• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hentai Ouji - 04

gLURtvQ.png

I...I...oh god. *faints*

faridmon

What's the opposite of watching Bible Black? Not watching Bible Black?

Well the conversation from few days ago:

You are better off reading hentai manga. Hentai anime sucks for the most part.
Yupp. There's so much sweet vanilla out there.
It's more about how hentai anime has even lower budgets than the already low budgets of regular anime. They look atrocious.
Black Bible, Yo
Horrid character design. All the girls have the same faces.
The animation though. Holy Moly!

even though it odesn't contradict anything, I just felt doing this:p <3 Regulus

Syrinx

To Loveru 9

So is Rito ever going to actually score or is it the curse of the harem protagonist to forever have his dong titulated but never actually knock it out of the park? Unless you're Makoto in which case you knew how that works, but being a typical harem protag may actually be a worse fate.

Not sure if anyone still cares about Date a Live, but the newest episode is a filler "Hot Spring" that really only serves for
Mana
appearing at the very end.

While episode 7 previews has
Kurumi
finally making her appearance.

To Loveru 9

So is Rito ever going to actually score or is it the curse of the harem protagonist to forever have his dong titulated but never actually knock it out of the park? Unless you're Makoto in which case you knew how that works, but being a typical harem protag may actually be a worse fate.

I'd say
Riko
has a better chance. xD

Chihayafuru 2 17:
The finals are underway, and then
Chihaya gets injured at the worst moment. But she's able to recover somewhat, and is putting Rion on the defensive thanks to the injury. Rion's backstory was interesting, so I can expect that the rest of the match between the two of them will be good. Hopefully the rest of the team can deliver, too.

The end of the episode was hot-blooded as fuck, and already has me ready for next week. I hope that
Nishida can finally come through in a big way this match.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 5

IT'S HAPPENING, etc etc.

This was a pretty nicely directed episode. They expanded on the original material in a logical way, and it's always nice to see more of Pixis. It seems like the anime is going to have more of an emphasis on the corruption and greed of the inner-cities than in the manga, as there have been several original scenes of this kind.

I think we can say that the production quality of the series is what it is, at this point. On the negative side there's a lot of still shots, off-model animation, distracting CGI, and other inconsistencies typical of a troubled production schedule. On the plus side, the art direction is consistently good, the background art is wonderful, the stylized character designs often look good even with little animation, and the storyboarding and direction of the series has been strong throughout. That last one goes a long way in keeping the series entertaining; it's much worse when the direction goes bad alongside the budget, as in some of A1's troubled productions in the previous year. Anyway, this episode had some pretty neat shots in choice spots. And even with the still shots, I like the illustrative style they use.

I think with the strong direction, and original material that expands upon the story in an interesting way, the anime could end up the definitive version of Attack on Titan. I think this episode highlights some of my favorite things about the series. I love how the
money shot from the trailer ends the way it does, LOL.
They really did a good job with the
subversion elements, especially with the moment I screencapped up there. Even to the end, they give you hope that Eren cannot be stopped.
It's going to be fun reading all the impressions for this episode.

Izayoi

Banned
Why Iori? She was always just there, like, just...not really present much. Why does she get all the popularity and birthday greetings? Tehy should be for Makoto and Takane and Azusa because they are the bestest
say it to my face not online and see what happens

yami4ct

I need to stop starting multiple JRPGs at the same time. Etrian Odyssey IV and Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturne have really cut into my anime watching time.

The real tragedy on the most recent ANNcast is the assertion that San Francisco is the best city for food, followed by Seattle.

I wouldn't be surprised. Even airport food is good there.

To Loveru 9

It will be titulated, and fantisized.

Pooya

Attack on Titan - 5

I was lmao all the way through, man their faces are priceless, I'm a terrible person.
Speaking of faces, Mikasa's face changes every episode, Akane (PP) of this season.

It would be really cool if they killed Eren here and narrative shifted to another character, would be quite unusual and somewhat effective way of shocking your viewers. of course it's not going to happen from a show like this, he is gonna get out surely somehow, so yeah it didn't really shock me here because I never expect the MC to die anyway, not this soon in a 25 episode series.

I'd like to see something like that though.

Hunter x Hunter 78

This shit is just depressing :(. I don't remember if they went into this much detail on the subject in the manga, but goddamn is it heavy. And things are only going to get worse. This arc is so damn cruel.

Suite Precure 15

Strange that I only have 5 minutes of this done, but I have doubts that this will amount to much.

This episode is practically the Ouji makes every girl (sans Hibiki) rock hard. Maybe Siren will regain her senses when he holds her again.

Will Tuxedo Muse show up again? Lord knows, but I'm assuming a yes.

Looks like a MY CRUSH MIGHT HAVE A BF, and Kanade crambles. So selfishness activates. COME ON HIBIKI, DO YOUR MAGIC!

EDIT: He made her blush. Oh boy. Happy birthday my prince. AND NO TUXEDO MUSE!

wonzo

Banned
Azazel-san Z 5

azazelz5.jpg

Kobayashi was my last hope and this episode was still kinda shit. :(

Maybe next week will be better... *sigh*

Instro

Hunter x Hunter 78

This shit is just depressing :(. I don't remember if they went into this much detail on the subject in the manga, but goddamn is it heavy. And things are only going to get worse. This arc is so damn cruel.

So this has now passed where the first show left off correct?

yami4ct

Hunter x Hunter 78

The way Hunter x Hunter is able to change it's tone from arc to arc fairly seamlessly is pretty phenomenal. Going from Yorkshin to Greed Island to Chimera Ant should be way more jarring than it is. Makes me excited to see what the next manga arc looks like when(if?) Togashi finally comes off of hiatus.

Tatami Galaxy - 6-11 END
I loved that three episode arc that focused on the MC struggling to choose between Hanuki, Jogasaki's doll, and a pen pal. Granted, that was mostly because I really liked Hanuki. She's the only other character aside from the main character that comes off as emotionally vulnerable yet she's also laid back and somewhat mysterious. They strike a nice balance with her where you understand why is she is this way without explaining it to the viewer much at all.
This scene in particular really stood out to me.
It's funny considering how wordy this show can get.

Although, that doesn't mean that didn't like the other two as well. The doll's story was pretty interesting to me as it's from the point of view of someone that doesn't get how another person could see a life size doll for more than just a big toy. Through extended periods of alone time "guarding" it, the MC starts to fall for her, but his libido starts to get in the way. Johnny is first introduced in this arc and leads to a few funny gags. Also looking like a muppet crossed with Woody the cowboy sure is inspired. The pen pal episode had some great visuals like MC riding a boat on a wave of pages and him describing himself as a fabulous shoujo male. Other than that, it was fine, but I should have seen the reveal coming way sooner than I did.

The second half of the show starts throwing in some small nods and other things that relate to events in past episodes that were pretty interesting. It isn't fully explained why until the very end, but given the nature of how the story has been told with most episodes ending by rewinding to the very start, it wasn't difficult to figure out. I did like how the end of 9 was getting introspective during the talk with Higuchi. It definitely started to feel as though things were beginning to come to a close.

Episode 10 was the only one out of all 11 episodes that just didn't click for me. It's an important episode for the ending and having the MC isolated in an endless loop of 4.5 Tatami rooms sounds good on paper. However, the execution of it is what hurts it for me. It felt suitably long, but the narration of him describing the room and finding things to do got pretty dull to me. The style never went away and there were still a few cool visual scenes. Him being by alone for an entire episode made it clear to me that this show really shines when he is interacting with the other characters and their antics. The reveal at the end saved it for me though I'd still say this is the only dud of the bunch. But a dud in Tatami Galaxy is still a very stylistically evocative dud.

The final episode picked things back up and was quite satisfying. It ends up going full circle which leads to an interesting climax that gives you a better idea of the situation having gone through the journey along with the main character. Everyone gets their happy ending and the MC finds his true raven-haired maiden.

Tatami Galaxy is a show that oozes in style as it bleeds into the visuals, characters, and writing. I loved the mixture of various art styles that stretched outside of convention. It helps and compliments the zany tone of the show despite some very grounded ideas and feelings that the characters have. The characters have very distinct, likeable personalities that are established from the get go. Some having more depth than others. There is some emotional drive here, but the style really carries and brings everything together in a good way. I liked it quite a bit!

I should really check out some of Masaaki Yuasa's other work now. Thankfully, I put Kemonozume and Kaiba on my watch list!

Attack on Titan 5

dzpBD6r.jpg

You mean people don't die when they are killed!?

Yep, that was awesome. That scene was damn effective, especially with
Eren's arm flying off.
I almost wish I didn't read the manga before this, because it would have given me an even bigger "wtf" feeling.

The people seeing this stuff for the first time are really in for a treat.

To Loveru 9

What do you think?

Defuser

I think it's safe to say the second surprised show of the season after Hataraku Maou-sama is Hentai Ouji. It's a fun show to watch.

Now......Team Tsukiko or Team Azuki Azusa?

wonzo

Banned
Muromi 5

muromi5.jpg

Still the third best show of the season (behind shiteaters & ERU ERUFU) and definitely much better than last weeks fairly toned-down episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Attack on Titan 5

Yep, that was awesome. That scene was damn effective, especially with
Eren's arm flying off.
I almost wish I didn't read the manga before this, because it would have given me an even bigger "wtf" feeling.

The people seeing this stuff for the first time are really in for a treat.

I want to feel like this, but the tropey characters are such a turn off.

As someone else said,
it'd be great if Eren was really dead. But since this story is what it is, I just know that the source material can't go there.
I'd very much love to be proven wrong next week, but I just doubt it. It'd be like when I said that Space Brothers might have been better if
Mutta ended up being a NASA engineer instead of an Astronaut
, but that just can't happen in this kind of story.

Articalys

Huh, you people posted a lot less in the last couple of hours than I expected.

Rewatch of Evangelion ep 1-6

It's interesting to think about how the series went from beginnings like these into the massive franchise it is today.

Suite Precure 16

A fight again between friends instigated by Siren, so Hummy suggested them to switch places by manipulating them into their respective fetish (cake fetish for Hibiki, Paw fetish for Kanade). This apparently did more than we realized
Hibiki stated that they must overcome without having to rely on Muse, and so they gain a new finisher

Siren actually posed as Hibiki's mother, and yet when they considered what was unforgivable, they didn't give a fuck about that.

Sooner or later Hibiki, you'll understand that Kanade is your Sumia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom