• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Devil is a Part-Timer! Episode 6 The Devil Climbs the Stairway to School
tumblr_mmk2w2emOE1s4qvrdo1_500.gif

This episode was one of the best ones around. Lucifer is perfect in so many ways and adds a whole new element to their household chemistry. Ashiya is so strict but at least Sadao is fortunately there to at least look out for Lucifer. Ah I love all three so much and the whole thing was quite funny with how it turned out. Should have recognized the hints much earlier in the episode as to the solution of the mystery of sorts.

Chiho should just give up since Maou's eyes are completely only focused elsewhere and Emi seemed obnoxious this episode, she should calm down sometime and relax.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gargantia 6

Such a sweet episode. Succulent too. If you get my drift.

Really enjoying this show. I haven't had feelings like this since I watched Aria. Although the tone of the show is going to have to change soon enough.

The fanservice was disappointingly not as fanservicey as I thought it was going to be. Oh well.

CorvoSol

Helga Pataki is the best tsundere anyway.

WHY HAVE I NEVER REALIZED THAT HELGA WAS A TSUNDERE? You've changed me forever.

First mechs with capes now this? Why am I not watching this?

Not gonna lie, when they told me that Escaflowne was a mecha show for girls, I did not expect that this is what they meant. Show's a treat.

I hate how tsundere girls have a much higher chance of winning in romance anime. Many a best girl has been slain by this tiresome character type.

I feel like the tsundere usually loses out in the shows I watch. Asuka can try and try but there are simply too many pillowfuckers out there in the world to prevent lifeless Rei Ayanami from winning. Ryoko in MSN is definitely the tsundere, but plucky childhood friend Yurika wins instead. Only in Full Metal Panic does the tsundere Kaname beat out the more overt Cpt. Tessa.

Why are her shoulders blushing?

I thought this at first, but I've come to realize it means that Amy is sunburned in those places, not blushing.

cajunator

Banned
You can't see that the sword that should be stabbing the material behind them is layered in front of them? It's going into the man in green's shoulder and through the shirt collar of the other man. Now just don't go getting all embarrassed for missing this and full-stopping your posts as a result.

Oh I get it. That British humor. you silly Englishman you!

Didn't Discotek recently announce that they're doing Unico BDs for the US as well in the near future?

OHHHHH MY GOD.
The DVDs are fine, but an indestructible set of blurays? double dip time!
I am thinking I might sell off a few old sets of DVDs as I upgrade to bluray.

Looks like my fears were wrong; Fantasista Doll isn't Busou Shiki but rather Angelic Layer. The robots are controlled by a cute 14-year-old girl so there won't be any straightshit harem action!

Picked up.

One of my favorite shows!! SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLDDDD!

In other news. I got some pickups.

Adorable! You made a wise decision.

O_O ^o^ *dances

Nanoha - 12

NANOHA! WHILE SHE'S CHARGING HER THUNDER...SMASH, USE YOUR BUSTER! OF DIVINITY!
Finally Fate realizes who she's been all along and is ready to join the fight against Lady Sephiroth! Finally, a moment in this show where I actually felt EXCITEMENT. Everything else was more...I don't know soft and nothing really got my blood pumping. But that song when she joined the fray...sogood.jpg.

Lol at the Admin's proclamation against Lady Sephiroth. That pose she was in and the words she spoke reminded me of a proclamation a certain other anime character made...but I won't say who.

And we have everyone ready for the final battle...and Lady Sephiroth practically commits suicide. Well shit. There goes my hopes for an epic rage moment, but I guess I can be hopeful for the last episode and As.

Nanoha -13 END

And so the journey of Nanoha comes to and end. Madoka Magica Spoilers inside as well.

Still a bit disappointed that there wasn't an epic final battle scene with Lady Sephiroth, but perhaps I'll see something even more epic in the As.

Damn it, this episode still knows how to poke at your feels even with all the "It's okay, they'll see each other again!" information.

Aww, Nanoha and Fate gave each other their hair ribbons as a token of their friendship! Wouldn't it be bad if another anime did the exact same thing with their characters? Now I really see where Madoka and Nanoha comparisons came from.

All in all, I thought is good. Nice, touching, heartwarming, and overall, just a good pleasure to watch. Next up, time for the awesomeness that AnimeGAF says breaks all barriers of epicness!

Now time for the REAL shit. You've earned it. Sit back and let it melt your face off.

ib0aQ0Pk183psq.gif

Amy should switch profession.

This is definitely what I imagined Mor's dance to be like. At least we finally get to see dance sakuga done right.
It is completely beautiful. TEAM AMY WINS.

Well Ultimate Madoka is the only Madoka figure I have and I mostly got her because I thought the figurine looked good (and Cajun semi twisted my arm). Also the Haruka Cu-poche is the first figurine I've seen of her that looks half decent.

That and I was expecting to get a third figurine this month so I was keeping my budget in check, but it was delayed. :(

*whistles
I only pushed you forcefully, you still had to hand the money over!

Steroyd

Gargantia - 06: The Mor Dance Strikes Back.

You have been avenged Mor, you have been avenged.

Only in Full Metal Panic does the tsundere Kaname beat out the more overt Cpt. Tessa.

I wouldn't classify as Kaname as a tsundere, the whoopin' she gives Sousuke is actually justified.

cajunator

Banned
Also, Helga was indeed tsundere, and one of the best ones.

Oh and also now that Angelic Layer was mentioned, I have to recommend people to watch it. Because its really damned good and is good Bones and good clamp.
VERY enjoyable series.
GO WATCH!

Theonik

Gargantia 06
Hometown episode? Hometown episode! Quite a bit of backstory too.
Also more Ledo + Gargantia this time learning the value of money!
These more quite episodes are really good compared to other episodes. I wonder what will come out of that ending.

Hunter x Hunter Episode 79 – No X Good X NGL
pokkle1_by_tristtrist-d651c9w.gif

I love how the names of attacks always appear, more anime ought to adopt it in the future...Way too many animal designs going on, hopefully somehow reductions are made or at least future offspring are better designed. I just cant connect with them at all. Oh well, at least Gon and Killlua (awesome riding) continue to provide some good moments. Ah and Pokkle was great to see as well.
Though when I was thinking nen users needed to be acquired for the betterment of the queens strategy, I wasnt hoping for it to involve named nen user characters. I am hoping fervently that he can somehow avoid capture and continue to deliver a barrage of epic skills to get out of there and get other pro hunters involved. Thankfully the other creatures seem rather weak at this point in time and kind of dumb (Cheetah and whatever the other leader is who appeared there). Poor Curt and all that he has to deal with with these characters

Jex

[Gargantia] - 6

By the standards of this series you'd probably call this an average episode, by which I mean it was enjoyable and entertaining; it was an episode filled with energy and colour. I can't really think of any obvious complaints from a visual point of view, except that the CG was fairly distracting as usual:

but they made up for it with a few really beautiful cuts of animation:

Structurally the episode is a little bit odd. It begins with Ledo asking an important question: "what do you do with money?" But then it veers straight back into "Ledo looks for work" and we never actually successfully answer the original question that was posed at the top of the story. It makes the writing seem a little bit wonky because the question of work was really posed at the start of the previous episode.

The one thing I would like to dive a little deeper into is a subject that's already been brought up by others: the fanservice elements of the episode.

I think the easiest way to describe the feelings I have about the fanservice is that suddenly I realise why most shows place their fanservice beach/hot springs/swimsuit episode slightly outside and away from the main continuity of the series. It's because they then don't have to account for the way they treat the characters in those episodes and because they're usually unconnected to everything else around them. For example, consider the Girls und Panzer OVA's, one of which is the requisite swimsuit shit. You can take all your characters and present them as objects for men to oodles in an OVA because no-one would ever take you to task on it. The only people who buy those OVA's are people who want to see the fanservice stuff. They don't need excuses or logical context for the fanservice, they just want to lap it up.

However, when you insert a fanservice episode like episode 5 into the natural flow of a series it just highlights how out of place the fanservice might be. You can switch from a fairly accessible series for everyone to something that exists purely to please the desires of those who want to see characters in various states of undress. Still, I had assumed that they were basically going to contain that approach to a single episode. However, they make it pretty clear from the start of this episode that it's all about the male gaze:

I don't find male-gaze camera work to be particularly shocking or distracting, but I was surprised by unabashed fanservice of both the dance costumes and the dancing scenes. Without much explanation at all Amy and her friends dress up in extremely risqué Arabian inspired outfits and do a sexy dance for everyone without really much explanation. I suppose it's part of the festival, or something, but they don't really try and portray it as a festive dance in praise of anything, with the camera either following the dancers breasts of their ass. I was just bothered by sleazy and unnecessary the whole sequence felt, especially as it add nothing to the story,

Now, later on
there's the dance scene between Ledo and Amy. I understand that, in principle, that was supposed to be a rather sweet and beautiful movement but I couldn't help feel that there was a disconnect between Amy's sweet and wholesome manner and the obvious eroticism of her uniform and dance.

Tenumi

Banned
Future Diary: 13

This is a tough series to marathon. Think I'm gonna need to slow down a bit. Anyway, Plot progress and fanservice ahoy! Also, waterproof camera phones for taking pictures in the hot spring!

Smile Precure 11

In the midst of Gargantia fanservice, this will obviously look small in comparison, AND how fitting! Because today's episode is Cure Girls Doing Shrinky Dink things.

A Nao episode, on how she's deftly scared of bugs. And a hammer, which was referenced to the One Inch Prince story. The hammer was used to make the cast small, a scenario first seen in Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo. It has come to my attention that the Cure designs seem to represent SOMETHING at least. Mainly because Cure Beauty's hair reminds me of a squid.

Also it further pushes the point that both Akane and Nao are very similar, except Akane has a gorilla fetish I guess.

This was a pretty neat episode, with Majorina not realizing she could've defeated them without an Akanbe being rather funny and whatnot. I think it's best that I'm treating this as a comedy show though, it gives it an extra flare.

Thoraxes

Gargantia - 06

Thank you anime.

Thank you.

Also, I guess my plot prediction is happening a lot faster than I expected. I figured something like that would happen, so all I need now is for the alliance to show up.

Dennis

Banned
So Gargantia is just fanservice now?

I have yet to see Episode 6 but Episode 5 was blatant.

Back on track, please.

I don't have a problem with that kind of stuff in general - people can watch whatever they want - but it is annoying in a sci-fi that has a reasonably serious premise.

I don't find male-gaze camera work to be particularly shocking or distracting, but I was surprised by unabashed fanservice of both the dance costumes and the dancing scenes. Without much explanation at all Amy and her friends dress up in extremely risqué Arabian inspired outfits and do a sexy dance for everyone without really much explanation. I suppose it's part of the festival, or something, but they don't really try and portray it as a festive dance in praise of anything, with the camera either following the dancers breasts of their ass. I was just bothered by sleazy and unnecessary the whole sequence felt, especially as it add nothing to the story,

Now, later on there's the dance scene between Ledo and Amy. I understand that, in principle, that was supposed to be a rather sweet and beautiful movement but I couldn't help feel that there was a disconnect between Amy's sweet and wholesome manner and the obvious eroticism of her uniform and dance.

I am disappoint in you gargantia. Wasn't a beach episode enough? Its the pervy animators man. They won't give innocent Amy and her friends a break.

Fucking animators, why are they focusing all the fan service on 14 year old girls. Wheres my bellows or ridget dance scene huh

Date a Live 7

Fantastic episode. Totally makes up for that dud from last week

Kurumi was perfect, really wished she be the focus for the rest of the episodes but I know that's sadly not going to happen. Happy to see Mana as well, her niisama was really good, and I'm glad they kept Kotori's siblings can't marry line.

Cloudy

Banned
I am reading chapter 1 of the flowers of evil manga. How did they turn this nice art into the ugly anime designs? I'm just gonna check out the manga on this one. :p

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Back on track, please.

Personally I think episode 6 was the best episode in the series. So much happens in this episode, duckroll is right in comparing it to something akin to a movie
you even have a cantina scene!
. A lot of sweet, enjoyable moments wrapped around the story progressing in a big time fashion on many levels.

This episode was the most "on track" episode of the series.

Dennis

Banned
Personally I think episode 6 was the best episode in the series. So much happens in this episode, duckroll is right in comparing it to something akin to a movie
you even have a cantina scene!
. A lot of sweet, enjoyable moments wrapped around the story progressing in a big time fashion on many levels.

This episode was the most "on track" episode of the series.

but but butt

I am reading chapter 1 of the flowers of evil manga. How did they turn this nice art into the ugly anime designs? I'm just gonna check out the manga on this one. :p

Well, the anime is rotoscoped so they're tracing live actors instead of adapting the manga designs directly. At any rate, I don't think the manga art is that good, at least in the first few chapters I read, and I actually think Nakamura and Saeki are more attractive in their anime incarnations.

But you don't watch Flowers of Evil for beautiful character art; you watch for the top-notch direction, character drama, and tension.

Soma

I actually much prefer the anime character designs to the manga art. The rotoscopping technique losing the details at a certain distance is unfortunate and all but the 'realistic' characters in the anime gives it a much more unsettling atmosphere which I think fits it much better.

(that and I actually find anime Nakamura kinda cute oddly enough)

Shergal

Gargantia 6

I think I don't like how Yamauchi storyboards things in general. This felt structurally messy, and for no good reason I could discern. The editing within scenes was pretty jarring at times, too, with the most notable example of this being Ledo 'protecting' Amy from a supposed enemy.
It was still really enjoyable, because most of the scenes worked perfectly as a unit, and it was just a matter of adapting to the constant time/place changes. I noticed with all the close-ups that the faces were quite detailed this time. We got good sakuga with the dancing and water effects at last.

It's pretty nice seeing Ledo develop, and his relationships with the rest of the cast evolve. Now he's even smiling a lot and all!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

I don't think anyone was expecting any other outcome after it was revealed they got an ero-mangaka to do the character design.

edit: To be fair it's not just fanservice, there's a lot of great stuff going on with Ledo's character and his acclimation to the Gargantia fleet, but the pretty waifus are blatant enough that I don't think anyone will deny the sabisu sabisu.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I checked out the manga myself a little while ago.

The anime is so much better in my opinion. The manga just doesn't have anywhere near the same tone or atmosphere the anime series has. Not even close.

The anime art fits so much better.

Also Nakamura is way cuter in the anime than the manga.

Syrinx

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 4

Oh boy this show is about to go places.

Madoka and Sayaka decide to back out on being magical girls since, you know, they just watch Mami get her head eaten. Homura is glad they did. It seems that she really regrets becoming a magical girl. She talks to Madoka about all of the people she has seen die and the tragedies that have happened. It feels like she blames herself for some of these, which I think is why she tells Madoka that her kindness could end up bringing greater tragedy.

Madoka gets herself caught up in a mass suicide ceremony involving Hitomi and gets trapped in a creepy labyrinth with merry-go-rounds and TVs laughing at her and trying to pull her apart limb from limb, to which I was all "Dude. What the fuck is going on here?" But Sayaka has a change of heart after her brother yells at her for tormenting him with music since he has a disease that won't let him play anymore (probably MS or something), and she wishes for him to get better. She's a magical girl now who saves Madoka. I guess Madoka will change her mind soon enough now, much to Homura's chagrin.

But now there's another magical girl who plans to kill Sayaka so she can take over the witch hunting in the town. Yikes, this magical girl business is serious in this show.

It's kinda funny that I'm a third of the way through this show and yet Madoka still hasn't become a magical girl yet. The focus with this show seems to be about the struggle with taking on this responsibility and the likely fate that comes with it. Being magical girls ain't fun and games in this hood.

But Sayaka has a change of heart after her brother yells at her for tormenting him with music since he has a disease that won't let him play anymore (probably MS or something), and she wishes for him to get better.

I just want to make it clear that they're not siblings. Not too sure how that will affect how you view their relationship.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Back on track, please.

I don't have a problem with that kind of stuff in general - people can watch whatever they want - but it is annoying in a sci-fi that has a reasonably serious premise.

I feel you bro.

Thoraxes

Oh man. I don't know how you remained unspoiled by the internet on this show, but good for you.

It's the best way to watch this show.

[Gargantia] 06

I was hoping Ledo would be seduced by avarice and lust. BOO

This is why we have Comiket. "Amy, what do I do with money?" "Amy, what is the purpose of life without fighting?"

The possibilities are endless.

AFTER 10 days , i've reactivated pictures on neogaf.

OMG reading this thread is like a totally different experience with & without pictures

I suggest everyone to try once to see how this feels.

(seriously i'm greeted by gifs and huge pictures ) as soon as i load the page.

Gargantia - 06

There didn't really seem to be a whole lot to this episode, other than to see more of Amy's exposed body and superficially build up their romance. It felt more like an extension of last week's episode than something that really added to the story. Also apparently the ocean's "galaxies" are composed of nanomachines:

Was interesting to see the Whalesquid/Hideauze at the end, hopefully next week will bring back some action.

cajunator

Banned
Date A Live - 07

CLOCKFAAAAAAAAAAACE!!

And she's a seducing murdering psychopath.

1304875999212.gif

Nice.

Maybe this will right the wrongs of Mor.

[Gargantia] - 6

By the standards of this series you'd probably call this an average episode, by which I mean it was enjoyable and entertaining; it was an episode filled with energy and colour. I can't really think of any obvious complaints from a visual point of view, except that the CG was fairly distracting as usual:

but they made up for it with a few really beautiful cuts of animation:

Structurally the episode is a little bit odd. It begins with Ledo asking an important question: "what do you do with money?" But then it veers straight back into "Ledo looks for work" and we never actually successfully answer the original question that was posed at the top of the story. It makes the writing seem a little bit wonky because the question of work was really posed at the start of the previous episode.

The one thing I would like to dive a little deeper into is a subject that's already been brought up by others: the fanservice elements of the episode.

I think the easiest way to describe the feelings I have about the fanservice is that suddenly I realise why most shows place their fanservice beach/hot springs/swimsuit episode slightly outside and away from the main continuity of the series. It's because they then don't have to account for the way they treat the characters in those episodes and because they're usually unconnected to everything else around them. For example, consider the Girls und Panzer OVA's, one of which is the requisite swimsuit shit. You can take all your characters and present them as objects for men to oodles in an OVA because no-one would ever take you to task on it. The only people who buy those OVA's are people who want to see the fanservice stuff. They don't need excuses or logical context for the fanservice, they just want to lap it up.

However, when you insert a fanservice episode like episode 5 into the natural flow of a series it just highlights how out of place the fanservice might be. You can switch from a fairly accessible series for everyone to something that exists purely to please the desires of those who want to see characters in various states of undress. Still, I had assumed that they were basically going to contain that approach to a single episode. However, they make it pretty clear from the start of this episode that it's all about the male gaze:

Now, later on
there's the dance scene between Ledo and Amy. I understand that, in principle, that was supposed to be a rather sweet and beautiful movement but I couldn't help feel that there was a disconnect between Amy's sweet and wholesome manner and the obvious eroticism of her uniform and dance.

dude.
FUCK EXPLANATIONS!
Enjoy Amy!

Date a Live 7

Fantastic episode. Totally makes up for that dud from last week

Kurumi was perfect, really wished she be the focus for the rest of the episodes but I know that's sadly not going to happen. Happy to see Mana as well, her niisama was really good, and I'm glad they kept Kotori's siblings can't marry line.

Clockface delivers! I'm officially on board with this show now.

Madoka and Sayaka decide to back out on being magical girls since, you know, they just watch Mami get her head eaten. Homura is glad they did. It seems that she really regrets becoming a magical girl. She talks to Madoka about all of the people she has seen die and the tragedies that have happened. It feels like she blames herself for some of these, which I think is why she tells Madoka that her kindness could end up bringing greater tragedy.

Madoka gets herself caught up in a mass suicide ceremony involving Hitomi and gets trapped in a creepy labyrinth with merry-go-rounds and TVs laughing at her and trying to pull her apart limb from limb, to which I was all "Dude. What the fuck is going on here?" But Sayaka has a change of heart after her brother yells at her for tormenting him with music since he has a disease that won't let him play anymore (probably MS or something), and she wishes for him to get better. She's a magical girl now who saves Madoka. I guess Madoka will change her mind soon enough now, much to Homura's chagrin.

But now there's another magical girl who plans to kill Sayaka so she can take over the witch hunting in the town. Yikes, this magical girl business is serious in this show.

It's kinda funny that I'm a third of the way through this show and yet Madoka still hasn't become a magical girl yet. The focus with this show seems to be about the struggle with taking on this responsibility and the likely fate that comes with it. Being magical girls ain't fun and games in this hood.

They aren't siblings, so please don't mistake this show for having incest or anything.

I just want to make it clear that they're not siblings. Not too sure how that will affect how you view their relationship.

This.

Oh also, I just picked up some awesome stuff at a convention. Pics coming shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom