• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not terrible

I'm exaggerating, but it's definitely the low point of the show.

Man, now that it's starting to settle in, I'm depressed. All the anticipation for 3.33, and now that it's come and gone, the waiting begins anew for Final.

After how terrible 3.33 was, I'm pretty ambivalent to the whole thing. Low expectations will do that I suppose.

[Seikon no Qwaser] 01

I'm glad to know that breast sakuga continues to exist in this world of cute girls doing cute things and DFCs, I just don't know if breast sakuga is enough to carry a show by itself.
Hah. What inspired you to watch this?

Kazzy

I'm of the opposite view; I can see how polarizing the movie was, but the ending does make me really excited for what direction things will go in Final.

I view it as a delicate balancing act. They've already dropped most of the plates, and now I'm interested to see whether or not they can make it to the end - with plates.

wonzo

Banned
What do you have against Japanese Jay Leno?
technically that's actually this guy

photokano4.jpg

Articalys

Eva 3.33

I mean, I don't want to talk about it much more at length here because I hate making spoiler-filled posts, but anyway:

Moving the setting to a time-skipped void of a nearly-dead world with only a couple dozen characters that seem to exist was of course a huge shift, completely breaking away from nearly everything the series was before. But for whatever reason, be it I want to be shocked and entertained, or just that it gives them a clean slate to work on with most connections to the original being gone, I'm really interested in what's next for the story.

I dunno. I just don't seem to be as upset about it as others are. I guess I'm part of the camp that holds the insane belief that Final will actually be a true conclusion, and not like EoE?

Man, it's going to take a while to get over the post-anticipation phase; it's going to be even worse after Final when Rebuild is completely over.

I guess for now I should quickly move on to one of the shows on my backlog...

Nanoha film 1

Someone mentioned this here and on a whim I decided to watch it. And I was pleasantly surprised, this is much better than the TV show that I never really cared much for. Maybe I should watch A's. Should I just go right to the film for that one?

fertygo

Eva 3.33

I mean, I don't want to talk about it much more at length here because I hate making spoiler-filled posts, but anyway:

Moving the setting to a time-skipped void of a nearly-dead world with only a couple dozen characters that seem to exist was of course a huge shift, completely breaking away from nearly everything the series was before. But for whatever reason, be it I want to be shocked and entertained, or just that it gives them a clean slate to work on with most connections to the original being gone, I'm really interested in what's next for the story.

I dunno. I just don't seem to be as upset about it as others are. I guess I'm part of the camp that holds the insane belief that Final will actually be a true conclusion, and not like EoE?

Man, it's going to take a while to get over the post-anticipation phase; it's going to be even worse after Final when Rebuild is completely over.

I guess for now I should quickly move on to one of the shows on my backlog...

Its a fun flick, I enjoy it too.. only the first 30 minute that make me angry because everyone act like ass.

"Yo let save the kid before enemy got him"

"proceed to ridicule him just after that"

So what I get from animegaf is that Precure movies are shit and Nanoha movies are amazing.

The Heartcatch movie was actually pretty good with a better main villain than the actual show. I haven't seen any of the others but no one should be surprised that the giant crossover movies are all considered terrible.

Hyōka

Yay or nay?

Yay all the way. If you enjoy speculation and seeing Kyoto throw money at the screen all day then it's a no brainer. At worst there are some weaker non arc episodes and a weaker arc as well but there are quality moments in most of those that make even those worthwhile. If nothing else you should at least watch enough to see the greatest school festival episodes ever made.

Nanoha - 6

Well after some cute backstory, we get some more Nanoha V.S. Fate action.

I like how even in human form, the wolf girl still eats dog food.

I'm confused, is Nanoha controlling that wand? Or is the wand controlling itself at some points? Is it a fashion similar to Code Geass
where Suzaku automatically acts on his own whenever he's about to die with the "Live" command?

I lol'd when she walked off the screen and I heard the slapping sound effect. That would have been hilarious if it weren't for the next scene.

Wasn't expecting both staves to break like that. I didn't think they hit that hard. Welp, on to episode seven!
The wand is an "intelligent device" so it help with targetting and also helps a LOT with defense and timing ( for binds ) . Defense becomes automatic if the user is in danger.

So what I get from animegaf is that Precure movies are shit and Nanoha movies are amazing.
Some precure movies are shit . But only some of them.MOst of them are good for a watch and 3 of them are awesome material.
(max heart movie 2, heartcatch movie, dx1 movie )
Some might even argue that the movies are the only good thing in the "Precure gogo Yes! " universe.
The Vision of Escaflowne 19

OH MY GAW. OH MY GAW. OH MY GAW. THE VILLAIN'S MASTER PLAN IS
TO MAKE HITOMI FALL IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE OTHER THAN VAN.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Escaflowne: An anime where
Isaac Newton uses Atlantian technology to stay alive while trying to woo a japanese girl away from her multiple love interests. Now with giant robots.

You can't see me but I'm crying from how beautiful this is.
The main vilain plan is control ..they just realised that they can't win with the "fate " against them.
SO they just changed the fate of the characters.
What you saw is a consequence , not the goal of the main vilain.

duckroll

Do we know yet who the color coordinator/s is (or are) for this project?

For Border Pain the color designers are Yumiko Katayama and Mayumi Sato. The director of photography for the entire project is Hiroshi Tanaka, who seems to do pretty much all the composite direction in IG these days.

Kazzy

Poor choice of words on my part. I guess I was trying to say something about the ending of EoE, but I'm not sure what.

I guess some would level its obtuseness against it, though that scope for interpretation (perceived or otherwise) is what I admire about Evangelion.

Jex

Amateurish looking implementation of rotoscope animation is not what I would consider "well made" but then again I could only stomach the first episode so perhaps it gets less fugly?

Someone should post more screens of dat Studio Pablo backgrounds, tho.

The rotoscoped animation certainly looks better as the series progresses, although it's always slightly off-putting, but that's not really what I was talking about when I said the show was well made. The craftsmanship that I praise is present in the visual and aural direction: the art design, the backgrounds, the cinematography, the editing and the soundscape. It's all superb.

Jintor

Maou-Sama 05

This show's fucking amazing. I swear to god. A perfect blend of comedy and action, all with a competent hero (well, protagonist).

Jesus Maou-sama you're kind of OP huh

A little annoyed that the immigrants apparently perfectly understand Japanese straight-off though with none of Maou's hilarious mishaps.

DiGiKerot

Nanoha film 1

Someone mentioned here this and on a whim I decided to watch it. And I was pleasantly surprised, this is much better than the TV show that I never really cared much for. Maybe I should watch A's. Should I just go right to the film for that one?

I'd watch both if you're into the Nanoha First movie. Movie 2nd is divergent enough from the TV show in how it handles things that it'd entertaining regardless, but the TV version has a nice, breathless pacing that the movie somehow fails to entirely capture despite being shorter than it.

That said, the pyrotechnics in Nanoha 2nd are pretty darn spectacular.

duckroll

The rotoscoped animation certainly looks better as the series progresses, although it's always slightly off-putting, but that's not really what I was talking about when I said the show was well made. The craftsmanship that I praise is present in the visual and aural direction: the art design, the backgrounds, the cinematography, the editing and the soundscape. It's all superb.

I don't think the rotoscope animation gets any better really. I even went back to episode 1 to check. The actual quality and effort hasn't improved. Some episodes exhibit less problems because of the framing choice or the fact that some scenes rely on stuff which doesn't show the weakness of the production. Otherwise episode 5 is every bit as bad as episode 1 when looking objectively at the rotoscope animation quality. I think people who are still watching it have mostly gotten used to it, but that doesn't mean it gets better. It is what it is.

Caught Steins;Gate Fuka Ryouiki no Deja Vu today.

Some really brief thoughts since I haven't even started my review yet. I think White Fox forgot they were making a feature film, as the animation quality is pretty consistent with the TV show. It looks like a 90 minute TV episode, though I wasn't expecting much better. The CG crowds were pretty terrible (like the series), as were the cars etc. I'd strongly urge people to lower their expectations if for some reason you were thinking it'd look amazing.

The main character here is very clearly Kurisu. It's her story (and Okabe's), and while everyone else gets a fair chunk of screen time, this is a much smaller story than the one from the source material. I've read stuff from folks who were disappointed it wasn't a grander tale, but I find that silly since pretty much all the promotional stuff has said that this is Kurisu's movie.

How is it? I liked it quite a lot. It's a very focused effort, so there's not a whole lot of fat in its 90 minute runtime. I saw it in a theater full of men and women, and nearly 75% of the theater was sniffling and tearing up by the end, myself included. This feels very consistent with the original game and TV show.

For those of you who've played the game btw, the film makes references to certain paths that were only in the visual novel, which I thought was a nice way of acknowledging both versions.

I think the best way to describe it is by calling it an extended epilogue. Really glad I caught it.

Jintor

Maou-sama 06

Hoo boy, Lucifer really adapts quick, lol. This show's just great.

Man, what's with this clock thing in the ED...?

Metrotab

Banned
Samurai Champloo - 16

I really wanna know what the deal is with the Sunflower Samurai.
Those rapping guys in the beginning were funny. YO!

wonzo

Banned
Photo Kano 5-6

photokano5.jpg

Huh, these two episodes were actually pretty good even if the drama was a tad bit overbearing at times. I guess the lack of the constant creepercam™ in episode 5 certainly helped give this arc a more "well-balanced" tone than the first 4 introductory episodes. It definitely looks like this'll be doing an Amagami SS kinda omnibus thing but with a single episode dedicated to each one of the girls in the ED.

Taruranto

Hyōka

Yay or nay?

Hyouzzzzzzzz.

The Vision of Escaflowne 19

OH MY GAW. OH MY GAW. OH MY GAW. THE VILLAIN'S MASTER PLAN IS
TO MAKE HITOMI FALL IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE OTHER THAN VAN.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Escaflowne: An anime where
Isaac Newton uses Atlantian technology to stay alive while trying to woo a japanese girl away from her multiple love interests. Now with giant robots.

You can't see me but I'm crying from how beautiful this is.

I'm not sure whatever i regret dropping this or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom