• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Gizmodo offers the masses an insightful guide on How to Embrace Anime and Never Look Back.

Words to live by. Except for his recommendations >_>

I liked the beginning of Bleach, but that's pretty standard for shounen shows for me. They always devolve into the same stuff.

He doesn't seem to post much in the threads he actually makes.

I hope he comes back :(

And Dennou Coil?

And, yes, Railgun does have a tsundere but she's the best tsundere in all of anime.

uhhh...not even close.

Wit Studio really seems to be struggling with the production of Shingeki. Ep3-5 have all been collaboration episodes with outsource studios. The trend will probably continue, and it's probably not too surprising, considering how Wit Studio's actual offices have only been ready for a few months (I think they moved in at the very end of August last year), and they were already tasked with a big new TV series and a theatrical feature at the same time. Not to mention how some of the staff were already tied up with Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Notes during the same period.

Seems like I.G. was a little too ambitious in what they wanted to do with Wit. Well, hopefully they'll at least do a good job on Hal.

wonzo

Banned
The irony with this statement is that Morio Asaka and Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who both go back to major Madhouse productions of the 1990s and earlier and so are two of the very few remaining members from the old guard of the studio, are working on Chihayafuru.
haha yeah, time to put them out to pasture
packing ramen crates for the next generation.

duckroll

Seems like I.G. was a little too ambitious in what they wanted to do with Wit. Well, hopefully they'll at least do a good job on Hal.

Or maybe they actually understand the anime industry far better than we do. It's not like the shit production values Jojo TV has stopped it from selling about 20k per volume. Certainly far better than the old OVAs ever sold. As long as a show ends up being made, and if fans are happy with the adaptation, do production problems even matter in the long run?

Articalys

By the way, I was idly thinking about this the other day: can someone help explain the differences in responsibilities between the person credited for a show's series composition, and the individual episode scriptwriters? How does the plot/script creation process move from one to the other? And I think it was mentioned before, but also the differences between a normal director for a show and the "series director", if there is one?

duckroll

By the way, I was idly thinking about this the other day: can someone help explain the differences in responsibilities between the person credited for a show's series composition, and the individual episode scriptwriters? And I think it was mentioned before, but also the differences between a normal director for a show and the "series director", if there is one?

The series writer is the head editor. He plans the structure of the series (hence "series composition"), while individual episode writers pen the actual screenplay for that episode.

Jarmel

Banned
Wit Studio really seems to be struggling with the production of Shingeki. Ep3-5 have all been collaboration episodes with outsource studios. The trend will probably continue, and it's probably not too surprising, considering how Wit Studio's actual offices have only been ready for a few months (I think they moved in at the very end of August last year), and they were already tasked with a big new TV series and a theatrical feature at the same time. Not to mention how some of the staff were already tied up with Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Notes during the same period.

They might get on their feet later in the show as stuff gets more established.

Or maybe they actually understand the anime industry far better than we do. It's not like the shit production values Jojo TV has stopped it from selling about 20k per volume. Certainly far better than the old OVAs ever sold. As long as a show ends up being made, and if fans are happy with the adaptation, do production problems even matter in the long run?

Considering the first two episodes have been the weakest part of the show so far (though production values are obviously not to blame there), I can't say it's even mattered for me.

Articalys

The series writer is the head editor. He plans the structure of the series (hence "series composition"), while individual episode writers pen the actual screenplay for that episode.
How much detail of the show do they provide to the individual writers, or is that just something that varies from person to person and show to show? How does the director get involved in this process? I know I'm probably misunderstanding something here since I've never studied anything about screenplay writing in my life, but I'd at least like to know where I'm going wrong.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
tumblr_me05rpCsVv1r1izn6o1_r1_500.png

Nope.

Hell yes.

====================================

But since it is fiction what exactly's wrong with Misaka's love interest in that universe? How is he a shit bag, loser, creep or whatever?

He is a male. We can't have that nonsense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I assume it's much like the showrunner position in America.

Even Sorkin needs a writing staff to produce wonderful works such as The Newsroom!

True, true. I just have a dream of an anime industry with sane production schedules that lead to happier and healthier lives for animators and stronger end products, but that's not going to make any money.

duckroll

How much detail of the show do they provide to the individual writers, or is that just something that varies from person to person and show to show? I know I'm probably misunderstanding something here, but I'd at least like to know where I'm going wrong.

The director(s), producer(s), and writer(s), usually have regular meetings about production on each episode before they start pre-production starts, and scripts are edited and revised before being finally approved to be used for storyboarding and recording. I can't really think of a scenario where someone writes stuff on a napkin and hands it to the appointed episode writer and goes "have fun, come back with a script". Lol. Except maybe on stuff like Panty & Stocking!

Even Sorkin needs a writing staff to produce wonderful works such as The Newsroom!

Do you eat shit?

Theonik

Production problems often affect a studio's ability to deliver a product on time, and sometimes require bringing in additional workers. That negatively affects the budget of the production so I wouldn't say it's something they don't care about. It doesn't just adversely affect the quality of the finished product.

I was wondering, does this mean that in a heavily episodic show the episode writer has the most control over what happens. When on a show with strict continuity the episode writer mostly manages dialogue while the series writer decides what the major events will be?

Jarmel

Banned
The director(s), producer(s), and writer(s), usually have regular meetings about production on each episode before they start pre-production starts, and scripts are edited and revised before being finally approved to be used for storyboarding and recording.

Is there any footage of meetings like that? I would love to see the actual process and how these meetings actually go down.

7Th

True, true. I just have a dream of an anime industry with sane production schedules that lead to happier and healthier lives for animators and stronger end products, but that's not going to make any money.

Even KyoAni is reducing production schedules; the dream is over.

Shergal

But what about the artistic integrity on the part of the directors and animators involved?

There's also what hosannainexcelsis said about healthy working conditions and schedules, but that's a given for almost anyone in the industry so WIT's case in particular isn't really surprising.

Even KyoAni is reducing production schedules; the dream is over.
;_;
They still took a break this season, and may even take a break after their Summer show. I hope they don't start compromising their products and workers for more shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was wondering, does this mean that in a heavily episodic show the episode writer has the most control over what happens. When on a show with strict continuity the episode writer mostly manages dialogue while the series writer decides what the major events will be?
I assume in both cases, the head writer is in charge of the series bible.

Articalys

The director(s), producer(s), and writer(s), usually have regular meetings about production on each episode before they start pre-production starts, and scripts are edited and revised before being finally approved to be used for storyboarding and recording. I can't really think of a scenario where someone writes stuff on a napkin and hands it to the appointed episode writer and goes "have fun, come back with a script". Lol. Except maybe on stuff like Panty & Stocking!
Well yeah, I figured that the writers were given at least a minimum level of structure and flow for the episode, I was just wondering how that process works. And I guess it sounds like everyone basically sits in on a roundtable discussion for each episode (lead by the director and/or series composer?) to iron out the little details, then the episode writers do the actual work.

I'm sure it works slightly differently for adaptation vs. original series, too.

Sengoku Collection maybe.

duckroll

Production problems often affect a studio's ability to deliver a product on time, and sometimes require bringing in additional workers. That negatively affects the budget of the production so I wouldn't say it's something they don't care about. It doesn't just adversely affect the quality of the finished product.

I think IG was well aware of the budget concerns when they took on this project. It's an adaptation of one of the big selling new action manga in Japan. There's a ton of money behind it. It's more of a strike-while-the-iron-is-hot thing rather than a lets-take-our-time-and-make-this-a-year-later thing. The question is whether they can end up with a finished product, not whether they can make it easily. If they decided not to take it up now, it would probably just have gone to another studio.

Articalys

Also, aren't there some cases like Fate/Zero having no single person specifically credited for series composition, or Mari Okada writing every Anohana episode herself? How do those differ, or is the group discussion the exact same and the only change is just in who eventually puts pen to paper?

Narag

I still think that Magi gif should live on as an example of finished key animation only instead of "magi sux here's a reason why."

Narag

I cant help but wonder if 1. this will get fixed in the bluray or 2. what it was originally was supposed to look like. It probably would have made for a pretty entertaining sakuga moment.

It should and likely a lot smoother. Only reason it's like that is because the inbetween animation was late arriving from the overseas studio.

Pooya

they could always do some frame interpolation to make it not look like that if they want to cheap out on the animation. It's not going to cost anything it would definitely look better than that gif. omg.

try some anime with SVP, it would look very smooth.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Isn't that pretty much what Imaishi and company did to Mari Okada in Black Rock Shooter? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom