• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading this post got me thinking about the characterisation in the two magical girl shows that I am currently watching, Cardcaptor Sakura and Doremi.

I'm on episode 37 of Cardcaptor Sakua and yet the main cast has barely changed at all. Sakura is still late for school, she's still got a crush on Yukito, she's still easily frightened and so forth. Tomoyo, Li and the rest are similarly static characters who show no sign of changing any time soon.

Meanwhile, Doremi has far more complicated protagonists who actually develop as the series progresses, especially Hazuki who develops a lot of confidence in herself. All the characters have flaws too, and can actually mess up and do bad things. Even the side characters in Doremi are better. For example, there's one girl in Doremi's class who is a compulsive liar, something which really upsets Aiko. During the course of an episode we explore this girls problems and actually go some way to altering her behaviour. Cardcaptor Sakura also has a character who lies all the time but in that series it's just played for laughs.

Now, I understand that Cardcaptor Sakura and Doremi are very different shows attempting to do pretty different things but I still think it's fair to compare the two at this level. The writing in Doremi just allows for far more interesting and multifaceted characterisation. More proof that Doremi is the secret best magical girl show.

This doesn't surprise me despite the fact that I have less experience in those two than you. I think Heartcatch Precure gave me a good idea on how character development is handled.

A lot of development with CCS characters is more on how everyone is connected from what I've witnessed, but there hasn't been much of a change otherwise.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I never noticed Smile Precure! does the three-tone thing.

EDIT: I see SDBurton stopped caring about Gunbuster as soon as Sumisu was introduced. You wound me, SDBurton.
And another link for you, because I know you like Sugi's 'caffè latte' works:

Twitter / Nowtoo: @Ao929 今はここまで出来ています!
https://twitter.com/Nowtoo/status/334975198644289536

Beautiful art.
Oh yeah...

The second s in "SuperS" is just stylized. When referenced verbally the cast says "Supers" (as in just the plural) and above the english text on logo is "suupaazu" in katakana.
2 Sailor 2 Moon

KoiChoco 3

izxEFaz9QRgJQ.jpg

How the fuck does this school work? There are teenagers who work in god damn factories because I guess they had to pay their tuition that way, but I've never seen a class take place yet and it looks like these jerks just have fun all day! And sensei's line on how
students choose the teachers
just makes this whole situation make even less sense.

Just give me my Morishita butt already so I can stop overthinking.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 46

I can't decide who I hate more: Sarah Zabiarov or Rekkua Londe. Probably Rekkua, her character has just plummeted from a cool, capable woman to a useless piece of arm candy for Sriracha. Like, legit, she went from being one of the best characters to being another woman fawning over Sriracha for no reason.

OH NO KATZ SNUCK OUT AGAIN? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Yeah Katz, killing her boyfriend will TOTALLY make Sarah love you. This time for sure! I mean, it isn't like she hasn't ditched you at her earliest opportunity TWICE or anything. No, this is totally worth jeopardizing everything over.

Is anyone other than Char, Bright, Emma or Kamile NOT an idiot on this show? I swear. If I have to hear "MASTER PAPTIMUS!" one more time, I dunno. At least there's some intrigue in this episode with Sriracha assassinating Jamitov. I might despise him, but Sriracha is at least a decent villain.

And also the Qbalet looks like Metal Gear RAY.

YESSSSSSSSSSS
SARAH IS DEAD
!!! THANK YOU GOD OF MECHA FOR HEARING MY PRAYERS!

Naruto Shippuden 313

Awful filler that's been split into at least a 2 parter.

The only redeeming thing about the episode was seeing some of the Konoha 12 (Shikamaru/Sasuke) as children again.

Really why does Naruto have so fucking many fillers? You get always something like 15 eps of canon material and then it goes back to fillers. Every single time. And those fillers last for at least a month every time. Canon material is still decent enough to watch but fillers have been always utter shit in Naruto.

Really why does Naruto have so fucking many fillers? You get always something like 15 eps of canon material and then it goes back to fillers. Every single time. And those fillers last for at least a month every time. Canon material is still decent enough to watch but fillers have been always utter shit in Naruto.

Arent they kind of close (I counted the anime is just 70 chapters away from current). Going at 3 chps an episode, theres only like 20 or so episodes until current. I guess it makes sense to give a few months of filler instead of trying to find a stopping point at these next events (I dont see any good stopping point...)

I love Naruto Shippuden, but I will say I was nearly a bit angry that this is a 2parter, why is Yota so annoying and gets two whole episodes...

Yota has that annoying child voice that could drive anyone up a wall.

The sad part is that the filler could have been decent if they had just focused on when they were children. Because those scene with the Shikamaru, Choji, and Ino crying together and Sakura wanting to eat with Sasuke was utterly adorable.

Filler isn't all that bad though.

13_85312_11.jpg

Steroyd

Studio Pierrot.

I'll never forgive them for doing the same thing to Beelzebub and in that case they were laughably nowhere remotely close to catching up with the manga.

Studio Pierrot.

I'll never forgive them for doing the same thing to Beelzebub and in that case they were laughably nowhere remotely close to catching up with the manga.

This is why the bad guys of Smile Precure wants to revive Studio Pierrot. To ruin more anime.

Arent they kind of close (I counted the anime is just 70 chapters away from current). Going at 3 chps an episode, theres only like 20 or so episodes until current. I guess it makes sense to give a few months of filler instead of trying to find a stopping point at these next events (I dont see any good stopping point...)

Isn't 3 chapters per episode pretty crazy pace for long running shonen anime? Doesn't One Piece use something like one chapter per episode (which is too little I admit). With two chapters per episode there would be material for 35 eps if that 70 chapters ahead is true( not to mention that its not like the manga stops while they would do canon episodes). They should at least try to cover current
war
arc and then go full filler mode. It's damn annoying to have fillers during on going arc.

Studio Pierrot.

Oh yeah... Now I remembered the animation studio behind the Bleach fillers too....

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Because such things are irrelevant to him.

is it nice up there on that pedestal?

I see my pairing is bringing dat hatesex magic!

I never noticed Smile Precure! does the three-tone thing.

EDIT: I see SDBurton stopped caring about Gunbuster as soon as Sumisu was introduced. You wound me, SDBurton.

I'll finish it either today or tomorrow. On that Moretsu train right now. Though I may be drinking later depending on the 2nd character vote results for SkullGirls.

CorvoSol

The Vision of Escaflowne 26

Okay, so, let me get this out of the way, first: THAT'S IT? THE BOY WAGES A GODDAMN WAR FOR YOU, YOU REALIZE YOU LOVE HIM, AND YOU JUST GO "K THX NVR FRGT U BAI!"?!?!?!

GOD HITOMI YOU ARE THE WORST. THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

Okay, getting that out of the way, the final showdown between Alan and Van was freaking awesome. Where some Mecha becomes nothing but a pathetic array of lasers flying everywhere as jumbled mecha fly incoherently in circles, this was an actual battle, a duel in which every move mattered, and the choreography was expertly done. Only further pointed out what utter shit Gundam 00's battles are.

The Zone of Absolute Fortune was a scary idea on paper, but that it just turned out that EVERYONE wished for war was a little disappointing. Still, Dornekirk's lament, that he could control fate no more than he could turn lead into gold, was pretty moving. The scene where we see the spirits of departed souls was kinda cool, too. Especially seeing Fulcan with two cat honeys on his arms.

The Vision of Escaflowne is a really great series, even if Hitomi inexplicably friendzones Van at the last second. The battles are awesome, the twists might bendingly glorious, the whole thing just really, really good, the whole way through. Thank you, Anime-GAF, for the recommendation.

Steroyd

Isn't 3 chapters per episode pretty crazy pace for long running shonen anime? Doesn't One Piece use something like one chapter per episode (which is too little I admit). With two chapters per episode there would be material for 35 eps if that 70 chapters ahead is true( not to mention that its not like the manga stops while they would do canon episodes). They should at least try to cover current
war
arc and then go full filler mode. It's damn annoying to have fillers during on going arc.

It's semi dependent on the content covered in the chapters to, the One Piece manga packs alot of stuff in, in each chapter so Toei can get away with stretching a chapter out and fleshing out some parts while moving the story along on a per episode basis, that said you can feel the strain of 1 chapter per episode in the One Piece anime.

Oh yeah... Now I remembered the animation studio behind the Bleach fillers too....

Studio Pierrot is the devil I tells ya!

cajunator

Banned
Maou-sama 7

A kind of "eh" episode introducing a new character. A few scenes really stood out but I was otherwise pretty uninterested, though their seems to be promises of things getting real next episode.

Chiho is still everything in the show anyway. Who needs a new character?
Sometimes its best to keep things simple.

I see my pairing is bringing dat hatesex magic!

I'll finish it either today or tomorrow. On that Moretsu train right now. Though I may be drinking later depending on the 2nd character vote results for SkullGirls.

Not hate. Just a little lovers quarrel.

Theonik

Arakawa under the Bridge x Bridge xx
Why can't I contain all those muscles.

Angel Beats the shitty special
Most anticlimactic "Tension" ever

Soul Eater 01
Awesome! Need more of this in my system pronto.

Yukitate Japan 02
Re-inventing thousands of years of bread tradition.

Rewatching Gargantia - 6 allowed me to pick up on a line that has slightly altered my perception of the very end of the episode:

Link : Image

It seems like this could be some classic foreshadowing.
I've mentioned it on IRC before but basically it could also mean
that this was not a hideauze at all and just an actual squid. I'm curious as to where they take this story.

cajunator

Banned
Arakawa under the Bridge x Bridge xx
Why can't I contain all those muscles.

Angel Beats the shitty special
Most anticlimactic "Tension" ever

Soul Eater 01
Awesome! Need more of this in my system pronto.

Yukitate Japan 02
Re-inventing thousands of years of bread tradition.

I've mentioned it on IRC before but basically it could also mean
that this was not a hideauze at all and just an actual squid. I'm curious as to where they take this story.

Yaktate! Japan gets soooooo much better! The reactions in the show are priceless. Absolutely unequivocably priceless.

BluWacky

My pickup from Rightstuf's latest Funimation sale:

ia2Yyhx.jpg

What an excellent selection (even if I can't stand Slayers, I recognise its place as a beloved anime comedy). If you're coming to these all completely fresh you're in for a treat.

Jexhius said:
Now, I understand that Cardcaptor Sakura and Doremi are very different shows attempting to do pretty different things but I still think it's fair to compare the two at this level. The writing in Doremi just allows for far more interesting and multifaceted characterisation. More proof that Doremi is the secret best magical girl show.

Doremi is character-centric, whereas CCS is arguably not (and also "suffers" from being a manga adaptation padded with filler, where it's bound to hitting character beats when the manga tells it to but having to vamp for episodes at a time until it gets there).

That reminds me I need to watch x, it's on my shelf next to samurai champloo, gun x sword, chrono crusade, flcl, and a few other series I've never seen but own on dvd

CorvoSol

Code Geass 23

Lelouch is a craven, slimy bastard and I hope his rebellion crumbles beneath him as Suzaku rains fire on his head. Whatever value his rebellion had, it lost itself the moment he was willing to use Euphemia to get what he wanted. Oh, to be sure, the command issued was accidental, but instead of stopping her, he stood back and let it happen, then
killed her to cover his tracks
, rather than save her or spare her. He can say he's doing this for Nunally till he's blue in the face, but its clear he doesn't give a damn about what anyone wants other than himself. He does not love Nunally, that's obvious now. He uses her as a shield behind which he can cower, a salve to soothe his wounded conscience when he's confronted about all his bullshit. All he wants is to stick it to daddy, and Nunally can hang with the rest for all he really cares. He's building all this talk of freedom and equality on a lie stained in blood of better people. To be honest, I'm not even sure if Clovis was as bad as he made us think now.

At least Code Geass had the stones to actually make Lelouch the villain, though. Gundam AGE could've been a MUCH better show if they'd gone this route with Flit.

Oh and Little Lesbian Racist Girl is freakin' out.

Seriously, even the hilarious United States of Japan isn't enough to get me to root for Lelouch's side now.

Tenumi

Banned
The Devil is a Part Timer: 5 & 6

Well, that fight with
Lucifer
was pretty cool. A chance for everyone to flex their strength a bit.

...And now
Lucifer
is living with the two guys. OK then.
New character at the end?

Also, because I've never voiced my opinion on the matter, how can anybody say no to this face?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yota has that annoying child voice that could drive anyone up a wall.

The sad part is that the filler could have been decent if they had just focused on when they were children. Because those scene with the Shikamaru, Choji, and Ino crying together and Sakura wanting to eat with Sasuke was utterly adorable.

Filler isn't all that bad though.

13_85312_11.jpg

Good lord

jgminto

Hataraku Maou-sama! 7

I don't like kimono girl. She just shows up and thinks she can steal Chiho's turf? That's not gonna happen! Luckily her personality starts and ends at her kimono so she clearly pales in comparison to Chiho. Seems like we'll see some more other world interaction next episode. That should be fun.

Not a great episode this week. A weak first half, but it picked up near the end when Chiho showed up and Emi had her encounter. Hopefully they don't waste too much time on kimono girl in the future.

Chiho>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Emi>>>Kimono girl

Andrew J.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 46

I can't decide who I hate more: Sarah Zabiarov or Rekkua Londe. Probably Rekkua, her character has just plummeted from a cool, capable woman to a useless piece of arm candy for Sriracha. Like, legit, she went from being one of the best characters to being another woman fawning over Sriracha for no reason.

OH NO KATZ SNUCK OUT AGAIN? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Yeah Katz, killing her boyfriend will TOTALLY make Sarah love you. This time for sure! I mean, it isn't like she hasn't ditched you at her earliest opportunity TWICE or anything. No, this is totally worth jeopardizing everything over.

Is anyone other than Char, Bright, Emma or Kamile NOT an idiot on this show? I swear. If I have to hear "MASTER PAPTIMUS!" one more time, I dunno. At least there's some intrigue in this episode with Sriracha assassinating Jamitov. I might despise him, but Sriracha is at least a decent villain.

And also the Qbalet looks like Metal Gear RAY.

YESSSSSSSSSSS
SARAH IS DEAD
!!! THANK YOU GOD OF MECHA FOR HEARING MY PRAYERS!

What do you think of Yazan Gable?

JCG

Code Geass 23

At least Code Geass had the stones to actually make Lelouch the villain, though. Gundam AGE could've been a MUCH better show if they'd gone this route with Flit.

I'd say the show can be interpreted both ways, though his transparent "damn the means, I want the ends" nature definitely gets quite villainous at this point in the story and the actual material doesn't really shy away from allowing you to support that position.

To paraphrase what someone from the staff once said, Lelouch is clearly a villain when/if you take a look at him from Suzaku's perspective, so it's not surprising that you're reaching the same conclusion. Which doesn't stop different people from rooting for him, but that's another can of worms.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nyaruko OVA

This presumably came out a long time ago, but I missed it. Anyway:
AOo3fH0l.jpg

While artycalis pointed out the seiyuu reference in OreImo a while ago, I think this is the first overt reference to Hyouka that I've seen in one of these referential animu. It's probably the only time anyone will refer to Hyouka too... mostly because it's Hyouka. lol

Nyaruko OVA

This presumably came out a long time ago, but I missed it. Anyway:
[.IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AOo3fH0l.jpg[/IMG]

While artycalis pointed out the seiyuu reference in OreImo a while ago, I think this is the first overt reference to Hyouka that I've seen in one of these referential animu. It's probably the only time anyone will refer to Hyouka too... mostly because it's Hyouka. lol

Well at least they are decently current with their references.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Musashi Gun-doh 01:

OHHHHHH THE TIME HAS COME TO STAND UP FOR TOMORROW
WE ARE GHOST BUSTERS
NO FEAR FOR ANYTHING IN OUR WAY

I've been waiting for this for years, and it doesn't disappoint. This is truly North Korea's magnum opus of animation and it's truly a testament to the ingenuity of making the most of limited resources that starving peasants were able to produce a television show on early 90s Compaq desktop PCs with MS Paint. I never thought I'd see Brave 10-tier action sequences again but it was beaten at its own game by years.

CardCaptor Sakura - 1

Well it's time to view that masterpiece known as CardCaptor Sakura. And my thoughts after seeing the first episode?

Honestly, that opening was way better than Nanoha's opening. Sakura has a much more realistic introduction with her initially not accepting the task of collecting all those cards.

I also like how the whole thing was an accident, and that she just heard that little thing snoring the whole time.

So she is tasked with finding all the cards from the book, that she accidentally released. So am I going to enjoy this little anime adventure of Magical Fifty-Two Pick Up? Well it's looking good so far, so I am indeed optimistic.

But now...time for me to go back three years and take another look at Doremi. Hopefully the subbed version erases those atrocious memories that I have of the English dub. Anyways time to watch!... Right after some Code MENT.

Thoraxes

Hataraku Maou-sama! 7

I don't like kimono girl. She just shows up and thinks she can steal Chiho's turf? That's not gonna happen! Luckily her personality starts and ends at her kimono so she clearly pales in comparison to Chiho. Seems like we'll see some more other world interaction next episode. That should be fun.

Not a great episode this week. A weak first half, but it picked up near the end when Chiho showed up and Emi had her encounter. Hopefully they don't waste too much time on kimono girl in the future.

Chiho>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Emi>>>Kimono girl

Stealing stakes in the losing side isn't much to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom