• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
Yuyushiki 4 was as pleasant as ever. Okasan is cute. I hope there's more to the show than just harem building, though. I'd like some more... development between the main three.

Hataraku 5 was great, Maou is one of the best MCs in recent memory. My support of Emi is as strong as ever.

Gargantia 4 was not as good as I was expecting, reading the impressions here. Other than a shota who I didn't immediately hate (which is actually pretty impressive), it was unremarkable. (Twintails girl is a qt3.14, though.)

Hentai Ouji 3 moved a lot faster than I expected. I didn't think it would be resolved so quickly, though it makes me worry about the prospects of
Azusa ending up with the MC.

Leviathan 1-2 was mediocre shit with no redeeming value whatsoever. Dropped.

Suite Precure! 13

2MVfK.jpg
2MVrW.jpg

The history of Hummy and Siren, reflecting on their friendship up until the beginning of Suite.

Siren nearly heel turns, but Mephisto brainwashes her. And then Cure Muse shows up, proving that Siren isn't Cure Muse.

Cure Muse is Tuxedo Masking it harder than Heartcatch's Tuxedo Mask. Guh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Zac talked about Evangelion 3.33 on the latest ANNCast, and basically if you didn't like, it's because it was too "different" for you. Which is basically code for "2deep4u". Also, K-ON still sucks, so there's that. lol

The funny thing is I don't even care if someone has an opinion about something, but when the argument is that the people only dislike something because they don't "get it", you might as well just say "I'm an asshole" and call it a day.

Anyway, the more interesting part of the podcast was the interview with the guy who is starting Anime Sols, which is the crowdfunding anime thing that's launching with some old Tezuka stuff (among other things) at some point. They talk about their business model and such, but I think the most interesting fact was this:

For them to do a minimum-run print of a 13 episode anime on DVD, it costs them $20,000. I assume modern anime costs more, because in this case they're dealing with old properties and directly with the anime studios and not IP holders or whatever, but it's an interesting number to know nonetheless.

It'll be interesting to see how many of their shows end up getting "funded" anyway. If a show can't even get 20k to get one volume out, then that's probably a sign that anime is more niche than I even expected.

For them to do a minimum-run print of a 13 episode anime on DVD, it costs them $20,000. I assume modern anime costs more, because in this case they're dealing with old properties and directly with the anime studios and not IP holders or whatever, but it's an interesting number to know nonetheless.

It'll be interesting to see how many of their shows end up getting "funded" anyway. If a show can't even get 20k to get one volume out, then that's probably a sign that anime is more niche than I even expected.

sub only?

Jarmel

Banned
So Zac talked about Evangelion 3.33 on the latest ANNCast, and basically if you didn't like, it's because it was too "different" for you. Which is basically code for "2deep4u". Also, K-ON still sucks, so there's that. lol

The funny thing is I don't even care if someone has an opinion about something, but when the argument is that the people only dislike something because they don't "get it", you might as well just say "I'm an asshole" and call it a day.

I don't understand how people can't accept that a movie might be flawed for someone else but work for you on a personal level. Let's say a show that talks in depth about economics might be easy to follow for an econ major but hard for everyone else. The econ major should note the complexity of the work when talking about it and say that this is a possible flaw for the average citizen but worked for them, instead of just saying that you're an idiot because you didn't follow what was going on. But then they wouldn't have a chance to inflate their artificial ego about how they're better than the average pleb.

Metrotab

Banned
OreImo S2 - 5

And in one fell swoop the second season is saved! Seriously, this was a great episode. The jealous looks were definitely amusing!

And damn, Kuroneko in a summerdress is cute!

What's all this boyfriend nonsense though?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
sub only?
Yeah, sub only. I can't imagine a scenario where it would make sense to dub old Tezuka anime. lol

I don't understand how people can't accept that a movie might be flawed for someone else but work for you on a personal level. Let's say a show that talks in depth about economics might be easy to follow for an econ major but hard for everyone else. The econ major should note the complexity of the work when talking about it and say that this is a possible flaw for the average citizen but worked for them, instead of just saying that you're an idiot because you didn't follow what was going on. But then they wouldn't have a chance to inflate their artificial ego about how they're better than the average pleb.

It's just weird because he doesn't address any specific criticisms anyone might have had with the movie. It's just "different" and the anime fan slob that pays his bills but that he clearly despises (because they like K-ON) just doesn't "get it".

Of course, this is the guy who posited the strange thesis that Eva 2.22 was about American masculinity trumping Shinji's Japanese masculinity when his Eva unit took over and punched a hole into Asuka's face. The problem of course, is that Gendo is the one who took over the "American" Eva unit and unless I missed some major plot point, as far as I know, Gendo is also Japanese. But hey, why pay attention to facts when they get in the way of a point you are trying to make?

Suite Precure! 14

I know the music isn't that great in Suite, but it didn't mean you had too go use one of Heartcatch's.

There's two Muses, one is a fake, but in the meantime, it's Hibiki and Kanade antics on trying to find out who Cure Muse is, from having an imaginary performance that your crush is Cure Muse, to taking over the intercom to make a message only to embarrass yourselves.

They're really going hard with the Tuxedo Mask stuff here. It's terrible knowing that it's there multiple episodes in a row.

mAcOdIn

Hataraku Maou-sama!
The Devil works at Mcdonalds - 4

The backstory does bring up an interesting question.
Why DID Satan relentlessly attack humans back in the fantasy world, seeing how he's generally a nice and calm guy in Japan? And who is the Landlady?
I'm going to make two guesses:
1st: A war against humans makes sense because they're freaking demons! Think about it, just carrying the name demon implies you're the bad guy, so, if you lived in a place with demons, and they were called demons, then I'm sure the humans there would naturally treat you as an enemy. The same would go for angels, in mythology or religion angels are good so if you were an angel despite your intentions or true personality people would assume you are good. Basically I'm saying that everyone in the show has been pigeonholed by the society of Enta Isle by, uh, race, and had no option but to fit in to survive. Look at it this way, if the entire human race has labeled you "demon" you're probably dealing with not just persecution but flat out open warfare or genocide coming your way as well.
2nd: The Landlady is probably
an Angel because looks are deceiving yo!
Hataraku 5 was great, Maou is one of the best MCs in recent memory. My support of Emi is as strong as ever.
Episode 5 continues the emasculation of Emi though! This episode further cements that Emi sucks:
Responds to the reveal by almost crying and generally being a wimp.
Further wimpiness is shown by her not reacting to Lucifer's first attacks and trying to protect herself and instead needs Maou to put up a barrier for her.
Switches to her whimpering voice when Maou's seemingly killed.
Has to finally be spurred into action and using her powers by a restrengthened Maou
Saved by Alsiel
When Maou decides to finally join the fray she stands aside and has some smug look like Alsiel, she basically gives the scene to him, further emasculating what should be a strong and prideful character.

I think this episode solidified Emi as Maou's despite anything she says to the contrary, any strength or resistence she may display in the future's just a smokescreen to stroke her own damaged ego but it doesn't hide the truth.

And Chiho's still the best.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yeaaaaah... not feeling DeSu 2 at all. Too much "That'd be good in a game" stuff that isn't actually interesting to watch in the show.

PsionBolt

Dokidoki Precure - 14

This episode...
the pattern is totally the same as the previous one! Another queen-related contest, in the form of a feminine sport. The interested Cure's rival then becomes the Selfish. It's kind of lazy to air these right back to back - as expected of the master, Toei.

Rikka continues to stray from the path of the straight man. (Not that she was ever straight or a man, but you understand.) At least Alice picked up the slack admirably this time!

The fight was pretty good.
I like gimmick fights more than most, but the humour of Ira being ignored by the Selfish made this one especially amusing. They're still spamming Heart Shoot to finish the baddies, but hey, gotta sell those toys somehow.

The
royal crystals are almost certainly color-coded powerup trinkets. That confirms Alice's color as yellow and Ace's color as red. I wonder if they're for more individual attacks, or a group finisher? They seem not to fit into the same slots as Lovies

Next episode will be
a MakoP episode. It'll be pretty funny if Dokidoki does a better fairy tale episode than Smile did

Heart > Regina > Sword >
Ace
> Sebas-chan > Diamond > Dia-mom > Rosetta.

Theonik

Gargantia 4 was not as good as I was expecting, reading the impressions here. Other than a shota who I didn't immediately hate (which is actually pretty impressive), it was unremarkable. (Twintails girl is a qt3.14, though.)
Finally someone agrees!

Ultimadrago

Hataraku Maou-sama!

Episode 5 continues the emasculation of Emi though! This episode further cements that Emi sucks: ...

I think this episode solidified Emi as Maou's despite anything she says to the contrary, any strength or resistence she may display in the future's just a smokescreen to stroke her own damaged ego but it doesn't hide the truth.

And Chiho's still the best.

Preach mAcOdIn.

cajunator

Banned
OreImo S2 - 5

And in one fell swoop the second season is saved! Seriously, this was a great episode. The jealous looks were definitely amusing!

And damn, Kuroneko in a summerdress is cute!

What's all this boyfriend nonsense though?

The show is better now and Kuroneko is in it more. coincidence?

Yuyushiki 4 was as pleasant as ever. Okasan is cute. I hope there's more to the show than just harem building, though. I'd like some more... development between the main three.

Hentai Ouji 3 moved a lot faster than I expected. I didn't think it would be resolved so quickly, though it makes me worry about the prospects of
Azusa ending up with the MC.

Leviathan 1-2 was mediocre shit with no redeeming value whatsoever. Dropped.

Ok that was kind of adorable the way you said it.

Teen Titans 5

This show is awfully depressing to watch!
The titan attacks didn't go as I thought they would, it was the exact opposite. No cool fliperoos and cutting up titans, just people dying and despairing.
I almost don't want to watch next episode.

Articalys

Nice! Here's hoping Amy goes far.
In the future, maybe -- these are just sets of one-time matches with characters from this calendar year, since they were never eligible for this year's ISML tournament in the first place. They'll all be good for the normal Saimoe later this year though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hentai Ouji 4

I thought Space Brothers startled me with their ending this week? Holy fuck I didn't see that curve ball coming. God damnit.

I suppose SDBurton is already salivating though. lol

Shergal

Attack on Titan 5

I had mixed feelings about how the adaptation was going, but they absolutely nailed it here. At some points, the trademark Araki spectacle could have sprouted in full force but it seems he restrained himself, and it's commendable. There was still a lot of screaming, speed lines and DRAMATIC close-ups and wide shots, but it was well executed and this time their use was actually logical and expected.

Only one AD :D! and pretty solid animation, nothing super outstanding but I doubt anyone was expecting much more than what we're getting, which is still pretty good.

Did the whole
chess thing
happen in the manga? I can't remember, but it felt like an original part. It worked well IMO, sets up some stuff.

Only bad thing is that Tachikawa won't be handling
Mikasa's flashback as seen in the preview for 6
. Hope his episode 7 goes very well, his part is still really interesting.

Also, DAT MOE TITAN HNNNNNNNNNNG.

7Th

This week's Precure made me think of firehawk, wonzo and Chihayafuru; the victim of the week
is the Karuta Queen and her reason for becoming a Selfish is that she is so busy with karuta she has no time for love. SO META.

Kazzy

Writing off valid criticism by using a reductive assessment - one that stifles any genuine discourse? Yeah, that sounds about right.

ANN couldn't be trying any harder if they tried.

Thoraxes

Satan MgRonalds - 05

Emilia yet again proving why she's the best.

Some of you just can't handle the strong independent types.

#TeamEmilia

HENTAI OUJI 4

YES YES YES YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

:SDBURTON TO THE MAX
:
WHATEVER STANDS FOR WINCEST

I thought that this show would decline after that first arc, but it just keeps on giving. I love this show so god damn much. Also King of Steel is now official best girl of the show, best onee-san.

Hentai Ouji 4

What the hell is going on in this show? I thought what was established in episode 1 would be a consistent hook, but now it's going all over the damn place.

7Th

Why are people allowed to write for money about anime when they know so little about it? That's the question that passes through my mind every time I read a quote from the ANN staff.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You are starting to win me back.
Of course, this is the guy who posited the strange thesis that Eva 2.22 was about American masculinity trumping Shinji's Japanese masculinity when his Eva unit took over and punched a hole into Asuka's face. The problem of course, is that Gendo is the one who took over the "American" Eva unit and unless I missed some major plot point, as far as I know, Gendo is also Japanese. But hey, why pay attention to facts when they get in the way of a point you are trying to make?
lolol

It's just weird because he doesn't address any specific criticisms anyone might have had with the movie. It's just "different" and the anime fan slob that pays his bills but that he clearly despises (because they like K-ON) just doesn't "get it".

He sounds like a fun guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom