• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
@Jewelpet Sunshine 1

-Making fun of the mascots at every single chance they get

-Main girl being a huge bitch at every single chance she gets

-Mascots are GENUINELY MEAN

-Everyone is hyper-violent

-Obvious otaku-driven designs

Yep, this is the weirdest show for little girls of them all. I need more.

Don't do this to me, man, you know I couldn't watch the whole thing even if I wanted to!

The worst part about the swimming anime announcement is that people will feel that the Crunchyroll petition did something.

KyoAni: "what's a Crunchyroll? Can I eat it?"

Man, in the vastly unlikely hypothetical scenario that they ever were actually credited as part of the fan movement calling for this, it would produce the Novid rant to end all Novid rants. (COME BACK NOVID ._.)

So much bread on the cover.

Yeah, this'll be mine at some point, even if I have to sell my own bread to be able to afford it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There are some rather disgusting comments going around the internet with regard to Free!. Fuck (some) anime fans.
Yes, people supporting something so exploitative should probably be ashamed.

cajunator

Banned
I'm just saying that I wouldn't be visiting places such as the ANN forum. Not that I do anyway, but I don't think I need to paint you a picture of the kind of things people are saying.

I think I see what you are talking about.
Some people cannot handle not getting their way. but its notl ike this is the first fujoshi-bait show to exist or anythiong. there are lots. Is it because its Kyo-Ani?
They keep making K-On lite shows. Even I'm getting kind of bored of it.

Yeah, this'll be mine at some point, even if I have to sell my own bread to be able to afford it.

Well its not going to be expensive. Its Sentai after all.

A B level Hidamari is almost every other SOL.

So true. Its unfair to compare anything else to hidamari sketch (or K-On)
there are those and then there is all the other stuff.

Jex

"It's still a valid thing, anything is. I don't hate gay people but I don't want to watch anime about a group of guys half naked together. Not saying that makes them gay and I'll probably watch episode 1 but chances are it will be a very uncomfortable thing to watch none-the-less."

Geneijin

tumblr_mlv69bw90L1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mlv6eu39Ed1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Best three, though all five are epic. Rin and Nagisa favorite ones though.
I knew you would. Called it then.

YVx0KRG.jpg

duckroll

Some people don't seem to realize that KyoAni is largely made up of women and has long had a female following for their shows.

I wonder if they'll buy Free! though. I guess it's too early to say considering we don't really know what the show will be like, but I have a feeling that while KyoAni has a diverse fanbase gender-wise, they haven't really attracted a fanbase which is into "boys being boys" so to speak. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
... Wow, that's what I get for sleeping in.

New thread.

DTL approved KyoAni. Well, I made it through Waterboys 2 and that was live-action, I'll watch this.

So, Maou time.

Hataraku Maou! 04:

I'm pretty impressed with how well they've managed to keep things going forward at a good pace without feeling rushed. Also, landlady is super awesome. Can't wait for next week! :3

#TeamChiho

I wonder if they'll buy Free! though. I guess it's too early to say considering we don't really know what the show will be like, but I have a feeling that while KyoAni has a diverse fanbase gender-wise, they haven't really attracted a fanbase which is into "boys being boys" so to speak. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Considering how Tamako failed, the opposite direction might just be what the doctor ordered.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yes. I just want to be friends!

It's a secret to everyone.
Would I redact them if they were vanilla enough to share with other people?!?

KyoAni is divisive once again! Just when you thought the complaints about KyoAni only doing moe anime were getting old and complacent, they unleash new havoc on the (English) anime internet thing.

I'm not even going to bother seeking out the complaints because it's very easy to infer the nature of the whining, but I'm still positively bathing in the tears of anyone who's mad because KyoAni made something that can't tickle their dicks.

Jarmel

Banned
"It's still a valid thing, anything is. I don't hate gay people but I don't want to watch anime about a group of guys half naked together. Not saying that makes them gay and I'll probably watch episode 1 but chances are it will be a very uncomfortable thing to watch none-the-less."

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Jex

Judging by some of the excitement that I'm seeing around the web I've got a feeling they've got a good shot at it. They can't just leave it up to Sunrise, right?

Kurita

smh

cajunator

Banned
... Wow, that's what I get for sleeping in.

New thread.

DTL approved KyoAni. Well, I made it through Waterboys 2 and that was live-action, I'll watch this.

So, Maou time.

Hataraku Maou! 04:

I'm pretty impressed with how well they've managed to keep things going forward at a good pace without feeling rushed. Also, landlady is super awesome. Can't wait for next week! :3

#TeamChiho

Considering how Tamako failed, the opposite direction might just be what the doctor ordered.

Best team. I wont be around much this afternoon. Festival in town. There will be tens of thousands of cellphones and reception will be garbage. I shall return later tonight!

OceanBlue

Some people don't seem to realize that KyoAni is largely made up of women and has long had a female following for their shows.

I think what's more interesting about this is that Asahi is producing this with KyoAni (at least, they apparently are?). I wonder if this just means that Asahi is going to help KyoAni produce shows to promote their light novel brand, or if it means anything more significant for their content.

7Th

I don't get either side, to be honest. It's not like they didn't already do at least 3-4 shows for fujoshi every season.

Yeah, I feel like the people saying "Fujoshi are going to buy this in droves! KyoAni will be raking in the cash!" are really jumping the gun.

I wouldn't exactly say the first season was horrible. I mean YES it went out of its way to kill yuri subtext by involving a creepy romance between humans and mascots, but at least that's done well, unlike the other series being one-sided shilly-shallying. Although the mascot voices wanted me to die. It also gave us Milk, who was great because she served as a foil for Nozomi, which continued into its sequel.
The romance in Yes and i'm talking about nozomi & coco but Also komachi & nuts. is a real problem because they try to do it ..but never go for the finish.
At no point ever did they try to push this .We're left for 100 episodes in some weird limbo between those 4 characters where thy don't try at ALL to make the thing progress.

This isn't even a case of "one sided love" or "duty before love".. they all lacked the means to just act ..leaving God so many episodes wandering how just stupid those situations were and how naive any of the pairing partners were.

It's not , IMO better , it's a total waste. Heck they managed to push so many episodes despite nozomi crush on coco being obvious from the first episode without any sense of drama EVEN ONCE between them.

Add to the injury that milk comes mid season in YES! And they could have used her as a stepping stone for a couple to be born ( trully ) yet they didn't.

Trully Yes!precure is horrible not because it's bad ( it's barely average ) but because of the numerous missed opportunities.
The only good thing to note is the fast growing relationship between milk & karen.
And don't get me started on the lack of power from cure lemonade and the sheer USEFULLNESS from Cure Mint.

If anything, GoGo was a better sequel than Max Heart ever was.
500% agree.
Gogo managed to
-make everyone usefull
-clear every problem in personality from the cast except the sub plot of love. heck they turned the komachi sub plot from love to "respect"/"mentor" Looool
-Have a much much better scene of fight ( much better fighting scenes )

Oh yes... speaking of which...

Fresh Precure: The Movie

I actually watched this movie before Heartcatch the movie as part of the only two things I watched. So lets sit down for a donut.

So in a way, I wanted to see how this play out, considering the Toy Kingdom existed in the TV series as well. We are then greeted with Setsuna eating a donut and Setsuna in pajamas. And then Love, the worst looking Main lead Cure in the franchise. Suddenly toys disappear, and its up to the Cures to rescue them.... suddenly wild Love's rabbit doll Usapyon appears. So we're off to Toy Kingdom.

Asking for details on Toymajin apparently scares the shit out of everyone but one dude, who then makes them play a board game, seperating them into different scenarios to complete. What bothers me is how Cure Passion
is capable of warping throughout the fight with the King, she doesn't do this in the TV show, dammit Toei
. Berry is in space, Pine is with a Dinosaur. And Then Toymajin decides to go Fuck this, TIME TO RUSH THE MOVIE. Which bothered me because the development of this place isn't really expanded on.

We find out the ambitions at least
Toys with Abandonment issues
and then shit goes down, then MIRACLE LIGHTS, USE EM YOU SHITS, and happy ending.

I will be honest. When I first watched this, it was for 16 minutes..... and then I played Guacamelee for the rest of the day. And then I went back. This movie wasn't that well done, the animation seems like a step down from Happy Birthday in the Land of Sweets (GoGo's movie), and Setsuna/Cure Passion was the only decent part of the movie. Too bad she's neglected in powering up.

I don't know, it just feels rather childish in comparison to the other movies
You mean a movie for KIDS is rather CHILDISH WHAT A CONCEPT
, and therefore I feel the need to say Fresh Precure is this in a nutshell.

This movies is rough and doesn't feature many good ideas... To ruther my point it's the MOVIE that introduced the concept of miracle lights and for that it shall be remembered as one of the most pointless movie from the precure franchise

cajunator

Banned
I don't get either side, to be honest. It's not like they didn't already do at least 3-4 shows for fujoshi every season.

Yeah I dont see the big deal about this. Its not for me and I dont watch shows like that, but other people do. Its called diversity. Nobody is forcing someone to watch it. The only people who are probably getting mad about this are Kyo-Ani studio fanboys who want THEIR studio of choice to only make what they want. Well fuck you people thats not how the world works.
Itsl ike gaming console fanboyism. Its disgusting.

Geneijin

I'm not even going to bother seeking out the complaints because it's very easy to infer the nature of the whining, but I'm still positively bathing in the tears of anyone who's mad because KyoAni made something that can't tickle their dicks.
Oh, but they still are. Uncomfortably.

OceanBlue

If KyoAni does have a large female following, I didn't realize it outside of a few anecdotes for shows like K-On. Is it really that big? Are there large female fanbases for all of their shows?

Jex

"OMG the anime industry is really going down...seems like now i have the time to to graduate from college :/"

"Now proceed to apply lighter fluid to the eyes…
I honestly didn’t think I’d see anything more soul-crushing than Ouran Highschool Host Club, but I was truly mistaken. However it’s true that highly recognised fujoshi anime are far and quite few.

We’ll let you have this one… girls, we ain’t touching that shit."

"KYOANI SHOULD JUST GO BANKRUPT OR SOMETHING FOR TRYING TO CREATE AN ABOMINATION"

etc etc. I don't really want to post the offensive stuff.

Tell me AnimeGaf, would my party in BG2 make a good anime?

Boo would hands down be the best mascot character ever, mind you that's a very low bar but still. Minsc would steal every scene but otherwise I guess it'd be a weaker record of lodoss wars? Really hard to say much else about it.

cajunator

Banned
"OMG the anime industry is really going down...seems like now i have the time to to graduate from college :/"

I honestly didn’t think I’d see anything more soul-crushing than Ouran Highschool Host Club, but I was truly mistaken. However it’s true that highly recognised fujoshi anime are far and quite few.

"KYOANI SHOULD JUST GO BANKRUPT OR SOMETHING FOR TRYING TO CREATE AN ABOMINATION"

Were you actually surprised by any of these reactions?

duckroll

Yeah, I feel like the people saying "Fujoshi are going to buy this in droves! KyoAni will be raking in the cash!" are really jumping the gun.

I thought Tamako Market was a pretty safe bet for them too, seeing how it was directly targeting the K-On market they had built up with two series and a movie. That didn't turn out as expected either.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This movies is rough and doesn't feature many good ideas... To ruther my point it's the MOVIE that introduced the concept of miracle lights and for that it shall be remembered as one of the most pointless movie from the precure franchise

Nah; the Miracle Lights did ensure that every Precure movie finale henceforth would be a load of bullshit, but on its own merits Fresh still isn't the worst movie. That would definitely be the Suite movie, which was the show's own endgame repackaged and gutted of anything but the most perfunctory shell of a narrative. I'd even put it below DBZ 4: Lord Slug and Sailor Moon S: Hearts in Ice for the most generic Toei annual audience exploitation film.

The Fresh movie's true crime was that its entire finale was CG. Not just the villain, everything. The irony of a franchise whose entire business model is encouraging children to flush their toys down the memory hole every year for an entirely new line of plastic shit making a film where the villain is a toy upset about being abandoned by its owner shouldn't be lost on anyone, either.

saolickingtears.gif

The romance in Yes and i'm talking about nozomi & coco but Also komachi & nuts. is a real problem because they try to do it ..but never go for the finish.
At no point ever did they try to push this .We're left for 100 episodes in some weird limbo between those 4 characters where thy don't try at ALL to make the thing progress.

This isn't even a case of "one sided love" or "duty before love".. they all lacked the means to just act ..leaving God so many episodes wandering how just stupid those situations were and how naive any of the pairing partners were.

It's not , IMO better , it's a total waste. Heck they managed to push so many episodes despite nozomi crush on coco being obvious from the first episode without any sense of drama EVEN ONCE between them.

Add to the injury that milk comes mid season in YES! And they could have used her as a stepping stone for a couple to be born ( trully ) yet they didn't.

Trully Yes!precure is horrible not because it's bad ( it's barely average ) but because of the numerous missed opportunities.
The only good thing to note is the fast growing relationship between milk & karen.
And don't get me started on the lack of power from cure lemonade and the sheer USEFULLNESS from Cure Mint.

500% agree.
Gogo managed to
-make everyone usefull
-clear every problem in personality from the cast except the sub plot of love. heck they turned the komachi sub plot from love to "respect"/"mentor" Looool
-Have a much much better scene of fight ( much better fighting scenes )

Eh I think with Coco/Nozomi it sorta hit the max social link already. They clearly knew they wanted to bone each other (they share a kiss at least). But everyone else, even the "Urara/Syrup" thing was just there, instead of trying to develop what Yes! 5 gave it, it just threw it to the side. But yes. There was a big issue I had with Yes! 5, and to extension, GoGo. This is it compared to the rest of the series (up until Heartcatch for me). The side characters, or the lack of them. I can't give a shit this time about what a fodder characters troubles are. They amounted to nothing. HELL I forgot everyone had siblings or parents because they couldn't pay their bills to Toei to get an onscreen appearence (Like Miki's brother). This series was clearly more focused on the main crew than everyone else.

I think the other thing that was weird was Urara. She seems so different from before she was recruited by Nozomi. She practically became Nozomi Jr, but with an actual goal from the getgo.

Anyway, GoGo's movie introduced the concept of Miracle lights (unless somehow this came out after Fresh's movie), but at least it managed to stay interesting due to its sexual parasitisms. Fresh is still a terrible movie (and below average series with some up points).

*readies spaghetti and coffee for breakfast* time for Heartcatch 42.

Jex

The difference between this thread and the rest of GAF is that most of the people here are familiar with each other. There's a lot of ribbing and joking around in this thread, while the rest of GAF can get stupidly unpleasant in comparison.

Well, because people post here so often it's hard to imagine that, at some point, we won't step on someone's toes or offend someone or respond in a manner that causes offence. It's basically inevitable. However I do think we avoid, for the most part, seriously antagonising or attacking other posters because that's not the atmosphere here exists a the present. I can't think of anyone who I consider to be acting unpleasant or asshole-osh on a regular basis, which is a blessing.

cajunator

Banned
I thought Tamako Market was a pretty safe bet for them too, seeing how it was directly targeting the K-On market they had built up with two series and a movie. That didn't turn out as expected either.

Same. thought they were gonna clean up with that one. I think that one played the K-on card a bit too closely though. Hyouka and Chuuni were much more interesting ideas. Well Chuuni anyway. Hyouka was just really well made and had Chitanda and Misaki in it.

Jex

Were you actually surprised by any of these reactions?

Yes, if only because of how minor the announcement is vs. the reactions that it's set off in (some) people. The reaction is amazingly disproportionate to the trigger. Some people are clearly, personally offended by the very concept of KyoAni making a show featuring hot guys.

sleepykyo

Hah, sorry FMP fans.

---

Swimming animation is never going to be the same.

I remember watching BL Academy. Ready any kind of dripping joke and a couple of hamster jokes. Though I never got the whole hamster thing.

Also glasses dude better get 2 episodes. Kenta (from Amnesia) got robbed.

Kurita

Crazy how some people are so narrow-minded.
I mean, there's no romance/sex/whatever, I don't know how you can feel uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom