• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Musashi Gun-doh 01:

OHHHHHH THE TIME HAS COME TO STAND UP FOR TOMORROW
WE ARE GHOST BUSTERS
NO FEAR FOR ANYTHING IN OUR WAY

I've been waiting for this for years, and it doesn't disappoint. This is truly North Korea's magnum opus of animation and it's truly a testament to the ingenuity of making the most of limited resources that starving peasants were able to produce a television show on early 90s Compaq desktop PCs with MS Paint. I never thought I'd see Brave 10-tier action sequences again but it was beaten at its own game by years.

Welcome to the fold.

Hataraku Maou-Sama 7

Kimonos vs MgRonalds

2UUPa.jpg
2UUYN.jpg

Emi, stop falling down the stairs every time!

Kimono girl is moving into Chiho's turf, we're going to have a fight soon!

Syrinx

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 11

Yep.

Why didn't Homura just tell Madoka that because she is such a powerful magical girl, she'll destroy the world when she inevitably becomes a witch, and that its either lots of people die now, or everybody dies soon?

Well, too late now. Don't see how they can pull a positive ending out of this.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hataraku Maou-sama 07:

Emi continues to prove she's a dumb clutz and has no appreciation when Maou saves her. Chiho is still best girl, kimono girl is at least cute, but I don't buy the love act.

Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water - Episode 28-29

That wasn't so bad. I actually kind of liked these episodes! Actual character progression! Grandis, Sanson, and Hanson! Animation that isn't completely awful!

Am I out of the fire yet?

Yep.

Why didn't Homura just tell Madoka that because she is such a powerful magical girl, she'll destroy the world when she inevitably becomes a witch, and that its either lots of people die now, or everybody dies soon?

I did say the last episode (10) was the last major mind screw. But lets see the ENDING

So is Maou basically a psuedo-harem, waifu war thing now? I think I bailed at the right time.

More plot than most harems. There's not much hareming going on though, although it is actually clear Kimono Girl is moving into one characters turf considering the boxed lunch she gave him had a heart on it.

KoiChoco 4

ibzV0nxRzh7JdG.jpg

I'm too lazy to gif anything, but I assure you that there were butt shakes prior to this.

For a show adapted from an eroge, KoiChoco certainly takes itself more seriously than expected. Though this seriousness in the election isn't exactly grabbing me, it's mostly the Food Club members being goofballs. And what the fuck at that ending,
why would you bully someone voiced by Mai Kadowaki? These cunts are off the wagon

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 091
Oh I'm so ready for the purity. We are living in a brand new world.
People getting crushed by the power of hearts is something that still amuses me even after so much Precure.

I'm enjoying the sexy a lot. This was a very strong follow-up even if it had to fall on yet another ploy to get little girls to buy the newest Sailor Moon. Ironically, this episode also had copious amounts of animal abuse for a plot that was supposedly about saving stray kittens.

wonzo

Banned
Musashi Gun-doh 01:

OHHHHHH THE TIME HAS COME TO STAND UP FOR TOMORROW
WE ARE GHOST BUSTERS
NO FEAR FOR ANYTHING IN OUR WAY

I've been waiting for this for years, and it doesn't disappoint. This is truly North Korea's magnum opus of animation and it's truly a testament to the ingenuity of making the most of limited resources that starving peasants were able to produce a television show on early 90s Compaq desktop PCs with MS Paint. I never thought I'd see Brave 10-tier action sequences again but it was beaten at its own game by years.

Welcome to the way of the GUNDOH!

Syrinx

I did say the last episode (10) was the last major mind screw. But lets see the ENDING

Honestly...I think you guys overhyped that episode. Don't get me wrong; it was a great episode, but I didn't particularly see what was so "mindfuck" about it. There were revelations, but nothing that I would classify as a mindfuck.

Maybe it wasn't the same without then impending months of having to wait to see the ending.

Thoraxes

Yep.

I'm pretty sure they answered that with a general dealio, but I don't remember when so I won't talk about it yet.

Honestly...I think you guys overhyped that episode. Don't get me wrong; it was a great episode, but I didn't particularly see what was so "mindfuck" about it. There were revelations, but nothing that I would classify as a mindfuck.

Maybe it wasn't the same without then impending months of having to wait to see the ending.
That, coupled with week-to-week discussion, really brought that out.

That's because it's the worst of the mind fuck episodes because it doesn't do much, but just watch the last episode, it won't scare you. I'm being very serious about that.

Syrinx

That's because it's the worst of the mind fuck episodes because it doesn't do much, but just watch the last episode, it won't scare you. I'm being very serious about that.
I'm not entirely sure what you just said, but okay.

I'll watch the ending later. The hockey is about to start.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 091

Oh I'm so ready for the purity. We are living in a brand new world.
People getting crushed by the power of hearts is something that still amuses me even after so much Precure.
S stock is so good, even down to the eyecatch.

Do you get the metaphor Ikuhara is using here?

This was a very strong follow-up even if it had to fall on yet another ploy to get little girls to buy the newest Sailor Moon. Ironically, this episode also had copious amounts of animal abuse for a plot that was supposedly about saving stray kittens.
I don't know if you've noticed, but from the first ep S features much more energy in character interaction, and it really steps up the comedy as a result.

...and wouldn't you know it, next ep is the first Ikuhara S ep.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 31:

So, I decided to burn through the rest of this over the next couple of days so that I can finish SuperS and maybe pick up Doremi. Nothing special in this particular episode, but then I hit the ED, and GANBALANCE DE DANCE?!?!?!?!?!? Since I watched Yes 5 first, my mind is blown to fuck. Why did it not become a franchise tradition for every ED2 to be this song?

Nyaruko OVA

This presumably came out a long time ago, but I missed it. Anyway:
AOo3fH0l.jpg

While artycalis pointed out the seiyuu reference in OreImo a while ago, I think this is the first overt reference to Hyouka that I've seen in one of these referential animu. It's probably the only time anyone will refer to Hyouka too... mostly because it's Hyouka. lol

How fitting.

Tenumi

Banned
The Devil is a Part Timer: 07

So new girl is a neighbor, and apparently in love with Maou. Seriously, girl, don't do it! Too much competition, and there's no way you can beat this one. You aren't nearly adorable enough to accomplish that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Do you get the metaphor Ikuhara is using here?
That cajunator's fixation for catgirls is dangerous, obviously!
Please indulge me.
I don't know if you've noticed, but from the first ep S features much more energy in character interaction, and it really steps up the comedy as a result.
At first I chalked that up to the relative bump in animation quality, but yes, the banter/general chit chat between the Scouts feels a lot more vibrant starting with Rei's little drama in the previous episode.

cajunator

Banned
CardCaptor Sakura - 1

Well it's time to view that masterpiece known as CardCaptor Sakura. And my thoughts after seeing the first episode?

Honestly, that opening was way better than Nanoha's opening. Sakura has a much more realistic introduction with her initially not accepting the task of collecting all those cards.

I also like how the whole thing was an accident, and that she just heard that little thing snoring the whole time.

So she is tasked with finding all the cards from the book, that she accidentally released. So am I going to enjoy this little anime adventure of Magical Fifty-Two Pick Up? Well it's looking good so far, so I am indeed optimistic.

But now...time for me to go back three years and take another look at Doremi. Hopefully the subbed version erases those atrocious memories that I have of the English dub. Anyways time to watch!... Right after some Code MENT.

The opening to CCS is one of the best. The episode opener was also pretty good. Simple but explanatory and made sense.

So is Maou basically a psuedo-harem, waifu war thing now? I think I bailed at the right time.

It always was but its more obvious now.

Yep.

Some of the effect is diminished going right into episode 11 instead of waiting a month, but episode 10 really cleared up many things, and episode 11 sets up for the finale. Episode 12 impressions I am eagerly awaiting however.

At any rate, Maou looked promising at it's start, but has seemingly devolved into the kind of mass produced garbage we get in spades every season. Too bad.

Maou-sama is trying to capture several audiences. Theres nothing really wrong with that given the fact that otaku are the one who buy things. Until other demographics buy anime in droves, the companies will cater to the market that buys a product and what their tastes are. That's just the way it is. the show isn't super fanservicey, it just has multiple girls in it. Hardly a reason to really fault it. It was pretty obvious that it would turn into that kind of show from the start when Chiho had feelings for Maou and Emi was there.

jgminto

The Devil is a Part Timer: 07

So new girl is a neighbor, and apparently in love with Maou. Seriously, girl, don't do it! Too much competition, and there's no way you can beat this one. You aren't nearly adorable enough to accomplish that.

Kimono girl will get her heart broken. Can't mess with Chiho.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That cajunator's fixation for catgirls is dangerous, obviously!
Please indulge me.
Haha. Well, the truth is still pretty amusing. Monsters that steal victim's hearts by methods of seduction.

Ikuhara isn't really good at keeping to demographic. Oh, and better yet, none of this was in the manga, not heart crystals nor the monster of the week actions.

At first I chalked that up to the relative bump in animation quality, but yes, the banter/general chit chat between the Scouts feels a lot more vibrant starting with Rei's little drama in the previous episode.
You also see multiple actions going on in the same shot, which didn't really happen much before.

1mOWNpo.jpg

She has a powerful weapon on her hands.

Hataraku Maou-sama! 7

Fun episode.

Emi hitting Maou after saving her was really unneccesary. She should really be a little bit nicer to him since he hasn't caused any trouble since crossing over. Oh and stop wearing high heels on that staircase. Kimono girl was really cute. Her meeting Chi should be fun, especially after Chi's bento freakout.

Also the clerk at the store was a badass.

Almost choked on my KFC biscuits when this came up.

Metrotab

Banned
Samurai Champloo - 18

What was that about this being the start of a second season? Anyway, this episode was great because it starred Norio Wakamoto! He had a fun role too.

Cardcaptor Sakura 22

Ultimately a touching episode involving Sakura and her dad, but the fact that
Sakura could have used the Time card (that line about her using every card had to have been bullshit) to fix her dad's computer
really irked the hell out of me. I think some clow cards require just a bit more depth than others if stuff like this is going to happen.

cajunator

Banned
So Hentai neko is a pretty good show. One of the more likeable protagonists and I don't hate any of the girl characters. I like the whole "liar liar" aspect where he can only speak what hes thinking, yet he still doesn't come across as a total dick. Tsukiko is adorable in that hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom