• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Oreimo S2 - 03

f93I6DW.png
9FGG0Sx.png

:sdburton

Great episode. Now heading to bed. So sleepy. @_@

Ultimadrago

Oreimo S2 - 3

capturebhp51.png
capturefeseraxsvv.png

Left: Older sister.
Right: Saori~ (an angel of two different faces in and out of otaku form)

This episode was most appreciated as expected. A back story and birthday focused on the best girl. All is right with the world. I'm wondering if this season will even focus on an overarching narrative. I don't mind either way because it's doing more than fine as is.

I'm guessing Kaori more
fronted a condescending view towards Saori in order for her to not rely on her to gain and maintain friends
. It's not an uncommon interaction in anime, but fits well with the other relationships in-show. It also successfully explains Saori's character since the first season better (as her bond with friends was always put above all else). Now we see why she valued Kirino, Kuroneko and Kyou since the start.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I don't watch Oreimo, but based on screenshots, Saori looks smaller when not wearing her otaku getup. Anyone else notice or is I crazy?

Ultimadrago

I don't watch Oreimo, but based on screenshots, Saori looks smaller when not wearing her otaku getup. Anyone else notice or is I crazy?

If you're talking about mine, that's her sister on the left not her.

Though their faces are really similar. Her sister is shorter than (older) Saori, so maybe it's that? Also otaku tight jeans exaggerate height more than long skirts.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Karneval 01:

For you, DTL/dakku.

So, this started with an albino shota in handcuffs and still managed to be watchable. The relationship between the various factions and their motives are still totally nebulous, but I'll just have faith that this is resolved soon and for now I'll just keep watching for Tsukumo's eyes.

Thoraxes

They have a flashback/backstory of when she was younger in the ep. too (in which she is wearing her normal clothes).

JCG

It would be nice to finally have a reason to revive my waning interest in watching something made by Kyoto Animation, but I'm not going to make any huge bets on more FMP just yet. I'd definitely be very happy about that if it's actually true though, so we'll see what happens.

Attack on Titan 3

Still good. Not the kind of episode that needed a budget, so whatever to that, though the series of stills at one point was pretty jarring.

Gotta say, knowing recent events in the manga really makes going through the story again from the beginning interesting. I'm wondering if they added more foreshadowing or if it's always been there. Too lazy to go back and check.

CorvoSol

Betterman 4

Part with the man with the blowtorch creaking through the storage room and empty school after Hinoki was scary as hell. Part with a glowing tree telling Keita about the end of the world was just WUUUUT. On the whole the idea of a mecha horror show works for this show, except when Keita is on screen. Something about him just defuses the terror in any scene, plus he's the world's biggest loser and still friends with animu babetacular Hinoki.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[My Little Vagina Can't Possibly Be This Yuri.] 03
More LARPers? Didn't we have enough with Chuu2? :|

Episode was okay until the silly melodrama near the end. Further proof that otaku issues are lame and trite and awful. Fucking otakus. At least there was some :sdburton.

Ayase > VAGINA > Manami > Kuroneko > the loli > Kirino > the fujoshi
Azazel-san Z 3

The entire concept of this episode is hilarious. A dude that looks and talks all badass about his hemorrhoids is better than how Gintama handled the subject.
It sounds like something written by Hideo Kojima.

Defuser

My little sister can't possibly be dead last in best girl catergory ep 3

Bishoujou Saori <3

Kuroneko, Ayase, Saori and Manami. Turns out anybody that isn't Kirino is best character.

jgminto

One thing that's been bothering me about School Days, what's with that tagline on the title?
"In the school, the three guys met. Their relation had been changed in the season, and turned into three love stories."
How does that apply at all to school days?

Narag

One thing that's been bothering me about School Days, what's with that tagline on the title?
"In the school, the three guys met. Their relation had been changed in the season, and turned into three love stories."

Just assumed it was a bit of Engrish meant to punch up the boring title.

Mankoto has the sexual prowess of three men? Maybe three men gattai'd to make him?

Noirulus

Work hard to pander to me, Maou-sama! - 02 & 03

Forgice me if I'm judging it too early, but this has officially stepped into the ranks of all the other insipid romcom anime. All the positive reception from anime-GAF might have towered my expectations for this show but I'm utterly puzzled as to why it's been so well-received here. The premise was very interesting, but the show does not capitalize on it at all, and the characters are shallow (or perhaps misrepresented might be a better description, but more on this later). The only genuine praise I can shower is that it's consistent at being slightly above average, and generally has good pacing outside of the first episode.

I wouldn't be having such a hard time handing compliments if the characters were true to their role. Maou is a demon king. He's supposed to be a ruthless, unsympathetic person no? Yet on earth he's represented as a happy-go-lucky, softhearted gentleman. Now, as if this dumbfounding sudden revelation wasn't confusing enough, he later proclaims to Emilia that his new objective is to take over the entire world and also reclaim the world he came from!

Now, I'm not exactly expecting plenty of realism from a shounen romcom, but what the fuck is this bullshit? How can you expect me to take the characters seriously with such a stupendously illogical development? I'd be more than pleased with the show if it weren't for this huge disconnect.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

ssssssshhhhhhh don't say anything or MAL will edit the title.

Speaking of which, here are some more title "enhancements" that I noticed on my list recently:

nGE2EeD.png
yd7gQug.png
v3gcMku.png

Shame on MAL for taking so long to deliver some titles from the yoke of our barbarian tongue.

Planning to watch it after I finish Persona 4 The Animation.

Just curious but what is the general GAF consensus on Persona 4 anyway?
I'll be looking forward to it!
K-ON! - 11

Oh man this episode was tough on my OTP. Ritsu's tryhard attempts to get Mio's attention were tough to watch and at times I literally had to pause to get over the awkwardness of the scene at hand. My girl has it bad for Mio!

Second part was fuck awesome with some reeeeally tender moments between the two. I wished Mio would've checked Ritsu's temperature by touching their foreheads together, but at least I got some handholding.
Truth be told, this is one of my favorites from the first season. It really shows how close Mio and Ritsu really are, and how not only does Mio rely on Ritsu a lot, but Ritsu also depends on Mio as well.

Narag

ssssssshhhhhhh don't say anything or MAL will edit the title.

Speaking of which, here are some more title "enhancements" that I noticed on my list recently:
Shame on MAL for taking so long to deliver some titles from the yoke of our barbarian tongue.

Checking mine I see:

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Sailor 9 Senshi Shuuketsu! Black Dream Hole no Kiseki
Dragon Age: Blood Mage no Seisen
Eiken: Eikenbu yori Ai wo Komete
Glass no Kantai: La Legende du Vent de l'Univers

ibhMWFcRbJGoDV.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Work hard to pander to me, Maou-sama! - 02 & 03

Forgice me if I'm judging it too early, but this has officially stepped into the ranks of all the other insipid romcom anime. All the positive reception from anime-GAF might have towered my expectations for this show but I'm utterly puzzled as to why it's been so well-received here. The premise was very interesting, but the show does not capitalize on it at all, and the characters are shallow (or perhaps misrepresented might be a better description, but more on this later). The only genuine praise I can shower is that it's consistent at being slightly above average, and generally has good pacing outside of the first episode.

I wouldn't be having such a hard time handing compliments if the characters were true to their role. Maou is a demon king. He's supposed to be a ruthless, unsympathetic person no? Yet on earth he's represented as a happy-go-lucky, softhearted gentleman. Now, as if this dumbfounding sudden revelation wasn't confusing enough, he later proclaims to Emilia that his new objective is to take over the entire world and also reclaim the world he came from!

Now, I'm not exactly expecting plenty of realism from a shounen romcom, but what the fuck is this bullshit? How can you expect me to take the characters seriously with such a stupendously illogical development? I'd be more than pleased with the show if it weren't for this huge disconnect.
It's a reversal of roles.

On one hand you have the Demon Overlord who is known for doing bad stuff, but deep down he's an extremely practical and realistic guy. He understands that there's no point to going around grandstanding if he doesn't have his magic or an army, so he doesn't bother.

On the other hand, you have the Hero, who is supposed to be a leader and icon for the people. But she's plagued by insecurity and is unable to accept her powerlessness. She believes so steadfastly in her ideals that she can't even conceive of the Overlord being anything other than the manifestation of evil.

In a "typical" RPG fantasy story, it's the other way around, because the hero usually hails from humble origins while the villain is irrevocably corrupt or whatever. But Emiliya is finally starting to understand that the Overlord isn't a truly bad person deep down, and that understanding shows just how petty and arrogant her lofty attitude really is. This is almost the same setup as Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, where Hero is initially unable to understand Demon King's request to work together. He gets over that hurdle immediately, whereas here it seems like it'll take Emiliya the entire series to realize this.

Narag

I looked at the Glass Fleet page a few weeks ago and it's been hit with the weeb stick for a while but that subtitle is recent. fuck's sake

Marimo no Hana: Saikyou Butouha Shougakusei Densetsu
One Piece: Episode of Nami - Koukaishi no Namida to Nakama no Kizuna
Pokemon Advanced Generation: Mew to Hadou no Yuusha Lucario

then there's this:
Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-Falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then...
:lol

Articalys

Again, surprised no one posted this yet, unless you all already saw the news and figured the rest of the people did as well.

The new Rozen Maiden series coming this summer has all the main seiyuu returning -- Sawashiro as Shinku, Rie Tanaka as Suigintou, etc. -- along with a new seiyuu listed for a differently aged Jun, suggesting that they might be using the second manga series plot as a springboard for the new anime...

Oh, and they're bringing in the Sankarea director and character designer, Ali Project is still doing the OP, and it's being animated by Studio DEEN now. Just so you know.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...den-anime-reunites-cast-brings-in-studio-deen

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Flowers of Evil] 02
That's supposed to be a girl. What the hell. And while we are on bad art, not only do we have bad art with a lack of distinct facial features, but there are moments when the art just stops and, because of no mouth flaps, it looks like the screen froze over. I had to recheck my player to make sure Crunchyroll wasn't crashing on me.

Show is pretty boss otherwise. They totally nailed the feelings of isolation and self-guilt in here, and even the actor playing Takao manages to come across as an overbearing middle school dipshit despite the obvious age discrepancy. Really, it's just the side characters who look like bad J-Drama rejects. The main cast is fine.
Do you understand Baudelaire, shit eaters?

Again, surprised no one posted this yet, unless you all already saw the news and figured the rest of the people did as well.

The new Rozen Maiden series coming this summer has all the main seiyuu returning -- Sawashiro as Shinku, Rie Tanaka as Suigintou, etc. -- along with a new seiyuu listed for a differently aged Jun, suggesting that they might be using the manga's restart as a springboard for the new anime...

Oh, and it's being animated by DEEN now. Just so you know.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...den-anime-reunites-cast-brings-in-studio-deen

I didn't mention because I've never seen Rozen Maiden, but now that I know Miyukichi's in it I'll probably get to it eventually.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Marimo no Hana: Saikyou Butouha Shougakusei Densetsu
One Piece: Episode of Nami - Koukaishi no Namida to Nakama no Kizuna
Pokemon Advanced Generation: Mew to Hadou no Yuusha Lucario

then there's this:
Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-Falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then...
:lol

Going through my list, here are changes that have to have occurred in the past couple of weeks:

• Animation Runner Kuromi -> Animation_Seisaku_Shinkou_Kuromi-chan
  • Geobreeders 2 -> Geobreeders_2:_Mouryou_Yuugekitai_File-XX_Ransen_Toppa
  • Geobreeders -> Geobreeders:_File-X_Chibi_Neko_Dakkan
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse -> Shoujo_Kakumei_Utena:_Adolescence_Mokushiroku
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann OVA -> Tengen_Toppa_Gurren_Lagann:_Mitee_Mono_wa_Miteen_da!!
  • Cooking Master Boy -> Chuuka_Ichiban!
  • Blue Comet SPT Layzner -> Aoki_Ryuusei_SPT_Layzner
  • Legend of the Legendary Heroes -> Densetsu_no_Yuusha_no_Densetsu
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes -> Ginga_Eiyuu_Densetsu

that last one is just offensive.

edit: derp, I was lazy and copied the JP names from the page URLs so sorry about the underscores.

wonzo

Banned
oreimo 2 3

oreimos23.jpg

Y'know, a series about Saori slowly coming out of her shell thanks to her sister and her circle would've been far more interesting than the current series she's stuck in.

what a shame

Noirulus

It's a reversal of roles.

On one hand you have the Demon Overlord who is known for doing bad stuff, but deep down he's an extremely practical and realistic guy. He understands that there's no point to going around grandstanding if he doesn't have his magic or an army, so he doesn't bother.

On the other hand, you have the Hero, who is supposed to be a leader and icon for the people. But she's plagued by insecurity and is unable to accept her powerlessness. She believes so steadfastly in her ideals that she can't even conceive of the Overlord being anything other than the manifestation of evil. '

In a "typical" RPG fantasy story, it's the other way around, because the hero usually hails from humble origins while the villain is irrevocably corrupt or whatever. But Emiliya finally starting to understand that the Overlord isn't a truly bad person deep down, which shows just how petty her lofty attitude really is. This is almost the same setup as Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, where Hero is initially unable to understand Demon King's request to work together. He gets over that hurdle a lot faster, whereas here it seems like it'll take Emiliya the entire series to realize this.

I understand his focus on being practical and realistic, but his new nature struck me as far more of a genuinely nice fellow than a tyrannical demon king would need to be. I think It'd have helped my enjoyment of the show if his character was more subdued than it currently is. As it is, it strongly peeves the cynic inside me because it seems more than a little contrived that he's your typical nice guy protagonist when all the preamble would have you believe that he'd be anything but that.

Anyway, It could be that I'm just being annoyingly nitpicky, but I'm hoping at the very least that there's slightly more clarification in the future pertaining to the type of person he was during his rule of the world he came from.

Defuser

Hentai Ouji ep 2

U73U2S4.jpg

Azuki Asuza is just so Maru. Expected of one of my top newcomer favourite Kaori Ishihara.

I was just thinking, isn't Yokodera more perverted because his buddy lose his lust thus the lust went to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom