• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

How is it strange to expect the next work of a particular director to be of similar quality to his previous one? lol

I'd say that depends on the specifics of the situation.

Were they trying to appeal to the same target audiences or age groups? No. Do they belong to the same genre? No. Were they made using the same tones, techniques or subject matter? No. Is the rest of the staff similar? No, there's some overlap but they're not really the same.

If you hear that someone who just did a very good personal drama/realistic slice-of-life series is going to work on an fantasy/sci-fi giant robot show next, it would be reasonable to have adjusted expectations as opposed to keeping them on a similar level. Some people do drama better than robots, or robots better than comedy, or comedy better than drama, etc. And you can break that down into specific sub-genres even more.

Here, have a higher-quality version of your avatar! dat compression.

sc5jLYF.png

THANKS!

Then again, Taniguchi hasn't really directed anything else on TV after R2. Rather curious, since I don't think he'd have trouble finding work.

Taniguchi actually has a new TV show coming out this summer: Fantasista Doll. Sort of. He's not directing the show, but he is its original creator and "creative producer".

Spice and Wolf II 00

Bow to the power of Brain Base. :eek:

The shift in animation studio is pretty noticeable not just in how it looks, but the pacing of the show, the interactions between the characters, all the fun stuff. And, I like the change.

The episode itself was oddly paced, as it was almost like a clip show without much clips being shown. But, it was enjoyable and I'm completely ready to watch season 2 now.

Branduil

Let's just fill the movie with incomprehensible CGI battles fought by characters with unknown motivations against unidentified enemies. This is some good stuff, Anno. You've invented a cure for acute insomnia.

Narag

You're just now watching it for the first time? I haven't worked up the courage yet.

I'd waited so long to watch it and I find myself putting it off day in and day out. I liken it to a dreaded doctor or dental appointment where you know you're going to get bad news but you can live willfully ignorant as to whatever the details might be until you finally get to that appointment.

I'd waited so long to watch it and I find myself putting it off day in and day out. I liken it to a dreaded doctor or dental appointment where you know you're going to get bad news but you can live willfully ignorant as to whatever the details might be until you finally get to that appointment.

The good news is that in this case, you don't have to go to the appointment.

JCG

Taniguchi actually has a new TV show coming out this summer: Fantasista Doll. Sort of. He's not directing the show, but he is its original creator and "creative producer".

I know, but to me that's different. It really seems like he just came up with the original idea ("hey, let's make a series about dolls!") and managed to get himself properly credited for it, which isn't really the same thing as personally handling the show. At best he's going to be providing useful advice, and at worst he'll be the backseat driver who gives the actual director instructions, as opposed to getting his hands dirty and doing what needs to be done.

That said, I'll still check this out for curiosity's sake. It's not what I'm usually into though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can't wait until the hopes of the people still desperately clinging to the belief that Rebuild is all an elaborate troll and that 4.4444444 S: Suckening is going to have some kind of genius mindfuck payoff that makes it all retroactively worth it are violently crushed.

I can't wait until the hopes of the people still desperately clinging to the belief that Rebuild is all an elaborate troll and that 4.4444444 S: Suckening is going to have some kind of genius mindfuck payoff that makes it all retroactively worth it are violently crushed.

I just hope it continues to troll Evangelion fans.

Jarmel

Banned

The true troll is that there isn't one.

trejo

The genius part is that, in every scenario, Anno wins.

Erigu

Having absolutely nothing to do with anything else being discussed right now, and seeing this picture show up on my twitter feed, the question is raised: what's your favorite "show-within-a-show" from any anime?
I've never watched the actual thing, but I remember having a great time reading an "All About Geki Ganger 3" booklet that was included with some Animage issue.

Hidamari sketch star 10

Yuno lost her keys! Great eps with something for all the ships. You should never try to pick a lock if you don't have the skills. High chance of one fucking it up permanently.

Branduil

LOL what a fanservice-convenient "curse."

I have to say it is amazing that Shinji is somehow the least hateable character in this. Well, I guess
Touji's little sister
is okay so far. But that's it.

Having absolutely nothing to do with anything else being discussed right now, and seeing this picture show up on my twitter feed, the question is raised: what's your favorite "show-within-a-show" from any anime?

edit: doesn't have to be anything in particular from this picture, by the way.

Well that pic did remind me of Binkan Salaryman, which is fuckin hilarious. Pootan is second I guess.

Branduil

Oh wow I'm shocked that
their decision to treat Shinji like a monster without explaining anything led to him skipping town at the first chance.
When did Misato become a complete moron?

Mature

No matter what happens, entertainment will be had. Whether it's through a genius mindfuck, or the collective whining of the fans.

Patlabor: the Movie
The biggest weakness of the film, I felt, was the lack of development for the villain and his motivations. I suppose this isn't a surprise, since
he dies at the very beginning of the film
, but it robs the story of a vital force that could have given it more substance. The ending climax, while exciting on a setpiece level, did feel a bit hollow as a result.

I actually think that this is one of the more interesting things that the movie does (amidst a lot of other very well done moments).
Because the villain dies at the beginning and isn't particularly developed (at least as an active participant in the plot as opposed to backstory and set up), the film is instead very focused on the idea of technology running amok being the danger the characters face. Specifically, in the case, technology which isn't completely understood by the people who use it (or the people in charge), and which is relied on for everything. The pervasive operating system which has its hands in everything is the real villain.
I think that developing the nominal antagonist any more would have robbed us of this, plus the scene at the beginning where
he unleashes that amazing grin as he drops down
is one of the more iconic scenes of the movie (or at least, the one that stands out most strongly in my mind).

Jex

Oh wow I'm shocked that
their decision to treat Shinji like a monster without explaining anything led to him skipping town at the first chance.
When did Misato become a complete moron?

You should probably at least mention that this is an Evangelion 3.0 spoiler because there's no context to your post!
So does anything actually happen in this movie.

Not really.

wonzo

Banned
Mad Bull 34 4 END

RIDING BEAN may be the perfect self contained OVA but I'd argue this is the perfect OVA series. The way Kazuo Koike's insane male power fantasies works with this utterly amazing dub job have me at a complete loss for words. This should be at the very top of THE LIST purely just for how amazing it is.

If you're only gonna watch one gory cheesefest anime in your lifetime, be sure to make it this one. Do it for Sleepy.

madbull343d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom