• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rofl I use imgur to upload anime pictures I post here, and to my surprise those pics were getting comments on imgur too, kinda creepy lol but comments were mostly nice save for one who requested not to post anime pics.

I think that means you're submitting them to the "gallery" or whatever the hell the main hub is instead of just a personal account.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think that means you're submitting them to the "gallery" or whatever the hell the main hub is instead of just a personal account.
I just upload the the wild west. I probably should have an account to organise my uploads, but that's what I use my Minus account for. imgur is just a place to rehost something so I don't get a "NO HOTLINKING" image.

Theonik

Kubo school of background art.
Kubo's backgrounds like his character art effectively convey emotion to the reader few other craftsmen could even dream of making.
It draws its power from minimalism and friendship.
I wouldn't expect you to understand.

cajunator

Banned
YoMBW29.jpg

Going by the action scene, the girls wear spats under their skirts. No perverts allowed.

Spats are fine. As long as the show contains Cute.

Thoraxes

Well perhaps we should have some guidelines for correct gif etiquette. Like maximum dimensions and file size.

Been playing round with a new method to shrink file sizes down.
iYDOBzsAy1RH4.gif

Does this look ok?

So what's your method? I usually just clip out frames by hand to smooth animation and reduce filesize, but my stuff doesn't have any means to accelerate speed.

I also usually try to stick between 2-3MB.

Theonik

10MB is way way too much. You're missing the point of gifs if you need more than 3MB.

At this point it's better to make a youtube account.
I can't embed Youtube vids and force them to play on GAF.
Sadly.

Maybe 10MB max, and 500 x 500 max?
I'm fine with up to 20MB personally if the host isn't crap or they don't have shitty filters.
We should all start making APNG instead.
Edit: Now the real concern is quoting though that is a presentation issue.

Fuck me like a cartoon, that's horrendous.

Imagine all that bandwidth pissed away, especially when it gets quoted.
Both instances should be cached by your browser so you should be only loading the GIF once.

Thoraxes

10MB is way way too much. You're missing the point of gifs if you need more than 3MB.

At this point it's better to make a youtube account.

Basically. If you want to recreate entire scenes, just open up a youtube account and get it over with because you'd be better off just watching the whole thing.

Jarmel

Banned
Depends entirely on the amount of GIFs. Assume 20% of posts are GIFs, then at 10MB per GIF and 100ppp you are spending 200MB per page on GIFs.
Now imagine this over several pages.

I wasn't suggesting 10MB per gif as a standard. It's a nightmare for me to get under 6 at times. You also want the gif to be of a decent resolution unless it's a reaction gif.

Edit: meant resolution

DiGiKerot

Depends entirely on the amount of GIFs. Assume 20% of posts are GIFs, then at 10MB per GIF and 100ppp you are spending 200MB per page on GIFs.
Now imagine this over several pages.

My mobile data usage on my iPad went through the roof when I started using it to browse 'Gaf whilst not at home. Now I use the mobile version of the site so I can switch the bloody .gifs off.

Very little of value was lost.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So what's your method? I usually just clip out frames by hand to smooth animation, but my stuff doesn't have any means to accelerate speed.

I also usually try to stick between 2-3MB.
Import everything and then remove all the redundant frames. You can't just cut out every other frame with anime. I use a time of 0.04 for each frame so of course if two frames are identical and I remove one I make the one remaining frame 0.08.
Then I look at a scene where the animation between frames doesn't change too much i.e. camera pan. So take when Futaba is jumping up with the bat. I removed every other frame because Futaba herself changed every two frames and a funky background like that doesn't lose much when chopped.
Then I used to erase the parts of the scene that hadn't changed from the previous scene such as the other kids in the first part of that gif. This took ages. Then I worked out there is a much easier way of doing it as I posted earlier:

It uses blending layers, threshold and masks. If you can do that with your favourite image manipulation application of choice you should be able to do this.

(Go back to the original post to see the whole thing)

Then of course it's a matter of playing with the colours and dithering. If dropping the colour count affects the quality too much I'll shrink the image dimensions. I always start at 500 width for anime scene gifs.

If anyone else has some tips please share them. :)

Thoraxes

Import everything and then remove all the redundant frames. You can't just cut out every other frame with anime. I use a time of 0.04 for each frame so of course if two frames are identical and I remove one I make the one remaining frame 0.08.
Then I look at a scene where the animation between frames doesn't change too much i.e. camera pan. So take when Futaba is jumping up with the bat. I removed every other frame because Futaba herself changed every two frames and a funky background like that doesn't lose much when chopped.

Then I used to erase the parts of the scene that hadn't changed from the previous scene such as the other kids in the first part of that gif. This took ages. Then I worked out there is a much easier way of doing it as I posted earlier:

Then of course it's a matter of playing with the colours and dithering. If dropping the colour count affects the quality too much I'll shrink the image dimensions. I always start at 500 width for anime scene gifs.

That all sounds good to me. I do most of it, but you mentioned a few things I didn't yet. I'll have to look into more of this on my end because after i've done all the self-optimization I usually just go straight to the resolution to reduce filesizes. Your methods would definitely help me some.

The other thing I notice going frame-by-frame is that most of the stuff is always 2-3 frames per similar image, so I have to go slowly through to get it all right, then optimize further from there.

Jarmel

Banned

Color count and dithering are one of the quickest ways to ruin a gif. That said, I do need to learn how to do blending but I don't use Photoshop.

I always thought seeing quoted gifs is a bit more inconvenient in the size of them.

In what situation does any post need a 10mb .gif image posted in line?

If you're doing anything crazy like that, please, link to it rather than stick it in your post. Not everyone is browsing whilst sitting on a super-quick connection that'd make 10mb trivial.

I guess if theres a really good scene or what not. Didnt think much about the inconvenience to mobile users.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We should all start making APNG instead..
It's not even supported on all browsers.

Color count and dithering are one of the quickest ways to ruin a gif. That said, I do need to learn how to do blending but I don't use Photoshop.
Well as long as it can still convey the intended message. With live action you can go really low. Anime tends to suffer below 64.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

You know that quoting an image doesn't use up any more bandwidth, right? The image itself is only loaded once. It's just annoying to have to scroll through repeated images because people are being lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom