going great. Animegaf even makes a cameo.

http://i.minus.com/iv1UP56vPaBNa.gif
Did they explain why they killed the old Blue?

Zetman 1 (dub rewatch)

Episode felt even better dubbed I thought, Jin, old man, the lady all done so well and my emotions.
bath scene after the death and then bed scene and hope
, best moments.

Nafe

Banner of the Stars (Seikai no Senki)

Episodes 2 & 3

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see mention of this show slowly getting worse because right now I'm really really enjoying it. I don't really have anything specific to say but compared to maybe being slightly disappointed with the first episode and it being somewhat of a recap, I quite liked these next two episodes. Just the art has been pretty nice with the detailed ships and space action as well as some really nice looking backgrounds at times. Some of the shots with the depth of field and little bits being animated make them pleasant to look at.

The general series did a pretty good job in the smaller scale of things how it focused on the characters such as in Crest of the Stars but it seems just as easily capable to focus on the much larger scale as has been shown so far in the conflict in Banner of the Stars. All the new characters introduced seem interesting in their own ways and I really like how it's handled the details of the larger battle with the fleet split up with its different commanders (Spoor <3) and talk of setting up supply lines and overtaking planets along with way to work as supplementary and supply bases for the main fleet.

Just really good stuff and I look forward to watching the next episode.

I haven't watched anime for almost two weeks and I think I almost don't want to catch up and watch any anime at this point. Everything is already "old". Given that anime sucks and will forever suck, did anything happen to save anime?

No, but I watched something that was more trollish than School Days and Blood-c combined and no one cared.

Zettai Bouei Leviathan - 03 ( Rescue mission )

Zettai%20Bouei%20Leviathan%20-%2003.jpg

Nobody does ..but it's sure entertaining.

Great episode again , classic but great.
I think i understand what this show is trying to do.

It's trying to not be serious.... and it succeeds.

How many times will the bar will be destroyed ?
Will syrop manage to not be the best fairy ever ?
Will this trio manage to trully even reach the friend status ?
Will yurlungur manage to get a date with leviathan ?
What are below the scales ?

Tune in next week !

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Karneval is worth watching, though I dont know why youre comparing it to an otome, as Karneval has an excellent of intrigue and action, magic, and super powers, and awesome Circus moments of epic proportions.

Didn't mean to imply that it was an otome; only remarking on the presence of attractive young males.

Fun fact: Karneval has the same character designer as Yes! Precure 5, the one with the prominent yaoi pairing:

4pUArjS.jpg

You should try it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This shirt is incredibly boring. This one is at least a bit more visually interesting, but also looks like something you might find at Hot Topic.

I really have to show you guys the super-wahjah Hot Topic weeb corner of my wardrobe that I haven't touched in a decade sometime. I still can't believe that no one ever beat me up in high school.

Basch

2011 was a pretty good year IMO: Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, anohana, Usagi Drop, and Fate/zero. There was probably more than that I'm forgetting still. For 2013, the highlights for me are Psycho-Pass, and well... I guess that's it for now. But I hear Shinsekai Yori is really good. Still need to watch that. As for promising new shows: Suisei no Gargantia, Shingeki no Kyojin, Hataraku Maou-sama!, and Valvrave.

Honestly though, if you quit anime because it's been "bad" when 2011 was probably one of the best years the medium has had, you probably deserve missing out on them.

Narag

Gargantia might be scifi enough to please you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
No, but I watched something that was more trollish than School Days and Blood-c combined and no one cared.

I wanted to read the post but if I'm spoiled on a good troll end even in the slightest it loses its impact. Platonic Hearts has my attention now.

Forkball

Any good recent historical/fantasy/historical fantasy anime? I already saw Sword of the Stranger.

I don't really keep up with anime any more outside of some movies, but I've been in the mood to watch a historical or fantasy epic or a show with that type of setting. Something like Escaflowne or Twelve Kingdoms or Moribito. It seems a lot of shows are being made about the sengoku period of Japan, something I find really interesting, but then I find out the plot is something like "what if the daimyo were HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS" and it doesn't really capture my interest. Are there any recommendations of shows that fit my vague description from the past five or so years?

Dresden

Any good recent historical/fantasy/historical fantasy anime? I already saw Sword of the Stranger.

I don't really keep up with anime any more outside of some movies, but I've been in the mood to watch a historical or fantasy epic or a show with that type of setting. Something like Escaflowne or Twelve Kingdoms or Moribito. It seems a lot of shows are being made about the sengoku period of Japan, something I find really interesting, but then I find out the plot is something like "what if the daimyo were HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS" and it doesn't really capture my interest. Are there any recommendations of shows that fit my vague description from the past five or so years?

There was Hyouge Mono, recently:

The story is set during Japan's Sengoku Jidai (Era of the Warring States) and centers on Furuta Sasuke, a vassal of the great warlord Oda Nobunaga and a man obsessed with tea ceremony and material desires in his pursuit of a fortuitous life. Having learned from Oda and the legendary tea master Sen no Soueki, Furuta walks the way of the Hyouge Mono.

Watch it and come back to tell us if it was any good.

7Th

Little Witch Academia

And tell all your friends about it.

Noirulus

Work hard to pander to me, Maou-sama! - 01

Something that really, really annoyed me was that Maou's personality changed to generic-shorom-protagonist in the span of a few minutes midway through the episode. They just conveniently decided to leave out how this marvelous change occurs! After all, who needs character development 'mirite?

It's pure deception from the author. The scene where Maou hands the redhead his umbrella was was especially repulsive because it's a 180 from the type of character Maou was just 7 minutes earlier.

All complaints notwithstanding, I still liked the episode. I just wish the show spent an episode or two showing how Maou and Alstein(sp?) became accustomed to their new life, and how this new lifestyle changed Maou's personality.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart/Master of Martial Hearts

Okay, so since I've partially recovered from that mess of a finale, think I'll give some ACTUAL impressions.

So this is a 5 episode OVA series with a focus on fanservice and girls fighting. It's pretty much in the Ikkitosen "genre", but without the RTK slant. There's some tournament going on where the winner gets any wish they want granted. Pretty standard setup there.

I don't have a ton of compliments for the first 4 episodes. The presentation is way too subdued for the premise, the fights are poorly paced, the animation is inconsistent, the art and character designs are generic as hell, and they just flat out aren't very interesting. Really, everything about it is wasted potential, especially with how the fights are set up to be these ridiculous, over the top encounters, but kind of peter out before they even begin, even if there's occasionally some not bad choreography.

Sounds like a pretty bad set of OVAs, right?

HOWEVER

What makes this so memorable is the absolutely ridiculous final episode. Now, troll endings are nothing new, especially if you're a regular of this thread. The thing is, in the case of Platonic Heart, saying it comes out of nowhere would be an understatement.

People will generally point to School Days or Blood-C when talking about trollish developments. However, in both of these cases, you can tell the shows were actually building toward such events, even if they were more extreme than anyone could have imagined. Here, the abrupt nature of how things play out almost make it seem like it's parodying such developments

To give a comparison, imagine if Spongebob ended with a mind-broken Sandy being sold as a sex slave, Patrick found decapitated in a gutter, Squidward arrested for eating babies, and Spongebob killing Mr. Krabs and hollowing out his corpse so he can live on as his boss and no one ever finds out. That's pretty much the equivalent of how this ended.

And you know what? It's better for it. I was all ready to give this a 4 on MAL, but the finale made it jump up to a 7. Such a ridiculous turn of events must be commended regardless of what came before it.
Spongebob Squarepants as written by Frank Miller?

Attack on Potato 3

Good episode with some nice lightheartedness to lighten up the mood. It seems weird how they
moved from training to becoming a soldier in seemingly such a short period of time/after one exercise
. I'm probably going to pick up the manga soon since I can't wait a week for this anymore.

-Minsc-

Gargantia 2

For some reason when watching this episode the art and stuff reminded me of Baten Kaitios. Odd.

Valvrave

I wish this was bad in a good way. Sadly it's bad in a bad way. It just doesn't hook me at all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Quality shows in these genres are slim pickings recently but this is what I'd recommend from the past half-decade:

Hyouge Mono
Mononoke
Sengoku Basara

There was a new Slayers a few years ago but it was p.bad ._. The only other straight-up fantasy shows that I can think of that weren't totally abysmal are Tower of Druaga and Legend of the Legendary Heroes, but nothing recent really holds a candle to the classics in the fantasy/adventure genre. There's also Ixion Saga DT which is basically a comedic send-up of the genre/JRPGs if you don't mind parody.

If you liked Escaflowne (mecha in a fantasy setting) you might like Break Blade. /shrug

I'm assuming that you're just talking about series that take place in historical Japan and not historical settings in general, so I can add more suggestions if it wasn't your intent to be that specific.

In the end I found myself unable to watch Hyouge Mono because it has probably the worst music and music direction I've ever heard in any anime. If someone made a version of it that cut out the entire soundtrack, I'd be happy.

I haven't watched it myself, but I've heard good things about Saiunkoku Monogatari; if you haven't watched that, you may want to check it out.

Thoraxes

Attack on Titan - 03

The award this episode goes to Master Xehanort for getting some new keyblade masters ready.

9TmNl52.png

Also I lost it
at fucking Potato-girl.

Defuser

Did they explain why they killed the old Blue?
IIRC she and the actress that play Sayaka switch agencies not to mention the old blue is starring in new movie called SakuraHime where she plays as a young woman who was attack(rape?) by a man and she became a prostitute to find the man and I think she enjoys being attack. Thats why she not free for akibaranger season 2.

mAcOdIn

IIRC she and the actress that play Sayaka switch agencies not to mention the old blue is starring in new movie called SakuraHime where she plays as a young woman who was attack(rape?) by a man and she became a prostitute to find the man and I think she enjoys being attack.
Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom