• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for me i had the added layer of disapointment since i just left of splash star ( that had an AMAZING finale ) and a very high second part in term of quality .. to find yes precure , with new mecanics , this stupid romance , the annoying coco & nuts voices and the most disapointing lack of quality in term of weekly stories.
I had hopes when i saw the end of ep 5 ( because i wasn't anticipating karen to do that ) so i was hoping for this serie to surprise me. Even if it was different.

WHAT a DISAPOINTMENT !

To this day i've forgotten who the antagonist was in the first "yes" season , yet i remember all the others.

Probably because Despariah
surrenders instead of having a full fledge fight

The massive romance stuff, of course, was served to make Yes! creepy as hell, as well as decrease the amount of romance in following series, so it was a trade off to say the least.

CocoNuts was indeed annoying in mascot form, and yes, it's sidestories (or rather lack of interesting side characters) is something I slam Yes! for every time. Like GoGo does not fix this, it makes this even more apparent. HOW bad was this? I literally forgot everyone had relatives, so when I saw episode 3 of Yes! again, I was like "Nozomi has a DAD!?"

It was ridiculous.

I don't want other people to understand my pain, I want to spare them from repeating my mistakes :(

Well what would you rather hate watch in the franchise then?

Articalys

Maybe with a Crunchyroll article on this, more people will take a look.
Going into 1986, which happened to be the year when Studio Ghibli released their first movie, Newtype asked 21 of the top names in anime what they were working on, what they were looking forward to, what they would like to see and where they they thought the industry was going.

Chronicler of all things vintage anime Oldtype/Newtype has presented a translation of the thoughts of the "21 Prophets of Anime."

Kazzy

You nearly had a perfectly written review there, by which I mean you nearly had a review free of obvious grammatical mistakes or illogical phrases, but this managed to slip in. For shame! Proof, if proof were needed, that you can always do with producing another draft.

I had picked up on that myself, but I edited the original draft, rather than the post itself. My mistake!

I remember doing something extremely similar with my EoE review, truth be told. I guess I just got sick of staring at my own words.

So yeah, this is a pretty great review and you should probably post it in Evangelion 3.0 Spoiler Thread and spoiler tag it in here before you get banned.

Damn, I did forget to use spoiler tags. I can only apologize to anyone who skimmed past my review.

I was left so utterly disappointed by the movie that I couldn't muster the energy (or commit the time) to write anything other than a fairly broad critique. I've just grown tired of writing about the Rebuild franchises over the years.

I felt similar, which is why I've only just finished, a couple of weeks after watching the film. But I wanted to put something down, considering I have only watched the entire Evangelion catalog these past few months.

Jarmel

Banned
Turn A Gundam 19-

iQf5V4GXHVDqk.jpg

Better than a beam saber jacuzzi.

Kanno has done a fairly good job on the soundtrack so far. I certainly wouldn't mention it as one of her 'greats' but it's been notable. I do think the tone somewhat limits what she can do though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Queen's Blade S3: Rebellion - 02

2jtsQgv.png
EarlpvU.png

I'd definitely be okay with this OTP

The moment Siggy was talking about how
there was one pose left that she couldn't master I knew Annelotte was going to be able to. I didn't know how or why she would have to, but I just had that inkling in the back of my head that it would happen.
I'm really hoping the two cross paths in the very near future as I love their chemistry.

Oh I forgot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep. Were considered a cure to the disease that was the Human species, trying to prevent its spread or contamination beyond our place the Solar System.
Wait, so was this a whole "the universe is a living organism and manifested these aliens to kill the disease" or was this Mass Effect 3?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Gunbuster]
I can`t remember, did they explain why the aliens were trying to wipe them out?
At some point one of the officers in the space force speculates that they are the Milky Way's way of dealing with stuff they don't want in, but I think the idea that they are just lifeforms that happened to evolve into a pattern of intergalactic parasitism works better. Having humanity and the space monsters simply duke it out in natural struggle for survival sounds like a more elegant concept to me.
Quite the apt description knowing what 'dōjin' circle name some GAiNAXers, including Mr. Anno & Mr. Tsurumaki, did participate in (UROBOROS), and what series they parodied frequently (Sailor Moon).

Case in point; search for their PARASELENE number made for C45 to further appreciate their dedication to honor that series. Obsessive guys they were about it, for sure!
All anime people are the same. A shameful little pile of perverts.

...this is some raunchy shit. Holy shit Minako is flexible. At least it ends with a nice Jupiter X Mercury scene. GAINAX knows about purity!

/XX/

Wait, so was this a whole "the universe is a living organism and manifested these aliens to kill the disease" or was this Mass Effect 3?
Kind of. The question was only theorized briefly, and seen like a possible non-definitive explanation. The characters were shown already as too focused on the matter of their desperate survival (through sacrifice) and not on the reasons behind their problems, after all.

All anime people are the same. A shameful little pile of perverts.
And we love them for that... less restrained imagination, I think.

Probably because Despariah
surrenders instead of having a full fledge fight

The massive romance stuff, of course, was served to make Yes! creepy as hell, as well as decrease the amount of romance in following series, so it was a trade off to say the least.

CocoNuts was indeed annoying in mascot form, and yes, it's sidestories (or rather lack of interesting side characters) is something I slam Yes! for every time. Like GoGo does not fix this, it makes this even more apparent. HOW bad was this? I literally forgot everyone had relatives, so when I saw episode 3 of Yes! again, I was like "Nozomi has a DAD!?"

It was ridiculous.

Well what would you rather hate watch in the franchise then?

Wait ? what ?
Nozomu has a dad ???
Loool
Aside from karen and her butler, i seriously don't remember much of the rest lol

I totally understand why you want to say that .
Gogo doesn't fix this BUT has a much more bearable overall plot and better fights.
Seriously it took them so long before they even try some teamwork during the big fights

PS: Coco & nuts can die in a fire.
Somebody should make a video on how useless they are since they are knocked back each episode wthout doing anything with that annoying sound effect.

Articalys

Wow, I really wasn't paying attention to the Yuyushiki credits up until now -- didn't realized the ending song was partially composed by one of the best beatmaniaIIDX composers there is, Ryu☆. No wonder I like it so much.

Wait ? what ?
Nozomu has a dad ???
Loool
Aside from karen and her butler, i seriously don't remember much of the rest lol

I totally understand why you want to say that .
Gogo doesn't fix this BUT has a much more bearable overall plot and better fights.
Seriously it took them so long before they even try some teamwork during the big fights

PS: Coco & nuts can die in a fire.
Somebody should make a video on how useless they are since they are knocked back each episode wthout doing anything with that annoying sound effect.

It also had some terrible animation every now and again

But yeah. Maybe Milk's usefulness was one of the reasons why she was liked (as well as serving as a foil to Nozomi since everyone else fails at that), on top of being Milky Rose.

Yuyushiki 6

Mitsu is indeed rather dirty. Thanks anime.

This episode has given us some Mom ass at least.

2TBjy.gif

Theonik

They're just like real kids!
You are probably right about that. It does explain everything!

I don't think the school sequences were that bad, but luckily they're kept strictly to a minimum. There's not a a lot of 'fat', so to speak, in those OVA's.
On further thought they aren't really that bad and I can see why they are there but thus far they serve mostly as a hindrance to plot development and could be helped by being shorter.

Syrinx

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 7

Holy hell, that cliffhanger ending.

I guess I'm a total jaded dick, cause I don't see the big shock of what Kyubey did. I mean, what he's saying makes sense (you know, in the context of the show). If this is a more effective way for them to operate as magical girls, then whatevs. I suppose he could have been more up-front ("You never asked" is the dumbest justification for not telling somebody something. "Hey Dave why didn't you tell me you're a mafia hitman?" "You never asked." See how dumb that is?), but it was made clear to them that they couldn't go back to living the lives they were living once they signed the contract. And they don't have to be zombies. They can still be themselves. It's just that their souls are in a gem they wear instead of their body.

So then the show goes and makes Kyoko a sympathetic character. She acts in such self-interest because of how her wish for her father backfired on her. But it's like she said; it backfired because she didn't understand what her father truly wanted. I feel that Kyosuke has made it pretty clear that he wanted to play violin again, so I don't think Sayaka's wish was in vain.

But if her wish was motivated by her desire to have Kyosuke love her, then it seems like it has. Hitomi tells Sayaka of her plans to confess her love for him the next day, so she has until then, but she feels she could never ask him to hold and kiss her zombie body as she tearfully explains to Madoka (again, this scene probably would have impacted me more if I understood the horror of that process, but I'm not sure I do, I'm a horrible person, yada yada yada).

Then that ending scene came along, and it was something else entirely. The way it all played out in this silhouetted style along with the bizarre art made it all the more striking. Sayaka really starts to lose herself in the fight with that witch, laughing manically and having fun ripping it to shreds. Then the episode ends with the witch attacking the mad Sayaka, and goes out with Madoka meakly saying "Stop. Please stop." WHAT HAPPENED?! I MUST KNOW!!!!!

Was this where the three-month delay came in? Cause going through that here would have FUCKING SUCKED!

It also had some terrible animation every now and again
OMG

But yeah. Maybe Milk's usefulness was one of the reasons why she was liked (as well as serving as a foil to Nozomi since everyone else fails at that), on top of being Milky Rose.

Milk was much better despite her flaws because :

-
She wanted to bring coco & nuts home
-She bonds with the other girls quickly ( except nozomi ) but especially with karen
-She didn't spend EVERY fight behing knocked back screaming " yaaa -nuts ! " or " nooo - coco" with a horrible voice.
-Even if it was a totally shamefully product placement , she provided us with a decent power-up. ( i don't like the product nor the animation , i'm just judging the impact on the fight )
-She becomes milky rose , arguably the most decent solo fighter in the franchise that isn't cure moonlight.
-Despite a 28 episode head start from the regular cast , she manage to have more character develloppement than 80% of the casting ( hear that cure lemonade ???!! )
-Most of her schemes or her adventures provided decent episodes.
-Her human form is great ( attitude , speech ) and most of her numerous critics of nozomi were "SPOT-ON" ( especially in gogo )

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
If there's any justice in this world, she'll get some love at the next comiket.

I want some doujins!

The delay was on episode 10. Like with Girls und Panzer. Anyway
In a way, I didn't understand myself, it made sense, although I guess falling in love with a "zombie" would've meant she couldn't feel his love or something, so it destroyed her in the process

Milk was much better despite her flaws because :

-
She wanted to bring coco & nuts home
-She bonds with the other girls quickly ( except nozomi ) but especially with karen
-She didn't spend EVERY fight behing knocked back screaming " yaaa -nuts ! " or " nooo - coco" with a horrible voice.
-Even if it was a totally shamefully product placement , she provided us with a decent power-up. ( i don't like the product nor the animation , i'm just judging the impact on the fight )
-She becomes milky rose , arguably the most decent solo fighter in the franchise that isn't cure moonlight.
-Despite a 28 episode head start from the regular cast , she manage to have more character develloppement than 80% of the casting ( hear that cure lemonade ???!! )
-Most of her schemes or her adventures provided decent episodes.
-Her human form is great ( attitude , speech ) and most of her numerous critics of nozomi were "SPOT-ON" ( especially in gogo )

PRECISELY! She's one of the best additions to the cast ever, and with your reasons, I would say the lack of a new member joining after Milk is probably the main reason why she got so much development. I think that's my theory on why Fresh's
Setsuna
had more development than Suite's
Ellen
because Fresh didn't add a new character after her, whereas they neutered Suite by adding a new Cure towards the end.

Mature

Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
Excellent write-up and, despite ultimately being a fan of the film, I happen to agree with a lot of your grievances. Call me optimistic, but I feel as though after 4.0's release, a lot of the issues that plague 3.0 should be remedied just by having the option to do a sequential viewing. That being said, until that time, you put it pretty aptly:

as a self-contained feature, it’s unequivocally a failure. The narrative is so muddled, and so reliant on the audience already being privy to the minutiae of the lore, that it’d be incomprehensible for a newcomer.
A particularly damning revelation given how this was supposed to be a definitive version intended for a newer audience
Anno said:
Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

CorvoSol

Gun x Sword 2

It really is like the spiritual successor to Big O. Van is the same cool customer, Dan's head kinda reminds me of Big O a bit, and he even has the put upon side-kick. It's so worth it. HIS GIANT ROBOT FALLS OUT OF A CRUCIFIX SATELLITE. Then there are the mustachios of power in this episode upon which nobody comments. They're just there to be awesome.

Holy hell, that cliffhanger ending.

I guess I'm a total jaded dick, cause I don't see the big shock of what Kyubey did. I mean, what he's saying makes sense (you know, in the context of the show). If this is a more effective way for them to operate as magical girls, then whatevs. I suppose he could have been more up-front ("You never asked" is the dumbest justification for not telling somebody something. "Hey Dave why didn't you tell me you're a mafia hitman?" "You never asked." See how dumb that is?), but it was made clear to them that they couldn't go back to living the lives they were living once they signed the contract. And they don't have to be zombies. They can still be themselves. It's just that their souls are in a gem they wear instead of their body.

But if her wish was motivated by her desire to have Kyosuke love her, then it seems like it has. Hitomi tells Sayaka of her plans to confess her love for him the next day, so she has until then, but she feels she could never ask him to hold and kiss her zombie body as she tearfully explains to Madoka (again, this scene probably would have impacted me more if I understood the horror of that process, but I'm not sure I do, I'm a horrible person, yada yada yada).

Dude. She has to dedicate her life to fighting witches now. Would you want a girlfriend who, every night had to go out and "do something?" And might not ever return?

Syrinx

Dude. She has to dedicate her life to fighting witches now. Would you want a girlfriend who, every night had to go out and "do something?" And might not ever return?

Well, that seems to have more to do with the responsibilities she took on as a magical girl than having er soul placed in a gem. And like I said, I don't think anything was hidden from her in terms of not being able to live her life the same way anymore and in terms of being in constant grave danger.

Naruto Dub 4-5

Enter base Kakashi easily the best character in the series. The bell challenge shows all the flaws of our three main ninja's and also has all of them grow by the end and work as a team. One of the best lines that jumps out a lot are when Kakashi says "My friends names are engraved here" and "One who leaves their friends behind is worse then scum" especially knowing later that

MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS

I'm not sure how far along Shippuden is but for the sake of anime only viewers I'll just mark it a manga spoiler for now.

Of 629 chps, Shippuden is currently right around chp 559, before we went into a month or two of fillers and what seems to be two more months of fillers. That reveal at least didnt happen until like chp 600 or so, so maybe sometime in the fall it will happen in the anime...

Of 629 chps Shippuden is currently right around chp 559, before we went into a month or two of fillers and what seems to be two more months of fillers. That reveal at least didnt happen until like chp 600 or so, so maybe sometime in the fall it will happen in the anime...

Jeeze the anime is that far behind? Wait they did filler in the middle of the war arc? What the hell?

Good morning AnimeGAF.

That moment when one of your co-workers says good morning to you by creeping up behind you and gently rubbing your shoulders. Yup.

--------------------

Anyhow, I decided that after I finish Nadia, I'm finally going to go back and watch the entirety of Sailor Moon. It's one of those shows that I've seen large chunks of, but never in any real order or with any kind of consistency. The time is now!

Articalys

God damn, the Yuyushiki OP/ED single has the OP and ED (naturally), a third B-side song, a Vocaloid remix of each, then two more remixes of each by various Vocaloid producers affiliated with EXIT TUNES, the instrumental version of each song, and the a capella version of each song! And all for no extra cost over a usual CD single!

Ah, never mind.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know, on the bright side this has given me the incentive to sit down and finish off Hidamari Sketch (especially when anime is dead for most of the week). Lets see if I really am the Yuno of AnimeGAF.

God damn, the Yuyushiki OP/ED single has the OP and ED (naturally), a third B-side song, a Vocaloid remix of each, then two more remixes of each by various Vocaloid producers affiliated with EXIT TUNES, the instrumental version of each song, and the a capella version of each song! And all for no extra cost over a usual CD single!
Yeah, well Kill Me Baby had remixes so bad you'd never listen to them again and they were spread across three different releases of the OP/ED single. Beat that!

Theonik

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 03
iIQPRnELsFZM.png

Oh sure she only cares when she's perfectly fine with killing him when she thinks he's a thief
What a little shit. This was a pretty cool episode, the pacing felt a lot more solid this time round and I thoroughly enjoyed it to the end. The cliffhangers feel a bit odd though, like episodes just stop. It'd probably work better as a 2 hour movie or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom