• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

There was Oda Nobuna recently, billed as Madhouse x Studio Gokumi.
It's still quite uncommon for a show to have two studios jointly credited for the main animation production though, right?

Also, I'm remarkably impressed you knew that off the top of your head.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes. Very sure. They even talk about it in the article. It has comments from him and stuff. It says that Miyazaki really wanted him to do it and forced him to go through the audition process and stuff.
If Miyazaki wanted him to do it, why force him to audition! lol

Dude, would you rather Anno worked on more Evangelion? This is a great thing!
Miyazaki to star in 4.44 as old Shinji.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wow, one of those actually had pretty good animation.

Hire that kid Anno.

zeroshiki

If Miyazaki wanted him to do it, why force him to audition! lol

Miyazaki to star in 4.44 as old Shinji.

So he could say he passed and was qualified!

As stupid as this sounds, Ghibli movies are always voiced by famous (miscast) people anyway. Howl was voiced by the super famous Takuya Kimura of SMAP. The father from Totoro was voiced by Shigesato Itoi of MOTHER/Earthbound fame. etc etc

Dresden

As stupid as this sounds, Ghibli movies are always voiced by famous (miscast) people anyway. Howl was voiced by the super famous Takuya Kimura of SMAP. The father from Totoro was voiced by Shigesato Itoi of MOTHER/Earthbound fame. etc etc

Another new thing I learned today.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jewelpet Happiness 04:

Yds5Su7.jpg
ke2btNX.jpg

0J3X4g6.jpg
UDOzbzs.jpg

This show is bonkers. I'm sorry for the image-heavy post, but it's easier to entice people with visual gags than to kill jokes by dryly and methodically explaining them.

This episode finally put Ruruka in the spotlight, and I really adore the husky voice that Aizawa Mai uses for the character. It really helped to emphasize
Ruruka's initial annoyance at being stuck with Labula as her mascot partner. Even if differences were resolved by the end of the episode, Jewelpet dares to expose shrill, infantile mascots for what they really are.

I suppose this'll only mean something to hosanna since he's the only other one who's seen any of Kira Deco, but it weirds me out just slightly that in one season, there are no native humans in Jewelland and it's a society developed and maintained entirely by little mascot creatures, but in this series, they suddenly coexist with humans as part of a mixed society. What little I've seen of Sunshine, which predates Kira Deco, indicates that it's similar to Happiness in that there are humans native to Jewelland, and so their glaring absence in Kira Deco and sudden reappearance in Happiness is a bizarre bit of intentional discontinuity. I like that each season apparently tries to be something different, but if each season is going to take place in the same setting with the same core ensemble of characters, I don't think that the human presence in that world should be something that can simply vanish and reappear. It seems like something that even the target demographic would notice and be confused by.

Jewelpet Happiness 04:

I suppose this'll only mean something to hosanna since he's the only other one who's seen any of Kira Deco, but it weirds me out just slightly that in one season, there are no native humans in Jewelland and it's a society developed and maintained entirely by little mascot creatures, but in this series, they suddenly coexist with humans as part of a mixed society. What little I've seen of Sunshine, which predates Kira Deco, indicates that it's similar to Happiness in that there are humans native to Jewelland, and so their glaring absence in Kira Deco and sudden reappearance in Happiness is a bizarre bit of intentional discontinuity. I like that each season apparently tries to be something different, but if each season is going to take place in the same setting with the same core ensemble of characters, I don't think that the human presence in that world should be something that can simply vanish and reappear. It seems like something that even the target demographic would notice and be confused by.

I've only seen Kira Deco, but my understanding is that each Jewelpet season is its own continuity. For instance, humans can do magic in the original and Twinkle, but not in Sunshine or Kira Deco. The personality of the Jewelpets seems liable to change for each season too. So I don't think they're really supposed to take place in the same world.

CorvoSol

Dude, would you rather Anno worked on more Evangelion? This is a great thing!

No wait, what if Anno did a Miyazaki movie and Miyazaki did an Evangelion movie?

The Evas would be WAY more adorable.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 37

Yo, okay, hold on a minute. CHAR AZNABLE, you know, the guy who was a member of Zeon, who murdered commanders and friends in COLD BLOOD, is now advocating the full-scale evacuation of the planet Earth, and these people are listening?

WHAT IN THE GREAT BALLS OF FIRE?

No one should be listening. He's CHAR AZNABLE. He's a traitorous, cold hearted bastard, and he wants you to evacuate the Earth! Yes, the Titans are corrupt, but this doesn't lend credence to his wacky ass claims. Why is everyone on this guys side? Why are Hayato, Bright and even Amuro, who LIVED IN CONSTANT FEAR OF THIS MAN FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR in a rush to drop trow and take it from Char? I mean, yeah, he's Char Aznable and it is all well and good for us to joke that being Char is good enough to bounce you through whatever, but I'm straight up confused here.

I mean, I could believe "7 years and the loss of Lalah have changed Char to be a nicer guy" if it wasn't for the fact that he doesn't seem changed. Oh, sure, he's nice and caring to them, but then, wasn't he nice to Garma Zabi, too?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Huh. That's random.

Jewelpet Happiness 04:
It seems like something that even the target demographic would notice and be confused by.
So what is this thing anyway? A Precure knockoff?

So what is this thing anyway? A Precure knockoff?

No.

Wikipedia said:
Jewelpet (ジュエルペット Juerupetto?) is a Japanese media franchise and toy line created in 2008 as a joint venture between Sanrio and Sega Sammy Holdings, illustrated by the third character designer of Hello Kitty, Yuko Yamaguchi. The franchise was originally launched on January 15, 2008, focusing on animals named after jewels, birthstones and minerals, who can use magic using their eyes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've only seen Kira Deco, but my understanding is that each Jewelpet season is its own continuity. For instance, humans can do magic in the original and Twinkle, but not in Sunshine or Kira Deco. The personality of the Jewelpets seems liable to change for each season too. So I don't think they're really supposed to take place in the same world.

The setting is Jewelland in all of the seasons, isn't it? That's the basis of my assumption that they're all in the same world/continuity, but I could be mistaken. Elements of one season being removed or re-added in another wouldn't mean anything at all to me if the show made no pretense of having any sort of continuity, of course.

Valvrave 5

This show is special.

...and to think there are so many characters they are yet to introduce. ;_;

I don't feel like I deserve this.

More characters? There are already so many characters whose identities I barely know. No one has been given a background, motivation, or any sort of development, my brain will explode if they just keep churning out more of them.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well it's not about Mahou Shoujos as far as I'm aware of, but I think it's a parody of a genre nonetheless.

Jewelpet definitely isn't mahou shoujo. It's a comedy that just happens to heavily incorporate mascot characters.

CorvoSol

Forgot to mention that last episode of Zeta Gundam was worth it all just to see Seyla again. Oh Seyla, why don't YOU run for world president? And maybe also kill Beltachika for us?

Go_Ly_Dow

More characters? There are already so many characters whose identities I barely know. No one has been given a background, motivation, or any sort of development, my brain will explode if they just keep churning out more of them.

Well partly them as well. Just characters shown in the OP/ED and show in general that have yet to be properly introduced!

Show is full of boundless potential.

The setting is Jewelland in all of the seasons, isn't it? That's the basis of my assumption that they're all in the same world/continuity, but I could be mistaken. Elements of one season being removed or re-added in another wouldn't mean anything at all to me if the show made no pretense of having any sort of continuity, of course.

Sure, the setting is always "Jewel Land", but given how much it changes between seasons I don't think it means much. The name was probably part of the basic concept originally created by Sanrio/Sega, but each anime season is free to put their own spin on it.

zeroshiki

Man, so there's another weird competing girl-anime-toy franchise out there that also runs year long? Well, why not.

(I almost don't want to know what Pretty Rhythm Aurora is about...)

There are a lot. There's alslo Rirupuri (Little Princess?) and its basically the same thing. Magical Girls wanting to be idols this time.

251240_20100401_32_c20100401_riru_01_l_02.jpg

CorvoSol

Betterman 19

So it turns out the Super Human Institute is behind it all. Keita runs in fear of his own ugly reflection and meanwhile the cast is caught up in some serious introspective reflectiony stuff that seems right out of the last episodes of Evangelion. Interesting Revelation of the episode is that, in addition to losing his wife, Akamatsu also had children in his broken marriage.

ERU ERUFU SUPER HAPPY MUSICAL TACTICAL STEALTH OPS FUNTIME 5
valvrave ep 5

Sunrise and co continues to impress, surprisingly light on the musical aspects, i was expecting a full on music video dance number with ERU ERUFU and haruto to the tune of totsugeki love heart, unfortunately i didn't get that. what i got is some peacetime lulz including haruto's friend taking a page of the the silicon knights precursor games playbook and starting a space kickstarter for the colony called haruto's fund. I wonder what the streach goals will be? for 1,000,000 space bucks get the valvrave at your birthday party, it can make balloon animals!. Secondly we got some drill hair vs zettai ryouki slapping super battle, with some of the best bitch slapping this side of zeta gundam, so good it would bring a smile to bright noa's face. and this is all before the musical number.

so after the colony gets power restored, and to stop the fighting somehow haruto and shoko come to the magical conclusion that making a music video is the best solution to there problems. as a viewer at this point, i dont know wtf is going on. so they enlist best zettai ryouiki waifu saki rukino to do the requisite idol singing, and we are treated to a compilation of different scenes of student propaganda streamed through the space internets. the highlight being a-drei tossing his glove at the screen, a man dressed in a not gundam, gundam box, and bouncing boobs. of course this made the space kickstarter explode faster the susan wilsons internet scamming.

but the real highlight this ep goes back to our main man ERU ERUFU, whos creeper look stole the show, as haruto and best waifu got to know each other a little better in the valvrave. also it will be interesting to see what ERU ERUFU plans to do with his new found toys. the ed transition this week was fantastic, best show of the season.

cant wait untill next week!!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sure, the setting is always "Jewel Land", but given how much it changes between seasons I don't think it means much. The name was probably part of the basic concept originally created by Sanrio/Sega, but each anime season is free to put their own spin on it.

And if that's the case, that's fine. The franchise's strength seems to lie in the fact that it's not hamstrung by the plethora of traditions and standards that other plastic shit shows rigidly adhere to out of fear of alienating their consumers.

I should probably have familiarized myself more with the original series and Tinkle before commenting on the static/fluid nature of the setting; I've only seen bits of Sunshine and of course Kira Deco and the current series, and because Sunshine also seems to involve mascots paired with middle school girls attending an academy like Happiness, I assumed that Kira Deco was somehow an outlier in premise when this may not be the case.

CorvoSol

The Vision of Escaflowne 18

OH MY GOSH THE MAIN VILLAIN, EMPEROR DORNEKIRK IS ACTUALLY
ISAAC NEWTON.
HIS EVIL MAGIC IS SCIENCE. THIS IS ALL THE WIZARD OF OZ. ALAN IS THE LION, VAAN AND ESCAFLOWNE ARE THE TIN MAN, AND MERL IS TOTO.

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOHS OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH. HE LOOKS LIKE DR. WEIL FROM MEGA MAN ZERO 4

Branduil

The Vision of Escaflowne 18

OH MY GOSH THE MAIN VILLAIN, EMPEROR DORNEKIRK IS ACTUALLY
ISAAC NEWTON.
HIS EVIL MAGIC IS SCIENCE. THIS IS ALL THE WIZARD OF OZ. ALAN IS THE LION, VAAN AND ESCAFLOWNE ARE THE TIN MAN, AND MERL IS TOTO.

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOHS OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH. HE LOOKS LIKE DR. WEIL FROM MEGA MAN ZERO 4
You figured it out pretty fast.

Kurita

Daiya no Ace by Production I.G and Madhouse?
Sweeeeet! I hope we'll never get fillers and the pace will be good.
They have like 30 volumes to cover so...

Taruranto

Valvrave #5 - Lord of the FunFlies

Meh.

I want Saki to win the Valvrave ang Shouko to get crushed. When is ERU-ELFERU going to do something awesome again? :( Or at least get some more interactions with his ex-boyfriend(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom