• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Even with only two seconds of screen time, Regina is already the most otaku pander character in the entire franchise solely in terms of design and cadence. If seasons weren't already planned out months in advance I'd like to think that this is some kind of desperation tactic given that Dokidoki is (relatively) bombing in ratings.

This isn't really surprising to me if you consider DokiDoki's focus and the ratings of the last show, Smile. Smile's lowest rating phases came right with, and after, serious story episodes, with the comedic ones generally doing better. Dokidoki is more story focused, even if still episodic, so, lower ratings aren't surprising.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Why is his name spelled "Briman" in Japanese? o_o

Briman_zps84371a7e.jpg

I think that was supposed to be a ヤ, not a マ, not a so it would be Buraiyan, I think

The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyosuke 9

Ending: Song was fine, it actually fit very well with how the episode ended.

And the army betrays Andy just about as expected.

The ship is a loss caused, no matter how much Hyoubu desperately tried to protect it. Him pulling that sword move was kinda cool though not really effective unlike blowing everything up like in the past effortlessly. The director is an asshole after what he did to Yugiri; Andy or Hyoubu better pay him back good when either one of them see him again.

Theonik

Gargantia - 3

In regards to previous comments about this episode, I think the whole "don't kill them" business was done really well.

First off, the people on the Gargantia aren't hypocrites with the way they fight back. With what I saw in this episode, the technology the gargantia people have is just a little below the pirates. That or it's difference in skill level, I'm not sure. The point is, they have enough power to stand their ground for a limited period of time.

With the killing morale business, the Gargantia people don't want to kill, but they will fight to defend themselves, even though there might be some unwanted casualties.

What pissed them off about Ledo was the fact that he could have easily defeated the pirates without needless killing. There was also the fact that he did it with absolutley no emotion like taking a life was nothing.

It's about peace and equality. The Gargantians don't want to suppressed by the strong, but they also don't want to force power over the weak. Therefore Ledo must suppress his ultimate powers to an extent. This is the kind of human conflict that makes a good story with how the main character deals with controlling his power. How far exactly Ledo will deal with that is yet to be seen,
but in any case, I'm certainly up for more. Great episode.

Also, how can people complain about the show being dull when the description of the series clearly states it's about a space-marine-esque soldier discovering the meaning of peace? If anything people should be glad there's as little action as it is!
Needless? How do you suppose he was going to take out those pirates in the salvage vessel? It's not like he killed every pirate. Had he done that this episode wouldn't have happened. There were clearly survivors that told the pirate queen what had happened. The point of the hypocrisy is that the Gargantians have no actual problem with fighting and killing pirates they were just mad at Ledo for doing that which is just stupid because had he dealt with them any other way many more people would have died in needlessly drawn out combat.

Doki Doki Precure 11

I'm a little late on this one. It's a shame since this episode was quite good with almost no problems in term of pacing , footage or plot.
DokiDokiPrecure_11.jpg

Maybe but not every minute of the day like you.
More obvious things happens like the bad guys being a little more direct in their plans , like new powers and a big confirmation ( if needed ) that Ai is the walking cheat mode of this season ..i wonder how long will the bad guys take to notice and try to take care of that ... Hopefully not long given by their past record since the old guy seems more cunning and intelligent than the rest.

she has a pretty character design. Whoever that is. Which PRecure show is that?

Smile precure .. the girl is the school teacher for the 5 heroines.

Theonik

Attack on Titan Episode 3 – A Dim Light in the Darkness of Despair - Humanity Rises Again (1)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/148f49035ce58e63b751012546bd28e3/tumblr_mlme9bocTm1rkuc5no1_500.gif

Still am a bit baffled at how they treat Eren, as the lead character in this series, it doesnt really make sense that certain other characters is consistently given the preferential treatment, shouldnt it be the other way around. He even embodies the idea of having guts with no talent, perseverance, determination, and good spirit. So yeah
Though it did feel good when Eren did eventually get the hang of it on the third try there, but defective equipment, that seems a bit odd. Anyway hope for the best for him in the future

Connie is the best of the bunch introduced so far and easily my second favorite character after Eren, and he even got a good voice, Syo Kurusu (utaPri). Jean as well. I cant wait to see the rest of the task finally get a mission and take out these foes, they are all at least compelling and can already feel attached to quite a few.

Vocal insert song was excellent, would like the ost.
About the faulty equipment, I would bet actual money it was that blonde guy who wanted to be a royal guard. It's pretty obvious he wanted to get rid of Eren to get the girl. I don't think Eren lacks talent either, it's clear by how easy he balanced after he got his gear fixed that he could have done it from the start. He even managed to do it with dodgy gear.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This isn't really surprising to me if you consider DokiDoki's focus and the ratings of the last show, Smile. Smile's lowest rating phases came right with, and after, serious story episodes, with the comedic ones generally doing better. Dokidoki is more story focused, even if still episodic, so, lower ratings aren't surprising.

Same thing happened with Suite and for the same reasons. Barring a huge overhaul or completely shelving the franchise in favor of Sailor Moon, I guess we can probably expect a Heartcatch/Smile-like series next year. Hopefully Toei learned their lesson this time (lol as if)

cajunator

Banned

I figured as such with the eye designs. Smile is such a pleasing show to look at, except for Akanbe.

Typing is my biggest problem on my phone.

They don't even know their own Katakana.

Same here. I hate typing on mobile but I have to do it often. Thats one reason why I don't respond to more than one page at a time. It doesnt save the multi-quote selections past one page for osme reason so I get a blank screen when I try to reply. Its infuriating.
First world problems.

Tenumi

Banned
Oh happy days!

Grrr... wish I had the extra money laying around for some anime hauls. I need a job first, not for lack of trying.

Also, I need to get back to watching YuruYuri. Enjoyed the first 5 episodes, then forgot to watch it for a couple months. Think I'm gonna start that one over...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Gargantia]
And it really bothers me how people are totally cool with
the concept of massive genocide. The characters in this show are somehow more human than the people watching it.
The problem with what you are trying to postulate here is that we are dealing with pirates, not races.

cajunator

Banned
Grrr... wish I had the extra money laying around for some anime hauls. I need a job first, not for lack of trying.

Also, I need to get back to watching YuruYuri. Enjoyed the first 5 episodes, then forgot to watch it for a couple months. Think I'm gonna start that one over...

YuruYuri should have gotten licensed. Crime of the century.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Guys, Regina looks conspicuously Anglo-Saxon and even has a gaijin name but knows about the Precure and speaks perfect Japanese. What if Dokidoki takes place in the future of the Smile universe and she's Brian and Akane's daughter who was possessed by Nao's selifishness after getting NTR'd?!?

About the faulty equipment, I would bet actual money it was that blonde guy who wanted to be a royal guard. It's pretty obvious he wanted to get rid of Eren to get the girl. I don't think Eren lacks talent either, it's clear by how easy he balanced after he got his gear fixed that he could have done it from the start. He even managed to do it with dodgy gear.

I hope thats the case, would make me feel much better about things.

duckroll

Needless? How do you suppose he was going to take out those pirates in the salvage vessel? It's not like he killed every pirate. Had he done that this episode wouldn't have happened. There were clearly survivors that told the pirate queen what had happened. The point of the hypocrisy is that the Gargantians have no actual problem with fighting and killing pirates they were just mad at Ledo for doing that which is just stupid because had he dealt with them any other way many more people would have died in needlessly drawn out combat.

Dude, look at the number of people he killed (everyone in red):

He only missed that ONE guy (it's the SAME guy in ep3, dripping wet because he swam back LOL) because he fell off the ship before he got laser tagged:

Conclusion: Theonik is a sicko who advocates mass murder.

Steroyd

Knowing anime, his name is supposed to be Briman and that they just misspelled it when they translated it into English.

It's supposed to be Brian because he's British, can't you tell with the blonde hair and blue eyes?

Or is that American... meh same difference.

YuruYuri should have gotten licensed. Crime of the century.
Agreed.!!

i bet they can't license it because they can't see the main heroine !

Akarin ~ !
Guys, Regina looks conspicuously Anglo-Saxon and even has a gaijin name but knows about the Precure and speaks perfect Japanese. What if Dokidoki takes place in the future of the Smile universe and she's Brian and Akane's daughter who was possessed by Nao's selifishness after getting NTR'd?!?

NTR ? Why ?

Where is the "please don't sexualise precures" pic ?

Theonik

Dude, look at the number of people he killed (everyone in red):

He only missed that ONE guy (it's the SAME guy in ep3, dripping wet because he swam back LOL) because he fell off the ship before he got laser tagged:

Conclusion: Theonik is a sicko who advocates mass murder.
It was necessary, if he just wanted to kill the pirates he could have gotten every single one of them. (like he got the ones in the friendly boat), do you propose there was a better way to resolve that situation that wouldn't involve heavy casualties on his side?

MJP 2

Boring episode, the sponsorship jokes fell flat and it's hard to get behind the MJPs when they have almost no emotion in every single scene.

Steroyd

It was necessary, if he just wanted to kill the pirates he could have gotten every single one of them. (like he got the ones in the friendly boat), do you propose there was a better way to resolve that situation that wouldn't involve heavy casualties on his side?

Set phasors to stun?

duckroll

He wanted to kill the pirates and he DID get every single one of them. The ONLY guy who survived is a guy who fell into the sea before he got zapped, because the ship was capsizing due to other people on the ship being zapped. There are over 30 pirates. I think there are about 22 simultaneous lasers from Chamber at any one time. Yes, I counted. This means he needs to reload after firing one wave, before he took out the rest with the second wave. Between these blasts we saw the guy fall into the sea. We know that Chamber has either poor underwater detection or none at all, going by episode 3. So it wasn't that Ledo let him go, he just missed him.

There are a variety of better ways to handle the situation without killing 30-40 people in an instant honestly. Simply killing the guys who were actually threatening the hostages would probably be enough to get the rest to run. What Ledo did was definitely excessive force.

Soma

Gargantia Episode 03

Hah. That last line.

This was good!

I kept waiting for the moment these characters would make a stupid contrived decision or something but I was ultimately very impressed at how the entire situation was handled. The second half was great with some nice action scenes (I think I'm one of the only people who isn't bothered by the CG) and I burst out laughing at
Lukkage being slingshotted into the distance. Very Team Rocket-esque.
. A lot of the concern for me was whether or not the writers would be able to conclude the situation well enough but after this episode I'm pretty convinced that this is still a very well written show and I'm excited to see where this goes next.

Definitely a favorite of the season so far.

Taruranto

Radar waves are absorbed by sea water. Rendering them pretty much useless beyond a few feet below water.

I dunno, what about the other sensors? He could scan the whole Gargantia fleet + the pirate crew in 5 minutes but he couldn't pick activity underwater? It just doesn't sit well with me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ledo should just enslave the Gargantian population under the threat of auto-aim noscope lasers. Hell he could probably enslave all of Earth if he could keep that thing powered. They could turn this into a Heart of Darkness sorta deal where he becomes Kurtz and his space buddies eventually find him on earth. Rogue soldier enslaves underdeveloped planet that just so happens to be humanity's birthplace.

Would watch.

I dunno, what about the other sensors? He could scan the whole Gargantia fleet + the pirate crew in 5 minutes but he couldn't pick activity underwater? It just doesn't sit well with me.

I don't know what other sensors the mech has but I think its safe to say that since it was made for space combat its not going to have reliable sensors for detecting things underwater.

Theonik

He wanted to kill the pirates and he DID get every single one of them. The ONLY guy who survived is a guy who fell into the sea before he got zapped, because the ship was capsizing due to other people on the ship being zapped. There are over 30 pirates. I think there are about 22 simultaneous lasers from Chamber at any one time. Yes, I counted. This means he needs to reload after firing one wave, before he took out the rest with the second wave. Between these blasts we saw the guy fall into the sea. We know that Chamber has either poor underwater detection or none at all, going by episode 3. So it wasn't that Ledo let him go, he just missed him.

There are a variety of better ways to handle the situation without killing 30-40 people in an instant honestly. Simply killing the guys who were actually threatening the hostages would probably be enough to get the rest to run. What Ledo did was definitely excessive force.
There is also an equally high probability that the pirates would have panicked and shot back potentially injuring or killing innocent people. They weren't about to negotiate either because they thought they had the upper hand.
Conclusion: Ledo rules Gargantians are dumb.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If Kiniro Mosaic becomes a hit, that's the next thing they'll do.

Also isn't Negima the magical version of that anyway.

I forgot a "not" I don't want them to be pinching my idea.

Also I looked up that Negima and the brief overview doesn't seem to be at all like my idea. For one, the character is a teacher, whereas my idea involves an exchange student. Also it's less about him trying to fit in/get the respect of other but more the rest of the class coping with an obnoxious Brit who doesn't give a toss.

Only problem is that this is literally a one gag idea that probably only last two pages at most.

So I guess I better stretch it out by making it a 4koma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom