• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So... I decided to marathon Guilty Crown this week...

and I actually was enjoying it up through episode 16 or
whenever the students decided their stupid coup against Shu or whatever

Then the show took a massive nose dive and ended with one of the worst endings I've seen in a while. Ugh, so much wasted potential.
I need to watch something else now and forget about what could have been.

Azazel-san Z 3

BnWYAst.jpg

The entire concept of this episode is hilarious. A dude that looks and talks all badass about his hemorrhoids is better than how Gintama handled the subject.

Defuser

Then the show took a massive nose dive and ended with one of the worst endings I've seen in a while. Ugh, so much wasted potential.
Now you know whenever you see a anime written by hiroyuki yoshino. Stay the fuck away from it.

Its like watching a poor mans Code Geass only its plot and characters aren't enough to make up for it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

I thought you hated Code Geass, why would you even touch Guilty Crown then?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

What kind of potential are you talking about? Is this the same potential you see in Valvrave?

I'm confused because I thought everyone thought GC was crap, and thinks the same of Valvrave. Do you genuinely like Valvrave?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I don't know anything about your tastes, admittedly, but just go watch Code:Breaker.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What kind of potential are you talking about? Is this the same potential you see in Valvrave?

I'm confused because I thought everyone thought GC was crap, and thinks the same of Valvrave. Do you genuinely like Valvrave?

Valvrave is enjoyable because I'm already expecting stupid things from it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Valvrave is enjoyable because I'm already expecting stupid things from it.

Gotcha. I thought people treated GC they same way Valvrave is generally being treated so far. Wasn't around here when it aired.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gotcha. I thought people treated GC they same way Valvrave is generally being treated so far. Wasn't around here when it aired.

I didn't pay attention to Guilty Crown when it aired... I just decided to watch it without not knowing much about it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I was waiting for account approval when GC began airing, but wasn't the reaction mostly due to the implosion after the whole "saving anime" meme? No one (well, maybe duckroll) expected anything of the sort from Vovvivelver, even ironically.

I already did and I enjoyed it. The manga is leagues better though.

Good, good.

Narag

I was waiting for account approval when GC began airing, but wasn't the reaction mostly due to the implosion after the whole "saving anime" meme? No one (well, maybe duckroll) expected anything of the sort from Vovvivelver, even ironically.

Good, good.

Actually thought Valvrave was going to be the best of the three on a cursory glance. How wrong I was.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Banner of the Stars (Seikai no Senki)

Episodes 2 & 3

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see mention of this show slowly getting worse because right now I'm really really enjoying it.
To me it stayed good, but it just wasn't AS good.

JCG

I think Guilty Crown had an aura of pretentiousness that was reflected throughout the product in multiple ways and made all of its stupidity look worse.

Valvrave is stupid, but I don't feel that sort of aura. It's just really dumb entertainment with the melodrama, twists, etc. being another part of the formula.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Actually thought Valvrave[/b[ was going to be the best of the three on a cursory glance. How wrong I was.

I had zero expectations and I ended up hating it less than Majestic Prince, and (pathetically) that's enough to keep me watching.

I forgot to ask this last night, but am I the only one who actually likes the CG in Velvevatra more than Orange's stuff in MJP? The mecha themselves are overdesigned as fuck, but I didn't find anything to be particularly jarring.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IIRC she and the actress that play Sayaka switch agencies not to mention the old blue is starring in new movie called SakuraHime where she plays as a young woman who was attack(rape?) by a man and she became a prostitute to find the man and I think she enjoys being attack. Thats why she not free for akibaranger season 2.
(J)drama!

Narag

I was hoping for more (like a 'serious' take on ripping off Gundam), and I like the director quite a bit. Oh, well.

About what I expected from it. Made the first episode a novelty as it met no expectation I had yet still proved to be entertaining. Not sure I'll bother to continue thoough.

I had zero expectations and I ended up hating it less than Majestic Prince, and (pathetically) that's enough to keep me watching.

I forgot to ask this last night, but am I the only one who actually likes the CG in Velvevatra more than Orange's stuff in MJP?

I liked what I saw in the first ep if only because the titular mech seemed to have weight behind it.

Huh... so what actually happens in the end to make it crazy? :p

A lot of things. Don't know if I really want to post spoilers in case interested people accidentally highlight, but I'll say it betrays expectations to the point where I almost said aloud "okay, now you're just fucking with me".

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
K-ON! - 11

c8nMNQi.png
VdwvdOb.png

Nooooo Ritsu! What are you doing?!!! Don't let jealousy ruin what you have!!!

Oh man this episode was tough on my OTP. Ritsu's tryhard attempts to get Mio's attention were tough to watch and at times I literally had to pause to get over the awkwardness of the scene at hand. My girl has it bad for Mio!

wQXvflM.png
Dsj12Uz.png

Nurse her back to health Mio! (*゚ノO゚)

Second part was fuck awesome with some reeeeally tender moments between the two. I wished Mio would've checked Ritsu's temperature by touching their foreheads together, but at least I got some handholding.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Valvrave the Liberator] 02

I CALLED IT (anyone could have called it)

I don't know, the thing is pretty dumb but it's not boring as fuck like Majestic Prince. It helps that the action in this show is still about a million times better than all of the other mecha shows this season combined. Admittedly not a high accolade, considering the CGI gets rough during some portions (the cut with
Valvrave comitting Harakiri looked bad).

This show could use a Loldouche. Everybody takes it too seriously. :/

wonzo

Banned
Any good recent historical/fantasy/historical fantasy anime? I already saw Sword of the Stranger.

I don't really keep up with anime any more outside of some movies, but I've been in the mood to watch a historical or fantasy epic or a show with that type of setting. Something like Escaflowne or Twelve Kingdoms or Moribito. It seems a lot of shows are being made about the sengoku period of Japan, something I find really interesting, but then I find out the plot is something like "what if the daimyo were HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS" and it doesn't really capture my interest. Are there any recommendations of shows that fit my vague description from the past five or so years?
Someone started subbing Musashi Gundoh for reals so go check that out!!

Nafe

I just watched The Dark Knight Rises for the first time just a few days ago and I think I can see why different ones didn't like it as it reminded me of anime shows like Code Geass with its over the top crazy nonsensical plot twists.

---

To me it stayed good, but it just wasn't AS good.

That's good to hear because I'm certainly quite liking it right now. You just bought the latest book that came out right? Have you had a chance to start reading it and if so what do you think of it? Without spoilers obviously, haha.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think Guilty Crown had an aura of pretentiousness that was reflected throughout the product in multiple ways and made all of its stupidity look worse.

Valvrave is stupid, but I don't feel that sort of aura. It's just really dumb entertainment with the melodrama, twists, etc. being another part of the formula.
The problem with both these shows isn't really the pretentiousness or the stupidity of the escalation, but that they always seem to be in SERIOUS BUSINESS mode. Code Geass was almost like everyone knew how stupid it was so they hammed it all the way up to eleven. Again, Lelouche.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 3

Yeah this was definitely a very low budget episode. Still, the backgrounds remain of high quality, and there were a couple very nice shots such as the scene overlooking the lake. And it was worth it all for the potatoes.
The last page of that scene in the manga is still funnier, but the part where he first notices her, and her tortured attempts to understand his question, were hilarious.
The sound effects really added a lot there, LOL. If there's one thing that has remained consistent it's the absolutely great sound design; it was also used really effectively during the scene where Berthold talks about his past. Turns out hiring an industry veteran like Masafumi Mima pays off.

This episode was very faithful to the manga, with a few added flourishes like
the trip to the lake.
Even with very little animation, it's still effective stuff, and Eren's frustration was palpable.

Based on the previews, next episode is
more training, including Annie.
It's also going to be another low-budget episode, LOL.

fertygo

I think Valvrave very self-aware on its stupidity, once again.

The first 14 minute of eps 2 was really fun with interesting scenario, before they goes back with terrible bland BETA stuff on last 4 minute. I hope they know which side that they gotta push more.

JCG

The problem with both these shows isn't really the pretentiousness or the stupidity of the escalation, but that they always seem to be in SERIOUS BUSINESS mode. Code Geass was almost like everyone knew how stupid it was so they hammed it all the way up to eleven. Again, Lelouche.

It would take too long to list all the other problems with Guilty Crown in particular, so I didn't try. But the misguided pretensions in and around the production are at the root of them.

I don't think Valvrave is really in a true SERIOUS BUSINESS mode though, especially not compared to GC.

But yes, the lack of a "Lelouch character" is an issue for several reasons (he was both more interesting and more entertaining).

Risette

A Good Citizen
Any good recent historical/fantasy/historical fantasy anime? I already saw Sword of the Stranger.

I don't really keep up with anime any more outside of some movies, but I've been in the mood to watch a historical or fantasy epic or a show with that type of setting. Something like Escaflowne or Twelve Kingdoms or Moribito. It seems a lot of shows are being made about the sengoku period of Japan, something I find really interesting, but then I find out the plot is something like "what if the daimyo were HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS" and it doesn't really capture my interest. Are there any recommendations of shows that fit my vague description from the past five or so years?
Not recent but Kenya Boy is a very good historical anime

madp

The Light of El Cantare
come on guys, I thought we agreed not to do troll recommendations.

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo 01:

The only reason that I watched this was because the first episode was available on my cable provider's Anime Network On Demand channel and I generally watch television while I exercise.

I've always hated detective shows with mystical elements because having plothax powers is inherently antithetical to what makes detective stories intriguing, and this was an incredibly standard spirit detective dealio. There's an angsty bishounen with a special red eye that lets him see spirits who died with regrets, and, well, I guess he charges college students a nominal fee to look into their unexplained supernatural shit. Why the spirits help him when there's really nothing in it for them, no clue. I guess being trapped in a hellish half-existence in a world that you can perceive but can't perceive you gives you nothing better to do.

The titular Yakumo also has some kind of connection to the local police force and makes sure to provide forensic evidence of his target's crimes before confronting them so that they can be apprehended, but it's ultimately no consolation when everything that leads up to this is Un-Go levels of playing incredibly fast and loose with doing real detective work. I'd drop this and never look back, but it's basically the only thing on the entire Anime Network On Demand channel that I haven't seen and doesn't warrant a more focused viewing experience, so whatever, I'll stick with it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom