• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I fucking love how the name for Free's OP is "Rage On".

Well that kills some hype considering how bad Chuu2 turned out. This is the same award where they haven't picked a "winner" for the past few years right?

Probably to purposefully avoid certain prize obligations.

cajunator

Banned
Chuu2 wasnt bad, just not very special. It went by the rules and played itself out. Offered cute as necessary and started waifu wars. standard Kyo-Ani.

OceanBlue

Wow, woke up to news about swimming anime. I guess I wasn't really expecting anything other than more information on Kyoukai no Kanata, and at the same time all of the news (like Utsumi directing) sounds really interesting, but waifus man. ;_;

Apparently a major concern for the Kyoani swimming anime is the depiction and animation of water. I hear there will even be a water animation director and all!
This is getting better and better.
Oh god. I really want to watch this now.

One thing I don't believe has been mentioned here yet is that Free! is based on a novel that got an honorable mention in the Kyoto Animation Award contest, in this case High Speed! by Koji Oji back in 2011. Between this, Chuunibyou, and Kyoukai no Kanata, KyoAni has really been mining material from there.
Welp, that throws out my Kadokawa idea.

I was wondering if they had three Pony Canyon productions lined up. Apparently this is Asahi according to Ultimatemegax. I don't know why I'm so surprised at it not being Kadokawa or Pony Canyon, but I am, lol.

Defuser

One thing I don't believe has been mentioned here yet is that Free! is based on a novel that got an honorable mention in the Kyoto Animation Award contest, in this case High Speed! by Koji Oji back in 2011. Between this, Chuunibyou, and Kyoukai no Kanata, KyoAni has really been mining material from there.

Kyoani probably gonna pull a Chuu2 where they just use the concept and characters to create their own version of Free!

Shergal

Well that kills some hype considering how bad Chuu2 turned out. This is the same award where they haven't picked a "winner" for the past few years right?

Yeah it's that award.

Series Composition for Free! will be done by Masahiro Yokotani. He's doing Hataraku Maou-sama this season, and wrote some scripts for K-On!! (he did episode 13- the one with the weird dreams). Don't have much idea about him though.

cajunator

Banned
Kyoani probably gonna pull a Chuu2 where they just use the concept and characters to create their own version of Free!

Kyo-ani has the natural talent to turn almost anything into gold. Kind of strange that they have faltered lately although it wasnt the fault of their adaptations I don't think but weaker material. Unless those werent adaptations...

I detest having to wait for anything to load. I am a bit spoiled.

The single most noticeable thing you can do to speed things up is to get an SSD. Everything will boot up, load, and install much faster with even the worst SSD. The only downside is paying through the nose for storage space, no terabytes of cute without resorting to an external HDD.

cajunator

Banned
The single most noticeable thing you can do to speed things up is to get an SSD. Everything will boot up, load, and install much faster with even the worst SSD. The only downside is paying through the nose for storage space, no terabytes of cute without resorting to an external HDD.

I have an external HDD already. Im not very familiar with SSD. Is that solid state drive?
Whatever delivers Cute to me more quickly I guess.
This is important.

OceanBlue

It was dead obvious from the start that Kyo-Ani would turn that into something. thats a lot of work for a simple PV.

I don't know about that. They have a lot of PVs which look good (although I can't say they all have Nishiya, Ishidate, and Kigami working on them). I don't think I was one of the only ones doubting that the reveal was the swimming anime either.

I have an external HDD already. Im not very familiar with SSD. Is that solid state drive?
Whatever delivers Cute to me more quickly I guess.
This is important.

Yeah you got it, it's solid state drives. The samsung 840 or 840 Pro are the ones to get right now and no one expects any major prices drops on SSDs soon but you JUST missed a decent sale on these on newegg yesterday. :/

Defuser

The OP song name for Free! is called "Rage on!"

cnbs0n6.gif

cajunator

Banned
But Chunni sold well and a second season is coming.....

Maybe it was Tamako market then. Either way Kyo-Ani is clearly reaching for a market they typically don't bother with. Its interesting.
Chuuni didnt sell all that well though. not as much as some of their other properties.

faridmon

I am surprised that Tamako haven't sold well. Isn't it actually another KyoAni pandering to the same
easily exploitative
Otaku market like K-on?

It was dead obvious from the start that Kyo-Ani would turn that into something. thats a lot of work for a simple PV.

You should check out all their other ones. They're all pretty glorious and I would watch shows based on any of them in a heartbeat.

I always miss sales. A product of working all the time.
Like this for example. I NEED IT.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CMs-Haiyore...V_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item2c6c50406d

Smartphone shopping and RSS feeds to deal sites would be your best friends then, well as long as you can get away with fiddling with your phone at work.

cajunator

Banned
Lol, amazing.

I've changed my mind. This is going to be great.

Edit: If this really is airing soon, it would have had to be in production/pre-production way before KyoAni was aware of the sales for Tamako Market and Chuunibyou.

Thats interesting if true. So maybe it wasnt because of sales failures. I think they just wanted to do something very different.

I am surprised that Tamako haven't sold well. Isn't it actually another KyoAni pandering to the same
easily exploitative
Otaku market like K-on?

I guess Otaku just got bored with the usual formula?
There's a reason why I buy a large variety of anime in different genres and styles.
The same old stuff every time gets old fast.

duckroll

Catching up on this week's anime...

Yuyushiki - Episode 3

Fantastic episode. The best one yet. It perfectly captures the lazy, crazy, hazy hot days where friends hang out at someone's house or go to a pool during vacation days. The animation this week was really good too, with some fantastic layouts. Kinema Citrus is really knocking this out of the park. It's nice to see such effort applied on inconsequential subject matters because it just makes it more fun and endearing. <3

---

Devil Survivor 2

Episode 4

The Good:
- Preview confirms Airi shows up next week.

The Bad:
- Everything else.

Dreadful episode. Slow, boring, and ugly as fuck. Off model characters, bad animation, boring direction, just... awful. Ugh.

---

Aku no Hana

Episode 3

Wow, this was a really, really good episode. I'm really impressed with the direction and the mood tones here. The character interactions and dramatic arc is really impressive, and while I still have issues with the lip sync and some of the more awkward movements, the events of the episode made it much more bearable. Really compelling developments. The audio in the show is really an unsung hero too. The way sound and music is used to create and enhance the mood and how the main character is feeling is really spectacular.

---

Majestic Prince

Episode 4

Much better than last week's episode. Lots of backstory stuff here with Rin-rin and the MJP Project, and the origin and nature of the war with the aliens. The war stuff is starting to remind me a lot of Babylon 5, and I really like it. The theme of failure to communicate and not understand each other, along with what seems like an alien princess trying to make peace with the humans.... Minbari-Human war? :)

Pretty interesting I think. I wonder how much time they're going to spend with the school setting now. It's hard to tell exactly where the series is headed in general, but I kinda like that feeling.

faridmon

I guess Otaku just got bored with the usual formula?
There's a reason why I buy a large variety of anime in different genres and styles.
The same old stuff every time gets old fast.

I disagree completely. Why do Shit Jpop musician still sell loads if Otakus are easily bored? It doesn't make sense.

Duckroll, Can't get into Yuyushiki. It seems boring and most of things that happens feels random for the sake of it without any rhyme nor reason.

OceanBlue

I disagree completely. Why do Shit Jpop musician still sell loads if Otakus are easily bored? It doesn't make sense.

Duckroll, Can't get into Yuyushiki. It seems boring and most of things that happens feels random for the sake of it without any rhyme nor reason.
I think what you're getting at is that either Tamako Market is not pandering to an easily exploitable otaku audience or that K-On had to be more than just pandering to an easily exploitable audience to reach the sales it got. :D

faridmon

I think what you're getting at is that either Tamako Market is not pandering to an easily exploitable otaku audience or that K-On had to be more than just pandering to an easily exploitable audience to reach the sales it got. :D

... wat?

I was asking question about the sales of Tomako Market since K-on was so successful and it had similar hooks. Cajun made the point maybe Otakus were bored, which confused me, because I rarely see an Otaku being bored of his hobbie if the hook is there (going from Jpop phenomena) . But again, I am being told that the quality is not there so maybe that is the reason.

Because K-ON! is actually good while Tamako Market is only superficially like it.

fair enough. I haven't watched neither of them, so I'll take your comment as the reason.

Steroyd

... wat?

I was asking question about the sales of Tomako Market since K-on was so successful and it had similar hooks. Cajun made the point maybe Otakus were bored, which confused me, because I rarely see an Otaku being bored of his hobbie if the hook is there (going from Jpop phenomena) . But again, I am being told that the quality is not there so maybe that is the reason.

Maybe it's the Boy:Girl ratio.

So much bread on the cover.

I don't know whether to be proud or disappointed in AnimeGAF that no one made a melon pan joke yet.

But again, I am being told that the quality is not there so maybe that is the reason.

No, I don't think that's it, Tamako was actually really well executed with great direction and animation. I think the problem was that it just wasn't very engaging for the most part. I definitely feel it's one of kyoto's weakest from an entertainment standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom