• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hataraku maou-sama - 05

Action was mostly mediocre, but they managed to get through it with a good bit of levity, at least.

I WENT HOME TO GET MY GENERAL'S CLOAK

Fuck, this show has the best ragefaces this year.

Show worth picking up for the faces alone?
Cause it kinda seems so.

g40YVRw.gif

Episodes 54-66

I would like to think the Apis arc would have been a lot more tolerable if Apis didn't scream almost all the time. But whatever, it was decent. Now to the real good stuff.

The crew finally made it. The Grand Line. The water going up the mountain was pretty cool. And I really did feel sorry for Laboon the whale. I know Luffy won't break his promise to Laboon like the other captain that abandoned him. Just a question now of how long will it be before they see each other again.

Now after one hell of a change in weather conditions in the Grand Line, the crew make their first stop at Whiskey Park Cactus Island which is just filled with nothing but cannon fodder courtesy of Baroque Works....well most of them cannon fodder anyway. Never pegged Miss Wednesday to actually be a princess. At least she's got a pretty cool ride in the form of a duck-chocobo :p. As for Miss Valentine and Mister Five, they look pretty cool. Although booger bombs are so gross. Can't wait to see Mister Zero. Wonder if he has any Devil Fruit powers like Valentine and Five. Chances are, he does and it will be fucking sweet.

As for the Luffy/Zoro fight, that was pretty hilarious. Luffy is so goddamn stupid, I can't decide whether to laugh or shake my damn head at some of his more questionable decisions. Shame the show is so long, it would take forever to rank all his dumbest decisions from best to worst.

Now on to a more serious topic for me. The crew is now on the Grand Line. They have a log post or whatever it's called with them. It was explained to them how it works and how it would help them reach the last island at the end of the Grand Line. When it was explained to them, the Red Line was shown to be in the middle of the Grand Line meaning they would eventually have to cross it if they were to get to the other side of the Grand Line.

Now taking all that into account and the different time variations for the log post to adjust its coordinates depending on an island location, you mean to tell me that out of 500+ episodes and how many chapters there are in the manga, THESE GUYS STILL HAVEN'T FOUND THE FINAL ISLAND?! I clearly have A LOT more to watch, but what the hell? That shit don't make any sense. I refuse to believe they managed to get off the Grand Line (other than passing through the Red Line). No way in hell would Luffy allow that shit to happen. Not to mention that they still have Marines and Pirates chasing them, so going back would not be a good idea.

Just how the hell has this shit dragged on for so long and has no signs of stopping anytime soon (other than popularity!)? There better a satisfying twist to all this in the show that makes this long ass journey believably justifiable.

Kurita

It doesn't drag on. It's just a long adventure, they can't find the "final island" after 2 months lol I don't know what you expected to be honest.
You haven't seen anything yet.
The second half of their journey has recently started, all the stuff before was just a warm-up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It doesn't drag on.
I beg to differ. It drags on for hundreds of episodes at a time. Pretty much your only reward for sticking through the interminable Arabastia and Skypeia arcs is Water 7, but even that disappoints at the very end.

Reknoc

I beg to differ. It drags on for hundreds of episodes at a time. Pretty much your only reward for sticking through the interminable Arabastia and Skypeia arcs is Water 7, but even that disappoints at the very end.

The good version doesn't drag on. The anime is mostly poop.

It doesn't drag on. It's just a long adventure, they can't find the "final island" after 2 months lol I don't know what you expected to be honest.
You haven't seen anything yet.
The second half of their journey has recently started, all the stuff before was just a warm-up.

The warm-up act was better than the main act.

trejo

Our Lord and Savior, The Prophet L-Elf 4

I don't know guys. It was funny at first but there comes a point when I have to start worrying about the damage all this abysmally idiotic writing must be doing to my brain cells.

And I can only take the
"adults are poopyheads and they don't get us so us teens will form our own city state!"
plot so many times.

Even though everyone is afraid to release actual sales numbers (it's like the NPDs in that the people who pay for the numbers never release them), I think people from Funimation have said that their top sellers are in the thousands.

I presume Crunchyroll/streaming must do better though.

Well we do get some numbers, I think anime gets occasionally mentioned if it sells over 20,000 unit debut week, last I checked, Eva 2.22 had like 101K total in the us.

Didn't see it posted but The World God Only Knows Season 3 is coming out this summer.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...d-god-only-knows-3rd-season-slated-for-summer

Looking forward to the Summer.
This is a glorious day ..now i'm looking forward to a glorious summer.

It's too bad we'll probably need a 4th season for the godess arc

A Hotel Destroyed In "Girls Und Panzer" Draws More Guests

Sakanaya Honten is the hotel that was partially destroyed by the tanks in the anime and the management told the morning show that they get 1.5 times more guests as a result, according to the screen cap posted on Twitter. Now the hotel offers Girls Und Panzer package deals for the fans with a note that they welcome parties of one as well.

guphotelirl.png

guphotelirl2.png

life imitating gup
That's a nice way of boosting economy

You know what, I've had it with negative-numbered OT's. That joke has over stayed it's welcome,so let's just go back to normal for summer, please.

Kayos ? no it's jexhius . i had to double check.

/XX/

FYI, people, the Miraculous/Ladybug site just got updated again.

What this means now, I have no idea.
Except for the '56 episodes' part, the format mentioned, including the "2D & CGI series" phrase, was exactly what figured in their previous description present on the website when the project was first announced. That coupled with what the new Method Animation website still lists (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56368128&postcount=4190) makes me think part of the work continues in the same way as we saw it.

i don't remember anything like this in the first two rebuilds. what the fuck happened
「今日」/「なかな」のイラスト [pixiv]
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=6252447

Some people like to think 'Takeshi Honda happened', to the point of dismissing at once all he contributed to the films (http://engawa.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/eva/1358761937/).

Isn't it kind of weird how shounen shows have to be struggled through but some people here happily watch seasons of Precure that they're constantly told are terrible? The only shows with triple digit episodes that I've managed to finish are Gintama and DBZ so maybe I'm missing something.

DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION Episode 5 – Tuesday of Turbulence - I
tumblr_mm7df6dDzz1rq073jo1_400.gif

I wish Hibiki's jacket were real, Id totally wear it IRL. I love the little ear thingys and how they move around when he walks and even in the action scene. But
if Hibiki dies too, I cant. Theyve already failed thwarting the Niceae thing so, I dont even know what to expect anymore, Daichi better survive too!

The scene with Alcor and Hotsuin talking with their brief retrospective shown and then coming back to the present day as the instrumental piece of the ED played was so good. I know both have interest in Hibiki, but more scenes of just Alcor and Hotsuin would be welcomed if they can be just as compelling and interesting, and their voices and expressions too.

Daichi could be handled so much better, it makes me all sad and distressed by how they keep making him stay in a support role, could he shine too or something, switch roles with Nitta or something, please.

Oh and my characters would be Keita Daichi > Alcor Hotsuin > Hibiki > Jungo.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Isn't it kind of weird how shounen shows have to be struggled through but some people here happily watch seasons of Precure that they're constantly told are terrible? The only shows with triple digit episodes that I've managed to finish are Gintama and DBZ so maybe I'm missing something.
The only people who sit through the full 50 episodes of Precure Max Heart hate themselves.

Maybe I am in minority but pacing problems in One Piece anime didn't annoye me until Impel Down. Even with problems highly prefer the anime to manga. Music and voice acting just adds so much to the presentation.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
DBZ is even worse than One Piece in terms of dragging the pace down.

Also I don't think you'll find much correlation between the people who watch shounen hundreds of episode long and the ones who watch Precure. AnimeGAF is a diverse pot of shit tastes.

Maybe I am in minority but pacing problems in One Piece anime didn't annoye me until Impel Down. Even with problems highly prefer the anime to manga. Music and voice acting just adds so much to the presentation.

Anime has better pacing than the manga, Oda cant pace a story for beans and always has too much going on too many characters, that the anime manages to straighten out and let everything flow smoothly and easily digestible.

BluWacky

Well it has to be said that Mad Pierrot, for instance, has watched huge chunks of shows like Fairy Tail without enjoying them very much, so I don't think the two groups are mutually exclusive :p

Magical girl shows aren't quite as strongly serialised as shounen fight shows. I think it's easier to "watch" them without really paying any attention at all, as they're so episodic. So even if it's terrible you can basically just tune it out entirely - it seems a lot of people watch things like Max Heart when they're really tired or can't be bothered to watch anything else.

With that said, I did get through about 60 episodes of Naruto by only watching every other episode and using the recaps to catch me up on what I missed, so what do I know? Ah, the heady days of my youth...

DBZ is even worse than One Piece in terms of dragging the pace down.

Also I don't think you'll find much correlation between the people who watch shounen hundreds of episode long and the ones who watch Precure. AnimeGAF is a diverse pot of shit tastes.

Oh by no means was I saying DBZ was actually good enough to finish, it's just what happened. Also I totally forgot that I finished Dragonball as well, probably didn't cross my mind to bring it up because it didn't feel absurdly long.

But I'm sure someone out there must have experienced a lot of both that could bring some insight into this or to tell me that I'm totally off base.

Kagami

So, now that we're about a month into Spring, which voice actor(s) do you think are giving the best character performances of the season so far?

Sawashiro has been Sawashiroing effectively in Devil Survivor 2.
Also doing a more ordinary voice in PhotoKano.

What I'm most interested in is to see some Kuroneko episodes in OreImo。 so I can get a better grasp on how much Hanazawa's improved since the first OreImo.

mAcOdIn

Can someone point me to an anime that has some sort of consistent tone? I keep being fooled into watching shit that pulls the "suddenly this is hella dark/sci-fi/psychologically rapey" trick that Japan loves to do so much.

I'm at my wits end.
Me too! Because I don't know what tone you're looking for. :shrug:

So I guess this is just a recommend good stuff that's consistent so, Twelve Kingdoms, Mushi-shi, Kino's Journey, Spice and Wolf, those are some good starters.

Also, can't wait to watch me some more Chiho after my appointment today!

wonzo

Banned
Can someone point me to an anime that has some sort of consistent tone? I keep being fooled into watching shit that pulls the "suddenly this is hella dark/sci-fi/psychologically rapey" trick that Japan loves to do so much.

I'm at my wits end.
Spice & Wolf
Windy Tales
Kenya Boy

It reduces the nonsense about OT4 and the spam and garbage that spawns.
p. much

「今日」/「なかな」のイラスト [pixiv]
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=6252447

Some people like to think 'Takeshi Honda happened', to the point of dismissing at once all he contributed to the films (http://engawa.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/eva/1358761937/).
lmao. rip sadamoto's art

wonzo

Banned
But you guys keep recommending School Days and Blood.C to anybody who ask for recommendations!
But those don't fit what he's asking for at all. There's a time and a place for those kinds of recommendations but now is not one of them.

BluWacky

Do you guys recommend the blood anime series?

Out of the two Blood series, I prefer Blood-C, with its crazy plot twists and relatively brief length, to Blood+, which is rather longwinded and dull.

Many people think Blood-C is "so bad it's good" because of its dramatic excesses. I prefer to think it's good on its own merits, but to each their own.

Mature

I just find it extremely unhealthy that anyone would willingly rewatch 3.33 instead of the show, no matter how many times they've gone through the material. Slitting your wrists probably is a more productive self-torture experience.
I'll probably watch it again. And not just that, I'll probably enjoy it!

Valvrave 5
The Guilty Crown comparisons are way off here, this show make no attempt to take itself seriously, it's a straight out comedy. And that Moses scene was amazing.

cajunator

Banned
FYI, people, the Miraculous/Ladybug site just got updated again:

The background is still the newer CG image though.

What this means now, I have no idea.

Still terrible. This look will not grow on me.

They understand forever alone.

So forever alone is a negative thing is what Im gathering. I always thought it was just a meme.
So it only counts if you are lonely and want companionship as opposed to simply wanting to be on your own?

Did you guys know that, in real life, the MgRonalds where Maou works is actually a MOS Burger?

I saw it as this too. I have moe on the brain.

hataraku maou-sama - 05

Action was mostly mediocre, but they managed to get through it with a good bit of levity, at least.

I WENT HOME TO GET MY GENERAL'S CLOAK

Fuck, this show has the best ragefaces this year.

short hair Chiho >>>>> twin tails Chiho.

The new Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ TV series will begin airing in October. If you missed it before, here's the key visual from last week:

I see what appears to be cat ears and hair decoration. COlor me interested.

Show worth picking up for the faces alone?
Cause it kinda seems so.

Yes. Chiho and Maou and Alciel make the show worth it. Oh I guess Emi too.

Behold the power that Cute wields. Shounen shows do not have Cute for the most part. It is possible to endure very terrible things because of this.

Me too! Because I don't know what tone you're looking for. :shrug:

So I guess this is just a recommend good stuff that's consistent so, Twelve Kingdoms, Mushi-shi, Kino's Journey, Spice and Wolf, those are some good starters.

Also, can't wait to watch me some more Chiho after my appointment today!

Those are great recommendations. Especially Kino's Journey.

But you guys keep recommending School Days and Blood.C to anybody who ask for recommendations!

I didn't even have to ask my roommate to watch it. She asked about Blood C all on her own. I simply happened to have the blurays.
I guess I was an enabler.

Steroyd

That's roughly when they started doing the 1 chapter per episode pacing, sounds about right.

Anime has better pacing than the manga, Oda cant pace a story for beans and always has too much going on too many characters, that the anime manages to straighten out and let everything flow smoothly and easily digestible.

lolz no. The anime fleshes out things yes, but there are also episodes that near DBZ levels of stare downs and reaction shots, don't get me started on when the episodes actually do "start".

Photo Kano 5
Is this going down the Amagami omnibus road? Because drama, a heroine is chosen, and this felt like the penultimate episode, not mid-season.

fertygo

Majestic Prince 05
Hey episode that actually good, must because the CG mech fight take big portion of it.
And the explosion effect look great this time.

duckroll

Majestic Prince 05
Hey episode that actually good, must because the CG mech fight take big portion of it.
And the explosion effect look great this time.

I can't tell whether you're just starting to like everything you watch, or if you're growing closer to being a true nakama. Either way, I like this development. :p

Episodes 54-66

Now taking all that into account and the different time variations for the log post to adjust its coordinates depending on an island location, you mean to tell me that out of 500+ episodes and how many chapters there are in the manga, THESE GUYS STILL HAVEN'T FOUND THE FINAL ISLAND?! I clearly have A LOT more to watch, but what the hell? That shit don't make any sense. I refuse to believe they managed to get off the Grand Line (other than passing through the Red Line). No way in hell would Luffy allow that shit to happen. Not to mention that they still have Marines and Pirates chasing them, so going back would not be a good idea.
I don't think you understand just how MASSIVE the OP world is. And it's not just big for the sake of being big. There are connections that you never could have guessed when the series started, and the exponential growth never stops. You think the marines have made Luffy with his measly 30 million bounty a priority at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom