• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attack on Titan 01

Finally got around to watching an episode of this. Production looks stellar and everything feels crazy and epic. Ending of the episode was super depressing ;_;
Not sure if I like it yet.

If you don't like shows that are super depressing don't watch anymore of attack on titan

Branduil

the rapeman 1-2 end

"Are you a concerned stepmother worried about her daughter dating a spineless thug instead of a MANLY YAKUZA MAN liker her father? Well, worry no more as paying for a complete stranger (in this case, her childrens PE teacher) knows as THE RAPEMAN to rape her will set her straight and act like a proper woman should."

this is the worst thing ever. fuck anime

Literal rape culture.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate 13

I missed Oojima-kun so it was fun to see him again. The girls though I have no clue what show they came from, though, I think just about all of them are better than Chisato, why is she so not good, even the one that stuck by herself playing with the machines that seemed like a clone of the girl in KoiChoco was more interesting to see. Anyway, it was overall funny, and Shinonome said like so many variations of oojima, pikojima, etc.

7Th

Attack on Titan

Man, this series is fucking nuts.

Attack on Titan
Railgun S
Oreimo
Gargantia
Maou sama

Best Spring ever? Best Spring ever.

What's up with these noobs and their short-term memories?

Spring 2007:
DENNOU COIL
GURREN-LAGANN
Seirei no Moribito
Oh! Edo Rocket
Skullman
Lucky Star
Terra E
LoveCom
Darker than Black
Idolm@ster Xenoglossia

I don't think we will ever get another season that's nearly as good and varied. It was the peak of anime.

Jarmel

Banned
Key animation by Yoshihiko Umakoshi.

Yea, I wasn't familiar with his name till you mentioned it, so I decided to see what else he's done. I'm probably most familiar with his work on Casshern. He's done a ton of stuff though, a lot of which I've seen. Unfortunately the MAD doesn't cover most of the shows I've seen.

Key animation Hisashi Eguchi, Yoshiyuki Ito & Masahiro Ando.

He didn't (well, not directly), and acted solely as animation director and made the storyboard of the scene. In fact, he left nearly untouched the original drawings by Mr. Ando because he was extremely satisfied with the result as is.

This is surprising but then I'm not an expert at recognizing sakuga. These three I'm obviously more familiar with and it seems for good reason. They did a fantastic job with the whole sequence.

I know sakuga@wiki (作画@wiki) lists him as an animator on that scene, but YUTAPON himself talked about this clearly on an interview with ANIMESTYLE they seem to ignore (http://www.style.fm/as/01_talk/n_yutaka03.shtml). Maybe I'm the one not understanding well what he says there, but that is the impression this text gave me from translations of it I saw.

Checking now AniPages, and Ben makes mention of it in the comments section:
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/masahiro_ando

Thanks for the info, it's always fun to learn about stuff like this. The movie really does feel like it was done during BONES's 'Golden Age'. I hope that they can get as much of the CB staff as humanly possible back for Space Dandy. Watanabe really is great at getting the right people for a production and I'm eager to see what he does this fall.

-Horizon-

Space Brothers 56

The show is finally picking back up and it seems like Pico is actually an interesting character.

Oreimo 2 5 & Henneko 4

sis-cons, sis-cons everywhere and it was good

Zettai Boei Leviatan 5

I'm still not sure where this show is going but I do like the OP and ED for the show.
Oh yeah and swimsuits, can't forget the dragon girls in swimsuits.

Taruranto

I swear, you mix up two letters in a name and sometimes the weirdest stuff happens.

yes, I'm aware that it's a first name Mikasa and a last name Misaka, whatever

I read the manga and it took me 40 chapters to realize her name wasn't Misaka, but Mikasa.

They get Magi'd.

rKr1xhW.gif

I know i'm late, but i feel like this deserves to be shared once more.

ib1bRn4oyieKqs.gif

Westlo

Attack on Titan

Man, this series is fucking nuts.

Attack on Titan
Railgun S
Oreimo
Gargantia
Maou sama

Best Spring ever? Best Spring ever.

Not beating Spring 2011, sorry.

Spring 2012

Fate/Zero
Hyouka
Sakamichi no Apollon
Tsuritama

Best season.

Da fuck?

Spring 07 >>>>>>>>>>>>

Gurren Lagann
Seirei no Moribito
Dennou Coil
Terra e
Darker than BLACK
Claymore
Victorian Romance Emma The 2nd Act
Seto no Hanayome
Saiunkoku Monogatari 2
Oh Edo! Rocket
Lucky Star
Kissdum
(nah j/k LOL)

Bow down to the king. Though this season seems pretty good so far but hard to tell when I'm too busy playing Waifu Emblem.

Tenumi

Banned
HenNeko: 3 & 4

I'll be abducting your daughter for a while, ma'am!

I was considering dropping this series, but watching the latest two episodes changed my mind. The characters are drawing me in too well. Also, quite the cliffhanger there.

/XX/

Who is going to have the guts of slaying Lord "RMS" Stallman? They should bow to him as the giant savior he is:

架空線 – AERIAL LINE - : 第7話 「アルティメット・インストールフェスト!」 said:
http://www.aerialline.com/blog/wp-content/comics/ubunchu07/

Here is a English version translated by Anton Ekblad, and edited (also mirrored) by Martin Owens:

http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/ubunchu-07-ltr.pdf

And here is the rest of the English version chapters:

http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/c.html

Now, now... before someone mentions Richard Stallman frowning upon any approval of Canonical's Ubuntu; obviating the must-do 'GPL-compatible-only packages install' claims already made, he did support it as a recommended GNU/Linux 'distro' (main and officially recognized variants) in the past.

Thanks for the info, it's always fun to learn about stuff like this. The movie really does feel like it was done during BONES's 'Golden Age'. I hope that they can get as much of the CB staff as humanly possible back for Space Dandy. Watanabe really is great at getting the right people for a production and I'm eager to see what he does this fall.
Glad I could help you! We should both thank all of those who provide this information for the not-so-expert people like us. :)

Joe Molotov

Crime Edge 4-5

Good god this show gets more and more and more lewd. The lewdness factor is nearly off the charts. And it keeps rising and rising. There were some borderline hentai moments in there. And this show put MGX in shame with its implementation of drool.

The older Eureka lady is hawt.

Still really enjoying this show. The story remains as silly as ever, the characters outside of the main 2 are pretty worthless but damn the smutkuga carries the show.

Agreed. I came for the hairkuga, but I stayed for the smutkuga. And the hairsmutkuga.

There is nothing depressing about Attack on Titan;
it wants you to think it will be depressing, but it ultimately isn't.

I mean I found it depressing when I realized what direction the series was going to take when reading the manga...

Ultimadrago

Devil Survivor 2 - 05

Skipped to Airi. I wasn't disappointed.

ソプラノズ 1 - 63

This show's fun, but those two kids (A.J. and Meadow), those two damn kids are the worst type of characters a show like this could ask for. Nonetheless, they get more and more attention. They are written through the "bratty" teenage years and don't stop for air. They offer nothing different and no entertaining perspectives in the template like a number of the other characters. The mere existence of the two drags down the show considerably.

And because I fumbled on my backlog duties:

Wandering Son 9

Takatsuki really does look "Cool, Cool, Cool!". The amount of distance and off-center shots in this show only really stood out to me now. I'm guessing my time away from it has me picking up differences from the baseline I passively accepted before. It's that amount of distance that makes even the nicer times, like
Takatsuki asking Ni on a date
a pinch unsettling. However, it works and makes the interactions all the better.

Doi's talks with Nitori are also similar in this regard. However, because of the unfamiliarity with his character the mood is intensified (ex.
his signature straight-face directness used in asking Nitori to dress in his conventional feminine attire for school
). I'm splurging about the edits and composition because they define what the episode dwells on: Emotional distance due to societal boundaries.

Yoshino has been both a romantic interest and role model for Nitori. This segment is him overcoming the latter hurdle of expressing himself regardless of environment. It's another good episode and I'm glad I was able to get back in it so easily after an absence.

DiGiKerot

What's up with these noobs and their short-term memories?

Spring 2007:
DENNOU COIL
GURREN-LAGANN
Seirei no Moribito
Oh! Edo Rocket
Skullman
Lucky Star
Terra E
LoveCom
Darker than Black
Idolm@ster Xenoglossia

I don't think we will ever get another season that's nearly as good and varied. It was the peak of anime.

I fail to comprehend the need for the spoiler tags around that particular list entry.

Not sure if anyone still cares about Date a Live, but the newest episode is a filler "Hot Spring" that really only serves for
Mana
appearing at the very end.
I've never given half a damn about a hot spring episode before, but this time I'm legitimately annoyed it's happening before Kurumi shows up.

While episode 7 previews has
Kurumi
finally making her appearance.
All my life I've waited for this moment. Which makes it even odder that I'm not going to watch it for at least a few more months.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Xenoglossia doesn't exist.

I've never given half a damn about a hot spring episode before, but this time I'm legitimately annoyed it's happening before Kurumi shows up.

All my life I've waited for this moment. Which makes it even odder that I'm not going to watch it for at least a few more months.

It will be the greatest moment in anime history.

jbug617

Banned
Hentai Ouji To Warawanai Neko 4

I didn't see that coming.
Plan to move to Massachusetts to get married to her own sister was the last thing I expected.

Happy America birthday Iorin~

I think it's safe to say the second surprised show of the season after Hataraku Maou-sama is Hentai Ouji. It's a fun show to watch.

Now......Team Tsukiko or Team Azuki Azusa?

Team King of Steel

bitchslapping a mutt? What did the little dog ever do?

He bit someone while they were sleeping and Hime was like "I WON'T BE THE OWNER OF SOME COWARD" and then he proceeded to become a demon and die.

wonzo

Banned
Literal rape culture.
rapeman2.jpg

"Thank you god for having a successor in my former line of work rape my cat-burglar daughter while she dangled several stories above the city streets wrapped in reinforced cabling. Thank you god for making sure she was raped so hard she learned the errors of her ways and returned to the one place she belongs, being my submissive daughter that pushes me around in a wheelchair all day."

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars - 01

The first episode was going for a good start,
with Chibiusa going back to the future until Nehelenia gets in the way sending glass shards to Earth, from last boss to MotW.
Sailor
Neptune and Sailor Uranus return and later Sailor Pluto arrives with baby Hotaru, then they transform into their evolved Super Sailor forms, just like the rest, but this time I'll not be fooled, I expect new attacks and transformation animation, since they transformation sequence is really plain.
I don't know if I'm ready to live in a word without "Moonlight Densetsu".

Kurita

Kazoku Game 2

A very uncomfortable scene where the kid was bullied with a stun gun.
Thank god his tutor threatened all of his classmates by making fake suicide notes. Dude is really scary. Sho Sakurai is a perfect fit for the role.

Joe Molotov

rapeman2.jpg

"Thank you god for having a successor in my former line of work rape my cat-burglar daughter while she dangled several stories above the city streets wrapped in reinforced cabling. Thank you god for making sure she was raped so hard she learned the errors of her ways and returned to the one place she belongs, being my submissive daughter that pushes me around in a wheelchair all day."

Amen.

Anime GAF, what is the best (legal) way to experience Gunbuster? The "remastered" DVD box set of the original 1988 Gunbuster is really expensive. I seen some blu ray versions of Gunbuster that are infinitely cheaper. Are they a worthy substitute?

Theonik

Anime GAF, what is the best (legal) way to experience Gunbuster? The "remastered" DVD box set of the original 1988 Gunbuster is really expensive. I seen some blu ray versions of Gunbuster that are infinitely cheaper. Are they a worthy substitute?
The only BDs that are out on the west are for the movie which is a bit naff. Short of getting the JP boxset for the OVA I can't think of many other alternatives. Noting the JP sets are not the pretiest.

Sound of the Sky 1

So I flipped a coin trying to decide whether to watch this or Windy Tales, sorry WT maybe next time. The best part so far is the grounded but exotic setting and in those respects it kind of reminds me of FMA or Kino's Journey. I'm a little disappointed that the military music corp isn't some ragtag group of guys and gals from various backgrounds but I knew what I was getting into, still makes me wonder what could've been. Hopefully the upcoming SoL elements don't get in the way of the world building. Also the Ska ED was a pleasant surprise, in hindsight it's a really obvious choice given the premise.

zrumlIp.jpg
ddIGFaX.jpg

I love how the exchange in the first pic was handled which made it really disappointing that the timing was botched in the scene in the second pic.

Theonik

Gargantia 05
Good episode. Those swimsuits were beyond lewd too.
Poor ledo. Being subjected to horseshit yet again.
Dat Chamber meat grilling #TeamSenmetsu.

Conan-san

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars - 01

The first episode was going for a good start,
with Chibiusa going back to the future until Nehelenia gets in the way sending glass shards to Earth, from last boss to MotW.
Sailor
Neptune and Sailor Uranus return and later Sailor Pluto arrives with baby Hotaru, then they transform into their evolved Super Sailor forms, just like the rest, but this time I'll not be fooled, I expect new attacks and transformation animation, since they transformation sequence is really plain.
I don't know if I'm ready to live in a word without "Moonlight Densetsu".
So, uh, protip, skip about 26 episodes after the end of the
Nehelenia
Arc because they retred the same MOTW nonsese as before and are just tooling around until the fated date between Fan and Shit.

The first seven episodes of Stars are basically GaoGaiGar Final by way of Magical Girls and are pretty awesome. The rest untill
Galaxia decides to stop arsing around and start third impact herself
is arsing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom