• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it has a lot to live up to for right now.

Interesting enough I don't think I've seen any Yuri
doujins

Wait... that doesn't work... I don't think I've seen any Heartcatch's Yuri
doujins
. I think that works.

??
i'm pretty sure i've seen them in heartcatch case.

As for doki doki i've seen a LOT of fan art already ( see above )
So they aren't that far away.

Even suite got a decent amount of stuff , so i'm not worried about doki doki , especially with stuff like this that i can find so easily.

Dead

well not really...yet
Gun x Sword 2

It really is like the spiritual successor to Big O. Van is the same cool customer, Dan's head kinda reminds me of Big O a bit, and he even has the put upon side-kick. It's so worth it. HIS GIANT ROBOT FALLS OUT OF A CRUCIFIX SATELLITE. Then there are the mustachios of power in this episode upon which nobody comments. They're just there to be awesome.
I kinda want to rewatch this

Back when it came out it was pretty disappointing, considering Goro was following up PLANETES.

But considering, he did Code Geass afterwards, Gun x Sword ended up being the last decent show he directed. It help up pretty good on a re-watch.

Some pretty standout episodes, phenomenal music and likeable cast. Halfway through the show, you get one of the best moments in mecha anime from the 2000s imo. You'll know it when you get to it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I may or may not have Rule 63'd myself in 3DCG several years back...just for fun, y'know. >>

OhgodwhyamIevensayingthis

Link, nao!

I found them! Turns out they were on my Photobucket account. I didn't even remember I HAD a Photobucket account!

6PcrFa9.png

2eJKPx5.png

01crJc0.png

I dunno, I think I'm pretty kawaii when I'm Rule 63'd.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, guys.

PV = NkT [ideal gas law]

(P is pressure, V is volume, N is particle count, k is boltzmann's constant, T is temperature)

Fnet = mg - pVg [buoyant force]

(Fnet is net vertical force on balloon. p is density of air around balloon. V is volume of balloon. m is mass of balloon. g is gravitational acceleration.)

Go nuts.

Articalys

Having absolutely nothing to do with anything else being discussed right now, and seeing this picture show up on my twitter feed, the question is raised: what's your favorite "show-within-a-show" from any anime?

edit: doesn't have to be anything in particular from this picture, by the way.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fresh Precure 01:

This is my third Precure series, my buddy recommended it to me, but frankly this intro is terrible. Not just the OP, that's bad too, but I mean the introduction to the characters and setting is absolutely terrible. Plus these villains are already boring me to tears.

The main character is like a really bad prototype of Cure Happy combined with all of Koishikawa Miki's (Marmalade Boy) worst traits.. Her name is Love. ... yeah. Also the ferret-thing isn't that cute tbh. Go back to Negima where you belong! (yes I know that's an ermine, shut it!)

OMG THE FUCKING KEYS KILL THEM IN A FIRE! These designs are terrible, everything from the actual designs to the clothes they wear are fucking awful. The acting is the work of seiyuu who can't be bothered to even try, like they knew they were working with crap. Even the fucking transformation animation is boring as fuck. The goddamn music can't be bothered to be interesting.

Coming off of Smile and Heartcatch this is about as phoned in as it can get.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ok, guys.

PV = NkT [ideal gas law]

(P is pressure, V is volume, N is particle count, k is boltzmann's constant, T is temperature)

Fnet = mg - pVg [buoyant force]

(Fnet is net vertical force on balloon. p is density of air around balloon. V is volume of balloon. m is mass of balloon. g is gravitational acceleration.)

Go nuts.
What's the probability distribution of snow over, say, one square foot?

Having absolutely nothing to do with anything else being discussed right now, and seeing this picture show up on my twitter feed, the question is raised: what's your favorite "show-within-a-show" from any anime?

Sensei and Ninomiya-kun were one of my favorite parts about Minami-ke.

As a side note, I once played the Mahou Shoujo Pururin theme continously for about half an hour before I started to get responses (just banging on the walls/ceiling) from the dorms above and to the side of me. That was fun.

Fresh Precure 01:

This is my third Precure series, my buddy recommended it to me, but frankly this intro is terrible. Not just the OP, that's bad too, but I mean the introduction to the characters and setting is absolutely terrible. Plus these villains are already boring me to tears.

The main character is like a really bad prototype of Cure Happy combined with all of Koishikawa Miki's (Marmalade Boy) worst traits.. Her name is Love. ... yeah. Also the ferret-thing isn't that cute tbh. Go back to Negima where you belong! (yes I know that's an ermine, shut it!)

OMG THE FUCKING KEYS KILL THEM IN A FIRE! These designs are terrible, everything from the actual designs to the clothes they wear are fucking awful. The acting is the work of seiyuu who can't be bothered to even try, like they knew they were working with crap. Even the fucking transformation animation is boring as fuck. The goddamn music can't be bothered to be interesting.

BUT THEY HAVE BREASTS!

But of course, coming off the high peaks would makes things less interesting, even though I think Suite is kinda weak anyway.

SDBurton has unleashed something beautiful into this world.

I think I should do more research...

Narag

Rewatching that 00 movie clip has me realizing how referential it is to other stuff. My disgust with the movie prevented me from realizing that!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Pootan, no question. Fuck I really need to rewatch Cromartie High School some time soon.

Fresh Precure 01:

Seriously i totally understand you.

Fresh is so hard at first .. everything feel "rough" and uninspired.

It does get better in a couple of episodes , but damn if the first set of episodes isn't a kill joy.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
SDBurton has unleashed something beautiful into this world.

Fresh Precure 01:

Hang in there!! Believe it or not this season has one of the strongest OTPs in the entire franchise, if not THE strongest.

Overlord at work - 06
I just realised that i kinda like the OP of this anime.

Now the episode itself was "alright" since we returned in "comedy" mode even if it seems that the plots still continues.
The interractions between Overlord and hero are quite good and the mix of situations very intresting.
Can't wait to see how the new character will fit into the mix.

Jintor

I have to agree with Mac (and I am writing this through clenched teeth, so to speak) that Emi did not have a very good showing in the otherwise action-packed Episode 5 of maou-sama

Syrinx

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 8

This is one of those shows where shit goes down every damn episode isn't it?

Sayaka's descent into hatred and madness is really tough to watch. Especially the way she spoke to Madoka and blamed her for her sacrifice and suffering. Madoka is really getting dragged through the mud emotionally here. She had to watch one friend die, and now watch her best friend deteriorate. And then she blames herself for everything. Damn.

Speaking of that, that was the first time I've seen Homura act with any emotion whatsoever. She obviously has some attachment to Madoka, or she obviously wouldn't react the way she did to Mafoka torturing herself like that. Though her coming so close to becoming a magical girl probably prompted some of that response.

Homura calls Kyubey "the Incubator". At the end he says that much lime young women are girls, young witches are magical girls. So the magical girls now are the future witches. Which is probably why Homura doesnt want Madoka becoming one. Because with her immense oower, once she becomes a witch, the same world is doomed. Or so I assume

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 8

This is one of those shows where shit goes down every damn episode isn't it?

Sayaka's descent into hatred and madness is really tough to watch. Especially the way she spoke to Madoka and blamed her for her sacrifice and suffering. Madoka is really getting dragged through the mud emotionally here. She had to watch one friend die, and now watch her best friend deteriorate. And then she blames herself for everything. Damn.

Speaking of that, that was the first time I've seen Homura act with any emotion whatsoever. She obviously has some attachment to Madoka, or she obviously wouldn't react the way she did to Mafoka torturing herself like that. Though her coming so close to becoming a magical girl probably prompted some of that response.

Homura calls Kyubey "the Incubator". At the end he says that much lime young women are girls, young witches are magical girls. So the magical girls now are the future witches. Which is probably why Homura doesnt want Madoka becoming one. Because with her immense oower, once she becomes a witch, the same world is doomed. Or so I assume

You're getting CLOSE

Random post for bottom of the page

Gargantia reminds me of Mars Daybreak
They both have water planets, pirates, and scavengers. Though Gargantia doesn't have the same adventure story vibe. Amy is also much less annoying than the love interest in Mars Daybreak.

Patlabor: the Movie

So now the setup of the Babylon Project during the OVAs bears fruit. The exposition to reintroduce it at the beginning was a bit clumsy, especially since the pilot is telling it to two members of SV2 who presumably know it all already. But the amusing touch of cutting to them having fallen asleep during the lecture makes me forgive that.

Once the early dump of exposition is past, you get a tight, engaging sci-fi crime drama. There's not much character work to be found, which is why I'm glad I watched the OVAs first, as they give me a context so I can care about these characters. Instead, the focus is squarely on the plot - the discovery, investigation, and thwarting of a technological crime in progress. There's a lot of terminology and entities involved, but the story doesn't get bogged down in them and the twists and turns it goes through are enjoyable to see unravel. Oshii is nothing if not a master of mystery and foreboding.

Perhaps my favorite sections of the movie are where the investigator is tracking down Hoba's past residences, and you get these dialogue-less stretches of him and his assistant walking through wastelands of broken-down houses and trash heaps, set to the slow, atmospheric music that Kenji Kawai is best at. There's such a strong sense of wistful melancholy for a past that now exists only in scattered fragments. The remorseless, relentless march of time cannot be stopped.

Thematically, I was most struck by the film's warning of the danger of heavy reliance on technology. And it's not the typical robots rise against their masters tale that sci-fi likes to tell. Instead, the message is that
when advanced technology beyond the understanding of many becomes commonplace, all it takes is one genius who can bend it to his well to cause mass chaos and destruction. It's not the machines you have to be afraid of, it's the people making the machines. That's a more accurate assessment of the situation in the world and a more valuable warning for us to heed.Now, as hacking becomes increasingly visible with its great potential for harm, this message is more relevant than ever.

There were a good number of striking and bold shots, and if I make some time I'd like to take apart of few them in detail in the future. I look forward to digging into Oshii's storyboards and the other production materials and interviews contained in my special edition of the DVDs. I only wish that more film releases had this much useful bonus material.

The biggest weakness of the film, I felt, was the lack of development for the villain and his motivations. I suppose this isn't a surprise, since
he dies at the very beginning of the film
, but it robs the story of a vital force that could have given it more substance. The ending climax, while exciting on a setpiece level, did feel a bit hollow as a result. The copious Biblical references seem superficial, at least at first glance. The poignant moments of reflection only accentuate the times where the film draws back from engaging with its material.

Ultimately, this felt halfway between a police procedural thriller and the heavy, contemplative philosophizing of Ghost in the Shell. I wish it had leaned more in the latter direction, but it was still a very good film.

JCG

Back when it came out it was pretty disappointing, considering Goro was following up PLANETES.

Which was a rather strange expectation to have in mind, when the two shows are almost nothing alike.

Planetes is a mostly realistic depiction of how certain aspects of life in space could work in the near-future. It's also based on a manga.

GunxSword is a Space Western with Super Robots. There couldn't possibly be less realism involved in that sort of show.

But considering, he did Code Geass afterwards, Gun x Sword ended up being the last decent show he directed.

I'd really have to disagree on that. GunxSword doesn't have quite the same low points as Code Geass, probably because there was less messing around behind-the-scenes and the writer was a different person, but it has other issues (which don't prevent me from liking the series, for the record), and I think the best parts of both shows aren't that different in quality, especially not from a directorial perspective.

Then again, Taniguchi hasn't really directed anything else on TV after R2. Rather curious, since I don't think he'd have trouble finding work.

Dead

well not really...yet
Which is a rather strange expectation to have in mind, when the two shows are nothing alike.

I'd really have to disagree on that. GunxSword doesn't have quite the same low points as Code Geass, probably because there was less messing around behind-the-scenes and the writer was a different person, but it has other issues and I think the best parts of both aren't that different in quality, especially not from a directorial perspective.

Then again, it is worth mentioning Taniguchi hasn't really directed anything else on TV after R2.
How is it strange to expect the next work of a particular director to be of similar quality to his previous one? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom