• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

I just checked out some other anime forums and people are really upset about the swimming anime. I don't understand why though. Nobody knows what the show is about yet.

It's mostly because it's a little bit gay (and it's by KyoAni, patron saints of moe fans). Lord knows predominantly male nerd communities like nothing less than gayness.

Anime fandom at large remains as predictable as ever.

I wonder if there really is a market for something like FREE! to be honest; I don't remember the last all-male cast show that sold well. Popular fujoshi shows are stuff like Tiger and Bunny, Geass or F/Z, which have a pretty wide appeal. Going by what the director has said, there really isn't any audience for FREE! other than fujoshi. :p

Didnt Sekaiichi Hatsukoi and Junjou Romantica do pretty well.

Though anyway, I guess next would be Haikyuu!! anime, no way it'd do bad.

jgminto

So has DTL already gone to work on the Free! OT?

Straight pairings are boring, plain, like vanilla ice cream.

Yuri is awesome and delicious, like strawberry ice cream.

You get?

But everyone knows that vanilla milkshakes are the best.

I could really go for a vanilla milkshake.

No she was the black haired girl who was part of the choir. She tried to force herself on Hikari.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I remember the scene you're talking about but don't remember much about the show in general. Horse rider and that one girl were my favorites probably.

Episode 4 of Maou-sama

PlotPlotPlotPlotPlot

Miki-T is pretty cool. MISUNDERSTANDINGS, character development. Other things.

Poor Alsiel. He's really faithful to his beloved Maou-sama.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jewelpet Kira Deco! 01:

jpkd1-19lo4y.gif

Fairly accurately sums up my reaction toward the episode. This was just absolutely brimming with fun dialogue and antics, flashes of mature humor, and amazingly hammy seiyuu performances (I mean, Sawashiro Miyuki is an OUJOSAMA UNICORN. Just think about it.)

The first third or so of the episode was just a debate on the best way to bling out a phone, which sounds like inane kiddie garbage until you realize that a group of mascots is trying to convince one of their own that their phone is too tacky. Tackiness and gaudiness form the aesthetic backbone of most of these type of shows, and this is the first time that I've seen a plastic shit show actually subvert this by something apparently being too much even for fluffy critters living in a rainbow-splattered bedazzled plastic world. What does the accused critter do to prove that she has good taste? She bedazzles her phone with a dead fish. And leaves it that way for the rest of the episode.

If things weren't already bizarre enough, everyone sits down to watch some television. On their roof. Because in this world, apparently television takes the form of wearing a pair of anaglyph 3D glasses and then looking into the sky because television is projected directly onto the moon. dafuq? Well, in a segment that seems designed solely to deliver a series of quick television parodies to older viewers, we get stuff like this:

NpnDyjvl.jpg

oh hey, it's the entire plot of Osaka Okan

GWjfPTYl.jpg

Jewelpet: the only show with the balls to mock idol culture.

EI2O2oQl.jpg

This may or may not be plot-relevant at some point but the mascots casually skip over scenes of mass carnage to get to some inane cooking show or whatnot. They're even desensitized in this childlike utopia.

Complete with 3D blurriness!

It's these brief flashes of unexpected humor that really make the show better than it has any right to be. I won't describe the entire episode for anyone planning to watch thanks to hosanna's pimping, but it remains consistently amusing throughout.

Also,
sentai and plastic-shit-for-girls, TOGETHER AT LAST. Yellow is clearly the otaku self-insert; he even stores things in his fat folds.

A couple of random thoughts:

• Paca patrol is the greatest. Paaaaaa caaaaaaa paaaaaaa caaaaaaa paaaaaaa caaaaaaa, droned ever-so-slightly off key to realistically imitate the wailing of a police car. The seiyuu performances are, as I said, surprisingly entertaining and there are several prominent names working with the show.
  • Wait, so Jewepets' eyes are made of jewels? They'd better consider themselves lucky that they were born somewhere where jewels are basically as ubiquitous as dirt, otherwise they'd be raised as livestock and their eyes gruesomely plucked out.

Damn, I need more.

yay its weekend and my work product launched today!...

*reads through last few pages*

I guess jex is happy now that discussion is happening again here!

tumblr_inline_mkxfao9W9r1qz4rgp.png

Oregairu 1

Opening: Fine, although I didn't really like the middle part of the song.
Ending: Not really fond of it myself but it was okay.

Didn't really like this episode. Mostly because of not really being a fan of the MC and his little scenes when he humilates himself around girls. I know he's supposed to be anti social but if he's willing to call a girl "bitch" repeatedly, I might not bother putting up with him. Yukino, I'm inclined to like because of how she manages to outwit the MC and her willingness to help others. Yui seems like a fun character and would not mind if she joined the club since she actually made the half with her cooking problem somewhat enjoyable. Without a doubt though, the Teacher is clearly the best so far and I hope she appears more often later on.

7Th

There's going to be percentage of that audience for whom a female lead is a requirement, but I bet there's a larger number who don't care or might even be happier without a female lead.

I don't know about that; I'm sure there is a larger number of girls that prefer to have the boys consistently pin for the heroine. There are a lot more otome games than BL-games for a reason.

Kagami

tumblr_inline_mkxfao9W9r1qz4rgp.png

Oregairu 1

Didn't really like this episode. Mostly because of not really being a fan of the MC and his little scenes when he humilates himself around girls. I know he's supposed to be anti social but if he's willing to call a girl "bitch" repeatedly, I might not bother putting up with him.
Just to clarify, the word "bitchi" in Japanese means "slut," not "bitch."
That's why she
suddenly started talking about virginity.
It's unfortunate that Crunchy's subs transliterated it as "bitch" since that didn't make much sense.
Not that I expect you'll be much happier with him repeatedly calling her a slut instead. :p

Funimation did the same thing in their subs for Haganai NEXT, when they were playing the romance game, regarding the topic of raising all the characters affection levels at the same time--it should have been "slut play" but they transliterated it as "bitch play".
It's a wonky issue because often in contexts in which someone would insult someone with "slut," saying "bitch" instead still sounds like something they might say, so it can pass without notice.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That's why she
It's unfortunate that Crunchy's subs transliterated it as "bitch" since that didn't make much sense.
Not that I expect you'll be much happier with him repeatedly calling her a slut instead. :p

I didn't know that. Huh.

Articalys

I don't understand why something as short as Chihayafuru needs a recap episode. I mean it was something like a year going from S1 to S2 but there wasn't a recap episode in the beginning of S2 or anything. I guess it could have been worse like how they put one in the middle of Kimi ni Todoke.

Dresden

I don't understand why something as short as Chihayafuru needs a recap episode. I mean it was something like a year going from S1 to S2 but there wasn't a recap episode in the beginning of S2 or anything. I guess it could have been worse like how they put one in the middle of Kimi ni Todoke.

Production issues, think back to what happened with Girls und Panzer recently. Episode 5.5.

Kagami

I don't know about that; I'm sure there is a larger number of girls that prefer to have the boys consistently pin for the heroine. There are a lot more otome games than BL-games for a reason.

The situation's the same with male-targeted romance games, but that doesn't stop all-female anime from being popular.

That's why she

Funimation did the same thing in their subs for Haganai NEXT, when they were playing the romance game, regarding the topic of raising all the characters affection levels at the same time--it should have been "slut play" but they transliterated it as "bitch play".
It's a wonky issue because often in contexts in which someone would insult someone with "slut," saying "bitch" instead still sounds like something they might say, so it can pass without notice.

I learn something new everyday~

And your right with me not being happy about knowing he called her a slut now.

Production issues, think back to what happened with Girls und Panzer recently. Episode 5.5.

Makes sense I suppose. Those .5 episodes in GuP at least were pretty informative about the sport/characters/other whatnot, though I guess there's not much you can do if you're just put into the situation.

The first season of Chihayafuru had a recap episode in the middle too, remember.

Maedhros

It'll probably become easier to search for the anime after it gets more announcements or after it airs.

Maybe...

More anti-moe than Psycho Pass.

I'm sure people here will watch to keep track of their favourites husbando or some shit like that...

BTW, still have tons of show to watch and no time to watch them. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom