• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've largely been ignoring worrying about the translation conventions for the most part, since it's not really getting in the way of the plot. The only time they've made a point that a non-Japanese character clearly doesn't know Japanese anyway is the one guy that makes stupid kanji t-shirts.
I think with Space Brothers specifically, it's made worse because the show tries to be grounded in reality most of the time. Add to the fact that the movie was not only shot at NASA, but that they had the characters speak the appropriate language at the appropriate time and it just shows that it's possible to do properly.

Certainly, I know that it's not a thing that I have any right to complain about, but every time it happens - and it happens often - it just sort of breaks the show for me.

Of course, it's impossible for them to do the Moyashimon thing and have a sign that flashes on the screen telling you what language they are speaking, since you'd basically need to have a little sign on screen for the entire episode, but I just wouldn't mind some sort of convention/standard.

Same thing with the Maou-sama stuff, I guess. Unless they raise it as a critical plot-point issue that character A is speaking in language A, I'm basically "eh, whatever."
It's something you could easily explain with magic in half a sentence and I would've been satisfied though...
I assume it is magic, either that or they're just quick learners or something. The fact that it's a comedy series probably helps as well.

Sort of like Allo Allo, which was a British sitcom about Germans living in France during WW2, but everyone spoke English. lol

Steroyd

Yeah I don't like Oreimo much, but I don't know why people are complaining about the incest angle now. It's been there since the beginning.

Now that it is getting closer towards the end, the incestuous connotations are getting more pronounced, and I guess it's starting to rub people the wrong way who thought that show really was just about the mending of a broken brother-sister relationship.

As for me, the incest angle don't bother me much. My eyes were wide open on that front. What's more bothersome is how the show is dominated by such a crappy character (Kirino). Her bitchiness is NOT cute; it's annoying and tired.

In the first season, just about the only things people had linked towards incest was Kirino's eroge and the title of the show, if you came in expecting an incest show like all the other incest shows, you would have came out of it dissapointed or trolled. The sole focus was genuinely about big brother helping the most hateful bitch of a little sister.

I find it faintly amusing that the most vicious complaints about the original Oreimo seies was that it pandered to people with an incest fetish, when really that wasn't a fair complaint at all. However, as the series has developed that's now a completely legitimate complaint. Amazing.

It truly is amazing, then again Kyosuke did pretty much solve all of Kirino's problems so... may as well cash in I suppose. ¯\(o_o)/¯

Kurita

This reminds me of the Nodame Cantabile drama when they're in France. When the arc begins, they speak in French.
At some point a message pop up saying that everybody will now speak in Japanese to avoid subtitles :lol
Turns out these "French" people seem to speak Japanese better than they speak French :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In the first season, just about the only things people had linked towards incest was Kirino's eroge and the title of the show, if you came in expecting an incest show like all the other incest shows, you would have came out of it dissapointed or trolled. The sole focus was genuinely about big brother helping the most hateful bitch of a little sister.
Yeah, I think it just went into full wahjah when they started getting jealous of each other this week.

This reminds me of the Nodame Cantabile drama when they're in France. When the arc begins, they speak in French.
At some point a message pop up saying that everybody will now speak in Japanese to avoid subtitles :lol
Turns out these "French" people seem to speak Japanese better than they speak French :lil
Yeah, I mean, at some point the audience will go along with it as long as you just tell them the rules of the world that you're showing.

Jintor

Sort of like Allo Allo, which was a British sitcom about Germans living in France during WW2, but everyone spoke English. lol

Right, but they weren't speaking German/French to other people who were responding in English. It's mainly the mixing of the languages that bugs me, since for all intents and purposes they were just straight-up speaking Japanese and they should've gone either all the way with the translation convention or explained it away.

But whatever, it's a minor thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right, but they weren't speaking German/French to other people who were responding in English. It's mainly the mixing of the languages that bugs me, since for all intents and purposes they were just straight-up speaking Japanese and they should've gone either all the way with the translation convention or explained it away.

But whatever, it's a minor thing.
Ah, yeah, that's fair enough.

jgminto

Gurren Lagann 5

The limited use of colour for this episode was an interesting decision. It certainly drives home the bleakness of the situation, although it's not very nice to look at but I think it was worth it for the return of colour at the end of the episode. Kamina's confrontations with the chief were entertaining but the village censoring Yoko automatically makes this the worst episode ever.

Articalys

I think with Space Brothers specifically, it's made worse because the show tries to be grounded in reality most of the time. Add to the fact that the movie was not only shot at NASA, but that they had the characters speak the appropriate language at the appropriate time and it just shows that it's possible to do properly.
To be fair I've never seen the live action movie -- you're saying that whenever the Japanese guy playing Mutta is speaking with one of the American actors, he talks with them in English? Are there a lot of conversations like that?

Having the characters speaking English for half the series just wouldn't work from any sort of logistical point of view (especially because you'd have to be casting voice actors who could speak fluent English).

I've never found it hard to substitute the whole 'okay, these characters are actually speaking in language X' in my mind.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[OreImo 2] 06

I shouldn't like this... but I kinda do?

This is the smut anime I was searching for. Sure, there's not much in skinship, but I kinda want to see where this goes even if it has very little resemblance to what made the first season good in the first place.

PsionBolt

Dokidoki Precure - 15

It's a MakoP episode, but she's been dropping slightly in my rankings lately. Probably not coincidentally, this episode's first half wasn't that interesting. Maybe it's just a Precure trend, but this episode's best moments belonged to everyone but MakoP. Mainly Mana, as always, but also Alice and Sebas-chan, and even Davi!

How many people call themselves 'queen' in this town anyway? Probably only one or two more, but still.

Regina was much more childish this episode, especially in voice. I don't know how I feel about that... But she's very cute.
It is nice that she's finally active, too. And she's as hacked as I'd hoped! Magically forcing selfishness into hearts, cutting off stock footage, giving zero fucks about losing.
The next few episodes are going to be great, I can tell.

This week's Selfish
was pun-tastic again. That makes me happy. Thanks to Regina, it was also strong enough to require new stock footage! And how glorious that footage was. HeartWink.gif was heart attack inducing already, but the new quadruple assault is approaching Peace tier.

Next episode looks fantastic.
Regina is added to Mana's harem, resulting in a feeling so complicated from the others.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair I've never seen the live action movie -- you're saying that whenever the Japanese guy playing Mutta is speaking with one of the American actors, he talks with them in English? Are there a lot of conversations like that?
Yes, quite a few. It's been a while, but all of the conversations between the astronauts themselves and with mission control were in English, as was the press conference that the astronauts give in the beginning of the film. Even the meeting between Mutta and
Buzz Aldrin
was in English. That said, the guy who plays Mutta was pretty Engrishy, but the guy who plays Hibito was okay.

Having the characters speaking English for half the series just wouldn't work from any sort of logistical point of view (especially because you'd have to be casting voice actors who could speak fluent English).

I've never found it hard to substitute the whole 'okay, these characters are actually speaking in language X' in my mind.
You could do various things though. For example, one convention in anime is to have the foreigner speak "gaijin" Japanese to remind you that they're foreigners.

The writers of the anime could just be more careful to remove any continuity errors that happen because everyone is speaking Japanese though.

Blitzendegen!
Theory: Ledo's forces are the remnants of the Dorsian military from the distant future.

This is just like Accel World being Sword Art Online's future.

That would be incredibly cool if Gargantia is post-Valvrave, considering how similar the cockpit is in both mechs lol

Too bad its completely different companies

Jintor

Would fucking love it if they did cast VAs who can speak the language fluently though if required (just speaking generally). I bet it would be super difficult though.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head where a Japanese character spoke english fluently (or even where a foreign character spoke their language fluently) and their VA match'd it. Oh man, Genshiken lol

trejo

Oreimo S2 6

YhXfXwm.gif

[OreImo 2] 06

I shouldn't like this... but I kinda do?

This is the smut anime I was searching for. Sure, there's not much in skinship, but I kinda want to see where this goes even if it has very little resemblance to what made the first season good in the first place.

Pretty much how I feel about the show too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Would fucking love it if they did cast VAs who can speak the language fluently though if required (just speaking generally). I bet it would be super difficult though.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head where a Japanese character spoke english fluently (or even where a foreign character spoke their language fluently) and their VA match'd it. Oh man, Genshiken lol

I only remember this because of the podcast I do, but there was that episode in Squid Girl where the scientist lady speaks somewhat decent English.

The minor characters in the K-ON movie spoke English too (although they were redubbed in the English dub lol).

I'd rather them speak in Japanese and suspend my disbelief than listen to that sort of awful English.

I only remember this because of the podcast I do, but there was that episode in Squid Girl where the scientist lady speaks somewhat decent English.

Don't forget, they're all MIT grads

who can barely speak english

who are inexplicably on a beach in japan

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to find some Japanese-American voice actors, born in the states for straight American accents but can speak Japanese.

Articalys

Actually, I think there were a few scenes in Black Lagoon that made a deal out of characters speaking different languages. Forget exactly which ones, though I do remember a couple instances of terrible Engrish from Megumi Toyoguchi, and I believe there was a scene in the dub with Brad Swaile speaking Japanese.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don't forget, they're all MIT grads

who can barely speak english

who are inexplicably on a beach in japan
Well, this is a universe where a girl lives in the ocean. lol

Actually, I think there were a few scenes in Black Lagoon that made a deal out of characters speaking different languages. Forget exactly which ones, though I do remember a couple instances of terrible Engrish from Megumi Toyoguchi, and I believe there was a scene in the dub with Brad Swaile speaking Japanese.
You know, this reminds me of Jormungand and how everyone on the show is supposed to be from a different country. Yet it never bothered me that they all spoke Japanese in that show, because it never really came up as something to be worried about. Go figure.

Jarmel

Banned

It's the Tokyo arc. The main characters have actually been speaking English all along. Which is funny when the VAs try to really speak English.

jgminto

Gurren Lagann 6

Aside from the recaps this was a great episode. Sexy, great action, fun character moments! Shame about the recaps.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I know it's not particularly hard to do, but Regina is easily the best thing about Doki Doki so far.
Too bad the fifth Cure spot is reserved for
the queen. :/
Gurren Lagann 6

Aside from the recaps this was a great episode. Sexy, great action, fun character moments! Shame about the recaps.
You are watching the edited for tv version. The complete version has no recaps and more sexy.

cajunator

Banned
So have they told us why Kirino is blonde? I mean, in all her photos as a little kid she's much darker haired. Did she bleach it for her modeling gig?

Gotta establish that female inferiority in the show

Maybe Kirino is like Miki from Idolmaster.
she has a much more superior form called awakened Miki.

Dog Days is extremely fuwafuwa. Third season soon!

It cant get here soon enough.
it almost made me like dogs.
Chocotan is well on the way to achieving that.

OreImo - 6

All these blushes this episode! Amazing!

Someone needs to tell me what the fuck is going on with Kirino's character now. I can't make ends meet with this girl.

Kirino sucks.
that's what is going on with her.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 69: Recapture Operation of Iserlohn Fortress

~ A mutinous spirit is the source of independence. ~

I missed the banter between Attenborough and Poplan. The funniest characters, no doubt.
I really wonder what Yang's magic trick will be in his assault of Iserlohn Fortress. Seems like everyone's pretty sure it's gonna work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom