• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 04

Also I'm not sure if this is intentional or bad spelling.

When in doubt, chalk it up to the Japanese not knowing how to spell English.

Naruto Dub 6-9

While I enjoyed the first real battle of the series, I must say the anime pacing is freaking awful. Seriously why on Earth is this 1:1 pacing? I get that with One Piece when the anime is only 40ish chapters behind the manga and if you did 1:2 pacing you'd get caught up and forced to enter filler hell, but the Naruto anime at this point should have been way behind the manga. Nothing about the first fight with Zabuza should have taken 3 episodes, maybe if we didn't have a flash back to something we'd seen literally 2 minutes ago the pacing would be better.

If you want anime with good pacing, you shouldn't be watching hundred-plus episode shounen adaptations. The studio's goal is to keep the show running consecutively as long as possible, quality be damned.

Taruranto

Good thing I'm watching K-On soon!

And I already watched Boku no Pico a while ago.

Did you like it? <3

Ld4R9OL.jpg

Theonik

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 06 -END-
ixDBR4hmAtmxt.png

A+ acting skills.
A pretty good ending, very bittersweet, but I suppose that was the only way this would have ended.
Quite a shame for Bernie to have to throw away his life like that.
Those kids man.
As to what I think about the work itself it was certainly not bad, I wouldn't say it was the best Gundam work but it had its moments and it was generally well made too. Some of the later stuff was pretty powerful.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gun x Sword 2

It really is like the spiritual successor to Big O. Van is the same cool customer, Dan's head kinda reminds me of Big O a bit, and he even has the put upon side-kick. It's so worth it. HIS GIANT ROBOT FALLS OUT OF A CRUCIFIX SATELLITE. Then there are the mustachios of power in this episode upon which nobody comments. They're just there to be awesome.
This was one of the shows I watched a long time ago. I'd think I'd appreciate it more if I watched it now.

Japan sounds like a lovely place. I figured people would be quite a bit less touchy there than in America.

People don't realize this, but Japanese folks are really, really touchy. The concept of personal space doesn't really exist. Hahaha. This isn't necessarily a bad thing to be honest, though there are certainly cases where I'd rather not be touched.

Hell, it's not rare to see two teenagers sitting on each other's laps totally casually without any deep, romantic implications.

People don't realize this, but Japanese folks are really, really touchy. The concept of personal space doesn't really exist. Hahaha. This isn't necessarily a bad thing to be honest, though there are certainly cases where I'd rather not be touched.

Hell, it's not rare to see two teenagers sitting on each other's laps totally casually without any deep, romantic implications.

Anime suddenly doesn't feel so strange.

It's funny how whenever Japan comes up in the vicinity of my Grandma, she always says something along the lines of "they are very clean and will never shake hands or touch each other, especially not in public." I'm always thinking "I don't think that's true anymore." Apparently it's the opposite extreme.

I'm cool with that. I also suck at personal space.

It's funny how whenever Japan comes up in the vicinity of my Grandma, she always says something along the lines of "they are very clean and will never shake hands or touch each other, especially not in public." I'm always thinking "I don't think that's true anymore." Apparently it's the opposite extreme.

Don't get me wrong. Public displays of affection and such are still pretty rare beyond holding hands, but on the whole? There's a ton of touching going on.

When in doubt, chalk it up to the Japanese not knowing how to spell English.

If you want anime with good pacing, you shouldn't be watching hundred-plus episode shounen adaptations. The studio's goal is to keep the show running consecutively as long as possible, quality be damned.

I don't need fantastic pacing, one piece does 1:1 well enough. Naruto is particular just has waaaay too many flashbacks in every single scene to draw it out mercilessly.

Flowers of Evil Episode 6 – Flowers of Evil 6 of 13

Kind of unappealing episode all around.
Kasuga just has nothing going for him and hes kind of bad for a character anyway, so I can never get attached, Saeki is apparently dying to sex (not what I signed up for). and is not innocent so thats not good either, and Nakamura is just way too into things, forward, and just ruining things. At this rate the best character in the cast is easily the girl who handed him the handout to give to Saeki...I dont know, I wasnt looking or wanting to view a romance such as this that would go all the way.

wonzo

Banned

Kasuga just has nothing going for him and hes kind of bad for a character anyway, so I can never get attached, Saeki is apparently dying to sex (not what I signed up for). and is not innocent so thats not good either, and Nakamura is just way too into things, forward, and just ruining things. At this rate the best character in the cast is easily the girl who handed him the handout to give to Saeki...I dont know, I wasnt looking or wanting to view a romance such as this that would go all the way.

whoa

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 06 -END-

A pretty good ending, very bittersweet, but I suppose that was the only way this would have ended.
Quite a shame for Bernie to have to throw away his life like that.
Those kids man.
As to what I think about the work itself it was certainly not bad, I wouldn't say it was the best Gundam work but it had its moments and it was generally well made too. Some of the later stuff was pretty powerful.

The ending got me hard; I was devastated for a long time afterwards. It's one of the best anti-war fictional works I've experienced; it drives home the futility and pointlessness of so much of war and how it's driven by top brass who have no sympathy or understanding of the lives they're wrecking beneath them.

Out of curiosity, what would you say is the best Gundam work? Personally, I would say War in the Pocket is the best Gundam work, but as it's the only Gundam work I've seen in its entirety I don't really have good standing to judge! Although, honestly, only 08th MS Team and Turn A Gundam look interesting to me out of the rest. I've seen a bit of the original TV series in its movie form, and it was only entertaining when people were slapping each other.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

WHAT THE FUCK

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Love Comedy isn't as expected show Episode 5

I don't know what is going on anymore. It was fucked up how they acted like they were disgusted he was at the same place as their studying seminar group that he wasn't invited to.

Then orange haired girl tries to act like she likes him. The fuck?

Also MC's monologue at the end of the episode was epic.

I have survived many battlefields
Yet from these Nice Girls I have never felt anything
So as I Pray! Unlimited Loner Works!

Out of curiosity, what would you say is the best Gundam work? Personally, I would say War in the Pocket is the best Gundam work, but as it's the only Gundam work I've seen in its entirety I don't really have good standing to judge! Although, honestly, only 08th MS Team and Turn A Gundam look interesting to me out of the rest. I've seen a bit of the original TV series in its movie form, and it was only entertaining when people were slapping each other.

08th is pretty much everything I love from that period of anime. It's easily my favorite Gundam-anything. Turn A is fascinating, regardless of whether you end up loving or hating it. Hahaha.

Are you there until July Ryo?

I'm in my current position until July 2014, then I gotta do some job hunting around here.

Nanoha As - 13 END

So that was Nanoha As. My final thoughts:

Pretty much that. What a wonderful, heartwarming show. It had a brilliant final act.

First off, at
Reinforce
:

I don't know how they did it, but they were able to give a BOOK character. The conflict that was going on throughout the entire show was very well done and had me on the edge of my seat. I really liked the fact that there was no real villain in the show. Almost every other anime I watched had some other asshole who was responsible for the shit the characters went through. Here however, the characters have very good reasonable motivations that actually makes them HUMAN. The whole scenario where these Guardians desperately try to save Hayate's life is very saddening and actually sort of puts our heroes in a negative light of some sorts, but that's because they didn't actually talk it out instead of fight.

The climax is wonderful seeing all these characters go for one massive rush against the program that was the source of it all.

I really don't know what else to say, I just loved it. Time to give this franchise a break though before I go on to StrikerS. Cause I have some other anime to watch.

First one is more or less an apology to those who were offended when I said I didn't like the show because of the 4kids DUB:

index_3.jpg

All right folks. I'll give the subbed version a shot and see how it goes. But alternatively:

When I saw the plot description for this, I thought to myself; "Wow this looks hilarious." It was apparently good enough to warrant a crossover with DBZ and One Piece, but I just want to hear AnimeGAF's consensus on it.

All in all, thanks to those who told me to keep going with Nanoha, cause I didn't leave disappointed. See ya next time.

When I saw the plot description for this, I thought to myself; "Wow this looks hilarious." It was apparently good enough to warrant a crossover with DBZ and One Piece, but I just want to hear AnimeGAF's consensus on it.

All in all, thanks to those who told me to keep going with Nanoha, cause I didn't leave disappointed. See ya next time.

Toriko is fun anime, I watch it every week. A few arcs in the 70's 80's are decent at best but otherwise really fun all around. Good music, creative foods and rules surrounding them, and good action. Its no One Piece but its definitely more fun and interesting than DBZ.

The ending got me hard; I was devastated for a long time afterwards. It's one of the best anti-war fictional works I've experienced; it drives home the futility and pointlessness of so much of war and how it's driven by top brass who have no sympathy or understanding of the lives they're wrecking beneath them.

Sums up my feelings exactly. I'm 1/4th through Turn A. It's alright.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Man, what if all the terrible fake yuri titty-groping scenes that are so prevalent in bad anime aren't just an otaku trope but common culturally-acceptable behavior??!?!? mind BLOWN

Nanoha As - 13 END

Pretty much that. What a wonderful, heartwarming show. It had a brilliant final act.

First off, at
Reinforce
:

I don't know how they did it, but they were able to give a BOOK character. The conflict that was going on throughout the entire show was very well done and had me on the edge of my seat. I really liked the fact that there was no real villain in the show. Almost every other anime I watched had some other asshole who was responsible for the shit the characters went through. Here however, the characters have very good reasonable motivations that actually makes them HUMAN. The whole scenario where these Guardians desperately try to save Hayate's life is very saddening and actually sort of puts our heroes in a negative light of some sorts, but that's because they didn't actually talk it out instead of fight.

The climax is wonderful seeing all these characters go for one massive rush against the program that was the source of it all.

I really don't know what else to say, I just loved it. Time to give this franchise a break though before I go on to StrikerS. Cause I have some other anime to watch.

Glad to someone enjoy Nanoha A's, which is definitely in my top 10 shows ever. I'm not going to stop you from watching StrikerS (my and mostly everyone else's disappointments are pretty apparent), but just know that you will never feel the same way about it as you did A's. EVER. Don't forget the movies too, they're Nanoha in HD and 100% awesome.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Granted, that's not so much a mark of quality as it is Toei desperately trying to use a little franchise synergy to buoy an underperforming show.

Jarmel

Banned
Sums up my feelings exactly. I'm 1/4th through Turn A. It's alright.

Quite frankly I'm really not that impressed with Turn-A. It does certain elements right such as depicting the effect of war on some of the smaller scales that typically aren't addressed in shows like these and the soundtrack is alright but there are a few issues with it that probably mean I won't rank it as high as 08 or War in the Pocket when finished. The artwork is ugly as shit which really detracts at times. There isn't any great character dynamics or great characters in particular really. Dianna and Lauren are the closest but they don't have that certain spark to them. The mecha design is unusual bordering on bad for me. The fights aren't that fun or interesting to watch and the politics angle is pretty dull. It's really not that fun of a show to watch.

The whole show feels different but not necessarily better.

Joe Molotov

Wait, why is SDBurton shipping guys in this thread? My whole world is turned upside-down! Someone needs to write some gender-swapped AnimeGAF doujins so everything can make sense again.

Nanoha As - 13 END

First off, at
Reinforce
:

StrikerS will caught you off guard because it's not what you expect. However there are some great episodes in there.it's no A's because AS is unmatched so go to strikers with a open mind and patience ( because it takes time to get good ) and you'll be fine.

CorvoSol

gundoh2b.gif

so dreamy~

OH GOD DO YOU WANT ME TO NEVER SLEEP AGAIN? The worst part is I can't tell if it is a bad gif or that that moment just really was animated that way.

Yeah...it's funny how I somehow didn't like that episode much the first time around, though I've gotten more out of it during re-watch.

Hope you enjoy the next one too. It's a fan favorite for a good reason.

There's an episode of Dexter's Lab where Dexter grows a beard to help Action Hank fight evil men with evil beards. Anything that shares that theme is perfect for me. It's also why Cervantes is the best character in Fire Emblem Awakening.

I had so many feels at the end of War in the Pocket. I did not expect to be so attached to that show going into it.

I know it wasn't directed at me, but in terms of what I have seen so far:

BEST: G Gundam
Really Good: Mobile Suit Gundam
War in the Pocket
Good: Gundam SEED
Gundam Wing
Disappointed Me, but still Good:
Zeta Gundam
08th MS Team
Not Good:
Destiny
Stardust Memory
Shamefully Bad:

Sparrow's Hotel Episode 6

The one with manager calling bro for lunch reminded me of a few times I did with my own bro, asking him to get me lunch because I was hungry and couldnt spend until the next payday. Relatable. Alright set of skits overall.

DOKI doki Precure - 14

Karuta is serious business !!

And sometimes it's even fun !

DokiDokiPrecure_14.jpg

By something amazing happens , it's obviously the release by bandai of a new precure toy.

The quality of the episode is going up again ... i'm quite liking the 4 heroines so far and even the antagonists ... they have life and use their time well .

Same with the mascots that actually have good moments.

Dokidoki precure is slowly becoming a favorite.
At this rate it will be a great season.
It also helps that the amount of stock footage is reduced at times.

trejo

I see you took my advice on spicing things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom