• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
No. Keep that wideface filth out of Type-Moon stuff.

Bfr391x.jpg

Now you're just asking for it!

faridmon

Always thought this one was about high school kids in show business.

Its post-High School and the whole environment, and especially work environment is geared towards Mature storytelling. Yes, there is some Shojou elements to be had, but overall, I think it could be targeted at Jusei ideography without any problem.

The most unique and fun females kissing females can be found in Simoun. Simoun is wonderful. Not wonderfully drawn mind you, but wonderful anyway.

I uh...

yeah, I liked Simoun a lot. OST gave me a lot of feels too.

Also TYPE-MOON wideface infection is the most amusing thing I've seen since yesterday. They should totally run that if they make another Carnival Phantasm.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[THE EVIL FLOWERS] 03

AWKWARD

Which means this show is doing its job. Well done, Nagahama.
As a random aside, there weirdest throw away gag in Attack on Titan episode 3 was definitely the Evangelion reference. Just bizarre:
If you are gonna steal from someone, you better do it from the best.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Heartcatch Precure 01-03:

Pros:
- Good setup
- Good characters
- Decent animation/expressions

Cons
- Deliberate flat/weightless art style
- Tuxedo Mask-esque character
- Music not quite as catchy

The art style is definitely deliberate and has some good expressions, but I'm not a huge fan of the very flat styling. It gives the characters no sense of weight, they never feel like gravity is ever an obstacle. I also dislike the inclusion of a Tuxedo Mask wannabe, as I never liked him in Sailor Moon either. It really detracts from the whole magical girl setup where some random dude's gotta step in and save the main girl from herself 'cause she's just so darned clumsy esp. at the start, a pitfall which Smile Precure thankfully never fell into.

However the characters are enjoyable, and it will be interesting to see how they keep the dynamic interesting with just two Precures (granted, that's moreso the norm for Precure as I understand it, so I'm an outlier starting with Smile).

Pooya

Possibly, although that's kind of how people sit on stairs. Meanwhile, the one in the third episode is extremely deliberate.

yeah, but the kind of themes going on in the story, it immediately comes to mind, I think new evidence suggests clearly something deliberate happening though!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Pros:
- Good setup
- Good characters
- Decent animation/expressions

Cons
- Deliberate flat/weightless art style
- Tuxedo Mask-esque character

The art style is definitely deliberate and has some good expressions, but I'm not a huge fan of the very flat styling. It gives the characters no sense of weight, they never feel like gravity is ever an obstacle. I also dislike the inclusion of a Tuxedo Mask wannabe, as I never liked him in Sailor Moon either. It really detracts from the whole magical girl setup where some random dude's gotta step in and save the main girl from herself 'cause she's just so darned clumsy esp. at the start, a pitfall which Smile Precure thankfully never fell into.

However the characters are enjoyable, and it will be interesting to see how they keep the dynamic interesting with just two Precures (granted, that's moreso the norm for Precure as I understand it, so I'm an outlier starting with Smile).

D8

Branduil

It can still be amazing/"amazing" if it uses kaijuu suits and scale models instead of CG, but we all know that'll never happen.

It's going to look terrible no matter what due to the necessity of titan/human interaction. The only way it could "work" in live-action is in a high-budget Hollywood film.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Cons
You will eat your words.

Mysterious guy is a lot less prominent than in Sailor Moon, to be fair. Also the payoff with that character is great.

I guess Umakoshi's style is not for everyone, but his character designs will shine through in the battle choreography. Hopefully you will learn to like them at that level.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Just my impressions so far. It's not like I'm dropping the show.

You will eat your words.

Mysterious guy is a lot less prominent than in Sailor Moon, to be fair. Also the payoff with that character is great.

I guess Umakoshi's style is not for everyone, but his character designs will shine through in the battle choreography. Hopefully you will learn to like them at that level.

Well so long as it's not as frequent as in Sailor Moon I guess that'll be alright, esp. if there's a payoff for that in the long run. I hope I end up liking his style more in this than I did in Saint Seiya Omega. It's not a BAD style, and I can see why people like it, it's just not my thing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well so long as it's not as frequent as in Sailor Moon I guess that'll be alright, esp. if there's a payoff for that in the long run. I hope I end up liking his style more in this than I did in Saint Seiya Omega. It's not a BAD style, and I can see why people like it, it's just not my thing.
Did you have similar problems with Doremi? That's if you have watched it, of course.

JCG

It's not like the movement of the mecha of Code Geass was ever grounded like in VOTOMs. Admittedly the CG in Akito allows for even more exaggerated movement but it's well in line with what came before.

Well, that last part is in fact my point. It's exaggerated since in Code Geass Akito even the early robots can do such stunts as opposed to the more unique models. The video you posted doesn't have a Glasgow jumping around, for example, but only special units like the Lancelot or Guren and other machines with higher performance. I wasn't claiming there were no acrobatics before.

Not to mention that Akito is actually more like a return to form, after R2 battles ventured into Gundam territory... IMO

Basically, yes. Having more ground battles is quite nice. I'm definitely on that side of the fence too.

Dresden

The Evangelion tributes/comparisons are only going to get more overt as we go. That shot miladesn posted, for example, is rife with insinuations about further twists. :p

Hayate no gotoku cuties - 03
This was pretty much a 1:1 manga to anime adaptation, same jokes , same thing , same characters.

It was alright.

Alice is a nice character ..but the fact that anime only viewer are missing the entire plot arc regarding her circustances, motives and past activites should probably make her hollow.
Rest assured everyone ! She is great.

Pooya

What about:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/1d86b8e5126fa234c6dd1ad9f68a0dd7/tumblr_ml93epoFXw1rqyzc2o1_400.gif[/img[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/374bf81016577f66482fb97c496fe984/tumblr_ml93epoFXw1rqyzc2o2_400.gif[/img[/quote]

good spot!

[quote="Dresden, post: 54942468"]The Evangelion tributes/comparisons are only going to get more overt as we go. That shot miladesn posted, for example, is rife with insinuations about further twists. :p[/quote]

lol, I see I wasn't being delusional.

Jex

What about:
tumblr_ml93epoFXw1rqyzc2o1_400.gif
tumblr_ml93epoFXw1rqyzc2o2_400.gif

A number of monster movies and robot shows feature very similar shots of big, heavy things crushing into the ground e.g.

battlerobo2.jpg

As such, I'd normally write it off because it really could be a coincidence but as it's so similar and when coupled with everything else it forms a pattern.

Mature

As such, I'd normally write it off because it really could be a coincidence but as it's so similar and when coupled with everything else it forms a pattern.
Notably the left tree placement and the small structure breaking apart on the right in both are the giveaways to the shot being an homage.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
A number of monster movies and robot shows feature very similar shots of big, heavy things crushing into the ground e.g.

battlerobo2.jpg

The gifs are even timed well the second time it runs through!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom