• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Hey man I just want to make I sure I can let my sis watch this show.

Cool. My sis is pretty clever, so unless there are some deep psychological themes I'm sure she will appreciate it.

Ok, its just the description of the violence made it sound pretty damn violent, but I guess because the animation is not too detailed in such parts it must not be a big problem.

I'll start watching it sometime this week when we have free time.

Theres nothing in the show that is a parental red flag. If she can handle deep psychological themes shes probably good to go.
The artwork is Ume Aoki so its not overtly sexual or adult in nature.
We don't want to spoil anything so just goooooo watch it!

Taruranto

These replies are making me want to watch Puella now. I've heard of it before, read it on Wiki that it was some award winning magical girl show and then dropped it because I'm not really into that kind of thing. However, it seems there is more to this show than what meets the eye. When I was listening to the OP, the top comments seem to say this too, and I was thinking whats the worse they can pull in a show thats aimed at young girls.

Anyway, I've decided to watch the show with my sister. I kinda need a cutesy show to relieve that exam stress.

Watch Princess Tutu instead.

Acosta

Ep 6 Attack on Titans

Come on! are you kidding me?
All the week wondering what was going to happen next and they dedicate all the episode to the "origins" of Mikasa? really?

I guess that people who have read the manga are having a good fun seeing the WTF comments.

Acosta

These replies are making me want to watch Puella now. I've heard of it before, read it on Wiki that it was some award winning magical girl show and then dropped it because I'm not really into that kind of thing. However, it seems there is more to this show than what meets the eye. When I was listening to the OP, the top comments seem to say this too, and I was thinking whats the worse they can pull in a show thats aimed at young girls.

Anyway, I've decided to watch the show with my sister. I kinda need a cutesy show to relieve that exam stress.

What are you waiting for? Godspeed (just take caution if your sister is too young).

jgminto

Gargantia 6

Someone please kill the mascot.

I'm really enjoying Ledo's exploration of the culture. It's really interesting to see the culture and see the main character learn this stuff. Amy is pretty great at dancing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gargantia 5:

Mecha nyotaimori? Gross. I wish that someone would throw me a party because I can't find a job. Given my current prospects I'd probably be at the party for the rest of my life.

You know, for all of the swimsuit episodes where the world seems to grind to a halt solely for the sake of getting in some ostensible exposure, I never thought I'd see a swimsuit episode where the characters' world literally grinds to a halt to facilitate this :lol At least we were mercifully not subjected to shitty designated beach activities--no volleyballs, no watermelons, no yuri groping orgies. The Gargantians, in spite of their technological regression, are in actuality a highly enlightened culture when it comes to recreational beach activities; their first inclination after stripping down to their undergarments is to consume copious amounts of grilled meat. I can get behind this.

Still, there's no avoiding that this was a waste of an episode. I appreciate that there was actually a narrative and that, if it had to be a swimsuit episode, there was a compromise in that events continue to happen and the girls simply remain in their state of undress through events. It's the anime equivalent of equipping the sexiest outfit in the game to female characters in a JRPG where costume equips still reflect in cut scenes. Even so, the overarching "clash of cultures" and, consequentially, Ledo's growth were sidelined this episode for a fuwafuwa series of events that could have been transplanted to any setting in any show with a few alterations. This would be more forgivable if the show was twice its length, but at only thirteen episodes, every single one needs to deliver something meaningful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dokidoki whatevs
b6eygSAl.jpg

I just wonder how this works as an actual toy. Is there just a crappy little light bulb at the end of the bow that lights up when you pull the spring back? I guess you can't have it shoot lasers out or something anyway. lol

And yeah, Regina really is the only reason why this show is good now.

Tenumi

Banned
HenNeko: 5

Yes, Tsukiko, we totally see you peeking at that naked person in front of you.

This series is surprisingly good at drawing me back in week after week. I feel like I'm trying to find excuses to drop it, but each new episode draws me back in.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dokidoki whatevs

I just wonder how this works as an actual toy. Is there just a crappy little light bulb at the end of the bow that lights up when you pull the spring back? I guess you can't have it lasers out or anyway. lol

Basically, yeah :lol

The whole commercial side to the show is so fucking insidious. The toys cost a ridiculous amount of money and their functionality is generally limited to lighting up and making noise. I don't know how parents put up with this shit when this is the kind of thing that kids will enjoy for exactly two minutes and then never touch again. Should have at least been a pump action NERF gun!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

The whole commercial side to the show is so fucking insidious. The toys cost a ridiculous amount of money and their functionality is generally limited to lighting up and making noise. I don't know how parents put up with this shit when this is the kind of thing that kids will enjoy for exactly two minutes and then never touch again. Should have at least been a pump action NERF gun!

a) I can't believe the hand models have the appropriate gloves. I wonder if they sell those.
b) I can't believe that it comes with the entire set of lovelies and the light changes colour depending on which one is in the slot. I would have expected that they'd sell each one individually.
c) I wonder if it plays those notes if you rub the shaft (teehee) like they do on the show.
d) I can't believe this shit is 3600 yen.

Precure, the best franchise. lol

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00ARAFLI4/
Huh, even the cellphones are customizable!

Oh jesus christ, MERCHANDISING.

I must've been numb to all the merchandising when I stopped caring about it, but Doki Doki just makes it noticable, mainly because its been mostly mediocre so I have to FIND something in it. Even though Heartcatch had a shit ton of merchandising in it.

a) I can't believe the hand models have the appropriate gloves. I wonder if they sell those.
b) I can't believe that it comes with the entire set of lovelies and the light changes colour depending on which one is in the slot. I would have expected that they'd sell each one individually.
c) I wonder if it plays those notes if you rub the shaft (teehee) like they do on the show.
d) I can't believe this shit is 3600 yen.

Precure, the best franchise. lol

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00ARAFLI4/
Huh, even the cellphones are customizable!

I guess it's well made enough.

I'm quite intrested by point c .

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh jesus christ, MERCHANDISING.

I must've been numb to all the merchandising when I stopped caring about it, but Doki Doki just makes it noticable, mainly because its been mostly mediocre so I have to FIND something in it. Even though Heartcatch had a shit ton of merchandising in it.

On the few occasions that I've watched the show live as it airs on TV Asahi, the commercial breaks make my skin crawl like nothing else can. This applies to all of them, not just Doki.

7Th

It's funny how you always get the advertisement for the new toys right BEFORE the new finisher debuts. They spoiled the Rainbow Burst during the mid-episode break back in the Smile days.

This is another reason why Jewelpet is a better little girls' franchise than Precure (Disclaimer: I have not watched any Precure). Since what the sponsors are trying to sell is mostly the Jewelpets themselves, the amount of plastic pimping that goes on is kept to a minimum, at least in Kira Deco. Even the one plastic toy that appears, the Jewelpod, is used in creative and intelligent ways by the writers.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is another reason why Jewelpet is a better little girls' franchise than Precure (Disclaimer: I have not watched any Precure). Since what the sponsors are trying to sell is mostly the Jewelpets themselves, the amount of plastic pimping that goes on is kept to a minimum, at least in Kira Deco. Even the one plastic toy that appears, the Jewelpod, is used in creative and intelligent ways by the writers.

I have a friend in Japan who I'm going to ask to find an Angela plush for me. The advertising works.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gargantia 5:

Mecha nyotaimori? Gross. I wish that someone would throw me a party because I can't find a job. Given my current prospects I'd probably be at the party for the rest of my life.

You know, for all of the swimsuit episodes where the world seems to grind to a halt solely for the sake of getting in some ostensible exposure, I never thought I'd see a swimsuit episode where the characters' world literally grinds to a halt to facilitate this :lol At least we were mercifully not subjected to shitty designated beach activities--no volleyballs, no watermelons, no yuri groping orgies. The Gargantians, in spite of their technological regression, are in actuality a highly enlightened culture when it comes to recreational beach activities; their first inclination after stripping down to their undergarments is to consume copious amounts of grilled meat. I can get behind this.

Hey. Screw you. :mad:

I kid.

cajunator

Banned
Gargantia 6

I'm really enjoying Ledo's exploration of the culture. It's really interesting to see the culture and see the main character learn this stuff. Amy is pretty great at dancing.

I love when anime explores cultural aspects.
I can relate to it with all the festivals and dancing here in Louisiana.
Some of my happiest memories are from festivals.

Hunter x Hunter 78

This episode wasn't bad because it acted as a basis for introducing just how dreadfull, diverse and powerfull the new opponents are.
In that sense it was quite well done.

But why did they add the scenes with the mother ? To fruther expand on colt character ?

Hunter x Hunter 79

Again a great episode ... It showed a situation degrading very fast

But it also showed quite a big number of good characters interracting with each other to the point where they added plenty of "new" scenes that aren't bad actually.

So far , the treatment of this arc is quite good and it should devolve in a pretty good arc if they maintain this pacing .

Photo%20Kano%20E4%203-620x.jpg

Karma's a bitch

Photo Kano 4

So this definitely felt like the end to the common route in a VN.

Don't really think they'll be able to focus on all 7 girls with the 12 episode format unfortunately. But if the ending is any indication, the only girls getting a route would be Niimi, Mai, Aki, and Nonoka, all of whom I wouldn't mind.

Gargantia - 6

Once again, nice and heartwarming, and it's good to see Ledo's development into a personalized human being. What I thought was interesting was how his old tactics are coming back to him, with those octopus reminding him of the enemy he fought during the war. He returned to his robotic self for a brief moment.

Judging from the preview of the next episode, I'm going to assume that killing that squid or whatever is going to be some kind of offense, but I may be proven wrong. Either way, I'm hyped for next episode.

Smile Precure 13

Cure Girls do Bad Luck! And it's episode 13! How flattering, and Miyuki has all the bad luck!
She should let her hair down more, it's pretty cute. It has come to my attention that Miyuki is a full otaku, as her boy crush is Peter Pan (but look on the bright side, no romances for her in regards to dudes.). This really goes out of the way to make Miyuki visually unflattering though, I mean.... what is this

2ShnE.jpg
2ShoF.jpg
2ShyZ.jpg
<Not Miyuki but it fits
2ShJF.jpg

But she ends up in funny moments anyway!

2Si7V.gif

2Si8K.gif

This was a good episode. I'm liking the cast, although Reika is still a robot.

Cardfight!! Vanguard Asia Circuit 97 (engDub)

They could have focused a bit more on the girl power fight, Oracle Think Tank v Oracle Think Tank decks is always worth watching. Ill predict Kamui to lose
has he ever beat Tetsu, I dont think so and it isnt going to well for him this time

Andrew J.

Gargantia 6

That's something I really like in Gargantia, and on the flipside something that really bugs me about Valvrave. Hundreds (at least!) years in the future, with massively different political and technological paradigms...and the same culture as early 21st-century Japanese high schools, what a surprise!

Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water Episode 05-07

Woh. That shit got real much faster than I was expecting. Episode 05 was kind of a punch to the gut once they ran into Marie. I'm going into this show completely blind, so I had no clue how or why she was going to join their little party.
The Neo Atlanteans are creepy as fuck, especially with those weird ass masks. I thought Gargoyle was pretty lame at first, but the more time he had onscreen, the more he began to feel like a truly terrifying villain. The Tower of Babel bit was wicked.

Jean is a spectacular protagonist, by the way. He's competent, forward looking, and gets shit done. I don't dislike Nadia, and I certainly get where a lot of her angry, seemingly irrational behavior comes from. I was surprised that the show actually acknowledged her being black early on when Jean's aunt was like "HEELLLLLL NOOO to blacks!"

The crew of the Nautilus is full-on Gainax as fuck. Nemo is every bit the captain that I was expecting.

Special love has to go to Grandis, Sanson, and Hanson. I was expecting them to be the sort of goofy villains we see a lot of these days, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself wrong. They're actually extremely competent, despite their bad luck with capturing Nadia.
The whole bit where they break out of prison and rescue Nadia was fantastic, and I adored the escape sequence where Sanson goes fucking nuts.

Sanson is the fucking man.

I've seen the JP BD box for under 20,000 yen. I think the next time I bump into it, I'm just gonna grab it. This is one of those early Gainax shows I desperately wanna own.

Articalys

This is pretty damn cool.

An entire collection of handmade character-themed Precure bags -- one for every Cure in the whole franchise.

(The other thing I learned from this article is that the biggest Precure-only doujin event in Japan is named "Rainbow Flavor".)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water Episode 05-07

I've seen the JP BD box for under 20,000 yen. I think the next time I bump into it, I'm just gonna grab it. This is one of those early Gainax shows I desperately wanna own.
I wonder if you'll feel the same way once you reach the island arc.
This is pretty damn cool.

An entire collection of handmade character-themed Precure bags -- one for every Cure in the whole franchise.
No surprise that the Heartcatch ones are the best. dat Umakoshi

I wonder if you'll feel the same way once you reach the island arc.

I read about how Higuchi took over and it's basically a bunch of poorly drawn, weak filler right? If that's the case, I'm pretty prepared for it when the time comes.

It'd be more of a shock if I didn't know it was coming or the any of the circumstances surrounding it. As it stands? If everything up to that point is beautiful and awesome, and the final chunk of episodes are great, it makes purchasing the series totally worth it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I read about how Higuchi took over and it's basically a bunch of poorly drawn, weak filler right? If that's the case, I'm pretty prepared for it when the time comes.

It'd be more of a shock if I didn't know it was coming or the any of the circumstances surrounding it. As it stands? If everything up to that point is beautiful and awesome, and the final chunk of episodes are great, it makes purchasing the series totally worth it.
The finale is fucking brilliant, it's just that those episodes come right when the show is hitting its stride and they seem fucking endless once you get to them.

Nanoha A's - 1

Aw crap, out of all the things that had to invade this heartwarming show, why did it have to be the Necronomicon? (Yeah I know it's called Book of Darkness, but with a name like that, screw it.)

My goodness I really need to watch the subbed version, but I'm so used the English VAs that it's going to be hard. The English VA on this Vita girl when she attacks is atrocious. I can't understand what she's saying in battle half the time! But other than that though, shit got real quite quickly.

Wasn't expecting Nanoha to get her ass handed to her like that so easily. Let's see if Fate does any better. Nonetheless, great start so far.

Tenumi

Banned
Gargantia: 6

Well, that was an interesting episode. Can't say that I disliked the fanservice, but it felt out of place in this series. Always good to see a little more character development, and
the plot looks like its moving forward in a big way next episode

So like, now that I think about it... if enemies have trouble dealing with Precures (or any magical girl), why don't they just go somewhere else?

cajunator

Banned
I knew I made the right decision with that image, because of my dubious thoughts.

Well at least they're all from series you've enjoyed. I have one from a series I never even played :/

Which figure if you dont mind my asking?

Nanoha A's - 1

Aw crap, out of all the things that had to invade this heartwarming show, why did it have to be the Necronomicon? (Yeah I know it's called Book of Darkness, but with a name like that, screw it.)

My goodness I really need to watch the subbed version, but I'm so used the English VAs that it's going to be hard. The English VA on this Vita girl when she attacks is atrocious. I can't understand what she's saying in battle half the time! But other than that though, shit got real quite quickly.

Wasn't expecting Nanoha to get her ass handed to her like that so easily. Let's see if Fate does any better. Nonetheless, great start so far.

It never really lets up.
its like that almost all the time. Although it goes stratospheric in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom