• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

So I see that anime-GAF was drinking my salty tears over
Euphemia
all night or morning or whatever it is for you people. I can't say it was an entirely bad job, setting it up, since the show does warn you that these sort of things are possible, but at the same time, that
Lelouch's powers would trigger on a command to kill all Japanese
does happen to be convenient enough to strain credulity.

Either way, he's officially the villain now. I don't even care about the Quaker Oats King of Britannia anymore. The Evil King of Baron is small fries. Cecil Kururugi needs to get in there and kill Golbez and Pizza Hut and put an end to this nonsense. Pretty damn sure this is the burning of a bridge here.

EDIT: And I dread seeing little racist lesbian girl's reaction to all of this.

Tizoc

^Oh please for his ability to work on her when he says that exact sentence out of the fucking blue is just ridiculous, they could've at least set it up better than him doing it by accident.

Do you mean the 'dōjin' released by Shigeto Koyama, Atsushi Nishigori & Hiromi Wakabayashi's BLA circle? These:

http://bokusatudotcom.blogspot.com.es/2009/12/vol.html
http://bokusatudotcom.blogspot.com.es/2010/12/c79.html

It is difficult to find both of them in good condition (and cheaply) anymore... even decent scans of it are scarce, right now.

That's the one! Sucks it's rare to find but I want it so bad XO.

Narag

Macross : Do You Remember Love

What a wonderful movie, its may not have deep message but its have craft and passion on it.. Its just entertainment for about 2 hour, and I can't speak enough for the production value because my god..

Minmay also look glorious.

I'm a bit sad its still not
her route
but oh well.. there's few thing that TV series does it better but I think I just look to this movie again when I miss the series because I think its packed the story well for its own and elevate some element and oh boy I can't switch off from this quality again.

And Ai Oboeteimasuka still the best Macross Song, I had the same chill in SRW Alpha stage when this song played as BGM, so good.. I will rewatch this movie many time.

<3 the Max/Milia fight. One of my favorite bits on animation.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So I see that anime-GAF was drinking my salty tears over
Euphemia
all night or morning or whatever it is for you people. I can't say it was an entirely bad job, setting it up, since the show does warn you that these sort of things are possible, but at the same time, that
Lelouch's powers would trigger on a command to kill all Japanese
does happen to be convenient enough to strain credulity.

Either way, he's officially the villain now. I don't even care about the Quaker Oats King of Britannia anymore. The Evil King of Baron is small fries. Cecil Kururugi needs to get in there and kill Golbez and Pizza Hut and put an end to this nonsense. Pretty damn sure this is the burning of a bridge here.

ok these got a big laugh out of me. oh and btw: they're just getting warmed up.

Quaker Oats King of Britannia...I can't stop laughing

EDIT: And I dread seeing little racist lesbian girl's reaction to all of this.

Oh yeah :lol buckle up homeslice

fertygo

<3 the Max/Milia fight. One of my favorite bits on animation.

Its goddamn good, the TV one are not slouch either.. I can't decide which one that I prefer, despite budget difference.

Max/Millia are my favorite couple too.

Btw from /XX/ link looks I must watch Megazone 23 next.

CorvoSol

In my defense, he DOES look like the guy from the Quaker Oats box. If you sort of squint.

OOH, it's Thursday. I need to check my sanity at the door today so I can enjoy Valvrave with the rest of you.

Jex

Jojo 2012 had some pretty nice 3-tone shading from time to time, didn't it?

Most of the time now it's used for the occasional shot rather than as the entire design approach e.g. here:

when most of the show looks like this:

CorvoSol

So, some other thoughts real quick: While I applaud Code Geass for having the audacity to endear a character to an audience and then destroy that character completely in an irreparable way, I have some questions:

1. Why has nobody noticed the string of people acting out of character lately? The "Orange" incident, Suzaku fleeing and now this? Someone in the military will hopefully put two and two together soon.

2. Why has Lelouch taken such a roundabout path to victory? I mean, one can assume that King Quaker XIII will not actually be effected by his Geass since that's too easy, but since Lelouch doesn't know that, why not just order a chain of people to defend him and take him to see the King and then order the King to release Britannia and kill himself? Starting a revolution seems like a lot of extra work.

Oh boy it's Thursday which means MaouDonalds today! And Super Metroid

ShwUDmJ.gif
All of my patience has paid off!!

/XX/

Sorry, when people talk about "three tone shading" they're usually making a veiled snipe at the 'otaking' dude who made that short Doctor Who animation with the five tone shading.

But yeah, it looks pretty god like. Of course, it takes a lot of work, presumably too much work.
As long as we have people like Jun Arai & Masami &#332;bari we can still expect some shading goodness!

That's the one! Sucks it's rare to find but I want it so bad XO.
Yeah, sorry... although there is always hope for a re-edition in the future. For example, Hiroyuki Imaishi's WANTED old series of stories for the INK BOTTLE 'd&#333;jin' circle were released again recently as a volume called IBC 01 (INK BOTTLE COMICS 01) at past COMITIA 103.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So, some other thoughts real quick: While I applaud Code Geass for having the audacity to endear a character to an audience and then destroy that character completely in an irreparable way, I have some questions:

1. Why has nobody noticed the string of people acting out of character lately? The "Orange" incident, Suzaku fleeing and now this? Someone in the military will hopefully put two and two together soon.

2. Why has Lelouch taken such a roundabout path to victory? I mean, one can assume that King Quaker XIII will not actually be effected by his Geass since that's too easy, but since Lelouch doesn't know that, why not just order a chain of people to defend him and take him to see the King and then order the King to release Britannia and kill himself? Starting a revolution seems like a lot of extra work.

1. They probably do, but it's hard to really understand what's going on if the characters who would notice don't know about Geass and would go "OMG mind control powers? you cray"

2. Do you mean "release Japan/Area 11?" I think (at least at this point in the story) his goal is not only revenge on the Big Man, but also to dismantle the current Britannia system as a whole and make it crumble; for the most part he has a big hatred for most of the nobility and all that. But yeah, I get where you're coming from.
also, without saying too much, you'll find out in R2 that your plan wouldn't work anyways

- The cover of Afternoon is announcing an adaptation of Knights of Sidonia by Tsutomu Nishi. (The manga is published in the U.S. by Vertical.)

- Studio 4C's collaboration with Toyota continues with Drive Your Heart, a spin-off of their Peace Eco Smile series of shorts. It'll premiere at the AnimeparTy Festival May 18-19 in Shanghai. Could this be the Studio 4C film JD Bahi was working on?

- Speaking of Bahi, he recently tweeted concerning his experience working on (presumably) Space Dandy at Bones:

I'm very happy working on the current animation project. Full artistic freedom. Felt the same on Koji Morimoto&#12373;&#12435;'s project last month. ^^

For point 2 , lelouch arrived at the conclusion that attacking britania directly is not possible ( after cornelia fight ).
After that point he carefully placed his pieces even if this means taking this path

Smile Precure 18

2UL89.gif

Cure Girls do Sports Things

So Speed would obviously have Nao in first, Akane in second, Reika and Miyuki tied, with Yayoi in last place. Because of that, Yayoi overheard people shit talking her. Assholes.
2Ud1A.gif

This was interesting, in regards to Red Demon's speech of combining their powers and still losing, considering in the relay race, Nao ends up tripping (which started to become obvious considering the stakes and the amount of time it focused on her legs). I couldn't get a feel good once they cheered for Yayoi because Nao ended up falling. In the end, they were in last place. So this episode is a bit of a predicament, despite Nao saying it doesn't matter if we win or lose.

4 more episodes until doomsday

Jex

Rewatching Gargantia - 6 allowed me to pick up on a line that has slightly altered my perception of the very end of the episode:

It seems like this could be some classic foreshadowing.

Ok, now that Nanoha is all finished, time to re-watch Doremi, and also:

Yup. I figured I should give it a shot considering the massive amount of praise it's gotten.

One question though, I know that there's an English dubbed version of the show that was heavily edited (a la how 4Kids works). But is there another English dubbed version that doesn't do that?

EDIT: Damn image hosters...

Cardcaptor Sakura 20-21

Another main character (for the time being anyway) has joined the fray, and she is in fact a Chinese ojou-sama who lusts for Li-kun (I'm not writing Shaoran because fuck that name!). I get the feeling Meilin's supposed to be a love rival sort of character, but she's pretty much used for comic relief more than anything so far. Hopefully she develops a bit more by the end of the show/her stay, and even if she doesn't she's still cute as fuck.

cajunator

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 20-21

Another main character (for the time being anyway) has joined the fray, and she is in fact a Chinese ojou-sama who lusts for Li-kun (I'm not writing Shaoran because fuck that name!). I get the feeling Meilin's supposed to be a love rival sort of character, but she's pretty much used for comic relief more than anything so far. Hopefully she develops a bit more by the end of the show/her stay, and even if she doesn't she's still cute as fuck.

She doesn't really, but shes a cute diversion.

Chronoexe

Smile Precure 18

2UL89.gif

Cure Girls do Sports Things

So Speed would obviously have Nao in first, Akane in second, Reika and Miyuki tied, with Yayoi in last place. Because of that, Yayoi overheard people shit talking her. Assholes.
2Ud1A.gif

This was interesting, in regards to Red Demon's speech of combining their powers and still losing, considering in the relay race, Nao ends up tripping (which started to become obvious considering the stakes and the amount of time it focused on her legs). I couldn't get a feel good once they cheered for Yayoi because Nao ended up falling. In the end, they were in last place. So this episode is a bit of a predicament, despite Nao saying it doesn't matter if we win or lose.

4 more episodes until doomsday

I shed a tear at the end of this chapter.

I love your avatar.

cajunator

Banned
Also I have watched the introductory episodes of the Precures in smile. That's enough to know that Yayoi is indeed the best. Screenshots and episode impressions, and fanart only continue to solidify my stance.

Jex

Cardcaptor Sakura 20-21

Reading this post got me thinking about the characterisation in the two magical girl shows that I am currently watching, Cardcaptor Sakura and Doremi.

I'm on episode 37 of Cardcaptor Sakua and yet the main cast has barely changed at all. Sakura is still late for school, she's still got a crush on Yukito, she's still easily frightened and so forth. Tomoyo, Li and the rest are similarly static characters who show no sign of changing any time soon.

Meanwhile, Doremi has far more complicated protagonists who actually develop as the series progresses, especially Hazuki who develops a lot of confidence in herself. All the characters have flaws too, and can actually mess up and do bad things. Even the side characters in Doremi are better. For example, there's one girl in Doremi's class who is a compulsive liar, something which really upsets Aiko. During the course of an episode we explore this girls problems and actually go some way to altering her behaviour. Cardcaptor Sakura also has a character who lies all the time but in that series it's just played for laughs.

Now, I understand that Cardcaptor Sakura and Doremi are very different shows attempting to do pretty different things but I still think it's fair to compare the two at this level. The writing in Doremi just allows for far more interesting and multifaceted characterisation. More proof that Doremi is the secret best magical girl show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom