• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% 07

fRSvlMP.jpg

Yep, sums it up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
wonzo, step back and think about this instead of doing a kneejerk response. Adult male fans didn't ask for it. From what I hear, female fans didn't ask for it. I dunno about kids asking for it.

Apparently the decision was made to expand the franchise, and then liquor or lines of coke got involved. Granted, coked out staff can sometimes produce amazing results, but it's not like this was really calculated or anything.

Soma

VulvaRave Episode 06

iJamdvtVDbgdV.jpg

Featured this episode: Best girl doing best girl things.

This show has seriously gone from being my least favorite of the "mech" series this season to being one of the few airing anime shows I look forward to each week. There has been no shortage of entertainment in the past few weeks and this episode was no different. The
body swapping
scene was great (with Takahi's reaction to it) and I hope there's more of those to come. I actually really liked the space battle scene this episode especially when mixed in with the silly social media antics and the
scorned idol
flashbacks.

So good.

Also,
rip moses-san ;_;

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Except now he's doing the series as a whole too, with no picking up midway and no movie to direct on the side.
Is there any place I can read about Sailor Moon's production issues in general? I'm interested in seeing just why R turned out so... bipolar?
Haruka sitting out to give a handicap in that race = Minako sitting out much of the first two seasons.
to be fair that racing game looks as broken as Mario Kart.

edit: The Equestria Girls thing reminds me of All Grown-Up. Yikes.

Ojamajo Doremi 7

It's finally the witch exam!

Doremi gets the shit end of the stick again

In the mean time, it was mostly a Pop episode, with free washable panties! Because that's what the demograph wanted.

The ending sort of reminds me of how (Heartcatch spoilers)
How in the Precure exam, despite Tsubomi passing her final test, she got the short end of the stick in comparison to the other Precures since it was something they dealt with when they became Desertrians

Ezalc

Gun x Sword 3

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG. The Eldora 5 reminded me of Power Rangers AND Gao Gai Gar, and the feels collided as the awesome exploded and old man heroic courage battles and returnings from the dead and SO AWESOME SYNTAX FAILURE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Yes. This is what I was waiting for. Now then, WHERE THE FUCK IS MY EL DORA SOUL 5 FIGURE ROBOT SPIRITS?!

Nafe

A few things were stated in quick succession:

1. They were exhausted (or at least expected to be by Fiore)
2. The meteor was going to crash if not burn up on reentry killing them all, except...
3. The kisenian would then still fall to Earth in this case.
4. Everyone would be fucked even if they did bail.

Not the same situation.

Okay, it's been long enough that I probably forget the specifics of the movie. It's not like I would mind a re-watch at some point thought. :)

I remember
Fiore's(or at least the flower controlling him) original plan was to have the meteoroid crash and the kisenians spread but I thought the Sailor Senshi had defeated him as I remember all the plants disappearing. I thought it was more of a "Well, you might have foiled my plans but I can still kill you."

I only recall Usagi setting up a barrier with the crystal and the girls using their power to help reinforce it as the meteoroid disintegrated around them. I just figured if it was basically falling apart and burning up anyway with the barrier only there to protect them, then why didn't they just teleport? I guess the kisenians were still around at that point and the Senshi's powers weren't only just protecting themselves but actually destroying them as well?

I guess a re-watch sometime would help.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is there any place I can read about Sailor Moon's production issues in general? I'm interested in seeing just why R turned out so... bipolar?
I'm kinda curious myself. All I know is that the switch was made, but Ikuhara frontloaded his episodes and had the movie to work on, then Satou didn't do any in R, but returned to do eps for S, Supers, and Stars (all fantastic, btw).

Okay, it's been long enough that I probably forget the specifics of the movie. It's not like I would mind a re-watch at some point thought. :)
Not the flower youma, the core flower on Fiore's chest (like an Utena duel rose). Fiore withdrew everything else, but the evil influence remained.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Night Raid 1931 - 9

It's good to see the team functional yet so deficient when so disjointed and separated from each other. It's also interesting to see the loyalties of Yukina
(who's already had her loyalty questioned but her resolve to hold her promise to always work against her brother is obviously faltering. In addition to him showing up only to strengthen that. what is his game?)
, Natsume
(saying that'd he'd fight for Japan expansion if it mean stopping famines and such...somehow? :/ Dude's kinda stupid, imo.)
and Aoi
(who after his kidnapping is possibly taking a more dangerous and more sympathetic view of Isao and his goals.)
falter and waiver in the light of new information and conflict with their personal ideals (even Kazura to a small extent
does he help his buddy Aoi, or does he stay loyal to their boss Sakurai?
)

So good to see the aspects of the show that made it good back into the fold. The power games, the betrayals, the covert sneaky espionage. The standoff between Aoi and Kazura was pretty slick though short. I don't know if I sit with Aoi or Kazura on the issue that caused all this.
sorry Aoi, that's a rough ending but we all saw it coming not matter how much you wanted it.

ApsAQuh.png

That was one hell of a fucked up memory, dude.

wonzo

Banned
wonzo, step back and think about this instead of doing a kneejerk response. Adult male fans didn't ask for it. From what I hear, female fans didn't ask for it. I dunno about kids asking for it.

Apparently the decision was made to expand the franchise, and then liquor or lines of coke got involved. Granted, coked out staff can sometimes produce amazing results, but it's not like this was really calculated or anything.
Um, I was making a joke on Branduil's "target audience" line (and the self identified "bronies" that get pissy about stupid shit) rather than putting to blame any group other than Hasbro for this monstrosity but okay???

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Um, I was making a joke on Branduil's "target audience" line rather than putting to blame any group other than Hasbro for this monstrosity but okay???
Sorry, it looked exactly like a line said seriously before multiple times elsewhere.

Articalys

Idle thought of the day: have there been many cases where a voice actor/actress has been given the role for a character not because of typecasting (i.e. Kugimiya and tsunderes), but because the character is a direct reference/inspiration from a previous character the seiyuu played?

Idle thought of the day: have there been many cases where a voice actor/actress has been given the role for a character not because of typecasting (i.e. Kugimiya and tsunderes), but because the character is a direct reference/inspiration from a previous character the seiyuu played?

I'm just pulling this out of my ass, but Kaori Mizuhashi voicing Miyako and Mami really didn't seem like a coincidence. Though really their only similarities are being blonde and well endowed.

Yukari Tamura plays a lot of "joke" mahou shoujo characters too, like Moetan, Meruru, and I think in Gal Gun.

CorvoSol

Honestly
by accidentally brain washing her into a Japanese hating whack job the only thing he could do for her was kill her. Considering how much she tried to fight the geass influence and how much it made her suffer what other choice did he have. I do like the speculation that lelouch subconscious made the power activate because he wanted to continue the fight and win on his terms

Except that
foremost, Lelouch COULD have stopped her. That's the most damning thing here. There's no reason a physically fit (and in spite of not being athletic, he IS fit) young man could not catch up to a woman running in HIGH HEELS and train, especially since Euphemia isn't trained to run in high heels. Second, while the show DOES play up the fact that killing Euphemia after that is merciful, I don't buy that for an instant. She was going to revoke her claim to the throne. She and Suzaku could have walked away from all of it, even after the bullets were fired. She wasn't responsible for what happened, and she deserved better than to die for Lelouch's petty aspirations. Third, though, is that Lelouch wanted to ruin Euphemia and be a hero and he DID want to kill her, all the way back in the hotel. Oh sure, he cried after the fact, but can you even be certain that he's crying for her? I don't think he is. Not Lelouch. He's crying because things didn't go down the way he wanted. When he kills her, all he says to himself is "you may have been the first girl I ever loved." He didn't spare a single thought to her passing, and I do not regard using her the way he did and then profiting from the absolute violation of all his sister had striven for "the least" he "could do" for her.

He did it because he wanted it done, and it was conveniently laid out for him. He'd already demonstrated wanting each and every aspect of what happened in episode 22 prior to what actually did happen. As to whether or not he always wanted destruction, I disagree with that, too. Lelouch talks a big talk about bringing down the system and making a better world and such, but that isn't what this is about. This is about killing the King of Quaker Oats because
daddy didn't acknowledge him when he was little, and because he can't accept the fact that DADDY KILLED MOMMY and didn't give a damn about HIM.
This isn't about anything BUT revenge, and it isn't about anyone BUT Lelouch. He's a vile, petty, slimy, selfish person, and it explains every move he has made thus far, right down to
wiping Shirley's memories of him, which I'm sure he found very noble, even if it was the stupidest move ever.

Lelouch is the villain, through and through.

The same way the Imperium of Man is the good side in a 40K story; by comparison.

I . . . am not familiar with this reference I'm afraid.

Yes. This is what I was waiting for. Now then, WHERE THE FUCK IS MY EL DORA SOUL 5 FIGURE ROBOT SPIRITS?!

Speaking of Robot Spirits, I wish I could find a cheaper Robot Spirits ARX-8 Laevatein. 50+ is too much to ask.

Narag

I feel like I should know older examples of this but I can't recall anything at the moment.

Nafe

Not the flower youma, the core flower on Fiore's chest (like an Utena duel rose). Fiore withdrew everything else, but the evil influence remained.

Doesn't the flower girl on his chest get vaporized by Usagi's powers and Fiore regains himself and disappears before the whole scene with the girls using their powers to assist her in riding out the meteoroid? After that whole bit he comes back to give Mamoru the flower to revive Usagi then right? Since she had already purified him.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I . . . am not familiar with this reference I'm afraid.

In Warhammer 40K, there are a lot of different races with their own back stories. The Imperium of Man is the future of humanity in the 40K universe. They're kinda shit heads but the Imperium is more or less the default group. They're horrible, but are they worse than the Necrons or the Orcs? Idk.

here's a crash course (specifically on the Imperium): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Doesn't the flower girl on his chest get vaporized by Usagi's powers and Fiore regains himself and disappears before the whole scene with the girls using their powers to assist her in riding out the meteoroid? After that whole bit he comes back to give Mamoru the flower to revive Usagi then right? Since she had already purified him.
None of which would have happened if they teleported.

I like to assume that Sugita was cast to voice Yataro from Cuticle Detective Inaba because he basically looks like Switch from Sket Dance.

wonzo

Banned
... Isn't that pretty much typecasting?

Sorry, it looked exactly like a line said seriously before multiple times elsewhere.
It's cool. To clarify I don't really care what people watch and enjoy, it's just the super obsessives types that bring home all the wahjah that fascinate me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, speaking of coked out productions. That one OT thread got me to watch Maximum Overdrive, which was fun but kinda dragged in the last third.

Articalys

... Isn't that pretty much typecasting?
There's a difference between casting due to similar character traits and casting as part of a whole character reference. For example, now that I think about it, I believe there were some characters in one of the first two Hayate no Gotoku seasons that were all straight parodies of characters from other series, voiced by their respective actors.

Nafe

None of which would have happened if they teleported.

That's what I mean though. Usagi would defeat the flower, purifying Fiore and he disappears so he's no longer on the meteoroid which removes any threat. Now they would use Sailor Teleport to transport themselves safely back to Earth and the meteoroid would just break up and disintegrate in the Earths atmosphere like it does in the movie anyway instead of them risking their lives trying to ride it out.

Narag

There's a difference between casting due to similar character traits and casting as part of a whole character reference. For example, now that I think about it, I believe there were some characters in one of the first two Hayate no Gotoku seasons that were all straight parodies of characters from other series, voiced by their respective actors.

Hah, reminds me of this scene from that show. Still wonder if it's happened in non-referential comedy stuff.

Valvrave the Liberator 6

Saki is the best girl.
"I feel like a bird - no wait, since I'm a vampire now, make that a bat!
The one-liners keep coming.
Swag Haruto
was great too; hope there's more like that. Having someone who embraces the perks of being a Valvrave pilot makes for a good foil for Haruto.

The battle scene was pretty fun, especially with more social network nonsense and clever integration of the flashbacks. I like the way this series does the cockpit cutaways during combat; it makes for a more dynamic flow than always cutting between exterior and interior shots, especially when the cutaways grow to take over the whole screen.

C0uzPNr.jpg

It's also nice to keep the characters in view, because the mecha designs continue to be atrocious. Seriously, what is this monstrosity.

78yHokj.jpg

On the one hand, this feels tailor-made for toys, since there's a lot of parts you can move around and pose. On the other hand, it seems like they'd be pretty clunky and awkward to play with, with parts spiraling out all over the place.

Mature

Yep! Toru Furuya, best known for being Amuro Ray in the Gundam series, voices Tooru Amuro in Detective Conan.

tumblr_m9luwqCVJL1qbzw5lo1_400.jpg

Steroyd

I like to assume that Sugita was cast to voice Yataro from Cuticle Detective Inaba because he basically looks like Switch from Sket Dance.

You could say that because he voiced as Switch's voice synthesis program that he was cast as Chamber in Gargantia.

Musical chairs is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom