• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Better reactions than episode 5 for sure.

araragi_enjoying_by_valelfenmoon-d5piis2.gif

Dresden

gargantia - 06

Fear not, youths of today! There is light at the end of your job-search tunnel. All you need is a robot voiced by Tomozaku Sugita. Anything involving water was the highlight of this episode. Well, maybe not the cg fishes.

I'd seen the dancing gifs before, but seeing them in the context of the episode was something else. At first I was repelled, because the costumes are tacky and ugly and it felt so jarring, but I think I get their 'point,' even if I feel that the episode could have done without them entirely. There's still the problem of just why Amy and Co. are doing that (with the implication being that they repeated the dance elsewhere, all over the fleet, the rest of the night, since she's still in her outfit when she meets Ledo againat night), but as a part of the episode, it was effective enough in highlighting Ledo's growing attachment for the fleet and its culture/people--he really can't keep his eyes away; the allure of what it represents is just too tempting to the point of distraction. That entire scene shows him being subsumed into the crude, sensual delights of the Gargantian culture: the banter of friends, the taste of food, the music, the hints of sex without requirements of service. It's the culmination of what he's experienced in the two prior episodes.

Then they bring out the octopus dish, wrenching him back into the present reality of just what he is. The conversation/background dancing is an analogue for the events to come, what's hinted at early on playing out with broader ramifications in the end; Ledo unable to escape the past, despite the delights presented to him by this new setting.

Not that I liked the actual dance; Amy could have served that purpose just by being in the background. Or just have her dance in her normal costume? I guess it pleased some of the fans, at least the ones for whom the show's endcards are a real source of titillation. Their second encounter suffers from this, too. What's being presented is so incongruous with what's intended, the conflict between the obvious eroticism of Amy's dance and the slow, introspective presentation of the music and the setting.

Not quite happy with it, but I'm up for what's going to happen next.

Date A Live - 07

This show is pronounced like "Date Alive," right?

The brother is really the
cousin
this time as the harem moves forward.

My
other
Little Sister Can't Be This OP!

Theonik

Attack on Titan 06
I suppose it wasn't bad, WIT is certainly in the verge of exploding though.
It was kinda annoying that
they extended the Mikasa drama so much, though I actually prefer it to an Eren focus in a way because he's a shiteater, and we didn't get Manga spoilers:
The Eren emergence from the Titan.

fertygo

I don't get the complaint for Gargantia's dance costume, their culture look exotic already .. their daily clothes look very exotic but?

Oh well..

cajunator

Banned
I still think Spike is his best "Steve Blum" voice and the one I always associate it with. Perfect mixture of gruff and smooth.

Same. couldn't go back to the Japanese sub after hearing the Bebop dub. Its too perfect.

I still don't get why Death Note gets so much praise.
I mean, I really liked it, even part 2 but...

Death Note was fun with the cat and mouse detective antics and Kira's over the top personality. ALSO MISA.

I miss them tl notes. I guess modern anime has no need for those.

someone should try to do that for the first half of gargantia 1.

This is why I buy all the discs. No silly translation notes and clutter.

Moving the king in check (and thus losing the game) is an illegal move in modern chess.
A game can only be ended by a checkmate or a draw.
Edit: There are some exceptions however mainly regarding certain variants of fast chess.
Edit2: There are of course more than a couple variations of stupid going on in that scene like what you pointed out. (will have to check what they were though)
Though I suppose really the only explanation for the previous example would be that Sneizel was being a dick which isn't really out of character for him.

Orrrrr he just got bored and wanted to end the chess game :p

back from the grave! How de do.

iS6Mzno2LQMiy.gif

Been watching up on hidamari sketch s3 and decided to pick up VVV again (the fuck is anything :O) and snafuu (The dude that looks like a girl is cute. Something about the MC I like his jib).

Anyhow...

Photo Kano 6

Wait... this feels like a show finale... I really do hope there isn't some nice boat ending T_T. I don't know why I still keep on watching this. Show is pretty dull... but I like the art... and something about it is just pleasant. It's kinda creepy and perverted... but in a more classy way? dont know.

Hunter x Hunter 79

That koala in a suit... badass.

oreimo latest

Wait... what? Weird development at the end for this type of the show... but go best team!

muromi-san latest

Really do love how the ocean got hit by recession. Just really... funky.

Attack on Titans latest
So chinese people are just naturally superior... except that they were all wiped out. Their great wall wasn't so great after all :(

VVV latest
This is all gonna go bad soon right? bloody orgies and backstabbins'

Gargantia last week's
bikinis! Love that Ami's butt is in every other shot <3. That lady officer with the glasses is hnngh too. Don't care much about the friends of ami yet.

hentai ouji latest

that shower scene o.o A lot of sis yuri antics this season.

welcome back don't get banned agai- *dies from aiura gif

Jex

gargantia - 06

[...]Not that I liked the actual dance; Amy could have served that purpose just by being in the background. It's where narrative purpose meets the demands of narrative consistency and I'm just left thinking, couldn't they have designed a better outfit? Better yet, just have her dance in her normal costume? I guess it pleased some of the fans, at least the ones for whom the show's endcards are a real source of titillation.

I think you're getting pretty close to an optimal solution to the problem there because I agree that having Amy dance serves a clear narrative point, I just don't agree with the manner in which they chose to present it visually. However, changing her (and their) costumes is only half the answer, the other half involves removing the camera from their backsides and shooting the entire scene differently. Although I imagine you considered that as well but just thought it was too obvious a point to make.

cajunator

Banned
I think you're getting pretty close to an optimal solution to the problem there because I agree that having Amy dance serves a clear narrative point, I just don't agree with the manner in which they chose to present it visually. However, changing her (and their) costumes is only half the answer, the other half involves removing the camera from their backsides and shooting the entire scene differently. Although I imagine you considered that as well but just thought it was too obvious a point to make.

I haven't seen that episode yet, but I do appreciate the dancing animation on a technical level. It also makes Amy just look that much cuter. She's just adorable in every way. I will definitely draw her with cat ears. I cannot help it.

Mushibugyo 6
tumblr_mmr1krTKCw1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I hope this truly is at least 26 episodes, never gets old. Anyway as usual Jinbei was amazing and quite sincere in everything able to win over yet another heart. Mosquito was creepy yet kind of awesome for the fight
How it got taken out was cool. Though for the shogun successor, I wonder if he truly will keep coming hes pretty funny and does really lend a good hand to Jinbei for assistance in how to deal with bugs

Theonik

Orrrrr he just got bored and wanted to end the chess game :p
That is still being a dick, although, if I remember the scene correctly, this being a sort of test of character was something even Sneizel admitted at the time. So that was definitely what the writers had intended.

This isn't a computer program, though. Players can end it whenever the fuck they want!
But it's against the rrrrrurrrrru!
Really they can play however they like but that's not cricket. Or in this case chess.

Edit: The scene isn't aided at all by how no-one points out that this is an illegal move.

CLAMP disease claims another victim.

This reminds me that I discovered the other day that CLAMP proportions actually do exist in real life, when I met a university student who looked like he could have walked straight out of one of their manga. Exceptionally tall and thin, with freakishly long legs and danging arms. It was kind of frightening.

cajunator

Banned
That is still being a dick, although, if I remember the scene correctly, this being a sort of test of character was something even Sneizel admitted at the time. So that was definitely what the writers had intended.

But it's against the rrrrrurrrrru!
Really they can play however they like but that's not cricket. Or in this case chess.

Oh I know it had a meaning behind it. I was just being facetious.

Also, this thread has talked about Code Geass quite often lately and no sign of this.

AnimeGaf, you're slipping!

Kurita

I switch to the Japanese comments whenever I watch something on Nico Nico.
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Tenumi

Banned
Smile Precure: 24

Ah, a nice, adorable breather episode. At least until it wasn't.
Villians are back, there's more decor to collect, and the Alicorn Pegasus power hasn't been used to oblivion yet

Future Diary: 14

This show is creepy.

Jex

This reminds me that I discovered the other day that CLAMP proportions actually do exist in real life, when I met a university student who looked like he could have walked straight out of one of their manga. Exceptionally tall and thin, with freakishly long legs and danging arms. It was kind of frightening.

Sounds like he could make some money in the cosplay scene.

Jex

Editing out "mmm" screencaps?

Your editing transgressions refuse to cease.

Perhaps Dresden considered that it would be somewhat incongruous to complain about fanservice and representation of characters in a show and then go "mmm" later on in the same post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom