• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Newtype also has also a staff confirmation and key visual for previously announced light novel adaptation *takes a breath* Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. (I Didn't Become A Hero, So I Reluctantly Looked For A Part-Time Job). The plot summary, if you've (likely, as I did) forgotten about it:

Director: Kinji Yoshimoto (Genshiken 2, a few Queen's Blade series)
Series Composition: Masashi Suzuki (Oda Nobuna, Sacred Blacksmith)
Character Design: Tetsuya Takeuchi
Studio: Asread (Mirai Nikki)

If ANN didn't seem to be having a complete site failure right now, I'm sure they'd have an article I could link to, but this'll have to do for now. Crunchyroll is an adequate source instead.

Sounds like Hataraku Maou + Senyu + Hagure Yuusha.

But the original novel and manga of Hyouka and Nichijou got a big boost.

It's just sucky for KyoAni that not many people thought that paying millions of Yen for Nichijou or Hyouka is a good idea.

7Th

Hyouka sold consistently; the fact that sales didn't drop from 8k is definitely a clear achievement. Not a HIT, but it didn't bomb.

Jarmel

Banned
I really would have to see how much Hyouka cost before I could say whether it did or didn't bomb. Sales aren't the sole indicator of whether something bombed or not.

Branduil

I really would have to see how much Hyouka cost before I could say whether it did or didn't bomb.

Well, it was definitely more expensive than most shows, but let's remember that as an adaptation it exists primarily to sell the original novels, and on that count it was most certainly successful. Shows like Chihayafuru and TWGOK have gotten multiple seasons despite bombing on the sales charts, presumably because the production committees were happy with the advertising benefits alone.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, it was definitely more expensive than most shows, but let's remember that as an adaptation it exists primarily to sell the original novels, and on that count it was most certainly successful. Shows like Chihayafuru and TWGOK have gotten multiple seasons despite bombing on the sales charts, presumably because the production committees were happy with the advertising benefits alone.

Well KyoAni wouldn't be getting as much of a cut compared to their own material though. I'm not saying the whole project was in the red but I wonder how much KyoAni in particular benefited compared to Chuu24U or Tamako's Market.

Branduil

Well KyoAni wouldn't be getting as much of a cut compared to their own material though. I'm not saying the whole project was in the red but I wonder how much KyoAni in particular benefited compared to Chuu24U or Tamako's Market.

Well Tamako Market is both an original property, and it sold far less than Hyouka, so I doubt it was anywhere near as profitable. But I think KyoAni would have gotten paid for Hyouka regardless of how it sold, it's the production committee that would be losing money.

Mr.Jeff

Ef a tale of memories
I love the artstyle of this, its artsy and visually stunning, but the plot is just terrible.
It's just a bit overmelodramtic like most romance VN adapatations. That's a pretty accurate statement though since my favourite scene was the diminshing phone card conversation which I thought was really nicely done but was entirely unrealistic.

Jarmel

Banned
Well Tamako Market is both an original property, and it sold far less than Hyouka, so I doubt it was anywhere near as profitable. But I think KyoAni would have gotten paid for Hyouka regardless of how it sold, it's the production committee that would be losing money.

Oh I'm sure they lost money on Tamako.

Okay, I'm going to hold /XX/ down, and the rest of you can do the punching. >_<

You didn't enjoy the CGI?

/XX/

Okay, I'm going to hold /XX/ down, and the rest of you can do the punching. >_<
That is the CG future you wanted, duckroll... isn't it beautiful? :'-)

O.K., O.K., I'll stop now... :p

I think this 'Imaishi The Troll' avatar is influencing me too much...

Considering Nichijou bombed hard and Hyouka didn't exactly set the charts on fire despite their extremely high production values, I do not blame them.

Well, they're not living up to the production values of K-ON!'s second season and film, or Disappearance of Haruhi either, and those did sell very well. But of course, you are correct that high production quality is not what the market demands, unfortunately for myself.

KyoAni was on the production committee for Hyouka.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess here's a question: Would you rather have a KyoAni that has something every season or a KyoAni that does two shows a year? I'm not sure, to be honest.

Isn't that basically everything that airs on the CW?
I don't watch The CW, but aren't they still making 90210 reboots and crap like that? lol

OceanBlue

I guess here's a question: Would you rather have a KyoAni that has something every season or a KyoAni that does two shows a year? I'm not sure, to be honest.

Two a year. That leaves room for two-cours shows, lol.

But yeah, if it's a question of quality over quantity (and I guess it isn't as clear-cut as that), I'd definitely go for quality.

Well, they're not living up to the production values of K-ON!'s second season and film, or Disappearance of Haruhi either, and those did sell very well. But of course, you are correct that high production quality is not what the market demands, unfortunately for myself.

But all of those were made before Nichijou and Hyouka no? That would explain why they're of such high quality then.
And both of those are part of series that have already proven to be popular, so it's not like it was a huge risk for them to go all out on those shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Two a year. That leaves room for two-cours shows, lol.

But yeah, if it's a question of quality over quantity (and I guess it isn't as clear-cut as that), I'd definitely go for quality.
It all started with Hyouka, really. I don't know if K-ON is to "blame" in terms of a massive success allowing them to have the capital, financial or otherwise, to basically start making a show a season.

Speaking of KyoAni, looking at their Wikipedia page, I saw that this thing - Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai - came out right before K-ON!. Is it any good, or is that the last vestiges of Key-Ani?

Dresden

Tamako was good enough that I don't want to joke about the coming of NeoAni (outside of their shift to producing their own content) just yet. What we've seen out of the PV for Free hasn't been too encouraging, but there's always other shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamako was good enough that I don't want to joke about the coming of NeoAni (outside of their shift to producing their own content) just yet. What we've seen out of the PV for Free hasn't been too encouraging, but there's always other shows.
The problem is that Tamako Market was also a bomb.

OceanBlue

It all started with Hyouka, really. I don't know if K-ON is to "blame" in terms of a massive success allowing them to have the capital, financial or otherwise, to basically start making a show a season.

I wouldn't say that. They may seem busy now, but if I remember correctly, they were busier back in 2009. I'm pretty sure they were working on After Story, K-On, Haruhi 2009, and Disappearance around that time.

Edit:
Speaking of KyoAni, looking at their Wikipedia page, I saw that this thing - Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai - came out right before K-ON!. Is it any good, or is that the last vestiges of Key-Ani?

That's Munto, if that tells you anything. It's basically Kigami's pet project. He wrote and directed the entire thing, and apparently (I stopped watching it after two episodes, to be honest), it wasn't very good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wouldn't say that. They may seem busy now, but if I remember correctly, they were busier back in 2009. I'm pretty sure they were working on After Story, K-On, Haruhi 2009, and Disappearance around that time.
Oh right, I forgot all about Haruhi. lol

(Endless Eight is the studio's peak, surely!)

Not sure why people complain about the KyoAni's new way of pushing the in-house Light Novels.
It's not that the Key adapations were better than Chuu2 or Tamako for example.

BluWacky

Not really.

What I was thinking of was The Beautiful Life from a few years ago, which was about beautiful models doing beautiful things which is probably as close as you can get in Western TV to a show about bras.

Also, the CW is notorious for casting only the most beautiful 20 year olds they can in their shows, which is as close as you really get to fanservice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why do you insist on still calling it the CG Future rather than the CG Present? Denial ain't a river in Egypt girlfriend. It's already here to stay.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not sure why that matters, if we're talking about the supposed reduction in craftsmanship. They've had disappointing sales before, and they've been busier before.
If Chuu2 is successful and they can half ass it, why not just chase the easy money?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not really.

What I was thinking of was The Beautiful Life from a few years ago, which was about beautiful models doing beautiful things which is probably as close as you can get in Western TV to a show about bras.

Also, the CW is notorious for casting only the most beautiful 20 year olds they can in their shows, which is as close as you really get to fanservice.
The only other CW show that I know of is that Supernatural show... and that seems to be all about manservice. lol

That's Munto, if that tells you anything. It's basically Kigami's pet project. He wrote and directed the entire thing, and apparently (I stopped watching it after two episodes, to be honest), it wasn't very good.
It's before my time, but go figure.

Dresden

If Chuu2 is successful and they can half ass it, why not just chase the easy money?

I don't see why they can't do both. And as they continue to raid their competition stock of LNs, it'll probably depend on just how good they are. And others pointed out, Tamako probably seemed like an easy bet, and it was pretty good, to boot. Quality doesn't have to be independent of success--K-ON is one of the biggest merchandising hits of all time, for example.

They still have Takemoto, Yamada, etc. We've seen one bad show out of the last few years, in chuu2, directed by Ishihara of all people. It's not a trend. What's worrying is where they'll get their material from, but I doubt we'll see a complete transition just yet.

Shergal

I think the animation itself is not bad or lazy on Chuu2, for those character designs (which are undoubtedly inferior to Nishiya's and Horiguchi's).
The colour and art direction in Chuu2 are pretty hideous, though. They can't compare to anything else by Kyoani post-Disappearance.
It' closer to their KEY stuff, and seeing the staff I think that's no surprise.

As for Tamako, I don't think it's bad- It's better than K-On!, and on par with K-On!!, I'd say. The digital work and backgrounds were very polished and well-done, with some episodes being outstanding like the third one. The problem with the show was that their schedule was catching up to them, and so the actual animation for the episodes couldn't quite keep up with the standard they set in Nichijou and Hyouka. I personally think that Tamako 1 was extremely well-animated, both in consistency and in stand-out cuts.

I still agree that Hyouka's art and colour direction is unmatched, but I think that's more to do with particular staff members, rather than the studio as a whole becoming lazy or something. Shuhei Okude had his debut as Art Director and performed wonderfully, and the color designer Naomi Ishida has only worked for Haruhi in that post (including Disappearence). And Takemoto certainly has a more keen eye for these visual aspects than the other two supervisors at the studio.

Jarmel

Banned
The only other CW show that I know of is that Supernatural show... and that seems to be all about manservice. lol

Supernatural seasons 1-5 were legit great. Arrow itself isn't turning out to be bad either. Yes there are manservice aspects to both, however the core parts of the shows are good. Supernatural in particular has no qualms about pointing this stuff out.

Taruranto

You want them to look even uglier?

nxOITNq.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom