• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Figures are awesome, even beyond just anime figures!

True.
ibzQIms9ThSqEw.png
iflqE0K9Pnx0m.png
igsCvdjWJSNnc.png

Need to buy some more...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, I thought that was the worst part, since
Oh, I know, I definitely know. It's why I'm saying it could be worse than SAO. But on the off chance they do it right, it could be - at least in terms of the protagonists - better than Hyouka.

Now I definitely know I'm setting myself up for disappointment. lol

---
I finally got my set in:
u0ImyItl.jpg

SDBurton, this is what real yuri looks like!

BluWacky

What's wrong with Ayashi?

It was supposed to be good :(

Ayakashi Ayashi aired in the "doroku" slot on MBS - Saturdays at 6pm - which eventually became the "nichigo" slot - Sundays at 5pm - we have today due to collapsing ratings. It was supposed to be a high profile hit - animated by Bones and written by Sho Aikawa, who of course adapted Fullmetal Alchemist so successfully in the time slot a year or two previously.

It had some interesting ideas - in a way, too many, stuffed so full was the show of fairly impenetrable concepts. But its biggest problems were just how dull it was.

From what I remember, everything was brown. So brown. It was clearly intentional, because of it being a gloomy time and much of the work of the Ayashi being done in secret etc., but the show was an absolute chore to look at as a result.

More importantly for a Western audience, however, the main character's special power was "Ayagami", the ability to use the power embedded in kanji to create weaponry etc. So each of the "Yoi", the beasts that were the antagonists of the series, had a hidden meaning in the kanji that made up its name, which the lead could draw out and use to attack them. So the show used to go into enormous detail about the origin of the kanji that was being used - which, of course, was virtually meaningless to anyone who doesn't understand the language.

Turns out it wasn't very interesting to the Japanese, either, because the show got cancelled halfway through its run due to bad ratings and was replaced with Terra e!

At least that's how I remember it. I'm sure duckroll can correct me if I'm wrong.

cajunator

Banned
Oh, I know, I definitely know. It's why I'm saying it could be worse than SAO. But on the off chance they do it right, it could be - at least in terms of the protagonists - better than Hyouka.

Now I definitely know I'm setting myself up for disappointment. lol

---
I finally got my set in:
u0ImyItl.jpg

SDBurton, this is what real yuri looks like!

I bought this too. Is it good? I liked the art style so I bought it.

Syrinx

I don't have any figures, nor do I have any plans to buy any. I'm really not a merchandise whore. Back in middle and high school I bought a lot of Mets stuff that now I don't really have much, if any, use for. Kinda made me weary of buying merchandise and shit, especially now that I'm in college.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
K-ON!! -END-

I kinda feel like I'm obligated to write a long, gushing end-of-show post here, but...I'm not so good at that, especially for SOL shows, so I'll keep this short. K-ON!! really is amazing, and deserves all the praise and love it gets. I enjoyed every minute of it, and it's definitely up there with my favorite SOL shows of all time (not quite Nichijou level for me, but then again what is). The characters are all so well written that you end up caring about all of them (even Mugi, who got so much less screen-time and focus than the rest of the group that it's almost criminal). Great music, superb animation, wonderful writing...just a great show. And I still have the movie to go!

Ritsu > Yui > Sawa-chan > Mio > Ui > Nodoka > Azusa > Jun > Mugi

Kamen Rider OOO -END-

I really liked this, too. Not my favorite Kamen Rider of all time (that honor still goes to Kamen Rider W), but it's definitely up there. Of the ones I've seen it'd probably go W > Blade > OOO > Kabuto > Decade > 555. Anyway, getting off topic here. OOO's strongest point is definitely Ankh. He's absolutely the best anti-hero character the show has ever had. In fact, I think "Doesn't have Ankh" is going to be a negative point for any Rider show I watch from here on out. :lol He's just that good. There were a few things that didn't make sense, which happens in basically every Kamen Rider series, but overall I liked how OOO avoided having a shitty, rushed ending. Something you definitely can't say for every KR show. The underlying conflict between Eiji and Ankh, even as they're forced to work together, was a huge highlight of the series. The supporting cast was great, too. Especially Kougami, who just joyfully chews up the scenery every time he's on camera (SUBARASHII!). Overall, great show, really glad I finally got around to watching it.

jgminto

I'd definitely buy some figures if I had the cash, all I've got are ones from game editions. I'd also buy some wall scrolls if they didn't all look terrible.

Ayakashi Ayashi aired in the "doroku" slot on MBS - Saturdays at 6pm - which eventually became the "nichigo" slot - Sundays at 5pm - we have today due to collapsing ratings. It was supposed to be a high profile hit - animated by Bones and written by Sho Aikawa, who of course adapted Fullmetal Alchemist so successfully in the time slot a year or two previously.

It had some interesting ideas - in a way, too many, stuffed so full was the show of fairly impenetrable concepts. But its biggest problems were just how dull it was.

From what I remember, everything was brown. So brown. It was clearly intentional, because of it being a gloomy time and much of the work of the Ayashi being done in secret etc., but the show was an absolute chore to look at as a result.

More importantly for a Western audience, however, the main character's special power was "Ayagami", the ability to use the power embedded in kanji to create weaponry etc. So each of the "Yoi", the beasts that were the antagonists of the series, had a hidden meaning in the kanji that made up its name, which the lead could draw out and use to attack them. So the show used to go into enormous detail about the origin of the kanji that was being used - which, of course, was virtually meaningless to anyone who doesn't understand the language.

Turns out it wasn't very interesting to the Japanese, either, because the show got cancelled halfway through its run due to bad ratings and was replaced with Terra e!

At least that's how I remember it. I'm sure duckroll can correct me if I'm wrong.

I dunno, super long antics about kanji meanings and origins sounds somewhat interesting to me. :x

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I bought this too. Is it good? I liked the art style so I bought it.
The manga is annoying at times, much like Wandering Son's manga version, but the anime is fine. I'm hoping that buying it convinces them to license Wandering Son or at least try to get it anyway.

But, even classy lesbians are easier to sell than gender dysphoria stories (that aren't say, Kampfer).

K-On figures are some of the best of course.
Well, there's a reason I have so many Mio figures!
True.

Need to buy some more...
Yeah, I'm always on the hunt for more figures, even if most of them I could never afford.
I love me my tiny figures.
Yeah, these are mostly the kind I can afford, but I love them all the same.
fixed :b blending was terribad on dark theme too, guess should look fine now.

K-ON!! -END-

I kinda feel like I'm obligated to write a long, gushing end-of-show post here, but...I'm not so good at that, especially for SOL shows, so I'll keep this short. K-ON!! really is amazing, and deserves all the praise and love it gets. I enjoyed every minute of it, and it's definitely up there with my favorite SOL shows of all time (not quite Nichijou level for me, but then again what is). The characters are all so well written that you end up caring about all of them (even Mugi, who got so much less screen-time and focus than the rest of the group that it's almost criminal). Great music, superb animation, wonderful writing...just a great show. And I still have the movie to go!

Ritsu > Yui > Sawa-chan > Mio > Ui > Nodoka > Azusa > Jun > Mugi

I'm glad you gave this show a chance and ended up liking it!

Not sure if I like that list though.

Valvrave 4

Not sure where this series is going at all, I like the idea of pitting the two countries against each other over who they'll give Valvrave to, but no the idea of creating their own country. Action at the end was very good and it was nice to see L-Elf not get his way for a change.

Also is it just me or does "independence" sound a lot like "one piece"?

Mature

Evangelion 3.33
I'm sure this has been picked apart to no end, but I enjoyed it. It was very pretty to look at and Asuka is as crazy as ever. Still needs more Mari(Can't wait for her dub). The only problem I had with it was that nothing really happend. All the plot happend elsewhere.
Ah! Ah-hah! Another soldier for my army.

I was amazed when I found out people didn't like ROD TV. Or is that just here?
I'd almost forgotten that we're nakama when it comes to ROD. With it on CR, it'll be a much easier recommendation =]

Oh yes, I can finally watch TTGL in a high definition resolution.
Something tells me they wont put it up in HD.

Go_Ly_Dow

Valvrave 4

This is the only .gif I can find that can kind of sum up watching a Valvrave episode.

U4zWSYt.gif

I can't help but laugh my ass off when watching this. Mostly in disbelief at how someone actually created this.

It's a goddamn masterpiece. ;_;

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

Articalys

By the way, one other thing I liked about Oregairu ep5 was how they used a different version of the ending song to reflect the more subdued atmosphere, rather than the normal high-energy one. Way better than some kind of AIJOU YUUJOU mood whiplash.

Incidentaly, the CD single for the song has a grand total of four versions -- the normal duet one, this slower-paced Yui version, and then what seem to be two more versions of the normal one with either Yui (Nao Toyama) or Yukino (Saori Hayami) singing it solo.

cajunator

Banned
I've never seen one.

These arent nice?
haibane_renmei.jpg

haibane_renmei.jpg

last_exile.jpg

Indeed I have. Will get to the manga sooner or later.

Also:

Trying to start nonsense with me... hmph!

Thought you hated Strawberry Panic?

Ah! Ah-hah! Another soldier for my army.

I'd almost forgotten that we're nakama when it comes to ROD. With it on CR, it'll be a much easier recommendation =]

Something tells me they wont put it up in HD.

I accidentally bought three versions of ROD TV.

-Horizon-

Valvrave 4

Yeah an independent country of nothing but high school age kids and like 1 teacher
nothing is gonna go wrong at all.

On the other hand, I really like the OP for the show.

Dead

well not really...yet

The ova ending episodes were really good

Suite Precure 9

Right as I talk about Hibiki being a spotlight hog for various reasons, we get a Kanade episode, focusing on her lack of a Birther and her uselessness. I seem to have a knack for noticing things only for it to get fixed immediately.

We have a dream sequence which might as well be a commercial. I HAVE A BIRTHER, THE VILLIANS HAVE BIRTHERS, EVEN SIDE DISHES HAVE BIRTHERS, WHY DON'T YOU HAVE ONE YET!? So she seeks the power of the Hibiki, from eating seconds to running, which she normally doesn't do (yet she makes sweets...)

Apparently the bad guys aren't really happy with Siren considering she goes "We're not friends, I'm the leader, you're my subordinates". And then Kanade gets her birther at the end.

Why I found utterly hilarious though, is that right after her finisher, she just walks off stage left, like right in this image http://puu.sh/2Mjww.gif

Suite's still handling itself pretty well though.

Majestic Prince 5

This series is finally hitting it's stride, the "video" scene was hilarious and the battle in the 2nd half of the episode showed Rabbits finally fighting like princes.

Valvrave: The Liberator - Episode 4 – The Hostage is Valvrave

Excellent developments. I wish L-elf was a bit more involved here instead of consistently thwarted by the atrocious and terrible Shoko.
Though with Shoko taking such a position and getting in the way of the protective pact and promise that L-Elf offered, I wonder if she's being set up to truly die at some point later. It seems like it has to happen. Though the plan was interesting, but I think L-elf's would have been the better route. They kind of have no protection if say Haruto were ganged up in the Valvrave, but it could go to beyond 666 and reach possibility again, since I figure Q-vier, X-eins, H-neun, and A-drei aren't as skilled as L-elf who could probably take on Valvrave easily.

I want L-elf to smile so much more and Haruto please join up with him somehow, anyway.

Sunrise brand cardboard boxes, the way the ed played to cut in their, and tons of explosions with smiling leads, epic episode.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru Episode 4

MC's little sister fits every single cute little sister trope there is.

tumblr_mlvn5u8VBL1qcsnnso1_500.gif

MC is in a class group with cute boy and Ken?

aKJZ2GW.gif

Totsuka Saika is so cute~

tumblr_mliz2thdkY1qbdvwko1_500.gif

tumblr_mlizwpHIbf1qbdvwko1_500.gif

tumblr_mm2b5uM2FM1s4clqpo1_250.gif

CjUHpl0.jpg

arqVNcV.jpg

Do I want to watch more?

ibgDTkTYFeXNWB.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom