• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Evangelion] - 3.3333333

Everything about this movie feels like god-awful fan fiction. From the mechanical designs, the character designs, to the script and the story itself. A movie about nothing.

Is the true face of Anno's trolling?

Your killing me man. 1.0 and 2.0 were so good though. Where are you watching btw?

Kazzy

[Evangelion] - 3.3333333

Everything about this movie feels like god-awful fan fiction. From the mechanical designs, the character designs, to the script and the story itself. A movie about nothing.

Is the true face of Anno's trolling?

I can't wait.

Your killing me man. 1.0 and 2.0 were so good though. Where are you watching btw?

1.0 was okay, 2.0 was more interesting, just by sheer virtue of not slavishly adhering to the original. Something which would never do it any favours.

Tenumi

Banned
Man, all this talk of Rebuild 3.33 makes me want to watch it soon, but I'm too used to the English voices...

Chihayafuru Season 1: 02

Man, Taichi is a jerk as a kid.
Though honestly, I see where he gets it from. His mother make me watch to punch her.
Once again, even with all the hype and praise, I'm actually a little impressed so far with this series.

7Th

Remember how Pioneer's tapes used the non-credit version of a show's opening as the "trailer" and called it a day? I was pretty surprised when I saw what the actual show was like after watching this a bunch of times.

Fake advertisement at its finest.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Quite.

I really hope no-one watches Rebuild before the series because the way it explains and discusses some of the core plot elements is pretty dumb, both in terms of the delivery (info dumping vs. interpreting the evidence) and the actual content of the material. Ugh.

That explains why I partially didn't like it

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just bought Akira bluray at a reasonable price since it's OOP and when it arrived today it came in a steelbook with DVD and Bluray. Turns out it's the UK version and therefore it's locked to Region B. Very salty at the situation.
Quick check on Amazon UK and you can get this for £30. Hope you didn't pay over that if you thought you were buying something that is OOP.

Defuser

YS0OsPu.jpg

Pirate boob lady is 19 years old? Wtf. I thought her and Ridget should be older than that.

Jex

I'm genuinely saddened that some people will be experting a number of the mysteries from the original series explained away through the story of Rebuild because it's probably the least interesting way to experience them. Obviously the original works still exist, but it kind of detracts from a number of things that made that work interesting, especially if they're discussed via info-dumps.

/XX/

I've been doing other things and am now something like 15 to 20 pages behind but I thought I'd post in the thread to say Happy Birthday to ZachKoromaru.
Happy Birthday, ZachDeKoromaru!

haven't been keeping up with the thread,
any reviews of the Steins;Gate movie yet?
I read a couple of days ago some impressions coming from AnimeSuki's Klashikari...

I'm just coming out of a showing of the Steins;Gate movie.

I obviously won't spoil it for those of you waiting for the home release, but I'll just say that while it was alright, it felt terribly unnecessary to me. At least we get see those characters one more time, I guess!

I'd upload a pic of that nice poster signed by the staff I saw at the theater but I'm on my iPhone and I have no effing clue how lel
... but I see we also have some in here! Thanks for them, Jubern.

She's a girl at heart.
Then there is a route in the VN for you!

This was a lot of fun just like every other old shin-chan movie I've seen. There was a surprising amount of nice actions scenes in that. In particular the musical battle finale thing at the end was really nice. Also I'm pretty sure this movie has one of the best toilets in all of anime.

http://i.imgur.com/hQEOlB4.png
Loved the contributions by Shin-chan's 'old guard' member Yoshihiko Takakura on this one (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46856004&postcount=2879). His moderately frenzy and without part of that movement roughness in the animation work is also one valid way to go for the series as some episodes demonstrates, even if those episodes are not as celebrated as others...

That chromatic aberration had me reaching for my 3D glasses for a bit.
I found this a nice touch actually, trying to replicate that kind-of 'underwater port' effect.

Fans of animation should check out this amazing trailer for the comic book Kairos by the French studio La Cachette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoU0jwUDq74.
It is nice to see GOBELINS, l'école de l'image talent that keeps making their way at many places, they always end up shining elsewhere through and through, across all difficulties.

I'm genuinely saddened that some people will be experting a number of the mysteries from the original series explained away through the story of Rebuild because it's probably the least interesting way to experience them. Obviously the original works still exist, but it kind of detracts from a number of things that made that work interesting, especially if they're discussed via info-dumps.

I just want to see badass mech fights and maybe some despair. That's why I expect to like Reubild more than the tv show.

/XX/

-Trigger has no say in determining if a Panty & Stocking sequel ever exists; that's Gainax's choice.
Yeah, that clarified part of what Mr. Ōtsuka implied in the first interview:

As Hideaki Anno with Evangelion, will you get back some of the copyrights of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Gurren Lagann? Are you still on good terms with Gainax?
Everyone owns the copyright in respect of the script, the directing, etc., ever since the time of Gainax. I would like to continue to maintain a good relationship with the studio Gainax, in order to help each other.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34170416#post34170416

I (and many) at first thought, seeing his words, that the GEEKS alone could maybe make it... in case they really wanted to, of course.

Silly giant your suppose to take off the cap first, not just bite it off!

Outlived my usefulness on this particular thread. I know when I am not wanted. So im gone from this thread. Its better for my sanity and the rest of the posters here.
What? That usefulness only goes as far as you want it to go, so it is impossible to outlive it without your own consent. And you don't even need to abandon this place ever, anyway... damn, why people needs to be so drastic? Just follow the advises from your peers here and all is good!

I currently stalk LoLGAF. Yep.
Wait, where is your 'post title' counter? And don't tell me it's because you aren't planning to post here regularly from now on...

Faux means false or fake. There's nothing fake about Miyazaki's attitudes.
Attitudes that sometimes seem so stubbornly idealistic they are endearing! Maybe he relived those Japanese student protests from the late-60s in the process.

His efforts in designing the Nibariki's (二馬力) 'Pig House' taking advantage of efficient materials highlight that as well (http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/yamadaar/A9_1.htm), even the Citroën 2CV shown there (that precisely gives its name to Nibariki) is still a champion in comparatively low gas consumptions for an automobile.

Kazzy

I made my peace with that aspect of Rebuild, back when 1.0 pretty much let a huge revelation slip without much incident.
In reference to Adam.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They're actually pretty short when you compare them to other older characters on the show.

Yeah I know, but since you usually see Brock in comparison to Misty and Ash he looks older than he is. Also he is far more responsible than your average 15 year old and no 15 year old has the genius to turn their trusty frying pan into a drying pan.

Also I'm sure there must be some sort of employment rules that you have to be at least 18 before you can run your own gym. I mean with kids about they need adult supervision. 15 != adult.

kayos90

Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo

I'm not going to post in the primary eva thread cuz I dont' want to get bashed by multiple hardcore eva fanatics. Plus I'd rather be surrounded by people who know me than not.

Personally, I didn't think this movie was very good. I would say the breakdown of the movie is so concrete that there you can actually see the segmentation. It's extremely jarring. It's like watching the stereotypical chickflick segmentation right before your eyes. Rather than seamlessly weave you into the experience, I felt like they had multiple ideas set up and then tried to sow them together to make one narrative/movie. It's unwieldy.

This is mostly going to be story by the way. I found the movie extremely boring. It's hard to care about a character, in this case Shinji, who sort of regressed back to his confused state, proceeds to make mistakes time and time again, and self-pity himself. It's painful. However, this isn't even the worst part. Having watched
Gargantia episode 3 and this sort of around the same time frame made me realize how stupid everyone's anger is. While justified that everyone has the right to be angry with Shinji I find it idiotic. He went to go save Aynami in 2.22 and then ended up causing the Third Impact without his knowledge. You are adults. You have a right to be angry with how things turned out. Hell, I'd be angry too. To vent it on someone who was technically responsible but didn't mean to cause the Third Impact with all of its atrocities is another thing. I think it's easy to pin the blame and target on Shinji. I feel extremely sorry for him because he was trying to do something right and ended up getting shafted for it. Misato and Asuka as a result suck in this movie. I'm sure others will disagree and try to rationalize their behavior. I have too. I understand their point. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

I think the part that annoyed me the most about this movie was that it was massive infodump. You know when you're watching like a series and sometimes there's that one episode delegated to infodumping? Like... in Legend of Korra, that penultimate episode was a super infodump? This movie felt like that. I don't know... something about that was just offputting. Rather than slowly easing in the audience to learning stuff, this movie is sort of a just "here's what happened. here's everything explained. the end." Maybe some of yall will feel differently. This is just how I viewed it.

I thought much of the movie has me enjoying less because of the liberal jargon and technicality throwings going on but honestly after thinking about it, I don't think this is the case. I thoroughly enjoyed 1.11 and 2.22. There was quite a bit of stuff I didn't fully understand cuz I didn't know the technical stuff but I understood sort of where it was coming from. Here, this isn't the case.

Meh. I'm sure there's more I can say but... I don't know... w/e. I'll read other's posts and try to have a discussion.

Gonna quote this since I felt like it got buried. T_T

Articalys

I'm not going to post in the primary eva thread cuz I dont' want to get bashed by multiple hardcore eva fanatics. Plus I'd rather be surrounded by people who know me than not.
That just signifies a lack of faith in your own convictions!

kayos90

I read it. You're not wrong.

I always thought my enjoyment of the EVA Rebuild series could be standalone. Watching all of the original series certain enhances it most likely. For me, my prior experience with EVA was watching bits and pieces of the original anime and reading all of the manga that was out by 2009. My library luckily had all of them. I thoroughly enjoyed 1.11 and 2.22. 3.33 was a disaster. There's so much I can go about how, narratively speaking, it fails in so many ways it's not even funny. I feel sorry for the fans who waited years for this third movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom